AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-10-05, 14:25   Link #421
Xaturas

^^ I said clearly in that post. I was ok with Yaoi Stick boy in Koi To. It was a fanservice for girls liking that crazy sh1t, no problem there for me. But when your Main Character starts sending winks and getting moisty in his black hole, for some bodyguard, then I can't accept that.
In most stories you get into *MC shoes* and look at the world trough him. If someone is gay for MC and you aren't so fond of gay relationship involving you, then you can just skip it over.
However when that MC starts sending yaoi vibes, then all you can think of is "hell no" and jump out of the ship.
I didn't really watch the op/ed but I could see some scenes where MC is really close with bodyguard under the umbrella. So it may be that that particular thing will make me hate this anime and leave it.
Old 2012-10-05, 14:26   Link #422
Dop
Mmmm....

First thought: Good to see some of the guys from Durarararara (sorry, I stuttered) have found new jobs.

Second thought: So, Shonen Bat has traded in his old rollerblades for a skateboard now?

Third thought: Well, that was a triumph of style over substance, wasn't it?

Don't get me wrong, I didn't dislike it or anything, but it didn't really grab me. Will take me a few more episodes to decide.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 15:09   Link #423
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Pssst, fanservice can only go one way, the other way is all wrong and unwatchable.

>Xaturas
If even the prospect and some little service bothers you I think you'd beter start looking for solid land... xD;;

(Me, I'm just waiting for the inevitable onslaught of Munakata x Suou over at pixiv...)

Apropos pixiv, wow, the 1st ep is barely out and they're already selling what look like official cosplay for Kurou and the Sexy Corps? (to whoever it was that came up with this name, I think I'm going to use it from now on... XD) They really, really want this show to be popular...
I hope the MC mans up and gets himself a girl.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 15:25   Link #424
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
I hope the MC mans up and gets himself a girl.
A cat is fine too (с)

Especially such sexy cat
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 17:10   Link #425
Shyne

Liked the first episode. Hope this turns out to be a promising series which is has the potential to be a great one. Way too early to know for sure. Looking forward to the next episode.

Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 17:13   Link #426
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

A lot to take in for the first episode, but man it looks cool. I kinda got a "The World Ends With You" vibe mixed in with bits of other series here and there. Really like how the character designs look as well.
Old 2012-10-05, 17:51   Link #427
NK_500
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
lol, well, it wasn't anything major. It's honestly "blink and you miss it". But up to you.
No really but it confirms my theory that it is a fujioshi-bait show.
NK_500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 18:14   Link #428
leokiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK_500 View Post
No really but it confirms my theory that it is a fujioshi-bait show.
A fujoshi bait with a loli and naked girls? It seems this appeals to both audiences. And honestly, the animation here is gorgeous. The style is incredible, don't miss out on this.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 18:27   Link #429
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Graphics looked good, expect maybe for the color styling which makes it seem like a Michael Bay movie.

I agree with SQA on the story. It wasn't hard to understand. All the important information was given.
I disagree.

The "why?" question is totally dodged, and that's very important information.

Why should I care about these fights if I don't know why they're going on? Sure, I can tell who's leading each side in the fights, I can tell what's going on in the fight, I can tell that there's opposing factions here. But why should anybody care about these fights (or about these characters, for that matter) if we know zilch about their motivations?

That being said, I think that this level of spectacle can carry a first episode in and of itself. The action scenes look very cool, and that's good enough for now. But eventually the novelty of the great visuals wears off, and it's important to have emotional investment to truly care about these fights. And emotional investment in fictional combat involves knowing what the characters are fighting for and why they're fighting for it.

So, yeah, I don't think this minimalist approach is one that they should stick to for long.
Old 2012-10-05, 18:51   Link #430
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

I didn't like the first ep. Granted, many series don't turn out very interesting first episodes, so that's no reason to drop the series yet. I'll at least watch the next episode. Somebody on a previous page said that this ep was style over substance, and I have to agree. Yes, a decent amount of info was given out despite the lack of dialogue, but as TripleR just said, the episode didn't delve into why things were happening, or why anyone should care. And so far I don't care. (Well, this happens with a lot of series. It needs more time.)

I found that the visuals were too busy, and weren't very easy on the eyes. The camera direction was sometimes really good, and sometimes uncomfortable. There was a point early on in the ep where a sword was drawn in really good timing with the background music, and that's the thing I liked best in the episode.

The music...didn't sound very good. I think the OP would have been much better without the English lines.

I was disappointed to find out that the main character wasn't that girl who's taken centre stage in the promo art, but was that white-haired boy, Yashiro. Now, I don't think we were really meant to identify with Yashiro as the protagonist, at least not yet, so I can forgive him for not being very appealing. I was disappointed by Kuro, since in the OP sequence he looked like a really cool girl, but he turned out to be a guy. And in combination with Yashiro (their hairstyles, hair colours, height difference, voices, demeanours) they look rather stereotypically yaoi couple-ish. I like yaoi fine, but couldn't they have switched things up a bit so that they aren't so stereotypical? Same old, same old.

The girl (who I see from this thread is called Neko) turned out to be a cat...That isn't necessarily the kiss of death, but from this ep, the preview, and some other official art I've run into, it looks as if she's going to be spending a fair amount of time with nothing on when she isn't in cat form. This is the main female character in the series? I seriously hope that she's going to be reasonably intelligent rather than a mrrowr-ing fanservice girl. There aren't many female characters in this series as it is.
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 18:56   Link #431
Kazu-kun

Quote:
I disagree.

The "why?" question is totally dodged, and that's very important information.
I don't need to know that now. I'm cool with learning about it when it fits the story best.

I think we're just too used to info-dumping and dull exposition. Anime relies on that way too much. Let's see the story unfold. We'll know the why's soon enough.
Old 2012-10-05, 19:26   Link #432
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
That being said, I think that this level of spectacle can carry a first episode in and of itself.
Just to be clear,when I (and I figure others as well) say I don't need a "why",I'm saying this just because it's a first episode,I'm not saying the show doesn't need a why,just that the first episode doesn't.
Old 2012-10-05, 19:39   Link #433
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Quick capsule review:

- OooooOOOOOooooo... Shiiiiiiiiiny...
- DAT NEKO DERRIÈRE
- The earnest BL-panic in this thread is pretty funny
- Impossible to judge if the story will be any good yet, so three eps, here I come!

On a less flippant note, they really do have quite the all-star cast, don't they? The unwavering stylishness of the episode makes a big impact too. This show has presence, and isn't afraid to sell itself as a big deal. It's amazing what that kind of perceived confidence can do for a show. Even if it doesn't turn out as good as it seems to promise to be, at least it knows how to get in the door. I really respect when anime aren't afraid to be bombastic.

I kind of hope the "ensemble cast" vibe I'm getting isn't just my own personal prejudices making me see what isn't there. I'm more interested in seeing the dynamics of the various factions than I am in seeing a few core characters dominate the show.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 19:59   Link #434
kuromitsu

I don't particularly mind the lack of "why" just yet - this was just the first episode, and it had a pretty standard in medias res start as a way of getting viewers hooked. I'm pretty sure that at this point we're meant to be asking "why" and hoping to find out the answers in the upcoming episodes. (I like this kind of storytelling, and FWIW I'm quite certain we'll get some infodumps in the next ep...) It's just that it was... so very standard. And trying way too hard. And being gimmicky for the sole purpose of being gimmicky and pandering to every possible target group.

As for the characters, I'm not expecting much from them, but as long as they're not annoying and at least somewhat entertaining I'm be okay with them. I'm kind of "whatever" about the Black & White pair yet, obviously there's more to Yashiro than meets the eye, and Kurou... I suppose he'll spend most the show being stoically emo, but as long as he's not obnoxious about it I'll be okay with him. My interests lie more with the Homura gang and the Sexy Corps, more specifically the Red & Blue pair (Suou and Munataka), I expect them to be at least somewhat interesting, based on their little fight in the OP. Plus the Sexy Corps has Munataka's sidekick and Miyano Mamoru's chara (who has a pretty unfortunate design).

I do like the music. I'm not so hot on the hip-hop parts because the speech is distracting, but otherwise I thought i was quite good and fit the mood and style very well, doing its job complementing the visuals and not trying to force itself to the foreground (oh, Zetsuen no Tempest... -__-). Generally, I think the show is very well-put together, it's just way too busy trying to be cool and popular.

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2012-10-05 at 20:17.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 20:22   Link #435
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I don't need to know that now.
Not everybody feels the same way, though. People generally like for fictional conflicts to be properly contextualized so we're given a reason to actually care about them. When such context isn't there it can cause confusion or perplexity for a lot of viewers, and I don't think that viewers should be faulted for that. Wanting to avoid such viewer confusion and perplexity is why anime relies on "info-dumping" and "dull exposition". It relies on it for very good reason.

You can go too far with info-dumping and exposition, but it's possible to go too far the other way and have scenes that aren't properly contextualized at all.
Old 2012-10-05, 20:24   Link #436
Xaturas

If we won't get some info dump in next 2 eps then, we can all agree.
As it stands now first ep was more of a *woah* factor, than the typical series where MC tells who he is where he lives what he does and all that daily life romance crap.
Old 2012-10-05, 20:31   Link #437
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Not everybody feels the same way, though. People generally like for fictional conflicts to be properly contextualized so we're given a reason to actually care about them.
The conflict has verily been introduced. Knowing more about it right now wouldn't necessarily make you care. Let's wait and see.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2012-10-05 at 21:17.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 21:16   Link #438
Kirroha
Just... disturbed.

The first episode caught my interest, and I can't wait for the second one. I don't get what people dislike about it - I like the way they show, but not tell, so you have plenty of unanswered questions to anticipate.

Can't say I like the excessive blue though. It just feels awkward to me.
Kirroha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 21:29   Link #439
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Just watched the first episode... interesting but little skeptical about the series and the direction it'll possibly go in. None the less, the main character is really unique and he's certainly fun to watch.

I'm definitely follow this to see where this goes, and the art and visual look really cool to me.
Old 2012-10-05, 21:36   Link #440
Kirroha
Just... disturbed.

I'm not a fan of yaoi, but I have to raise my eyebrows a bit at how people are cringing at just a little hint of it. I mean, if girls can be fine with yuri without being lesbian, and can accept yuri-liking males, how come guys just have to treat yaoi fangirls like devil incarnates?

Also, that loli is so hnnngh. <3
Kirroha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, bishonen, fantasy, gang, supernatural