AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-03, 03:40   Link #1041
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvianWing View Post
Yup, lol.

Though I'm surprised that they didn't keep it York Shin in the translation. It sounds so much better.
Except Yorkshin means Yorknew which is pretty much the joke. If the translators kept it as Yorkshin, us non-Japanese-speaking folks wouldn't even know that there was a joke to begin with.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-03, 17:53   Link #1042
Exophase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Except Yorkshin means Yorknew which is pretty much the joke. If the translators kept it as Yorkshin, us non-Japanese-speaking folks wouldn't even know that there was a joke to begin with.
I don't like it when translations translate names. It removes the aesthetic quality of the name that the namer may have been intending. True, the namer may also have been intending something by the literal meaning too, that could be lost in translation. That's why it's helpful to include footnotes for things like this. Then you get both the meaning and the aesthetics, as well as minimizing the disconnect between what they say on the screen and what you read, where some names sound like what's being said and some don't.

Obviously being a play on New York is the point, although I wouldn't call it a joke because it isn't really funny. But they don't actually call it "Shin York City" in Japan. So in this case calling it "Yorkshin" over "York New" is less blatant. It's still obvious what they're going for if you know what the word means but it doesn't jump in your face every time you see it.

That and it doesn't look jarring due to looking wrong from being backwards (not because we think it's supposed to be New York, but because we're not used to "New" coming after something's name in general)
Exophase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-04, 07:59   Link #1043
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Footnotes, are, well.. Lets not get into an argument about footnotes. It's a choice that fan translators sometimes make, but localizers don't get, lets keep it at that. I will keep using the name Yorknew if you don't mind.
Old 2012-04-04, 12:47   Link #1044
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exophase View Post
I don't like it when translations translate names. It removes the aesthetic quality of the name that the namer may have been intending. True, the namer may also have been intending something by the literal meaning too, that could be lost in translation. That's why it's helpful to include footnotes for things like this. Then you get both the meaning and the aesthetics, as well as minimizing the disconnect between what they say on the screen and what you read, where some names sound like what's being said and some don't.

Obviously being a play on New York is the point, although I wouldn't call it a joke because it isn't really funny. But they don't actually call it "Shin York City" in Japan. So in this case calling it "Yorkshin" over "York New" is less blatant. It's still obvious what they're going for if you know what the word means but it doesn't jump in your face every time you see it.

That and it doesn't look jarring due to looking wrong from being backwards (not because we think it's supposed to be New York, but because we're not used to "New" coming after something's name in general)
Most of the character names/attack names/city names in HxH are puns. In order to fully get the allegory, Viz chose to translate in a way that makes the pun obvious. For example, there's a character introduced in the future named "Masadoru Deiigo" in Japanese, but it's actually an anagram in Japanese for Kim Jong-il--whom the character is based upon. The Viz version chose to translate his name as "Ming Jol-ik" in order to preserve the meaning. It's done for the sake of the narrative.
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-04, 14:51   Link #1045
jcdietz03

The story so far...
Introduction (ep. 1)
Hunter Exam Arc (ep 2-20)
Zoldyck Family Intro (ep 21-25)
Heavens Arena Arc (ep 26 - ??)

I imagine at some point we will be introduced to the Phantom Troupe similar to this last mini-arc.

Soooo...Killua is like the Sasuke of HxH (friend that will eventually betray the group)? That last comment from his father foreshadows it. I don't know what to make of his behavior during the final exam phase from ep. 21 (where it is suggested Killua isn't responsible for what happened). This is just a guess about future events based on past ones and shouldn't be considered a spoiler (as I have not read the manga).
jcdietz03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-04, 14:54   Link #1046
kakakka

Funny, Sasuke is based on Kurapica, from what I heard.

Also, I thought 27 was the start of Heaven's Arena? 26 is recap.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-04, 15:12   Link #1047
Clarste
Human

Yeah, Sasuke is clearly based on Kurapica. Revenge for his family, eyes that change colors, etc.

Killua is... unpredictable. That's about all we know for now. He clearly wants friends, but he also has his assassin upbringing lurking in the background. Illumi thinks that he'll eventually want to kill Gon, and Killua seemed pretty jealous of Gon's ranking in the final Hunter exam, but Killua also honestly wants to escape his life as an assassin and have a real friend.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-04, 16:14   Link #1048
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Daamn .. This was progressing so slowly that I went and watched the original series.. And damn was it good. Feels almost like pointless to watch this now .. But I really hope that with so much material available right now, once this anime one day reaches G.I. Final arc and passes it, it will continue and not also end right there.

I tried reading the manga from where the original OVA's left off but god, how could anyone read that? The '' art '' is so simple and boring it can hardly be called art.
Old 2012-04-04, 16:17   Link #1049
kakakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
I tried reading the manga from where the original OVA's left off but god, how could anyone read that? The '' art '' is so simple and boring it can hardly be called art.
Limitations of online reading. Those are from magazine scans. They basically looked like drafts. The volumes/tankobon have a cleaner look, but you have to buy them to get that effect. (or borrow)
Old 2012-04-04, 16:36   Link #1050
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Hmm ..? When I googled that just now from picture search, I got a result with much better look, indeed. This was around ch200. However the same site still had that crappy look on ch185 which is where I should continue from. Does that chapter just look that bad or does it actually look good if I bought the manga? I just have hard time believing that if an english translation of that manga exists then why would all the copies floating on the net be magazine scans?

I don't mind buying the manga, if it looks good. I don't even read manga generally but I just can't take how the original anime ended .. >.<

Also looking at the wikipedia, the release of the manga volumes confuse me? Volume 29 was released on April 2011 and the next volume is set to be released on April 2012? How can it take an year for next volume to be released? Not to mention the english translations that seem to have taken even longer.
Old 2012-04-04, 17:47   Link #1051
kakakka

The huge gap between releases was caused by hiatuses the mangaka took in the past (even in the present). And probably add that the English distributor does not place it in priority of things to consider releasing.
Old 2012-04-06, 13:15   Link #1052
Arjento

Hi,

I'm not familiar with this anime but it seems it was quite popular back in the day.

Would you recommend I start watching this 2011 series or the old one?

Is it the same storyline?

Thanks.
Arjento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-06, 14:59   Link #1053
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjento View Post
Hi,

I'm not familiar with this anime but it seems it was quite popular back in the day.

Thanks.
Storyline is basically the same (99%).

Start with the new one, but you might be tempted to watch the old one, once you caught up.
Old 2012-04-06, 20:22   Link #1054
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjento View Post
Hi,

Thanks.
I started with old one, will be done soon. But I was looking through some of the new episodes and here is what I think.

Old series seem too stretched out sometimes by having a lot of content that I think could be dismissed.
However, new series seem to be shortening some scenes way too much... I would say it's the same problem as with first 10 episodes of FMA: Brotherhood where things went so fast that it made me not care =/
But the rest was up the equality.
New series arcs are half shorter than what was shown in old series.

I personally don't regret watching old series but I have no idea how this will reflect when I'll start new series...
But then again you can always miss out the same stuff through new series and wait for new content.
Old 2012-04-07, 03:55   Link #1055
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

^ Pretty much that. I will have to add that most of the "apparently" shorter episodes are from the filler being cut. I say "most" because the new anime does do SOME things differently and DOES dispense with some things. I blame it on an attempt to not become a carbon copy of the original anime.
Old 2012-04-08, 06:52   Link #1056
ookamigirl

Well... this was a nice summary of stuff that happened so far.
Felt like a waste of time though.
Hope next episode will move on with the plot.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 07:57   Link #1057
Tsukou

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsbwk View Post
Exactly, I really don't know what the fuss about the 'changes' in this adaptation. It's so minor and doesn't contradict the manga portrayal. Gotoh was always a badass and threatening (if he wanted to be) yakuza-like butler in the manga, as a reader he had you convinced that he'd really live up to his words to kill Canary if Gon were to fail. it's basically those very extreme sense of honor popular in old school yakuza stories. So what if he lied to Killua, so he can test Gon on his own? He stated his feelings clearly already...Killua is so dear to him like a son, it's like giving a daughter away in marriage for any father, so he does want to test if Gon is a worthy friend for Killua on his own. It felt very Japanese. This minor change only showed Gotoh having a will of his own, not just merely a butler who does what's told.

Yet seems like some people tend to subscribe to the 1999 series's version where they made the butlers seem 'safer' and nicer on the surface. Just read the manga.
Honestly a lot of the dislike of this current part probably started with how they changed the opening of the gate, how each one of them trained to open them, but instead they do a cheesy everyone together opens one of the gates. It leads to people starting to pick apart small differences that imo make inherently big changes in the overall story.

Honestly you talk as if the 1999 series didn't have the same amount of tension. When I first watched through that part of the show, you could feel the tension in the air. You weren't sure how serious they were, and as another poster put, that ambiguity is important in the story. And then when Killua makes his appearance the curtain is pulled open, and you see that Gotoh was merely "acting" or was he? You're unsure, but just like how he talked about the game being a good way to pass the time, you get drawn into that, and get absorbed into the pacing.

Instead, in this series you get this very forced tension, which is done worse. I think in the original and how it's suppose to be portrayed, you aren't suppose to be sure whether or not they are serious, in this one, there is only one answer, and it's that they were serious. Gotoh goes from being shown as someone with two sides, to someone with only one. What I mean is he still gives off the Yakuza feel in the original, but then shows his lighthearted side when all is said and done. In this one he seems way to one dimensional, no ambiguity I think is bad in this case, because HxH as a series takes a very ambiguous stance in all the arcs, getting rid of it seems silly.

They're definitely making changes to try to set themselves apart from the original, but it ends up changing the storylines enough to make it less appealing, and less like the feeling the manga gave off, even tho they are following the manga better. It's disappointing.
Tsukou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 15:01   Link #1058
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Oh man a review ep, well at least we get to see more of Mito and grandma.
Old 2012-04-08, 16:59   Link #1059
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukou View Post
Honestly a lot of the dislike of this current part probably started with how they changed the opening of the gate, how each one of them trained to open them, but instead they do a cheesy everyone together opens one of the gates. It leads to people starting to pick apart small differences that imo make inherently big changes in the overall story.

Honestly you talk as if the 1999 series didn't have the same amount of tension. When I first watched through that part of the show, you could feel the tension in the air. You weren't sure how serious they were, and as another poster put, that ambiguity is important in the story. And then when Killua makes his appearance the curtain is pulled open, and you see that Gotoh was merely "acting" or was he? You're unsure, but just like how he talked about the game being a good way to pass the time, you get drawn into that, and get absorbed into the pacing.

Instead, in this series you get this very forced tension, which is done worse. I think in the original and how it's suppose to be portrayed, you aren't suppose to be sure whether or not they are serious, in this one, there is only one answer, and it's that they were serious. Gotoh goes from being shown as someone with two sides, to someone with only one. What I mean is he still gives off the Yakuza feel in the original, but then shows his lighthearted side when all is said and done. In this one he seems way to one dimensional, no ambiguity I think is bad in this case, because HxH as a series takes a very ambiguous stance in all the arcs, getting rid of it seems silly.

They're definitely making changes to try to set themselves apart from the original, but it ends up changing the storylines enough to make it less appealing, and less like the feeling the manga gave off, even tho they are following the manga better. It's disappointing.
While I'm not as disappointed about this as most people, I totally understand what you're saying here.

It follows the manga exceptionally well... Except in those times that it doesn't. Some of the time it adds something, some of the time we're left wondering "Why change this at all?". Like the expansion of Canary's backstory was nice, but as a tradeoff them entering the trial gate was cheapened. I'm not even sure why they had Killua arrive early this time round. They could just as well just have waited. Ah well, maybe the writers here actually didn't catch the original writer's original intent. They can't be right all the time can they?
Old 2012-04-10, 07:24   Link #1060
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

^ Spoilers. Lots of them.

Tags
action, shounen