Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-05-22, 23:02   Link #41
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
There are a few anime with ecchi content I can think of that were actually very damn good but for some reason received an average reception had to stop only at one cour when there were enough material for one more.
Are you saying people don't give ecchi anime a chance because they only gave it one cour (Haganai and Haganai NEXT come to mind) or are you saying the critical reception only limited it to one cour? Because in the latter, quality isn't the same as sales and sales are what decides what's made and what isn't. Usually.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 23:22   Link #42
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito Kinomoto View Post
Are you saying people don't give ecchi anime a chance because they only gave it one cour (Haganai and Haganai NEXT come to mind) or are you saying the critical reception only limited it to one cour? Because in the latter, quality isn't the same as sales and sales are what decides what's made and what isn't. Usually.
I was talking about the latter. Well one anime I wanted to point out was Sankarea. I can understand people not liking it since it's tied to Deen. However, I thought it should have give a more chance even though it was nonsensical in parts and rather forced ecchi parts. Compared to the satirical anime I've seen, for me it came off rather genuine romantic comedy. Well I guess I don't really have much point to stand on, now I don't really have a clue on what makes anime popular.
Old 2013-05-23, 00:00   Link #43
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
Mashifoni was IMO more a romance with some drama and some minor amount of ecchi fanservice, while Yosuga no Sora was probably more a drama with romance and pretty much H-scenes.
Both shows don't focus on those elements, unlike to love Ru or queens blade
Yeah, if Mashifoni is ecchi, you'd have to include things like Paradise Kiss and Otona Joshi no Anime Time, and that doesn't seem right at all. There's a difference between a mature story in which sex is an organic part of the plot, and shows where the plot exists as an excuse for panty shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichuki View Post
To be honest for ecchi series I would be fine with it if they went beyond the ecchi fanservice.
I dunno. Plotwise High School of the Dead is a solid zombie series, but the panty shots and giant boobs detract from that.

But on the other hand, I thought the ecchi comedy in Ben-to was hilarious and fit the absurd plot perfectly. But that's also a rare case where the male character is the butt of ecchi jokes as often as the women are.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 04:33   Link #44
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Ecchi: The most hated genre of all time?

Uh,mmmmm.... really? Every genre has a hater...

Just to be safe

Pointless ecchi is pointless...

(and it applies to every genre)
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 06:42   Link #45
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

I actually enjoy ecchi shows for a reason: While some shows tends to focus on the sexual fanservice rather than its story (and it worked on romantic comedies for me), most of the time its scenes are well-portrayed, provides some eyecandy to the male population (and I'm a female who wasn't ashamed by it), and whether a ecchi anime is well-received depends mostly on the story's execution, characters and the amount of sexual fanservice. Almost every series that contain such content are mostly the ones I really enjoy and like. The fact that the ecchi genre is very hated on the Internet community is actually due to the cultural issues: Western people tends to be more conservative than the Asian people, and because of that, they act very narrow and mean when it comes to the sexual themes: one anonymous from a particular blog gives us a somewhat informative sight on the ecchi hate issue.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-24, 17:43   Link #46
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
That blog comment is interesting but sorta missed the mark. Certain Western countries such as the US do have an extremely shameful and negative sight towards sex while paradoxially marketing the same thing to guilt trip people permanently. However, this isn't due to Christianity; certainly it seems like a lot of people in Europe are more healthy about the issue, and they have large Christian populations too.

This is not to mention the various divisions, so rather, there are certain parts that have particularly reactionary attitudes that hold a lot of sway. In general, we have people that have their country as the center of the world, and thus morality is centered on their culture and cannot comprehend cultural differences. There are certainly very reactionary groups in Japan too, that behave as such, and then we can look at the Middle East for more extreme versions.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2013-05-24 at 17:53.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-24, 18:01   Link #47
Joyce_Steele
Banned

I think the major reason why English-speaking anime fans hate ecchi/fanservice not because they are Christians but rather they failed or never wanted to understand Japanese sex jokes.

Oh yeah some shounen-ai and yaoi shows are even worse ecchi shows in term of fanservice but there aren't many people to watch those shows to begin with except they are really really big fans of that genre.
Joyce_Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-24, 18:38   Link #48
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Ecchi is a genre. So does shounen, shoujo, moe, action romance, drama , etc. Each of them have gold and shit at the same time. Take shoujo for examples like Cardcaptor Sakura, Pretty Cure and Fruits Basket(Yes, manga was better) are "gold" while Ai Girl is a miserable pile of shit even in shoujo standards. I think the same also exists for ecchi as well except nobody know which one should be labeled as "gold" or "shit". But to most people, especially English-speaking ones all ecchi shows are shit because ecchi is a shit genre, which I spent my lifetime disagreeing with them.

By the way School Days is an ecchi show however its ecchi-ness is eclipsed by the events in its last ten minutes of episode 12. If that episode were never aired then most people would agree that School Days is a steaming pile of ecchi shit.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote