AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-10-01, 01:04   Link #361
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Just a lot of cute fun that I thought couldn't be really possible during that era. And to think the nation of Japan will be in turmoil after a while in that timeline.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-01, 08:39   Link #362
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

To say the truth, i really....really....really love this series. The characters, the animation, the art, the backgrounds...... all are perfect.

But i do not like the ending......

The end feels kind of rushed ( everyone used their finishing move in the same time). Then it gave an impression that the baseball club would be disbanded right after that match (....they practiced that much just for one match.....???!!!!). The end also concluded with romance screens. When this series should be about girls, funs, hard works, and sports. It does not fit

Such a disappointed. Such a well done series, just 1 episode close to be a masterpiece in my list *sigh*
Old 2009-10-02, 11:18   Link #363
FuzzyWuzzy

Why does Japanese story telling have such big problems with underdogs winning? If the story isn't shounen, they are not going to make the main characters win. I really can't figure it out. Underdogs win a lot of times in real life. Making the girls win wouldn't be such a bad thing.
FuzzyWuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-02, 13:35   Link #364
typhonsentra

Season 1=Rocky 1
Season 2= Rocky 2
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 17:28   Link #365
Dop
Mmmm....

FuzzyWuzzy: I think the fact they didn't win doesn't really matter. Actually, having them lose the game makes for a stronger point.
There's the old adage, "It's not whether you win or lose, but how you play the game". The fact they didn't win isn't important, by playing the game and playing it well they earned the respect of the opposing team, and Akiko won an apology for the damn stupid remark that made her want to play in the first place.
They lost the game, but they won at life.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-03, 19:24   Link #366
FuzzyWuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
FuzzyWuzzy: I think the fact they didn't win doesn't really matter. Actually, having them lose the game makes for a stronger point.
There's the old adage, "It's not whether you win or lose, but how you play the game". The fact they didn't win isn't important, by playing the game and playing it well they earned the respect of the opposing team, and Akiko won an apology for the damn stupid remark that made her want to play in the first place.
They lost the game, but they won at life.
They are still losers. No matter how much people sugar coat what happened, they are still losers. The guys were right, women do not belong in the baseball field if they couldn't even beat them. Simple as that. So what if they can play baseball, the fact remains they weren't good enough and weren't as good as the guys.
Old 2009-10-03, 23:11   Link #367
Midonin
Last Engage

From the start, this was a character driven show. Picking up baseball skills was more to make a point, and that point was made. They just wanted to be seen as equals.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 01:51   Link #368
billborden

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzzy View Post
Why does Japanese story telling have such big problems with underdogs winning? If the story isn't shounen, they are not going to make the main characters win. I really can't figure it out. Underdogs win a lot of times in real life. Making the girls win wouldn't be such a bad thing.
There is a tradition in Japanese storytelling/culture of success in failure; that is, to do your very best and stay true to your ideals in an attempt equates to true victory, regardless if you succeed or fail in the attempt itself. The closest we get in the west are usually true stories, the Alamo for example. In fiction and folklore, the "bad guys" lose.
Old 2009-10-04, 02:02   Link #369
zzeroparticle
NEET

Send a message via AIM to zzeroparticle
Quote:
They are still losers. No matter how much people sugar coat what happened, they are still losers. The guys were right, women do not belong in the baseball field if they couldn't even beat them. Simple as that. So what if they can play baseball, the fact remains they weren't good enough and weren't as good as the guys.
What. So if you take that viewpoint to the extreme, no sports team that has a consistent losing record (like say... the LA Clippers) belongs in the NBA since they can't ever rise to the level of a championship caliber team? That's short-sighted if I've ever seen it.

The impression I got from watching the show is that they were striving to demonstrate that through good solid effort, they can overcome physical limitations and challenge even their male counterparts and give them a good run for their money. Given that the girls were able to catch up when the guys were playing for real goes to show how far they've progressed in terms of skill level. That's something to be laudable about. They got the respect that they deserved.
zzeroparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 03:40   Link #370
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Everybody is willing to bring Koume home! (wallpaper size)

Same pic in huge resolution:

Last edited by Pellissier; 2009-10-04 at 11:58.
Pellissier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 12:02   Link #371
Cirrostratucat
絶対領域

Send a message via Yahoo to Cirrostratucat
I... I can't believe this. Almost two week passed and I've been so busy because of my stupid work. And now I find out that TYM is already finished?!

Fortunately, watching all the last three episode totally worth it and truly satisfying IMO.

This series has been a really great show from the start to finish, though I must admit that the ending seem somewhat a bit rushed (then again, the show only have 12 ep). I really love ep 7 & 10, that thief and "kimodameshi" scene truly hillarious. The "final" battle with the guy baseball team was also presented nicely, the girls finally proven that they can be on equal match with the guys. They really deserved respect for what they have done so far.
Cirrostratucat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 21:19   Link #372
FuzzyWuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzeroparticle View Post
What. So if you take that viewpoint to the extreme, no sports team that has a consistent losing record (like say... the LA Clippers) belongs in the NBA since they can't ever rise to the level of a championship caliber team? That's short-sighted if I've ever seen it.

The impression I got from watching the show is that they were striving to demonstrate that through good solid effort, they can overcome physical limitations and challenge even their male counterparts and give them a good run for their money. Given that the girls were able to catch up when the guys were playing for real goes to show how far they've progressed in terms of skill level. That's something to be laudable about. They got the respect that they deserved.
It doesn't matter if LA Clippers lose as long as they make money. As long as they have a huge fan base and can make a lot of profit, they belong to the NBA. This is totally different.

I can't believe you guys are saying they are equal. If the guys played seriously from the start, the girls would have lost by a land slide. The girls will never be able to beat them. They can play that game a million times and it is clear that the guys will win every time. How is that equal?
Old 2009-10-04, 21:28   Link #373
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
I can't believe you guys are saying they are equal.
Because it's not about winning. It's about sportsmanship.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-04, 21:37   Link #374
FuzzyWuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
Because it's not about winning. It's about sportsmanship.
Sportsmanship has nothing to do with equality.
Old 2009-10-04, 22:32   Link #375
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
Everybody is willing to bring Koume home! (wallpaper size)
*Looks at image in full version of post* Heh, it's nice to know that Tomoe has good taste. Although she's got too much competition. Also, Kyouko shouldn't be jealous. She should realize that Kochou is the better option for her.
Old 2009-10-05, 01:14   Link #376
zzeroparticle
NEET

Send a message via AIM to zzeroparticle
Quote:
It doesn't matter if LA Clippers lose as long as they make money. As long as they have a huge fan base and can make a lot of profit, they belong to the NBA. This is totally different.

I can't believe you guys are saying they are equal. If the guys played seriously from the start, the girls would have lost by a land slide. The girls will never be able to beat them. They can play that game a million times and it is clear that the guys will win every time. How is that equal?
Well then, I'm sure the Jamaican Olympic bobsled team would like to have a word with you.
zzeroparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-05, 18:41   Link #377
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
To say the truth, i really....really....really love this series. The characters, the animation, the art, the backgrounds...... all are perfect.

But i do not like the ending......

The end feels kind of rushed ( everyone used their finishing move in the same time). Then it gave an impression that the baseball club would be disbanded right after that match (....they practiced that much just for one match.....???!!!!). The end also concluded with romance screens. When this series should be about girls, funs, hard works, and sports. It does not fit

Such a disappointed. Such a well done series, just 1 episode close to be a masterpiece in my list *sigh*
There was at least one more light novel that looked a little lacking on plot to me, but definately had them keeping on with baseball. Souya just meant that it was uncertain if other boy's teams would play them in the future, since they'd all refused up to that point.

Shame it couldn't have ended with Koume and Akiko heading off into the sunset...
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-06, 09:17   Link #378
Ravlin

Quote:
The reason they lost wasn't because they weren't good enough. The girls lost because the boys were able to figure out Akiko's tick. Until then, the guys were dumbfounded and were losing morale. In fact, the guys were at a disadvantage from the start because the girls were trained to play against them specifically.

The only reason Koume didn't score and tie it at the end was because she was too short! This was the only time during the match where being a girl actually mattered. Anyone on the guys team or anyone of the taller girls would have tagged the base.
Ravlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-11, 05:21   Link #379
firehawk12

Did a widescreen of episode 12 ever get released?
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-11, 05:48   Link #380
Cirrostratucat
絶対領域

Send a message via Yahoo to Cirrostratucat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravlin View Post
The reason they lost wasn't because they weren't good enough. The girls lost because the boys were able to figure out Akiko's tick. Until then, the guys were dumbfounded and were losing morale. In fact, the guys were at a disadvantage from the start because the girls were trained to play against them specifically.

The only reason Koume didn't score and tie it at the end was because she was too short! This was the only time during the match where being a girl actually mattered. Anyone on the guys team or anyone of the taller girls would have tagged the base.
I actually think that Koume is really trying too hard, not that is a bad thing of course. It just that she really want to score a point that she slide to far away from the base. It's probably a matter of luck in the end, but honestly I found it more satisfied with ending this way (the girls team lose). Kinda like glory in losing... like how even though they lose, they gain something more in the end
Cirrostratucat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball, japan, seinen