AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2017-08-13, 19:08   Link #4261
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
A strategy which he abandoned last week.
...Damn it, Gohan.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-13, 19:46   Link #4262
Hakai

Really hope SSG Goku keeps his regeneration/healing abilities(more like hope toei doesn't forget about it...)

That was one of the things that made the form somewhat unique, unlike other Super Sayan forms it was more than just a simple power boost.
Old 2017-08-13, 20:07   Link #4263
Calca
Expressionless

Poor Cus. We'll always remember Gowasu's epic Godtube videos. Be sure to hit his like and subscribe button everyone!
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-13, 21:15   Link #4264
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calca View Post
Poor Cus. We'll always remember Gowasu's epic Godtube videos. Be sure to hit his like and subscribe button everyone!
Biggest loss right there.
Old 2017-08-13, 22:21   Link #4265
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Not that it'll even happen, but emotionally I think it might be cool if Gohan wound up being a final boss or somehow defeating Goku...

I know Toriyama's utter hatred of the character will never allow this. But in-terms of good story telling having Gohan truly be pissed off by pops and challenging his perceptions of what power/fighting is could be an epic series kind of thing...

No one else could relay the message of how truly effed Goku really is for all of this...

Again, I know its slim since Dragonball has once again decided it hates the $hit outta Gohan...I don't know why. Its saving animators a ton never having to draw him as a SSJ blue, green, gold, pink, ravishing-red or looking in any way cool...
Old 2017-08-14, 05:02   Link #4266
Hoodspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Not that it'll even happen, but emotionally I think it might be cool if Gohan wound up being a final boss or somehow defeating Goku...

I know Toriyama's utter hatred of the character will never allow this. But in-terms of good story telling having Gohan truly be pissed off by pops and challenging his perceptions of what power/fighting is could be an epic series kind of thing...

No one else could relay the message of how truly effed Goku really is for all of this...

Again, I know its slim since Dragonball has once again decided it hates the $hit outta Gohan...I don't know why. Its saving animators a ton never having to draw him as a SSJ blue, green, gold, pink, ravishing-red or looking in any way cool...
What? Toriyama absolutely loves Gohan. He planned to make him the Main Character after all.
It were the fans that didn't want to let go of Goku and refused Gohan back then (20+ years ago).
His love for him is the reason why Gohan keeps coming back despite not being a warrior in mind and doing no training between his big fights, but suddenly gets competitive again through unique out of nowhere powerups like the 1day dance.
And it is his love that will make Gohan be the last one standing next to Goku to fight whoever is left on the nemy side (if we go by the opening).
If we would go by consistency that spot would belong to Vegeta.

Fans nowdays are more acceptive of Gohan than back then. While a character like Goku would fail horribly if released nowdays.
The social aspect in shounen mangas became much more important, and Gohan fulfills that role way better than Goku. I like him when he is not fighting too. He provides some good slice of life comedy.
I wish he would just get his life he wants, living peacefully without being dragged to back into end of the world battles and suddenly has to become one of the top universe fighters quickly again.
I started DB when the social aspect didn't matter that much and DBZ wasn't available in my country for a long time after DB had aired here for several years already.
I'm too used to the old formula of it's all about Gouke and he is a battle maniac and doesn't care for anything else except a few friends. I don't mind him being a neglecting father who doesn't care about his wife either beyond a stupid promise and just is a training freak, because of that. It's simply not important for his base character.
That's why the GokuxCaulifla has a huge popularity momentum currently. She would be the perfect disciple he dreamed of all the time. Power hungry, Lust for battle and the will to surpass the teacher.

Last edited by Hoodspirit; 2017-08-14 at 08:23.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-14, 07:19   Link #4267
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
Then why was Gowasu in that arc?
Because the villain of the arc was his apprentice.

I think you're confusing alternate/parallel timelines and Universes.

Alternate timelines are created by time travel, and Trunks came from U7 of one of them. Each of the alternate timelines (IIRC there are about four or five of them) features 12 different Universes. Zamasu came from U10 of yet another alternate timeline and could freely travel between timelines and Universes thanks to the time ring he stole from Gowasu.

To make this even more confusing, each Universe has a twin (U6 and U7 have the same races and planets) and they could therefore be considered parallel Universes, but they aren't really.

I suggest you read the manga version of the Black arc if you haven't because everything is explained better in it.
Old 2017-08-14, 15:10   Link #4268
Robotech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodspirit View Post
What? Toriyama absolutely loves Gohan. He planned to make him the Main Character after all.
It were the fans that didn't want to let go of Goku and refused Gohan back then (20+ years ago).
This has long since been disproven as a myth perpetuated by some people within the fandom.

It's true that Toriyama definitely doesn't hate Gohan though, and since Super gave him back his Mystic power I'm sure the Toei staff like him too. For all we know Gohan getting his power back for the ToP was in Toriyama's notes.
Robotech Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-14, 16:15   Link #4269
n0m@n
C-Z

Toriyama was the one who both promoted and demoted Gohan's role as a MC in the Buu saga. So it doesnt seem like Gohan would be his favourite character. I think he mentioned Piccollo was his favourite character when an interviewer asked him. Though he answered Goku being his favourite in a different interview.
Old 2017-08-14, 20:26   Link #4270
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodspirit View Post
"Loved" not "love" (although "utterly hates" was more my annoyance so I admit that)...

He caved to fan pressure and that's happened before, but he has had literally 300 episodes /chapters or maybe even 20 years to correct this...and its clear at this point he decided not to really augment that...What makes it worse is that he'll throw Gohan fans a bone here and there only to let it fizzle into nothing...

However in this arc, Gohan is the perfect foil to what Goku is doing...And its a natural and organic disposition that is soul of his character...Rather than juice that up, I see yet another missed opportunity to elevate him...
Old 2017-08-14, 21:11   Link #4271
Calca
Expressionless

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0m@n View Post
Toriyama was the one who both promoted and demoted Gohan's role as a MC in the Buu saga. So it doesnt seem like Gohan would be his favourite character. I think he mentioned Piccollo was his favourite character when an interviewer asked him. Though he answered Goku being his favourite in a different interview.
He promoted Gohan, but the readers and the editor forced him to bring back Goku.

Toriyama had every intention of making Gohan the main character after Cell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
This has long since been disproven as a myth perpetuated by some people within the fandom.

It's true that Toriyama definitely doesn't hate Gohan though, and since Super gave him back his Mystic power I'm sure the Toei staff like him too. For all we know Gohan getting his power back for the ToP was in Toriyama's notes.

No actually this is a real thing. Gohan was going to be the main character.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-14, 21:41   Link #4272
justavisitor

The problem with the poor Gohan is that he does not even have his own cast. The closest thing he has as "friend" is Krillin, but Krillin is a generation above Gohan..

If Gohan could build his own cast after the cell arc then he could have a chance to become the mc...but the chance has been lost

We all love Gohan because of his ruthless killing to cell jr and he was one of the smarter guys before the cell arc...but since then, gohan becomes an expert in messing things up. Heck even Piccolo says so in super XD (and if my memory is correct, some audiences in the last episode also wondered if Gohan would mess up again). I am afraid Gohan has fallen too far for saving

And why would gohan be at odds with goku? No one can fight against the angels. We are pretty much down to route where goku would eventually try some other methods to revive everyone. If the angels block that move and thus become the antagonists, Goku wouldn't sit still. If goku sits still then gohan would first have to beat goku, then challenges the angels, which is almost impossible to happen
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-14, 22:31   Link #4273
Robotech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calca View Post
He promoted Gohan, but the readers and the editor forced him to bring back Goku.

Toriyama had every intention of making Gohan the main character after Cell.

No actually this is a real thing. Gohan was going to be the main character.
He had the thought, but it was never about fan or editor reactions that he backed out of this. That's a myth, and there are direct quotes from Toriyama saying that Gohan just didn't work as main lead and he made that determination while he was writing Gohan's high school stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKw3ZiAfKNk
Old 2017-08-14, 23:23   Link #4274
Blueknight78

Quote:
He had the thought, but it was never about fan or editor reactions that he backed out of this. That's a myth, and there are direct quotes from Toriyama saying that Gohan just didn't work as main lead and he made that determination while he was writing Gohan's high school stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKw3ZiAfKNk
well i remember reading about it, about toryama, saying which for him was hard write gohan, since he felt gohan was more "human" or down to the earth unlike goku, while goku only true love is battle and everything else is just "secondary or not really important, gohan actually is more "human" and "almost opposite to goku", being less about battle and more about "normal life", then in the end we ended getting a battlemaniac goku who almost don't do a shit toward his family and friends and gohan which almost don't do a shit toward battle and rater than prefer to have a "normal life" with friends and family, which also ended hiting on vegita which goes from a "evil reckless" sayan to a almost "very good father and husband" again making goku looks "unique" in his battlemaniac love.
Old 2017-08-14, 23:44   Link #4275
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Gohan was injured badly with the Saiyaman $hit from jumpstreet....And I was around for the original after cell and I remember it vividly being Toriyama switched him out because of fan / studio reaction...

That's fair, but give up on him? Just make him basically a high-level patsy moving forward? He set the series in motion...

Look, its 2017 I don't need Gohan re-imagined...Whats done is done, but in this story setup, redemption is right there in the form of a super-hearted battle with Pops...It's a chance for Gohan to be finally realized in a boss role with it not being forced...

He hates what his father has done deep down and to exploit that anger, anger which might create a new form would be top-notch with all the emotions being history of the show type stuff...

It be great after the speculated final showdown with the angels or during, but it can easily happen prior to that being revealed...

17 has been given some other worldly fan service already, $hit Krillen and 18, too lol......Lets not even talk about Future Trunks who soaks in Toriyama's mental bubble bath ...

Gohan's only chance is right now :/...
Old 2017-08-15, 02:51   Link #4276
Robotech Master

Quote:
....And I was around for the original after cell and I remember it vividly being Toriyama switched him out because of fan / studio reaction...
People vividly remember Nelson Mandela dying in prison, up to and including reading the newspaper articles about it and seeing coverage on the tv news.

Our memories have been proven to be so susceptible to revision that there are entire conspiracy theories that it is evidence of the existence of parallel realities, where people are unknowingly shifting into new realities with slightly different truths than the previous one.
Old 2017-08-15, 10:11   Link #4277
azenable
President of TecoT

Quote:
"Loved" not "love" (although "utterly hates" was more my annoyance so I admit that)...

He caved to fan pressure and that's happened before, but he has had literally 300 episodes /chapters or maybe even 20 years to correct this...and its clear at this point he decided not to really augment that...What makes it worse is that he'll throw Gohan fans a bone here and there only to let it fizzle into nothing...

However in this arc, Gohan is the perfect foil to what Goku is doing...And its a natural and organic disposition that is soul of his character...Rather than juice that up, I see yet another missed opportunity to elevate him...
U are like totally removing Editors and JUMP and Sponsors from the decision making. As if the company run out what ever u paid to watch/reach dragon ball
azenable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-15, 14:19   Link #4278
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
People vividly remember Nelson Mandela dying in prison, et al...
LOL, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on what I vividly remember while on message boards back in the day^^...

Quote:
U are like totally removing Editors and JUMP and Sponsors from the decision making. As if the company run out what ever u paid to watch/reach dragon ball
In my last post I said fan/studio reaction...I consider sponsors / JUMP under that umbrella...My very first post on this was a bit emotion man...I admitted that...

My annoyance is not about "saving" Gohan's character...If you never watch an episode of Super, he is fully formed within the canon like it or not...

I'm saying here's a perfect chance for him to shine in a storyline that would actually make sense in redeeming him...Something that actually plays to his strength (Life > Fighting) as a character that's not just pulling Golden Freiza or Super Duper Trunks power-ups ouuta your a$$...

It actually makes sense for Gohan to be an antagonist here...unless, as I suspect, Toriyama (or whoever) just gives no more fux about the character...
Old 2017-08-17, 10:08   Link #4279
SidVicious
Anime addict

Goku's new form looks cool.
Old 2017-08-17, 10:16   Link #4280
Sixth
Hu Tao

Spoiler for This is Goku new form???? Seriously?:

I am not impressed.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, dragon ball z, shounen, super powers, tragedy