AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-07-09, 17:17   Link #1
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

(Opinion)Should Sony kill PS3 faster than PS2?

I know I made a similar thread about PS2 years ago and now with PS4 will be released in this year and now I start thinking about PS3's future. I think Sony should kill PS3 faster than PS2 and so more games available for PS4, considering that PS4 is cheaper than PS3 at launch.

The PS3 had few library of games in comparison to PS2 when it was debuted in 2006. Back then PS2 games still sold well. Although it seeing its slowdown since 2007 but the system itself still alive thaks to some Japanese companies making lots of VNs for PS2. Finally Sony decided not to produce the console anymore in February 2013 and Final Fantasy XI add-on is the system's last official game. With 13 years of lifespan, it is the second longest after Atari 2600 which lasted for 14 years.

I know most video game companies are not ready yet to abandon PS3 anytime soon but I think Sony should stop producing PS3 sooner than PS2.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-09, 17:35   Link #2
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
No, because there's nothing new to look forward in next-gen.
Aside from obvious sequels and better graphics.

PS3's still a solid console.
Old 2013-07-09, 17:54   Link #3
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Next gen console usually takes awhile to saturate the market and even so there's still a sizeable market that will purchase older gen console even when the newest one is available especially in lower income countries.

It will still be around for awhile though unlikely as long as PS2 which is the best all time selling console so far.
Old 2013-07-09, 18:09   Link #4
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhài)
*Graphic Designer

there are still a lot of good games coming out for ps3: Tales of Xillia 1 + 2, Dragon's Crown,
Hatsune Miku f
...i think there are some more.

it's going to be awhile before ps3 going to go out. when the ps4 getting all the jrpgs and fighting
games, ps3 can die for all i care then.
Old 2013-07-09, 18:17   Link #5
Westlo
Lets be reality

lol, ps3 hasn't even hit mass market price yet ($199) and the ps2 sold another 50 million units after the ps3 came out, while it might hurt Sony you should be applauding them for sticking with their older consoles unlike Nintendo and MS who bail out, though to be fair to Nintendo they had to focus on the 3DS.

They'll probably stop ps3 production when the ps5 is announced, like they did with the 2 and 4 and 1 and 3.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-09, 19:59   Link #6
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Last of Us has demonstrated that there is still potential for greatness with PS3.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-09, 20:31   Link #7
4Tran

Sony will. Like you pointed out, the PS2 lasted as long as it did because it was priced at around $100 while the PS3 launched with a BoM of over $800.

The PS3 is in a very different boat as the Cell processor has remained relatively expensive to produce. None of the extended uses of the Cell ever came to fruition, and so it's unlikely to get cheaper. The PS4 has a much more conventional design, and it will see cost savings at a faster rate. In fact, it should come close to the PS3's costs in 4-5 years hence making the latter a product with no real point.

Still, it's a console in its prime, and there are still lots of interesting games coming out for it. PS+ should extend its life for even hardcore gamers for a while, so there's a lot of reason to keep it around. Sony just set up a new PS3 factory in Brazil, so it doesn't look like they're planning to end it prematurely.
Old 2013-07-09, 21:33   Link #8
Reality_Breaker

No, the PS3 still has life left in it , even with a new console generation on the horizon. There are developers who might not be ready to make the jump to next-gen until the new consoles prove themselves.
Reality_Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 16:02   Link #9
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

I'm pretty much with Jazzrat here. While the PS4 is the more powerful system, it will be a while before most companies make the full switch to that system, especially with the amount of PS3 titles that are slated for the next few months.

I'm pretty sure that the PS3 will still be around come 2015 (although how long it will take for game companies to upgrade to PS4 will definitely affect its fate come 2016).
Old 2013-07-10, 16:45   Link #10
T-6000

What I have noticed this year is that some upcoming games for the next generation consoles will also be made available for this current generation consoles as well. Call of Duty ghosts will be made available for the PC and next generation consoles, but also this current generation consoles as well. Same for Wolfenstein the new order, Same with Battlefield 4, and same with Titanfall (well, excluding the Playstation consoles). In fact, a few developers and publishers have proclaimed that they plan on supporting the current generation of consoles for a couple more years despite the release of this current generation. So it looks like the Playstation 3 (and XBox 360) will be sticking around a bit longer, and since some developers and publishers plan on supporting the PS3 for a bit longer Sony may have no other choice but to follow suit.

However, I am expecting a bit of a backlash (maybe a big one) from the PC Gaming community. As far back as 2011 I have been hearing many PC Gamers cursing the current generation of consoles as holding back the video game industry especially in terms of graphics and special effects. In fact the constant bitching was one of the reasons why I left the PC Gamer forums. And already a good number of PC Gamers are lashing out against the next generation consoles as being "outdated" (IMHO, not by much. Especially the PS4, it's an impressive piece of hardware for a Console. But if I dare mention this at a PC Gaming community I might be hanged from the nearest tree) and I expect the backlash to be even greater with the PS3 getting continued support for a couple more years.
T-6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 17:33   Link #11
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-6000 View Post
What I have noticed this year is that some upcoming games for the next generation consoles will also be made available for this current generation consoles as well. Call of Duty ghosts will be made available for the PC and next generation consoles, but also this current generation consoles as well. Same for Wolfenstein the new order, Same with Battlefield 4, and same with Titanfall (well, excluding the Playstation consoles). In fact, a few developers and publishers have proclaimed that they plan on supporting the current generation of consoles for a couple more years despite the release of this current generation. So it looks like the Playstation 3 (and XBox 360) will be sticking around a bit longer, and since some developers and publishers plan on supporting the PS3 for a bit longer Sony may have no other choice but to follow suit.
It's not a matter of no choice - Sony wants to expand its brand in the developing world, and the PS3 is a key in that strategy. At launch, the PS4 will be very expensive in many countries if they're available in the first place. The PS3 can exist as a low price part that can sell in those markets. This is the same reason why the PSP is still being made, and why EA was making FIFA games for the PS2 as recently as the last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-6000 View Post
However, I am expecting a bit of a backlash (maybe a big one) from the PC Gaming community. As far back as 2011 I have been hearing many PC Gamers cursing the current generation of consoles as holding back the video game industry especially in terms of graphics and special effects. In fact the constant bitching was one of the reasons why I left the PC Gamer forums. And already a good number of PC Gamers are lashing out against the next generation consoles as being "outdated" (IMHO, not by much. Especially the PS4, it's an impressive piece of hardware for a Console. But if I dare mention this at a PC Gaming community I might be hanged from the nearest tree) and I expect the backlash to be even greater with the PS3 getting continued support for a couple more years.
Far from a backlash, PC gamers should be thrilled that the new consoles are coming out. PC games have mostly been designed with 32-bit executables, so we have been confined to just using 2GB of system RAM. The new consoles have 5-7GB RAM, so PC games will have to move to 64-bit executables to keep apace. End result, games will finally use all of your RAM! This is possibly the biggest improvement to PC gaming since the introduction of 3D accelerators.

The PS3 won't be keeping any games back since it won't be the lead platform for AAA games any more. By 2014, only Japanese developers will be primarily making games for that system, and those games never come to PC anyways.
Old 2013-07-11, 00:31   Link #12
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

I have to laugh at those "elite" PC gamer sometimes.

When the developer hold back to cater toward gamer who have "last gen" device :
"Those casual filth with inferior machines are holding us back!! Make games according to our specs!!!"

When the developer follow their request and end up selling games at higher prices due to exected lower sales :
" What's with the ridiculous game price, boycott their games!!!"

kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-11, 09:04   Link #13
Joyce_Steele
Banned

I don't think Sony should kill PS3 anytime soon. Yes PS3 games are more expensive than PS2's but there aren't many studios are making PS4 games right now.
Joyce_Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-11, 09:22   Link #14
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I think the PS3 should get a couple more years. Start phasing it out after the PS4 gets its first significant price-cut.
Old 2013-07-13, 16:42   Link #15
T-6000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
I have to laugh at those "elite" PC gamer sometimes.

When the developer hold back to cater toward gamer who have "last gen" device :
"Those casual filth with inferior machines are holding us back!! Make games according to our specs!!!"

When the developer follow their request and end up selling games at higher prices due to exected lower sales :
" What's with the ridiculous game price, boycott their games!!!"

I'd like to smack them over their heads and just tell them to "Shut up!". Everytime they mouth off and flame console gamers as "Console Kiddies" they make themselves look like idiots, but they also make all PC Gamers look bad. I swear, this started not long after this current generation of consoles started, before then PC Gamers seemed indifferent with Console Gamers. Even embraced them as fellow gamers. Or at least, I don't remember hardly any PC Gamer online foaming at the moth and yelling out "Console Kiddie" and "Consoletards". Who knows where or how this major backlash against Consoles and their dedicated customers came from or how it exactly started (I have a sneaky suspicion that it was PC Gamer Magazine that started this terrible trend), but I hope that it ends because it's getting a bit...tiring. Unfortunately, t looks like it's gonna get worse before it gets better.
T-6000 is offline   Reply With Quote