AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Love Live!

Notices

View Poll Results: Love Live! Sunshine - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 10 43.48%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 8 34.78%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 3 13.04%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 4.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-08-20, 17:10   Link #41
Pen3

You's episode better have Koi ni Naritai AQUARIUM as an insert song or else the episode would somewhat fail.
Pen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-20, 17:11   Link #42
SleepingTerror
green hair, don't care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seihai View Post
You's most significant scene was when she stared at her childhood photo of her and Chika. I think we're onto something here. Maybe she has some kind of complex or something happened in their childhood or she simply thinks about their current friendship versus back then. Whatever it may be, I'm hoping that that wasn't just a random scene but foreshadowing of something deeper. Honestly I'm not sure how much You story/character developemt/character exposition they can still fit till the end of this cour. Maybe next to none, and then they plan it for the next season or something. But we'll see.
Yep, I see it as reminiscing on old times vs. new. And yeah, I'm kind of worried when anyone's backstory is going to get revealed. We still have Riko, You, and the third years's issues still haven't been resolved. I hate idea that I'm soon going to have to wait more than a week for the next episode..

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecefar View Post
well even here the childhood friend loses.
Don't see it as a loss! Youhane ftw :')
SleepingTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-20, 17:11   Link #43
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
I like Chika x You more on a conceptual level, but even I have to admit Sunshine!! has left the latter to the wayside while Riko has more alone time with Chika

How do you think the 3rd year triangle goes though
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-20, 17:16   Link #44
ninjastarforcex
Read My Sig :)

riko x nana mizuki the mom
Old 2016-08-20, 17:23   Link #45
Dextro
He Without a Title

Zero... They gave them a bloody zero! I nearly broke down right then and there. I was bracing myself for the disappointment but I was absolutely not ready in any way shape or form for the absolute viciousness the writers displayed there. That may have been one of the most hard hitting moments in the franchise for me. When Chika-chan broke down at the end of the episode I was 100% ready to break down as well. Brilliantly played Sunrise. Haven't gotten hit by such a large brick since maybe Clannad,it was that high in the emotional gut punch scale.

Damn, now I've got to go wash my face and calm down for a bit. Hopefully the next episode can be a bit lighter and finally sort out the third year situation.
Old 2016-08-20, 17:26   Link #46
SleepingTerror
green hair, don't care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen3 View Post
You's episode better have Koi ni Naritai AQUARIUM as an insert song or else the episode would somewhat fail.
Well there's already a PV for Koi ni Naritai AQUARIUM
Not sure if they've ever used pre-released PVs in the anime before though..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma Kousaka View Post
How do you think the 3rd year triangle goes though
Based on character interactions, I'd say the triangle points at Mari. But the ending clip suggests Dia, so no idea.
Old 2016-08-20, 17:50   Link #47
Seihai
スマイリウム

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingTerror View Post
Well there's already a PV for Koi ni Naritai AQUARIUM
Not sure if they've ever used pre-released PVs in the anime before though..
Snow Halation, but that seemed to be a big exception anyway (presenting new songs means more money opportunities, heh).
Old 2016-08-20, 17:52   Link #48
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Did their rival shed a tear in utter disappointment?
Old 2016-08-20, 17:56   Link #49
Seihai
スマイリウム

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Did their rival shed a tear in utter disappointment?
Disappointed in theirselves, because they seem to be very proud people that are hit hard when they lose.
Old 2016-08-20, 17:58   Link #50
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
They weren't very happy with them though... (or is it the disappointment of getting 9th?)
Old 2016-08-20, 18:04   Link #51
SleepingTerror
green hair, don't care

Quote:
Snow Halation, but that seemed to be a big exception anyway (presenting new songs means more money opportunities, heh).
Aw oh well. The PV speaks volumes about the RikoChikaYou relationship.
"I MISS YOU" :''''(
Old 2016-08-20, 18:45   Link #52
discharge
¬_¬

Quote:
They also used Bokura no LIVE Kimi to no LIFE. It was the first song they performed with the full group.
discharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-20, 19:01   Link #53
Seihai
スマイリウム

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
They weren't very happy with them though... (or is it the disappointment of getting 9th?)
Ruby: "She was crying. It must have been really frustrating for her, not getting into the winners group."
Yohane: "Still, she didn't have to tell us to not take it lightly."
You: "But we might have looked like we were."

1) They were 9th but they still lost.
2) As friendly rivals, they gave them advice and at the same time they told them that this isn't a game you take lightly. Because they look like they take it lightly, it adds even more frustration since it must feel insulting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discharge View Post
They also used Bokura no LIVE Kimi to no LIFE. It was the first song they performed with the full group.
Thanks, that slipped my mind.
Old 2016-08-20, 19:02   Link #54
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen3 View Post
Quote:
You's most significant scene was when she stared at her childhood photo of her and Chika. I think we're onto something here. Maybe she has some kind of complex or something happened in their childhood or she simply thinks about their current friendship versus back then. Whatever it may be, I'm hoping that that wasn't just a random scene but foreshadowing of something deeper. Honestly I'm not sure how much You story/character developemt/character exposition they can still fit till the end of this cour. Maybe next to none, and then they plan it for the next season or something. But we'll see.
My thoughts on the You situation:

Have you noticed that, in this episode, Chika is reminded that each of the members of Aqours have their own reasons for joining the club? In truth, Chika offered every member she personally recruited, something for joining Aqours. For Riko, a chance to reawaken her lost muse. For Ruby, the opportunity to pursue her dreams and love for the Sport of School Idols. For Hanamaru, the chance to become a protagonist rather than a background tree. For Yohane, a sanctuary that accepts her as she is, and a stage for the showmanship that Yohane loves.

Chika offered You nothing. You simply joined out of friendship to support Chika. And the hilarious thing is, Riko is providing the emotional support that I am sure You, the childhood friend thinks she should be providing, as this episode makes it clear. It must sting for Chika to open up to Riko, to cry on Riko's shoulder - I am sure a dark corner of You's mind might be thinking: wait a minute, shouldn't it be I, the childhood friend who knew Chika so well, my best friend, that my best friend pours her heart and soul upon? Somewhere, You has lost the position of Chika's confidante, and I have no doubt that the issue of You drifting apart is going to result in a reckoning.

If Mari indeed joins last of all, in a scene similar to the first PV, I'm calling it. You's character arc is slowly being built in the background, and will culminate in Aquarium, which will be the first full 9 Music Video (not just PV) that Aqours produces together. And the great character dramatic arc is how You fears that she is becoming a third wheel between Chika and Riko. Which illustrates the fundamental difference between the different second year trios. Honoka had her trio, with its compromises and closeness to one another delivered for her, a static, largely settled friendship circle, that Muse merely expands and strengthen.

Chika does not get her trio ready made delivered to her, Riko will not simply move into Chika's life and a new, happy equilibrium is established between the second years. No, Chika, You and Riko would have to work out how the newcomer coming into Chika's life figures into Chika's pre-existing relations with her best friend. Aqours has fundamentally disrupted the dynamic between Chika and You, in contrast, it strengthened and extended the dynamic between Honoka, Kotori and Umi.

In other words, Honoka has things freely delivered to her. Chika is not Honoka, will face trials Honoka will never, has a higher degree of self-reflection and awareness than Honoka, and feels the mantle of leadership much heavier than Honoka ever did and will, and puts on the mask of leadership to rally a group together, unlike Honoka who just had to be herself. Their outward arch-typical similarity aside, Chika is probably a masterful case of how you can take an arch-type that is so similar to the original, and spin it so refreshingly differently that new character feels truly different from the original. It was probably from the end of Episode 3 on that we really see how the Honoka archtype is executed so differently that Chika truly feels to be her own person. I dare even the most rabid genwunners of Love Live to call Chika a Honoka clone; sadly, I feel most of them probably dropped this series dismissing Chika as a Honoka clone without understanding how this was a very premature judgement.

I wouldn't even touch on the third year drama - all I can say is that if you are desperate to see Sunshine as a rehash, you'd make the argument it's a repeat of the Nico is a failed idol plot, if Nozomi and Eli were the two companions Nico drove away with her demanding status. Except Nico as a failed idol never had any real impact on the evolution of Muse, and was never a big plot point in the original LL outside Nico episodes, partly because the fractured relations with her two companions on that first failed journey never figured into the plot. The third years as failed idols on the other hand, has an outsized impact on the evolution of Aqours, and I suspect a persistent one. At worse, you could argue that Sunshine is exploring what the original series did not: taking the failed idol plot point brushed away awfully quickly in the original series and making it very critical to the cast and a very critical world-building point. Taking up a plot thread that was never ever executed, merely raised and dropped in the original.

In a sense, I imagine Guilty Kiss is in part an exploration of certain plot threads the original series raised, played for laughs and dismissed as a one episode weirdness. Guilty Kiss is an answer to what happens if an Idol Group choose to play in the genre of KISS as their focus, the metal/hard rock genre. In a sense, Muse dressing Goth Loli shifts from a one episode joke, to the founding premise of a sub-unit that shows it does not have to be a gimmick but a surprising driver of innovation and creativity when done well. I wonder whether (and this is going abit off point) this is the last we'd see of the Gothic costumes that appeared in the Yohane arc, but whether or not Aqours will bring up Sub-units and run with it is a question that will have to await the Third Years joining and if Aquarium indeed is a future arc, for You's issues to be solved. I do have to note that I wouldn't be surprised if Saint Snow is actually a sub-unit of a larger Idol Club, and what Aqours faced was actually sub-units from seeded, veteran Tokyo Idol Clubs, many of whom have won a championship. In a sense, Aqours are a Novice Group in a competition with no Novice bracket.

We only have five episodes left, and I have a suspicion we might not even have the full Aqours group until very close to the end. I don't foresee, and I hope the third year issues are not conveniently resolved next episode. I think with the ending of the Recruitment arc and the Tokyo Arc, we are now moving onto the Third Year arc. And this is is where Sunshine really diverges narrative from it's predecessors - I sense a more arc based approach to story-telling than LL which tended (with exceptions) to be episodic in nature.

Last edited by novalysis; 2016-08-20 at 19:18.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-20, 20:09   Link #55
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

MOTHERFUCKERS...Saint Snow's performance and song were fuckin fire. Absolute flames. You bet I'll cop that single if it ever becomes one. Man, I loved it so much.

What I DIDNT love was when the results showed "Aquors.....0." My heart sank. Not one soul voted for them. This was an absolutely crushing defeat. But I guess it was better than what Dia, Kanan and Mari did 2 years ago. So we now know that they didn't even perform or sing because of the powerhouses performing and the pressure dropping on them so hard.

The flashback scenes with the third years as freshman were so fuckin good. So. fuckin. good. Just because they're such different people with different personalities now (kinda). I was so stunned to see Kanan so hyped up and friendly and fuzzy. I'm sure she was like that before the whole Tokyo incident, but still. It's still great to see. It was also fantastic seeing Dia in such high spirits and happy and smiling, too. I want that Dia and Kanan back.

Oh my god, the docks scene with Mari and Kanan was so gut-wrenching when Mari put out her arms in the hopes of Kanan reciprocating her feelings. When she walked past her, I almost blew up. Mari just wants her friends back. Is that so hard to ask for?!?!?!?! ;__________________;

I hope Chika can rebound after this utter loss with a new fire. Maybe they'll take Saint Snow's words with the utmost consideration and approach the school idol game.......as not a game. lol
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-20, 22:03   Link #56
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Given the episode title, I was sort of expecting this. But this still threw me off a little bit.
Old 2016-08-20, 22:10   Link #57
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

This is what I was hoping they would do compared to the OG. A true sport anime with school idols. I hope there's bracket/ranking matches too.
They are going to work their way from zero to the top (like Ippo) with a lot of stumbles on the way with no easy way to victory.
Aqours isn't fortunate enough to have a Nozomi who can strategically place individuals to forming a group. You can blame Yohane for this, but that would be mean. lol

I knew Aqours is going to go through more trials and rivals than Muse has ever faced.
The competition is fierce and unforgiving. We have killers at top who can make Saint Snow cry. Literally.

I have a good feeling this is going to be more than just saving the school. There's a competitive gene that Chika never knew she had until it appeared right before Saint Snow's turn and then the frustration of not getting a single point after their best performance is something very few can move on from. She even held back her tears for the morale of the group, that's a leader. In the end, this experience made the team closer and hungry for the title.

The group getting a zero is not impossible since they're practically unknowns from a small sea village going to the big city where there are School Idols everywhere. It brings to home what Dia said about being lucky they had support from the locals. The reality sets in when you take that stage or field in a Road Game and there's no one on your side when you perform to the best of your abilities because the crowd is playing favorites and won't rooting for you...even if you had an MVP-like performance after the lost. It's a little too close to home for me. lol

The somber moments were well done and it gave a lot of gravity to the situation. School Idols are now serious business. It's almost a perversion of what Muse and school idols were all about. Now it's a high stakes, cut throat competition where School Idols mean-mugged their rivals and advising them to throw in the towel.

The corruption is very enticing and I welcome it with open arms, unlike Kanan. smh Shiny Oneesama's wet melons were waiting for you. Diving. That's your job right? lol

I'm wondering if that's the lesson Aqours will represent in the competition; to bring it back to basics and just have fun out there.
The "big bad" wasn't that bad at all. They're just salty overachievers that got a right cross from karma. They call themselves "Saint Snow" but all I saw was rain.

But seriously, I like their song and style, but now I want to meet the Top 8 groups that beat them. Please let there be an ojousama group. I need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
I do have to note that I wouldn't be surprised if Saint Snow is actually a sub-unit of a larger Idol Club, and what Aqours faced was actually sub-units from seeded, veteran Tokyo Idol Clubs, many of whom have won a championship. In a sense, Aqours are a Novice Group in a competition with no Novice bracket..
This would blow my mind.
I really want this to be a thing since the original never worked in the sub-units as much as I would have liked, but it's understandable.
Sunshine has an opportunity to make this happen. Can you imagine a fully animated (non-CG) Strawberry Trapper performance with dat A-RISE/Saint Snow budget?
Just give them the Championship Belt after "Yohane, Shoukan" drops. lol

"Come into my possession"

I agree with your post. There's going to be an arc for You and it's going to be amazing.
Youhane might actually be a thing. You going to be okay there, Nork?

Last edited by playmaker2k; 2016-08-21 at 00:10.
playmaker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-20, 23:41   Link #58
Ernietheracefan

I guess I'll watching Amanchu after this episode to recovering the wounded heart..

While comparing Tamayura with Aria is more like comparing Vividred with SW.
Ernietheracefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-21, 00:00   Link #59
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
On the topic of Saint Snow, I like how they're going with something truly different with them.

Saint Snow's costume was like a gothic/magical girl mix, and their overall presentation gave off a certain intense edginess, helped by vocals that give off a sort of dark ballad vibe. It's different from any other named group I've seen in the LL series, so that's good to see.
Old 2016-08-21, 00:07   Link #60
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
On the topic of Saint Snow, I like how they're going with something truly different with them.

Saint Snow's costume was like a gothic/magical girl mix, and their overall presentation gave off a certain intense edginess, helped by vocals that give off a sort of dark ballad vibe. It's different from any other named group I've seen in the LL series, so that's good to see.
I still believe Ria (the twintails) is going to be a Little Demon at the end of the series.
playmaker2k is offline   Reply With Quote