AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-03-25, 19:52   Link #1
bootleg

Question Gimp 2.0, need help.

I'm trying to create my own animated gif for an avatar. So far, I've got virtual dub and Gimp 2.0.

Questions:

I've already taken the pictures from a Naruto scene and saved it to a seperate folder, saving it as a .trg file, using Virtual Dub. I know that in order to convert it into a animated gif through Gimp, I have to save it as a jpg file. How do you do that?

Also, How do you resize the picture into a 100x100 bit size, using Virtual Dub?

Any help with this matter is appreciated.
bootleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-26, 01:29   Link #2
Green²
It's bacon!

A .tga file perhaps? Not sure about .trg...
Just open the file in GIMP and then in the image window, select File/Save As. You can change the file name and extension here. But be sure not to compress the file during the saving process,.. keep it 100%.

But if everything is in TGA, you probably could attempt a layering process as if it were a JPG file, but you will still need to switch to indexed mode at the end. I however, don't know what the results would be since I've never tried working with TGA in layers.

For resizing to 100x100 in Virtual Dub, don't.

It would be best to do that kind of editing work on some other program. Irfanview is good at doing this.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-26, 04:07   Link #3
bootleg

My mistake, it was a tga file.

Anyways, I read your tutorial on making animated gifs using BsPlay and Gimp. I've recently stopped using virtual dub and switched to Bsplay. After the switch, I was able to convert the files into jpeg, and Gimp was able to open it. Its like you said, its not as accurate as VD, but it gets the job done. Everything works great.

But I recently ran into a problem with one of your suggested steps.(the one below)

----------------------------------------
6. Working Under GIMP for Windows Part 2

A) Close all images that may be running in GIMP to avoid errors. Open GIMP's layer tool: Main GIMP window / File / Dialogs / Layers, Channels & Paths... Then open what is to be your first frame in the GIMP program. Keep this first frame open for the rest of this process.

B) In the Layer window, create a new layer by selecting the New Layer icon (Bottom left icon). The new layer options window will pop-up,.. use layer fill type: transparent, then select OK.

Open what is to be your second frame in the GIMP program. Copy the entire second frame: Right click on image / Edit / Copy. Then paste to your first frame/image: Right click on image / Edit / Paste. On the Layers window, anchor the layer: Icon looks like an ship anchor, located near bottom right. Close second image opened so that you can free up some computer memory and to avoid confusion.

Repeat part B for every other frame you want to add.

----------------------------------

The problems I have is the part explaining the use of the layers.
"create a new layer by selecting the New Layer icon (Bottom left icon). The new layer options window will pop-up,.. use layer fill type: transparent, then select OK. "
I clicked the new layer icon (bottom left), but, I never had a window pop up asking for layer fill type?

Another problem is with this one.
"Open what is to be your second frame in the GIMP program. Copy the entire second frame: Right click on image / Edit / Copy. Then paste to your first frame/image: Right click on image / Edit / Paste."
Could you please explain, which window you use to open the second frame. Is it the window containing the first frame or the main Gimp window?
Also, When I copy the second frame and paste it on to the 1st frame, I get a pop up window with a black background and white text. I was thinking it was some sort of error.

But I'm having a problem with step 6 as a whole.
If it isn't too much to ask. Could you add more detailed instructions on Step 6?

I appreciate your help,

============

On second thought, I don't need anymore help. I just figured it out. Your tutorial friggin works!!! Thanks a lot bro. I didn't really think I could ever do some thing like this.

I have seen the light.

=================

Hey Green, thanks again bro. Check it out, the avatar i'm using is the one I made through your steps (its the naruto opening theme one). I'll admit, it sucks,....but its something and original too.

Last edited by bootleg; 2004-03-26 at 04:34.
Old 2004-03-26, 09:57   Link #4
lavalyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootleg
Hey Green, thanks again bro. Check it out, the avatar i'm using is the one I made through your steps (its the naruto opening theme one). I'll admit, it sucks,....but its something and original too.
The avatar flashes horribly, scene changes are generally not a good idea. If you must, make the scene a little longer - or set some delays into the GIF animation.
lavalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-26, 10:41   Link #5
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Also, I would suggest VirtualDub over BSplayer. As with VirtualDub you can easily use a filter to help blur out those annoying subtitles.
JAppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-26, 13:07   Link #6
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
The problems I have is the part explaining the use of the layers.
"create a new layer by selecting the New Layer icon (Bottom left icon). The new layer options window will pop-up,.. use layer fill type: transparent, then select OK. "
I clicked the new layer icon (bottom left), but, I never had a window pop up asking for layer fill type?
In GIMP 2.0 you need to hold down the SHIFT key before you click on the New Layer icon in order to bring up the menu. One didn't need to do this in older 1 versions. Yet, creating a Empty Layer should also be just fine. This new guide was due to such changes in GIMP 2.0.

Quote:
On second thought, I don't need anymore help. I just figured it out. Your tutorial friggin works!!! Thanks a lot bro. I didn't really think I could ever do some thing like this.

I have seen the light.

=================

Excellent work! If subtitle are of a problem, and that if you don't want to mess around with removal filters, cropping the individual frames can usually help you get around this, but as the cost of losing everything that those subtitles had covered.
Old 2004-03-26, 14:07   Link #7
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green²
If subtitle are of a problem, and that if you don't want to mess around with removal filters, cropping the individual frames can usually help you get around this, but as the cost of losing everything that those subtitles had covered.
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guid...al/default.htm <--- good guide on subtitle removal ^_^ It's designed for video editing but it should work fine for avatars.
JAppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-26, 17:15   Link #8
bootleg

Once again, props to Green.

My latest gif is the Kakashi one. I was able to resize it and save the size as a template. After doing that, I could use that template on all the frames.
Old 2004-03-26, 18:22   Link #9
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
My latest gif is the Kakashi one. I was able to resize it and save the size as a template. After doing that, I could use that template on all the frames.
Now that is a big improvement over the previous avatar.

The guide JAppi had pointed out would be quite useful should you want to iron out your initial attempt that had the subtitles.
Old 2004-03-26, 18:32   Link #10
bootleg

Thanks

I just wish it would be a bit more sharper. But I'm happy with the results.