AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2023-07-14, 11:48   Link #41
Applehell

OP & ED. J.C Staff actually cooking!

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-14, 12:03   Link #42
Frontier

Nanao looks good in her school uniform...though Oliver can't help but remember seeing her naked backside from their prior encounter. And could you blame him ?

The OP is pretty epic and atmospheric, showcasing the gang trying to survive at Kimberly from the various things trying to kill them, and ending on an Oliver and Nanao tag-team !

Magic sword-fighting with Luther (Yuki Ono?)! So a mage gets defeated by a guy with a sword once and then it became common for mages to carry a wand for spells and long-range attacks, but also an Athame for short-range combat and spells. Perfect excuse for swordfights .

So Richard is the Malfoy of the show? An elitist prick out to mock or embarrass those he sees as beneath him? Not that Oliver and Chela are going to let him get away with trying to mess with Nanao or make fun of Pete...I'm only disappointed we didn't get to see Chela school him .

Nothing more "light novel" than the male and female lead holding a duel against each other in front of an audience. Oliver thought it would be a simple bout but instead it turns into a real fight because Nanao is a warrior with numerous kills beneath her blade, forcing Oliver to get serious. Which is exactly what Nanao craved as she finds a worthy opponent to lock blades with, bringing her to the point of tears and giving the two a moment...that's ended with them lunging for the kill before the class ended. And Oliver realizes he let himself get to into it, making things awkward with him and Nanao .

I love how the class they had right after basically calls out the class they had before for focusing on athames instead of wands. I'm betting the teachers don't like each other .

Oh hey, Megumi Toyoguchi as the biology teacher! Complete with fangs, red hair, and a...sunny disposition and devil-may-care attitude towards her students .

It's nice to see Chela and Oliver supporting the students struggling (and leaving Guy for last, because of course they would). Poor Katie was so dedicated to saving all of those worms but one mistake ends up causing a fuss for her, Oliver, and Chela. But Oliver acknowledges and respects her kind and loving heart in such a cynical world (and even makes her blush!) and it's great how supportive the friend group is .

Don't forget your spellbooks or be caught wandering the halls too late or you'll get trapped in the labyrinth the school is built over .

Oh snap, it's Ai Kayano as a sexy fourth-year who bewitches and bedivels any male students who wander her way with her magic pheromones! I wish it were me !

I guess the gang can't count on help from their Senpai as Ophelia wants to have some fun and has another older student backing her up and barring the way for Oliver and co. Although they look so much older it's hard to believe they're still students .

The ED is a pretty serene, pleasant, theme focused on Oliver's backstory (I think?). I'm curious about the blonde witch girl .
Old 2023-07-14, 14:11   Link #43
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Series has a very cool visual aesthetic but ultimately the cast and premise is painfully generic. Might give this another week but episode 2 just wasn't that impressive.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-14, 15:41   Link #44
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
Series has a very cool visual aesthetic but ultimately the cast and premise is painfully generic. Might give this another week but episode 2 just wasn't that impressive.
I really dont want to say bad things when a show looks this good and has good magic system idea, but...

Spoiler for Ep2:

Overall the show feels like it has solid visuals, character designs and world setting with a story and pacing somehow managing to be so bad that its succeeeding in dragging it though the mud even with all the care and attention put into everything else.

I also noticed that, as sad as it is, the show is a bit more intresting when the two lead characters are not involved in the scene.
Old 2023-07-14, 15:54   Link #45
Applehell

I thought 2nd episode was great imo. Its better showcase of the group dynamics than ep 1 and I don't see how any of it generic. There several magical academy shows in last coupe of years none have had balance cast with grounded personalities like this, no harem, no OP protagonist who can beat anybody, toss out the rules, no random fanservice etc.

Like Chela for example, you would expect to be a typical ojou-sama who is all haughty & picks fights with lead female because she is the best, or sheltered princess archetype who is too kind to hurt a single thing. Instead she comes across more nuanced well rounded person who while quite clearly proud of her heritage but doesn't put on airs about it. She's quite also competitive without being obnoxious and has formed a informal parental team with similar mature Oliver to look for 4 members of their little group. Its rare to find LN story about an actual group of friends then a thin veil vehicle for harem shenanigans. That not even getting into other stuff like school turning into a dungeon at night and what means for mages curriculum there.

Calling wishfulliment sounds like someone cynicall trying hard to find something dislike about it without saying anything really meaningful. Yes there 6 characters our protagonists in the narrative they are special by default because of that. Nobody is getting any point for pointing that out meta-narrative. Yea the show isn't perfect or anything but just feels like Spellblades is getting falk being set in a magical academy more than anything itself is actually doing.

Last edited by Applehell; 2023-07-14 at 16:39.
Old 2023-07-14, 17:28   Link #46
grecefar

I had so many whys in this chapter... yeah, I'm not liking this. I'll give it another chapter.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-14, 17:54   Link #47
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
I thought 2nd episode was great imo. Its better showcase of the group dynamics than ep 1 and I don't see how any of it generic. There several magical academy shows in last coupe of years none have had balance cast with grounded personalities like this, no harem, no OP protagonist who can beat anybody, toss out the rules, no random fanservice etc.
Fair enough, there's not a harem -- but so far its not much different from your average "power of friendship" cast from every RPG ever. We've got the noble girl slumming it, the (healer?) girl who wouldn't hurt a (literal) fly, the short angsty almost shouta, and the red headed wingman who mostly exists to make everyone else look better. The vibe I get overall is that instead of ripping off other narou they ripped off Falcom instead. I guess its possible the cast will go beyond their tropes but it just feels very 'by the numbers' to this point.

I might give it another week though since there's not much else on Fridays, I'll see.
Old 2023-07-14, 22:08   Link #48
Alchemist007
*Author

Besides Harry Potter, this also reminds me of Final Fantasy XIV. You've got the Lakshimi girl near the end of this ep, Nanao is like a "good" Zenos yae Galvus, and the science class was basically a class that could've taken place in the unsundered world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Then there's the fight. Let's ignore the whole "oh noes they're going to make fun of Nao for not being able to use a sword!" (even though she clearly used it to kill a troll, but who remembers that, too long ago).
They were talking about her magic, she only has talent with the sword but if someone used both in a duel with her...

Last edited by Alchemist007; 2023-07-14 at 22:18.
Alchemist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-14, 23:03   Link #49
Applehell

Quote:
Fair enough, there's not a harem -- but so far its not much different from your average "power of friendship" cast from every RPG ever. We've got the noble girl slumming it, the (healer?) girl who wouldn't hurt a (literal) fly, the short angsty almost shouta, and the red headed wingman who mostly exists to make everyone else look better. The vibe I get overall is that instead of ripping off other narou they ripped off Falcom instead. I guess its possible the cast will go beyond their tropes but it just feels very 'by the numbers' to this point.

I might give it another week though since there's not much else on Fridays, I'll see.
You see this unfair and shallow criticism I am talking about. This isn't even telling why any of this bad, you portraying al in worse light imaginable. Why is one of core themes a growing bonds between a group of unlike friends who met via circumstance? What's wrong one with one of characters having a natural tendency to look out others? Why would opposite of what you said be less cliched? Like I am far person who like magic academies or isekai because of common issues plague those that are absent in Spellblades. Like every character seems have distinct personality and reason being here and aren't acting appendages to lead characters. So instead criticizing the show for adhering to problem genre conventions your bashing for show specific things that are hardly an issue. Like what is this mythical ideal of personality every character supposed to have to make super unique?

Like I just outlined how Michela has surprising degree nuance in medium full for rich assholes or naive spoiled girl. Hell how about Nanao's warped values that stood as contrast to her usual behavior uptil now? Yet your sidestepping mainly just hate at the show randomly in a way don't understand. Like if you say Oliver sucks for being levelhead, would as say he sucks if he was angsty or shouty shounen protag becasue all those personality traits are also common. This not anyone could possible please you in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
They were talking about her magic, she only has talent with the sword but if someone used both in a duel with her...
Yep, there is reason why after that incident which birth the field of Sword Arts no nonmagical warrior has ever defeated a mage again as far as anime implies. Nanao's pure swordsmanship is great but she won't go far with just it. Hell even that is back up by magic (Innocent Color), but as it is, its just an uncontrolled buff.

Last edited by Applehell; 2023-07-14 at 23:20.
Old 2023-07-15, 01:29   Link #50
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Whoever adapted this decided to take a novel, translate the image of the scene, and throw out completely any sort of inner monologue, tone or pacing; that or they just gave up trying. I don't want to believe the characters are portrayed as this tone deaf and random in the novel too. The effect of this is that the show feels closer to a parody of "here's how stupid novel characters look to everyone else" rather then a serious story.
Raildex fans: "First time a series you like is animated by J.C. Staff? Here, there's plenty of room in the bench."

So Sword Arts came about because a mage got salty he lost to a warrior?
Old 2023-07-15, 03:08   Link #51
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
Raildex fans: "First time a series you like is animated by J.C. Staff? Here, there's plenty of room in the bench."

So Sword Arts came about because a mage got salty he lost to a warrior?
That famous mage actually died in the duel lol. So it was invented and established after his death. No clearer message could have be sent the mage society the serious blindspot they had when came to combat magic at close range.
Old 2023-07-15, 04:31   Link #52
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep2:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)

Last edited by serenade_beta; 2023-07-15 at 04:41.
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-15, 09:16   Link #53
magnuskn

People will apparently complain even about a perfectly competently done show, because they are way too jaded nowadays. This is pretty solid all around.
Old 2023-07-15, 23:43   Link #54
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Two episodes in, and I find this just "okay". It doesn't do anything too bad, but doesn't feel like anything special either. The element that makes me invested in it is the mystery of the MC; who he really is, and what is his actual intentions at the school are. My current theory is that he has been reincarnated with memories, but with such little info, its more just a guess. Anyway, I'll stick with it for now. I just hope the MC's story pays off for the wait.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-16, 05:51   Link #55
Tenzen12

It's not masterpiece, but calling it generic comes with caveats. It feels much more closer to western magical school adventures like HP then anime ones that basically always come eith harems and power flexing and I think that's enough to feel fresh

I also don't have issue with getting together so soon. From my high school memories that's exactly how it happens unless you are introvert in which case it sometimes take time before someone adopt you.
Old 2023-07-16, 10:29   Link #56
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
That famous mage actually died in the duel lol. So it was invented and established after his death. No clearer message could have be sent the mage society the serious blindspot they had when came to combat magic at close range.
Yeah, this. After this dude died, they studied and concluded that there's a certain range where a skilled swordsman will be able to kill any mage before they can get the spell out. Once they determined that, they started remedying that by teaching swordsmanship for when they are in close range. They use one-handed swords to keep the other free for their wand, in contrast to Nanao who uses a two-handed weapon because prior to coming to the school she was fighting in a war as a Samurai. Her Innocent Color is basically a genetic buffing ability but she's primarily a swordsman.
Old 2023-07-16, 12:41   Link #57
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Two episodes in, and I find this just "okay". It doesn't do anything too bad, but doesn't feel like anything special either. The element that makes me invested in it is the mystery of the MC; who he really is, and what is his actual intentions at the school are. My current theory is that he has been reincarnated with memories, but with such little info, its more just a guess. Anyway, I'll stick with it for now. I just hope the MC's story pays off for the wait.
There definitely seems like there's more to Oliver, especially the way he reacted to his fight with Nanao and the focus on him during the ED.
Old 2023-07-16, 15:35   Link #58
Dark Wing

Okay I got a quick question. This is called "Reign of the SEVEN Spellblades" but We've only introduced six member cast. So out of curiosity is a seventh person going to show up and join the team or something?
Old 2023-07-16, 16:00   Link #59
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
It's not masterpiece, but calling it generic comes with caveats. It feels much more closer to western magical school adventures like HP then anime ones that basically always come eith harems and power flexing and I think that's enough to feel fresh
I dunno... its pretty clear the MC is at least in the running for the strongest person in the show with some kind of a "dark past" (tm). So far he kind of reminds me of Ray White from the Iceblade show or maybe Yuuji from Grisaia.

If you like the show that's your prerogative but to me it feels like Iceblade Sorceror with better visual design. I might give it another week, we'll see.
Old 2023-07-16, 16:13   Link #60
Frontier

Quote:
I dunno... its pretty clear the MC is at least in the running for the strongest person in the show with some kind of a "dark past" (tm). So far he kind of reminds me of Ray White from the Iceblade show or maybe Yuuji from Grisaia.

If you like the show that's your prerogative but to me it feels like Iceblade Sorceror with better visual design. I might give it another week, we'll see.
Classroom of Heroes fits that better in my opinion.