AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-28, 06:27   Link #221
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liingo View Post
Oooh, very interesting. I'll give you a konata good job pose!
Added to my watch list of fics to read.

Enfiled seems to be an interesting indivdual, the spell that she used was cool!
OMG RARE SPAWN!

And it's Enfield by the way. Yeah I certainly like the Unlimited Blade Wo--

*gets warped into another dimension*

@Meophist: Sorry man I still have trouble loading ur fic on my com...
Old 2007-05-28, 08:40   Link #222
Meophist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
@Meophist: Sorry man I still have trouble loading ur fic on my com...
Ah, what browser are you using?

Edit: Changing the file name to .html might help.
Old 2007-05-28, 08:41   Link #223
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
Ah, what browser are you using?
IE 6? It just loads a pile of gibberish.
Old 2007-05-28, 09:18   Link #224
Meophist

Quote:
Ah, the one browser I can't test. If you can get it, Firefox and Opera should be able to show it. IE7 might too. I'll try to make an IE6-compatible version.

Edit: Sorry, is it possible to describe the giberish? Have you tried changing your encoding settings?

Last edited by Meophist; 2007-05-28 at 11:14.
Old 2007-05-28, 15:51   Link #225
darkalpha

Originally, this character discussion was in the Character Discussion thread, but as it turned out it seemed more appropiate to discuss some of the elements in here, so here it goes.

While I haven't done any major fanfic writting in years, not since around 2000, so I'm obiviously rusty. However as I watched MGLN series, more I felt wanting to write a Nanoha fanfic, and last fall I came up with a premise that I just wanted to work with no matter what. I already have the general plot planned, I can't pin down the details because I keep on changing several elements that I feel necessary to improve or make the story more solid, which in turn affects the later story progress and so on. It's already underwent three major changes in the plot. I feel confident that there will be no more major changes, as I finally have found out exactly what I wanted to write about.

So my next issue is that until I can get my character changes down pat and feel comfortable with them, I feel that I can't make any progress on writing the actual story (I've already written two prologues, only to scrap them later on). So while I'll discuss the character modifications in the Character thread, I'll cover elements that infulences the said modifications in here since it's more appropiate here.

This fanfic is largely focused around Nanoha, as she comes into possession of a cursed lost logia. I'll keep the details of the lost logia secret for now, until I have a new prologue written. It divergences from around the end of A's anime, and takes place few years later. During that time span, a powerful magic user casts the Struggle Bind spell on her (like how Chrono cast it on the Masked Men in A's episode 9), which neturalizes her ability to cast Mid-Childa type spells, However due to circumstances, the user won't be able to remove the spell on Nanoha for years. To compensate for that, she learns how to use Velka-type magic to contiune fighting.

Now, from the character discussion thread, there seemed to be some issues with the application of the Struggle Bind spell. It's an important element behind the story, since it infulences the new direction in Nanoha's life in the fanfic, by simply denying her the ability to use all of the mid-childa magic she's used.

Based on my analysis of the Struggle Bind spell, it cancels out any active spells in use, as well as preventing casting of new spells, but does nothing to the linker cores, which is the source of all magic spells. You'll notice that the Lieze twins, who are actually familiars, still exist despite having the spell cast on them so obiviously their linker cores aren't affected directly, nor their ability to gather magic from their masters. Moreover so, during the conversation with Graham, the twins tried to convince Chrono to have the spell removed, which means Chrono must was still maintaining the sealing spell. That leads me to believe that this binding spell can stay in effect for as long as the caster wants (provided he/she has enough magic to sustain it). And since the SB spell is a Mid-childa spell, it likely would prevent only Mid-childa spells. Logically if you wanted to neturalize a spell type, you'd use a spell based on similiar foundation as the magic intended for neturalization. I seriously doubt SB is a spell that would be "one-fits-all" type, given the wide diversity of spell types in Nanohaverse. That's why I have Nanoha learning Velka spells later on. And finally, I also think the SB spell would only prevent the target from using Mid-childa spells, but not prevent other users of Mid-childa spells casting any type of Mid-childa spells on the target.

Is this analysis valid? The application of the SB spell is very important because as mentioned earlier, it's important element of the fic, as it will have a large impact on Nanoha's life.
Old 2007-05-28, 21:42   Link #226
Meophist

Quote:
Alright, I changed the encoding and also changed it to html so try this link.
Old 2007-05-29, 03:29   Link #227
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkalpha View Post
This fanfic is largely focused around Nanoha, as she comes into possession of a cursed lost logia. I'll keep the details of the lost logia secret for now, until I have a new prologue written. It divergences from around the end of A's anime, and takes place few years later. During that time span, a powerful magic user casts the Struggle Bind spell on her (like how Chrono cast it on the Masked Men in A's episode 9), which neturalizes her ability to cast Mid-Childa type spells, However due to circumstances, the user won't be able to remove the spell on Nanoha for years. To compensate for that, she learns how to use Velka-type magic to contiune fighting.
Circumstances... can you elaborate? I can't really comment on it untill I know the circumsstances.

Quote:
Now, from the character discussion thread, there seemed to be some issues with the application of the Struggle Bind spell. It's an important element behind the story, since it infulences the new direction in Nanoha's life in the fanfic, by simply denying her the ability to use all of the mid-childa magic she's used.

Based on my analysis of the Struggle Bind spell, it cancels out any active spells in use, as well as preventing casting of new spells, but does nothing to the linker cores, which is the source of all magic spells. You'll notice that the Lieze twins, who are actually familiars, still exist despite having the spell cast on them so obiviously their linker cores aren't affected directly, nor their ability to gather magic from their masters. Moreover so, during the conversation with Graham, the twins tried to convince Chrono to have the spell removed, which means Chrono must was still maintaining the sealing spell. That leads me to believe that this binding spell can stay in effect for as long as the caster wants (provided he/she has enough magic to sustain it). And since the SB spell is a Mid-childa spell, it likely would prevent only Mid-childa spells. Logically if you wanted to neturalize a spell type, you'd use a spell based on similiar foundation as the magic intended for neturalization. I seriously doubt SB is a spell that would be "one-fits-all" type, given the wide diversity of spell types in Nanohaverse. That's why I have Nanoha learning Velka spells later on. And finally, I also think the SB spell would only prevent the target from using Mid-childa spells, but not prevent other users of Mid-childa spells casting any type of Mid-childa spells on the target.
Possibly, but you forget that there is also a chance that Chrono would need to maintain a certain amount of concentration to keep the spell up, otherwise it would be a ridiculusely powerfull spell. Also, it would be logical that -just like any bind- outside sources can disable it. I think the idea is good, but the bind has to have something that makes it special. This could range from allergical reactions to Lost Logia interference.

Quote:
Is this analysis valid? The application of the SB spell is very important because as mentioned earlier, it's important element of the fic, as it will have a large impact on Nanoha's life.
We can argue the details behind Strugle Bind untill there is no tommorow, but the basics are simple: A normal Strugle Bind will not do, as it is hardly a failsafe spell. There needs to be a special situation or element for Nanoha's Mid-Childa magic to be permanently sealed.
Old 2007-05-29, 04:39   Link #228
USB500
*facepalm.jpg*
*Author

Send a message via MSN to USB500 Send a message via Yahoo to USB500
Quote:
OMG RARE SPAWN!

And it's Enfield by the way. Yeah I certainly like the Unlimited Blade Wo--

*gets warped into another dimension*
so what did you find from the other dimension? :P

Okay, I only have one request here, and this is regarding Sleeping Lyrical:

The crews are going to have a cosplay party, and everyone's pretty much hyped up after the success of their stage play. One question remains: who or what are they going to cosplay? There's already a plan to cosplay as the pirates of Pirates of the Caribbean 3, but help is urgently needed here. onegai?

Okay, thanks.
Old 2007-05-29, 06:13   Link #229
S_K
Let's begin!

Send a message via MSN to S_K
I keep hearing about the unlimited blade thing. Can someone explain it to me please
Old 2007-05-29, 06:22   Link #230
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_K View Post
I keep hearing about the unlimited blade thing. Can someone explain it to me please
That would be a parody of Unlimited Blade Works, Archer's signature attack from Fate Stay/Night.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2007-05-29, 06:34   Link #231
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by USB500 View Post
so what did you find from the other dimension? :P

Okay, I only have one request here, and this is regarding Sleeping Lyrical:

The crews are going to have a cosplay party, and everyone's pretty much hyped up after the success of their stage play. One question remains: who or what are they going to cosplay? There's already a plan to cosplay as the pirates of Pirates of the Caribbean 3, but help is urgently needed here. onegai?

Okay, thanks.
Holds up smelly glowing blue gunk.

Bluecheesium.

The full range of spoofs from Epic Movie? Spider-Nano? VA jokes? Lucky StrikerS? Fate Stay Night? Bleach? Dragonball? Naruto? Pokemon?

X-rate Barrier Jackets would be the best!

Audience: Yeah! Birthday suits!

(Runs from Triple Breaker Shoo-to and watches it tear up the audience.)

Its soo easy to get them killed... Talk about people dying to see something.
Old 2007-05-29, 09:04   Link #232
Liingo
Love Hina?

Just a side note. Chapter 5 of Satashi's story 6th divsion is up on ff.net link below

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3502592/5/

Interesting chapter indeed.
Old 2007-05-29, 17:19   Link #233
Fuyu no Sora
Mistress of Impatience

Location: In a place of extremes. From below freezing to above boiling.
Quote:
Just a side note. Chapter 5 of Satashi's story 6th divsion is up on ff.net link below

Very interesting, although a little bit too angsty. As you might guess, I prefer romance.
Old 2007-05-29, 18:35   Link #234
darkalpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Circumstances... can you elaborate? I can't really comment on it untill I know the circumsstances.

Possibly, but you forget that there is also a chance that Chrono would need to maintain a certain amount of concentration to keep the spell up, otherwise it would be a ridiculusely powerfull spell. Also, it would be logical that -just like any bind- outside sources can disable it. I think the idea is good, but the bind has to have something that makes it special. This could range from allergical reactions to Lost Logia interference.

We can argue the details behind Strugle Bind untill there is no tommorow, but the basics are simple: A normal Strugle Bind will not do, as it is hardly a failsafe spell. There needs to be a special situation or element for Nanoha's Mid-Childa magic to be permanently sealed.
In nutshell, Book of Darkness cast the Struggle Bind on Nanoha before it was destroyed, so there's obiviously quite a lot of power behind it. However we already know that the tome automatically resurrects itself so, much to Nanoha's dismay, the binding spell stays in effect. The source of the spell being a class AAA lost logia (I'm sure that's how the Tome of the Night Sky was ranked), it'd be pretty much high-impossible to find a way to cancel the spell, short of finding the resurrected tome and making it rescind the spell.

Nanoha WILL eventually come across the tome in the fanfic - just not during those first few years after A's.
Old 2007-05-29, 18:55   Link #235
stormturmoil
Field Medic

Send a message via AIM to stormturmoil Send a message via MSN to stormturmoil
Slight problem there, Darkaplha...

If the tome of Darkness survives in any way, shape or form past A's (be it not properly taken over by Hayate or by reincarnating after the fact), Hayate HAS to die, and not in a pleasant way either. This is obviously going to significantly change things in the story, possibly to the point that rather than try and find a way around the bind, Nanoha might well just give up being a mage and retreat into seclusion.

In other words, you need to consider either finding a way around this somehow, or consider how this can be made to work for the story, or make the bind the work of something or someone else (possibly even the work of Raging Heart to try and keep her mistress from keep pushing herself to near destruction...)
Old 2007-05-29, 19:40   Link #236
darkalpha

@stormturmoil

The matter regarding Hayate already has been taken into account.
Old 2007-05-29, 19:48   Link #237
Meophist

Quote:
@stormturmoil

The matter regarding Hayate already has been taken into account.
That sounds really evil.

…just saying.
Old 2007-05-29, 20:24   Link #238
darkalpha

Heh. I had meant to say that I already have taken the Hayate's situation into account, as she will not be present in the fanfic, at least not in the way readers would be expecting.

As soon as I have the modified Nanoha character down pat (specifically, her new combat style using Velka magic, as well as changes Raising Heart would have given Nanoha's usage of Velka magic) and the prologue written, which I can then link here, I'll be more than happy to discuss the story I have planned in detail. I feel that if I discuss more about the story now, then prologue wouldn't be as interesting to read.
Old 2007-05-29, 22:12   Link #239
An Hero in Disguise
Human

Quote:
Heh. I had meant to say that I already have taken the Hayate's situation into account, as she will not be present in the fanfic, at least not in the way readers would be expecting.
That didn't sound less evil somehow ... *imagines Hayate's gravestone*
Old 2007-05-29, 22:42   Link #240
BPHaru

Quote:

Another WIN!

Only chapter 6 and the epilog are left.

I need more more angsty, tragedy, and after that, a happy end =)

Saludos, Haru
Closed Thread