AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2012-07-20, 20:33   Link #26601
suiton629
Master Grade Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bio9205 View Post
I need some advice on using sandpaper. Is there a special technique to do it? Haven't been building gunpla kits in a long, long, while, and recently I tried using sandpaper to remove nub marks off some of my old gunpla kits. In the past I used a file and it worked great for me, but many seem to be using sandpaper so I figured I'd give it a try. But when I use sandpaper, the area around the nub gets all scratched up as well, something I didn't have a problem with using a file. (Or rather, the file covered up the area around the nub better, and doesn't leave ugly scratch marks.) Help, anyone?
What you want to do is file it down with the sandpaper and be gentle.
Go 1 direction...not back and forth.

It'll leave scratch marks, which you will fill in and smooth out with paints.

So sand, clean it up, primer, paint, top coat.
Old 2012-07-20, 21:54   Link #26602
duotiga
Zander Yuusha Kyorugold

Send a message via ICQ to duotiga Send a message via MSN to duotiga
another kit done

HGUC Rezel Type C

duotiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 22:48   Link #26603
Ikaoru

Has anyone have 1/100 GN sword IV for Quanta and managed to make its hands hold on to the sword itself?
Ikaoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-20, 23:16   Link #26604
duotiga
Zander Yuusha Kyorugold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikaoru View Post
Has anyone have 1/100 GN sword IV for Quanta and managed to make its hands hold on to the sword itself?
that sword is heavy which is why i prefer to mount it rather than to hold it
Old 2012-07-20, 23:43   Link #26605
Ikaoru

Hmmm

That's what I'm afraid of...

Can anyone tell me if they have a grip verions?

1/100 Builders Parts: Hand #01

Since the original hands are weak, I assume that the 1/100 "grip" version would be strong enough to hold the sword. Bit stupid to base on 1/144 Quanta that actually hold the sword.
Old 2012-07-21, 00:21   Link #26606
MoonLightShadows
Gundam Meister

I like the black an grey pirate Shaldoll. But the lime green one is much more colorfull, With the Adele, Farsia an Dorado.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
MoonLightShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 01:29   Link #26607
pumpkins

Quote:
I need some advice on using sandpaper. Is there a special technique to do it? Haven't been building gunpla kits in a long, long, while, and recently I tried using sandpaper to remove nub marks off some of my old gunpla kits. In the past I used a file and it worked great for me, but many seem to be using sandpaper so I figured I'd give it a try. But when I use sandpaper, the area around the nub gets all scratched up as well, something I didn't have a problem with using a file. (Or rather, the file covered up the area around the nub better, and doesn't leave ugly scratch marks.) Help, anyone?
you'll prob need to go up to about 800 grit if you're going to paint, otherwise maybe 1000 or 2000 grit. do a bit of wet sanding at the end too.
pumpkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 09:04   Link #26608
bio9205
Reborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkins View Post
you'll prob need to go up to about 800 grit if you're going to paint, otherwise maybe 1000 or 2000 grit. do a bit of wet sanding at the end too.
I don't paint at all, and just build them out of the box. Is there any specific technique to sand down parts? I still get a lot of scratch marks, unlike when I'm using a file.
bio9205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 11:17   Link #26609
Chiu_fan
Panzer Vor!

Quote:
I don't paint at all, and just build them out of the box. Is there any specific technique to sand down parts? I still get a lot of scratch marks, unlike when I'm using a file.
What I do after I sand is use a nail buffer to remove any scratches on my kit. To me it's a must have in my toolbox. I specifically use the one with 3 different colors(pink, white and gray). Hope this helps.
Old 2012-07-21, 13:36   Link #26610
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Just wrap/attach a small piece of sandpaper to something like a thin block of wood or something in equal size to file you used before.
Helps to narrow down the surface size of the sandpaper in order to not scratch the surrounding areas.

Altho I think works better if you use something like 400 at first to get most of it off, then using something higher to finish off.

Could also try some polich compound stuff, however I've never tried that(but seems like a good guide tip, which I think I'll give a go at some point) so may want to look into that more, sure Youtube can help out.
Old 2012-07-22, 00:23   Link #26611
Ikaoru

Has anyone own 00 Raiser Designer Color and MG 00 Raiser? If so, does the hands fit to each wrist?
Old 2012-07-22, 02:54   Link #26612
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Has anyone own 00 Raiser Designer Color and MG 00 Raiser? If so, does the hands fit to each wrist?
I have the 1/100 00 Designer Color & (unassembled) MG 00 7 Sword. Their hands don't fit by default. I think their wrist connectors are quite different. Unless you work on it somehow.

@duotiga
That's a sweet Rezel.
Old 2012-07-22, 04:38   Link #26613
Appel

Quote:
they dont fit. the no grade hands of every OO gundam are like a rod that fits into a hole. the hands of the MG OO gundam and OO Qan[T] have regular balljoints that fit into a polycap.
Appel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 05:03   Link #26614
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appel View Post
they dont fit. the no grade hands of every OO gundam are like a rod that fits into a hole. the hands of the MG OO gundam and OO Qan[T] have regular balljoints that fit into a polycap.
Yup yup. This is the pic of my 00 Designers Color's hands.

Surely they won’t fit the MG 00's wrists without any customization or so, Ikaoru.
Old 2012-07-22, 07:05   Link #26615
duotiga
Zander Yuusha Kyorugold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post

@duotiga
That's a sweet Rezel.
thanks.the 2 mega launchers caught my eye
Old 2012-07-22, 11:10   Link #26616
Ikaoru

Current Status

At first, I remember reading an article about 00-Raiser's extra hand which happens to fit 00 Quanta. The problem is that the hands are weak and can't have a solid grip when holding the sword (combination of ball-jointed thumbs and connecting fingers to the palm)

The reason I ask about the 00 Raiser's MG and Designer (from my previous post) is because I saw the manual that their peg is almost identical. I couldn't find my MG 00 Raiser and the other Designer Color (either Cherudim and Arios version) at that time.

Once I found my kits, I ended up using Arios' right hand. Slot the sword inside it and connect the peg to Quanta's wrist and ended up with this pic

Which is awesome And can do multiple poses if I can have a tighter right arm to support the weight.

The problem is when you go to the other side which looks like this

And here's the comparison between Quanta's original right hand and Arios' right hand (with sword)

Now... once I got the order of new set of palms (GGInfinite or but a designer kit... which is an iffy), can I use a knife to cut the bulk and glued in the skinny peg? Would that work and not having to worry about the sturdiness?
Old 2012-07-22, 17:42   Link #26617
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Now... once I got the order of new set of palms (GGInfinite or but a designer kit... which is an iffy), can I use a knife to cut the bulk and glued in the skinny peg? Would that work and not having to worry about the sturdiness?
Depends on the glue. if anything try to get another Quanta hand and glue the sword stuck (not recommended though).

Glueing the small peg is going to leave a really tiny space for the superglue to carry the weight of the sword, i highly doubt it'll hold. if anything, try cutting thinning the bigger piece, that would be a better choice imo.
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-22, 19:16   Link #26618
Ikaoru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znozzy View Post
if anything, try cutting thinning the bigger piece, that would be a better choice imo.
What kind of tool do you recommend?
Old 2012-07-22, 19:32   Link #26619
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
What kind of tool do you recommend?
Something noted just earlier in the thread, Sandpaper.

While a craft knife can do the work, you can mess up and cut too much off.
However with sanding, you can work it down easier and just test how it fits very so often. It will take longer but your less likely to mess up and should provide a more even result.
Old 2012-07-22, 20:30   Link #26620
Ikaoru

Cool.

Thanks for the info. I just order a couple of replacement parts from... GG Infinite. It'll be a slow process but at least it's possible for Quanta to hold the GN Sword IV.

Thanks again

Tags
gundam, gunpla, model kit, toy