AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2017-05-22, 05:25   Link #341
dragon1412

Purely out of interest, what is your general opinion on Trump. I heard from a few different people and they have very different opinion on him. My Marketing teacher back in the day said he was amazing, yet my sister who is a diplomat master said he is terrible.
Old 2017-05-22, 05:54   Link #342
Key Board
Carbon

he is egotistical and reactionary. He treats the Presidency like a TV Show
and his political beliefs changes depending on who talked to him the last time.
or what conspiracy theorist website he read

From a marketing standpoint, I think your teacher was right, though
He has managed to use social media to win him the office
He has managed to tap into the collective disdain and turn that into voting power against the establishment
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2017-05-22, 05:55   Link #343
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rye View Post
Looks like tomorrow the Trump government will show their new health care saving plans by cutting 800 billions in the next ten years from it. That is quite a lot of money, but man so much money taken from such an, for poor people at least, important facility is pretty cruel to those people. Especially given that a lot of them voted for Trump too.
It isn't cruel. It's what they voted for.
Old 2017-05-22, 07:29   Link #344
DracoS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1412 View Post
Purely out of interest, what is your general opinion on Trump. I heard from a few different people and they have very different opinion on him. My Marketing teacher back in the day said he was amazing, yet my sister who is a diplomat master said he is terrible.
Seems okish so far to be honest. Media clearly hates his guts through, and that bias makes it tricky to judge him properly.
Old 2017-05-22, 09:48   Link #345
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
Trump is a con artist that ~49.9% of Americans willingly voted into office being fully aware what he is. He sells himself as a successful businessman but in fact never worked for it and actually lost more money than he made, lead a campaign full of lies, racism and bigotry, promised his voters the world but hasn't been able to fulfill a single one of them, aside of nominating Neil Gorsuch for the supreme court has achieved nothing so far in his presidency, has shown to be a man-child not able to keep up his attention for any of his tasks, is more busy tweeting more ridiculous stuff than doing his job, is heavily influenced by whatever airs on Fox News, allegedly has ties to Russia and practiced nepotism by giving his children positions in his cabinet despite them having questionable/any qualifications.

And this is just from the top of my head. It is very hard to find anything positive about Trump but his supporters ignore all of that and repeat what he promised them in his campaign, oblivious that their arguments crumble instantly under a closer look.
Old 2017-05-22, 14:37   Link #346
Honoakari
Lurking Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1412
His fans love him and call him the God Emperor, while the other side hates his fr*ckin' guts. Both sides hate each other with passion...

IMO Trump is a great President. Every day he's doing such a good job at MAGA, despite his old age. Sadly, the haters will do everything they can to discredit him, to ignore his many achievements, to make him look bad (and his fans as well)...

I never cared much about US before Trump. To me, it was just another one of those western countries that are declining because of radical leftist BS (just look at western Europe, particularly Sweden and Germany)... But then Trump, an advocate of nationalism, won against all odds, and I said to myself: "well, maybe there really is some hope after all".

Anyway, if you want to form an unbiased opinion of Donald Trump I suggest you go listen to the man directly. Decide for yourself whether you like him or not. You can find one of his recent (and IMO great) speeches here.
Old 2017-05-22, 15:52   Link #347
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoakari View Post
IMO Trump is a great President. Every day he's doing such a good job at MAGA, despite his old age. Sadly, the haters will do everything they can to discredit him, to ignore his many achievements, to make him look bad (and his fans as well)...
Many achievements. Surely you can list more than five right?

Quote:
I never cared much about US before Trump. To me, it was just another one of those western countries that are declining because of radical leftist BS (just look at western Europe, particularly Sweden and Germany)... But then Trump, an advocate of nationalism, won against all odds, and I said to myself: "well, maybe there really is some hope after all".
Care to name these 'radical leftist' problems in Sweden and Germany? If anything the right is advancing way more than the left in Europe.
Old 2017-05-22, 16:05   Link #348
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
His fans love him and call him the God Emperor, while the other side hates his fr*ckin' guts. Both sides hate each other with passion...

Anyway, if you want to form an unbiased opinion of Donald Trump I suggest you go listen to the man directly. Decide for yourself whether you like him or not. You can find one of his recent (and IMO great) speeches here.
What lesgilative agenda has Trump accomplished that has benefited the people, in particular his own base?

How has he performed on national security?

The only thing Trump has done is nominate a Supreme Court justice that Mitch Mcconel stole already and nuked the filibuster to get it through. Which is only an accomplishment if you think extreme justices like Scalia are a good thing for the courts.
Old 2017-05-22, 20:17   Link #349
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

There will be differences of opinions about what is best for any group of people or nations. That is nothing new. Otherewise there wouldn't be things called progressives nor conservatives, much less all the other variances in political opinions.
Old 2017-05-22, 20:30   Link #350
Toukairin
Banned

Quote:
Until I read the part in bold, I didn't meant to use some language. However, what the **** are you talking about? The right is growing stronger in Europe at the moment, but that doesn't take away the fact that their rhetoric is just horseshit. Still, France saw through the BS, and just said STFU to Le Pen as a result.

In my home of Canada, we are still working our way out of the mess left by Stephen Harper and his minions. For every day Harper was in office, I cursed after him for pushing his Republican-style agenda while pushing Canada out of the position of international respect we once had in politics and environment. If anything, it was the right's BS that was responsible for Canada's decline on the international stage until the people woke up to give Harper the boot. There is no love lost between Canadians and Harper.

I don't know what definition you make of nationalism, but to hell with it. There are ways to enjoy national pride without giving crap to a group of people just because they are different on religion, skin color, or language.

Quote:
For me, Trump is someone who does not deserve any respect from anyone at home or abroad. Here are the things that come up on the list:
  • Was elected without a popular majority, which is due to a flawed system.
  • Showed no respect whatsoever towards the majority that has not voted for him when you expect such elected president to choose his words more carefully.
  • Boasts himself to be a successful businessman when the truth is that he's a terrible one.
  • Campaigned with a body of lies fuelled by racism, bigotry, misogyny, disrespect for disabled people, etc.
  • Disrespected a gold star family by saying a sack of crap that shows how Drumpf has little understanding of what sacrifice really is. Not surprising from someone who has a long family history of draftdodging.
  • Imposed an arbitrary travel ban, which was thankfully repelled by courts.
  • Brought up a "healthcare plan" that goes totally against the basic principles of what healthcare should be about.
  • Hired a national security advisor who was suspected of being compromised by a foreign power, all of that despite the words of several individuals including the former President.
  • Called an airstrike in Yemen despite insufficient intelligence, which resulted in the deaths of a Navy SEAL and a several civilians (including an American girl).
  • Dared to say that the airstrike was a success when such death toll would be considered a failure, and that's not saying the target was not there.
  • Whines consistently on Twitter rather than he does his damn job.
  • Everything he does points towards a child mentality.
  • Gives his children and son-in-law positions that should not belong to such unqualified people.
  • Does not shake hands with the leader of what is arguably his country's biggest ally at the moment, Germany. However, he looks very friendly with Russian representatives.
  • Apparently gave classified intel to the Russians, and thus compromised the safety of the Israeli agent who infiltrated ISIS.
  • Fired the man who was investigating in the Russia probe after that man said he's not pledging loyalty.
  • Very short-sighted in his comments when denying climate change.
  • Openly expressed admiration for dictators like Kim Jong-Un, Putin, and Erdogan - the true despicables of this world.

Need more? There will be more coming along the way in the news.

Last edited by Toukairin; 2017-05-22 at 22:26.
Old 2017-05-22, 21:30   Link #351
Key Board
Carbon

it's becoming clear to me that cultural reasons Trump won because a lot of people, at least on a subconscious level, feel that America has become less America.

And to be blunt that means being less White Christian Protestant Middle Class

that means they the want minorities to stop being minorities in public (It's okay if you exist, just don't remind me about it!)
that means less minority representation in fiction/games/movies (no politics in fiction, please!)
that means less affirmative actions ( actually, anti racist are the real racists!)
that means no one reminding them that gender gap issues exist ( ::munches on red pills:: )
that means being able to casually make questionable jokes and not suffer any repercussions from it (It's just a joke bro!)

To these people, this is what nationalism represents

And they are angry because their safe space is vanishing
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2017-05-23, 01:43   Link #352
dragon1412

To be honest, my 1st knowledge of Trump was a rather bias one, the 1st time I even knew of him was when my Marketing teacher show us a video of a reality show that Trump seem to be the owner of. I don't exactly remember the name, but the show was about how Trump hire his new employee through that show and he ask of the competitor to sell lemonade and made profit. On that show he said that he once in debt and now he is a millionaire. So my 1st impression of him was a successful businessman.

However, in recent times, which my sister who is doing research on nations diplomat, mentioned that Trump was a terrible one. And all opinion about him afterwards seem very vary. I mean, Whether it's Obama of Bush I can still see how people of different opinion judging them as a whole, but Opinion about Trump keep on jumping from being the best to the worst that lead me have completely no idea about what he really is
Old 2017-05-23, 02:54   Link #353
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
To be honest, my 1st knowledge of Trump was a rather bias one, the 1st time I even knew of him was when my Marketing teacher show us a video of a reality show that Trump seem to be the owner of. I don't exactly remember the name, but the show was about how Trump hire his new employee through that show and he ask of the competitor to sell lemonade and made profit. On that show he said that he once in debt and now he is a millionaire. So my 1st impression of him was a successful businessman.

However, in recent times, which my sister who is doing research on nations diplomat, mentioned that Trump was a terrible one. And all opinion about him afterwards seem very vary. I mean, Whether it's Obama of Bush I can still see how people of different opinion judging them as a whole, but Opinion about Trump keep on jumping from being the best to the worst that lead me have completely no idea about what he really is
Since you are asking, here is my opinion of him:

- It started with curiosity. Then a little bit of sympathy, because here is a man that didn't mince his words toward people and topics. I always thought that politics needed more people like that.

=> However, I will soon come to realize that he says whatever his voters WANT TO HEAR.

- A documentary on a French cultural channel ( Arte.tv ), called Trump Country, have talked about some of those workers who felt cheated by the Republicans and the Democrats, with all those jobs that got outsourced to countries like China and Mexico. Those are the same people who also voted Obama in the past.

=> Those are voters I can sympathize with, I actually feel most sorry for them because they are getting NOTHING out of voting him into office. None of the measures taken so far by Trump have done anything to make their life better.

- Same documentary also touched on the disastrous US healthcare system, to call this system a trainwreck is an insult to trainwrecks. People were still struggling under Obamacare. And some were thinking that it's actually worse and that Trump may fix it.

=> However, it was unfair to Obamacare, as such a system needed some years and money to actually kickstart and show results. Also a drastic change in American mentality, where some need to stop thinking that intervention of the State is bad and that the poor only exist to rob people out of their money. Seriously, in my stay in USA in last summer, when I explained to some stranger the French healthcare system, he looked at me as if I eat puppies steak with kitten sauce in the side while sipping on wine mixed with baby blood for breakfast.

I have lost sympathy for him a long time ago. I am not sure if it was him threatening to put Hillary in jail (it's usually dictators who do that), or some of the most morally and mentally repulsive fringe of his supporters who worship him like a God (people who casually jokes about the Holocaust or outright deny it. I am not a Jew, but I am the son of Khmer Rouge survivors. So, genocides are not subjects to be treated lightly for me), or his manchild behavior on twitter (hell, he is making former president François Hollande look great in comparison), but each day he somehow manage new way to disgust me and feel sorry for all my aunts, uncles and cousins who are living in USA. They, and millions of Americans, are living with this walking embarrassment, not to mention that some of his measures are going to make their life harsher.
Old 2017-05-24, 04:39   Link #354
James Rye

Man, what a lovely couple, just look at their handholding, oh...

I first thought that was a photoshop, but apparently Trump really wrote that for visiting a memorial about 6 million people who died terrible deaths in the name of race supremacy. "So amazing"
Dude, this is not a sight-seeing tour, this is a memorial and you are the president of america, representing americans, have some tact.
Old 2017-05-24, 06:45   Link #355
Valky
Radioactive

^Is that really what he wrote? He never ceased to amaze you huh.

Although, since he won the election and technically do representing the US as the president, he is probably what the US citizens want.

Quote:

You should never take any american reality show seriously. They are more emphasized in the "Show" part rather than "Reality". Sure there might be some reality in it, but most of times it's arranged for the ratings. The debt part is really questionable since he got the money from his father. Not sure you can really call that a debt. He was born rich and so far doing all he can to keep it so, even by scam. Try searching about Trump University among other scam he did in the past.

My impression of him so far is a spoiled hypocrite toddler. A pervert too, he likes to grab woman, you should do your own research to where the place he likes to grab.
Old 2017-05-24, 18:44   Link #356
Serovectra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post

that means they the want minorities to stop being minorities in public (It's okay if you exist, just don't remind me about it!)
What does that mean?

Quote:
that means less minority representation in fiction/games/movies (no politics in fiction, please!)
As long as they play the role well and aren't being selected just to fill a quota.

Quote:
that means less affirmative actions ( actually, anti racist are the real racists!)
Judge a person based on their merits, not on their skin color. End of story. Affirmative action is nothing more than reverse discrimination and has outlived its necessity as things are not like they were 50-60 years ago. Additionally, Affirmative Action is being abused to give unfair advantages based on skin color for everything including race based scholarships, race based academic clubs, etc. All it does it give a minority a spot instead of someone else who was more qualified. There are situations in which a non-white counterpart who has had equal opportunity being the same age, similar family background, same tax bracket, same everything (aside from ethnicity) yet gets preferential treatment. That isn't equality.

Quote:
that means no one reminding them that gender gap issues exist ( ::munches on red pills:: )
They're blown drastically out of proportion, and it's not like men have zero issues to deal with themselves.

Quote:
that means being able to casually make questionable jokes and not suffer any repercussions from it (It's just a joke bro!)
They're just jokes bro, lighten up.

Quote:
To these people, this is what nationalism represents
People are just sick of having it shoved down their throat when their life has been nothing but one large struggle. It undermines their plight in favor of an entire race; many of which are better off than they are.

Quote:
And they are angry because their safe space is vanishing
And being replaced with another safe space that they're being excluded from? Seems like a valid reason to be upset.

Racism still exists, but it's not more inherent in white people. And a far more pressing matter is economic inequality. You really think a homeless white person is better off than a homeless black person? Different skin color, same circumstances.

Last edited by Serovectra; 2017-05-24 at 18:56.
Old 2017-05-24, 18:53   Link #357
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Judge a person based on their merits, not on their skin color. End of story. Affirmative action is nothing more than reverse discrimination and has outlived its necessity as things are not like they were 50-60 years ago. Additionally, Affirmative Action is being abused to give unfair advantages based on skin color for everything including race based scholarships, race based academic clubs, etc. All it does it give a minority a spot instead of someone else who was more qualified. There are situations in which a non-white counterpart who has had equal opportunity being the same age, similar family background, same tax bracket, same everything (aside from ethnicity) yet gets preferential treatment. That isn't equality.
This also works against other non-whites in a quota system. If there are twenty slots for African-Americans and ten slots for Native American and there are 28 overly qualified African-Americans...well 8 of them are out of luck as those 10 other slots need to be Native Americans, even of 8 of them are not nearly as qualified as the African-Americans in question.
Old 2017-05-24, 19:33   Link #358
Serovectra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
This also works against other non-whites in a quota system. If there are twenty slots for African-Americans and ten slots for Native American and there are 28 overly qualified African-Americans...well 8 of them are out of luck as those 10 other slots need to be Native Americans, even of 8 of them are not nearly as qualified as the African-Americans in question.
Right. It simply favors diversity over many of the other more important metrics to determine who is most qualified. And let me expand on that. A major argument is that minorities should receive preferential treatment because they are poor and cannot compete with the wealthier Caucasian(Although it has greatly benefited women in general, as they now outnumber men in college campuses and are more likely to graduate than men are) people. But is the case to solely focus on the color of the skin? No, because America stands currently as a nation that does not decide by race, but by meritocracy and hard work. If a majority of minority groups are poor and unable to spend for education, they should receive preferential treatment. However, if a Caucasian(or Asian American as Affirmative Action discriminates against them as well) is poor, he should have a preferential treatment over the rich Caucasian or even a more advantaged minority.

Here's an idea: How about scrapping race-based affirmative action altogether and come up with a system that offers help based on tangible things such as whether a person actually needs help based on their background and situation. President Obama did not need affirmative action. Not then, and especially not now. But there are a lot of kids out there of all colors who, based on their ability and willingness could do better, but because of their life situation might not have the same opportunities.

Let's find a way to help them and let everyone else compete based on merit.

Last edited by Serovectra; 2017-05-24 at 21:59.
Old 2017-05-24, 23:21   Link #359
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
What does that mean?
For starters, it means it's okay if I'm gay, but don't I dare remind other people in public that I am gay
Don't I dare hold hands with my same gendered partner
...Or don't I dare wear an ethnic turban or veil in public
... Or don't I dare I make people uncomfortable when i speak in something other than English in public
... in fact, don't dare I speak English without an accent either. That's too fluent and thus unnerving!

Quote:
As long as they play the role well and aren't being selected just to fill a quota.
There are clearly companies that just try to cash on this, but often time they get yelled at just for trying to have more representation.
Opponents often cite that fiction should strictly reflect real life. But if that's the case that just like real life, minorities should be seen and not be heard.

Do you really want to be on the side that is upset that a WW2 setting game has women soldiers?

Quote:
Judge a person based on their merits, not on their skin color
You wouldn't need such special laws in the first place, if this were true. A person is still judged by their looks and cultural background.

Quote:
They're blown drastically out of proportion, and it's not like men have zero issues to deal with themselves.
Men have unique self image problems, and they often react to that by exerting control over women.

I mean looks who is deciding the future of women's healthcare in the US? a cabinet consisting of mostly rich dudes

Quote:
People are just sick of having it shoved down their throat when their life has been nothing but one large struggle. It undermines their plight in favor of an entire race; many of which are better off than they are.
These nationalist are unwilling to accept and even offended to learn that minorities have it much harder than they do.
Ayn Rand Libertarianism is a lie

Quote:
And being replaced with another safe space that they're being excluded from? Seems like a valid reason to be upset.
And this why Trump won. People actually believe that more justice for minorities hurts their own livelihood. I suppose a reason for this is because Obama had to cannibalize the middle class to help the lower class. But that's only because because this political system bends over to rich people. A trend that Trump embodies.

Quote:
Racism still exists, but it's not more inherent in white people. And a far more pressing matter is economic inequality. You really think a homeless white person is better off than a homeless black person?
at least in the US, THEY ARE
Old 2017-05-25, 00:14   Link #360
Serovectra

Quote:
But if that's the case that just like real life, minorities should be seen and not be heard.
I really think you're trying to take us back to the 40s with this line.

Quote:
Do you really want to be on the side that is upset that a WW2 setting game has women soldiers?
I want to be on the rational side that knows only a small minority of people actually care about that at all.

Quote:
You wouldn't need such special laws in the first place, if this were true. A person is still judged by their looks and cultural background.
By their looks. How they dress, talk, facial piercings, tattoos. A well groomed black guy who dresses nice and is charming can go a long way in American society.

Quote:
Men have unique self image problems, and they often react to that by exerting control over women.
They can only exert as much control over women as a women allows.

Quote:
I mean looks who is deciding the future of women's healthcare in the US? a cabinet consisting of mostly rich dudes
Well, the president does choose the cabinet members and is approved by the Senate. Had Hillary won, i'm not sure the cabinet picks would look much different.

Quote:
These nationalist are unwilling to accept and even offended to learn that minorities have it much harder than they do.
Ayn Rand Libertarianism is a lie
Not all minorities have it hard, and not all Caucasians have it easy. It is statistically skewed one way, but using such a gross generalization does neglect the strife of quite a large population of people.

Quote:
And this why Trump won. People actually believe that more justice for minorities hurts their own livelihood. I suppose a reason for this is because Obama had to cannibalize the middle class to help the lower class. But that's only because because this political system bends over to rich people. A trend that Trump embodies.
Affirmative action does in-fact hurt the livelihood of others. It benefits someone at the expense of someone else. Someone who was more qualified for the position.

Quote:
at least in the US, THEY ARE
^And that is why Trump won. You may as well just go ahead and say a homeless white person is the result of them being lazy and a homeless black person is a result of racial discrimination. Because if "white privilege" benefited all white people and not just the economically advantaged ones; that homeless white person must have really failed at life.
Closed Thread