AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2015-11-06, 16:36   Link #81
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Shit ton of new characters, including my highly anticipated Cyborg Ninja!!!

Overwatch coming to PS4, Xbox One, and PC in spring 2016

Quote:
Origins Edition ($59.99)

21 extraordinary heroes: Choose your hero from a diverse cast of soldiers, scientists, adventurers, and oddities.

Iconic environments: Fight on futuristic battlefields around the globe: the cobbled streets of King’s Row in London; the mysterious Temple of Anubis; Numbani, where human and omnic live in harmony, and more…

5 character skins:
  • Blackwatch Reyes (Reaper)
  • Strike-Commander Morrison (Soldier: 76)
  • Overgrown (Bastion)
  • Security Chief (Pharah)
  • Slipstream (Tracer)

Overwatch-themed content for several Blizzard Entertainment games:
  • Heroes of the Storm – Tracer Hero
  • World of Warcraft – Baby Winston Pet
  • StarCraft II Portraits (Tracer, Reaper, Pharah, Winston, Bastion, and Soldier: 76)
  • Hearthstone Cardback
  • Diablo III – Mercy Wings
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-06, 18:21   Link #82
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Got to say I'm happy with all the new characters shown off. Get the Cyborg Ninja, lady with a freeze gun, and a pro gamer riding a giant pink mech . Definitely worthy additions to this colourful crew.

Bit surprising they just went with a priced game, but kind of a refreshing move to not be free to play. $40 for the actual game itself, $60 if you want some bonus skins and little things for other Blizzard games, and a monster collector's edition. Makes sense as well to go to console. Game should play just fine there as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raviel View Post
Look on the bright side, you're more likely to see this game released compared to Half-life 3

How many characters are available and how are they unlocked?
At this point everyone except the 3 newly announced characters (so 18 characters) are available to be played. Can just jump into the game playing whichever character you want and going from there.
Old 2015-11-06, 18:26   Link #83
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

D. Va, the Korean Mecha Pilot:

Genji, the Japanese Cyborg Ninja:

Mei, the Chinese... Eskimo Scientist?

Old 2015-11-07, 00:46   Link #84
Raviel

That mech pilot looks like she was ripped straight out of Korean MMO

Ah Blizzard, I wonder what they were smoking/playing when designing the characters for this game.

P.S. Anything with MOBA elements just has to have a hook character doesn't it?
Raviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-07, 01:16   Link #85
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

They look pretty fun, I will admit I was a little surprised that all three were Asian though. Mei seemed like a shoe in for being an Eskimo I guess. Anyway, Mei needs a water bender costume. Her Ice wall thing is sweet. She remind's me of Ymir from SMITE, so much control. D. Va looks pretty cool, and the bailing out of the mech to not die thing is interesting (dat explosion, the rag dolling is gold). I suspect she will be quite popular. I expected a bit more of a K-Pop thing with her when I first saw her, the Pro-Gamer thing was funny (that and she streams her battles, how meta). Genji looks kinda fun, but I'm not big on melee characters tbh, still he should be very popular.

Have to say I'm a little disappointed with the price point they're going with. I honestly think they're hurting themselves for going with something that high. I was expecting, $20-30. I'm kinda glad its not free, because its prohibitive to cheaters, but I hope that means skins aren't going to be like $10 like they are in HotS.
Old 2015-11-07, 04:19   Link #86
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Love the fact some of the characters speak their national language.
Old 2015-11-07, 13:54   Link #87
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post

Have to say I'm a little disappointed with the price point they're going with. I honestly think they're hurting themselves for going with something that high. I was expecting, $20-30. I'm kinda glad its not free, because its prohibitive to cheaters, but I hope that means skins aren't going to be like $10 like they are in HotS.
Blizzard have not officially announced their business model at this point, which is kinda mess up for a game that already have a pre-order bundle. I doubt this game can stay B2P at a $40 price point when far more popular F2P is way cheaper or free.
Old 2015-11-07, 14:35   Link #88
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
Blizzard have not officially announced their business model at this point, which is kinda mess up for a game that already have a pre-order bundle. I doubt this game can stay B2P at a $40 price point when far more popular F2P is way cheaper or free.
How much of a business model do you need to throw out there? Buy the game, play the game, and if you feel like it then buy some skins. That's the model at the moment.

I don't see what is going to hold this game back. It's a multiplayer shooter, charging $40 at the door for entry doesn't seem particularly weird. Making people buy a game to play the game is how games have worked for a long time.

What's the free to play competition? TF2? If it can't handle competing against that then the game should flop. More characters, abilities, better graphics, and a wide market to tap into with PC and the current gen consoles. TF2 had 4 years of buy to play before they switched models since they couldn't squeeze any more cash out of the entry side of things. Think it's ok to start off that way with Overwatch as well.

And of course free to play is cheaper or free....."free to play" kind of says it all doesn't it ? I do kind of wonder if the Dotas of the world haven't messed people up. There's nothing wrong with games costing money.
Old 2015-11-07, 14:44   Link #89
Westlo
Lets be reality

D.VA da gawdess

Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-07, 17:25   Link #90
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Mei seemed like a shoe in for being an Eskimo I guess.
Missed opportunity, that. Quite cute as is, though.

Quote:
Her Ice wall thing is sweet. She remind's me of Ymir from SMITE, so much control.
And utility (as in: helping folks get to places they wouldn't be able to get to normally).

Quote:
D. Va looks pretty cool, and the bailing out of the mech to not die thing is interesting (dat explosion, the rag dolling is gold).
Not bad, but more could've been done with the mechanic... for instance, changing the ultimate to a Titanfall/Goliath nod and having her bail out so the mech can fight autonomously for a short time, and having the current ultimate be something that has a chance of occuring if she's taken down while operating it instead. On a related note, I'd like to see some detailed open-cockpit and/or cutaway art of the mech - I suspect D. Va is almost on all fours when operating it (it's the only way it seems she can fit completely inside the body).

Quote:
I suspect she will be quite popular. I expected a bit more of a K-Pop thing with her when I first saw her, the Pro-Gamer thing was funny (that and she streams her battles, how meta).
Can lead to some amusing moments when she finds out her streams get interdicted for OPSEC reasons.

Quote:
I'm kinda glad its not free, because its prohibitive to cheaters...
I'm reminded of something that was done in Warhammer: Age of Reckoning, and am surprised wasn't picked up more on. In that game, gold-seller accounts were promptly banned on positive ID, complete with an in-universe server-wide message accompanying it (reference).

The Origins (AKA 'prequel') skins are interesting as well (for instance, note that the pattern around prequel!Farrah's neck is highly reminiscent of a common one seen on keffiyehs), and it would be a shame if they (along with Noire!Widowmaker, whose arm tatoo I suspect reads 'cauchemar' (nightmare) were preorder exclusives (as in the proper use of the term - its use as a synonym for 'early access' annoys me whenever it appears, much as the misuse of 'optics' as a synonym for 'appearance' or 'perception').

With all the effort they've put into fleshing out the world (and the fun at least some had doing it), it would also be a shame for a proper singleplayer game to not come out of it...
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-07, 17:56   Link #91
ninjastarforcex
Read My Sig :)

that japanese samurai looks like that blazblue character rip-off as fuck lol
Old 2015-11-07, 18:41   Link #92
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
What's the free to play competition? TF2? If it can't handle competing against that then the game should flop. More characters, abilities, better graphics, and a wide market to tap into with PC and the current gen consoles. TF2 had 4 years of buy to play before they switched models since they couldn't squeeze any more cash out of the entry side of things. Think it's ok to start off that way with Overwatch as well.
Oops, i meant FPS, not F2P. I think the biggest competition is CS:GO. TF2 is so fucking old, it was never a real competition in my eye despite Overwatch sharing so many genetics with it. Not to mention, TF2 was originally released as a B2P (also barely finished) in a time when F2P model was still in it's infancy.

Honestly, i wish they just come out and say how they are supporting the games post release. Paid map packs are terrible idea (fractured community), paid heroes is probably the way to go but they repeatedly say all heroes should unlocked, new skins is a dead giveaway or they are going with the old school expansion model. Hopefully there wont be any lockbox bullshit but i'm not that optimistic.

Stripe away the Blizzard branding, it is still a $40 dollar multiplayer only FPS with 18(?) heroes and only a handful of maps. Pretty steep for a brand new IP in fairly crowded genre and additional content is probably not going to be free.
Old 2015-11-07, 20:25   Link #93
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Blizzcon 2015 Overwatch Panel

Old 2015-11-07, 20:48   Link #94
Mr Hat and Clogs

21 Heroes on release, including the three they announced yesterday. The guy was cagey when he was talking about extra heroes, he said something that pretty much amounted to "they'll cross that bridge when they get to it." But IIRC he did say they didn't like the idea of adding heroes piecemeal (so "expansion" packs?). Also 21 heroes for an FPS game is huge, the game, despite what many seem to be trying to make it out as is not a MOBA it doesn't need extra heroes. Keeping it at 21 allows them to a handle on things easier and keeps things more focused for the players. The implication from the way things were worded was the base price gets all the heroes and maps, everything else is cosmetic extras (ie skins/voice packs). Hopefully the skins are cheap, but I doubt it.

Comparison wise, if each hero was purchased separately, it works out to be $1.90 per hero, compared to say the $5-$12 in HotS for each hero (which makes me think skins will be similar to what they are in HotS).

Quote:
On a related note, I'd like to see some detailed open-cockpit and/or cutaway art of the mech - I suspect D. Va is almost on all fours when operating it (it's the only way it seems she can fit completely inside the body).
I'd say she is straddling it like a motor cycle seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
D.VA da gawdess

Crop the top third of that and you have a signature...
Old 2015-11-08, 02:52   Link #95
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

So from the video at Blizzcon, there's gonna be animated shorts about the characters.
Old 2015-11-08, 04:39   Link #96
Mr Hat and Clogs

Yeah and little comics as well, looks like it could be cool. It'll be nice to get some extra background and world building stuff.
Old 2015-11-08, 17:28   Link #97
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Yeah and little comics as well, looks like it could be cool. It'll be nice to get some extra background and world building stuff.
Yeah, if you aren't going to have a story mode this is a nice way to create some lore and flesh out the characters. Definitely looking forward to seeing some of those.
Old 2015-11-09, 00:59   Link #98
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I think the end game here is to get an animated cartoon series, or if their movie business really takes off- a 3rd movie.
Old 2015-11-09, 11:43   Link #99
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

I just noticed from this pic from the 1st trailer there are still some characters that have yet to be introduced to the game.
Old 2015-11-09, 18:36   Link #100
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
I just noticed from this pic from the 1st trailer there are still some characters that have yet to be introduced to the game.
Well could always just presume they are dead. Including the more vague bunch in the back a lot of them probably retired for good or died in the interim.

Tags
blizzard, first person shooter