AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2023-01-12, 12:14   Link #541
ramlaen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
It's only the first time a second Speaker Ballot was needed in the last 100 years. Nothing of note surely.
I was being generous, it's barely been a week and people have stopped talking about it.

It is up to you to decide whether that is because it truly didn't matter or because new things to talk about (like Joe's classified documents) have come up.
ramlaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-12, 20:08   Link #542
The Green One

Careful there, it's like you're admitting that's a crime. Your lord and master Trump won't like that. After all if Biden goes down for this, that means Trump must as well.
Old 2023-01-13, 03:59   Link #543
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
Careful there, it's like you're admitting that's a crime. Your lord and master Trump won't like that. After all if Biden goes down for this, that means Trump must as well.
Biden won't go down because of this, at worse they might argue than it happened because of dementia. It might even be the true.
Old 2023-01-14, 10:38   Link #544
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Wouldn't it be a crime if he still had said documents after leaving office? At the moment he has plot shield, I mean, presidential immunity, no?
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-03-30, 18:22   Link #545
cyberdemon

Well Trump has officially been indicted. Who knows how it will play out though. Could be fun to watch lol
Old 2023-03-30, 19:27   Link #546
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

I expect whole load of fake outrage from many high ranking GOP politicians, either because this clears the way for their own nomination in 2024 or most likely, because having trumpo out of the way means the return to the pre-trump politics in the same sense that after reagan faded from the public view, the republican party returned to their usual shenanigans while claiming to keep the former actor turned politician legacy alive.
Old 2023-03-30, 19:35   Link #547
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
I expect whole load of fake outrage from many high ranking GOP politicians, either because this clears the way for their own nomination in 2024 or most likely, because having trumpo out of the way means the return to the pre-trump politics in the same sense that after reagan faded from the public view, the republican party returned to their usual shenanigans while claiming to keep the former actor turned politician legacy alive.
Honestly they’d love to see Trump in jail With a few exception, mtg. They’re just too fearful of his base to say it out loud. They just need to keep up appearances until the deed is done.
Old 2023-03-31, 00:33   Link #548
Key Board
Carbon

I admit I've been wrong about Trump's influence

I think he's still a lot more popular than De Santis

Yes, all the influencers and terminally online people prefer De Santis, but your average GOP voter will look at De Santis as go "lame, he's short. what a loser"

So I don't know. They need Trump

//
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-03-31, 01:51   Link #549
ramlaen

Indicting Trump on a misdemeanor, that was passed over at least twice by federal and state prosecutors in the past for a there not being a there, is the sort of genie in the bottle that I hope the people who want to see Trump in jail regardless of the facts do not regret setting free.

Last edited by ramlaen; 2023-03-31 at 02:05.
Old 2023-03-31, 02:06   Link #550
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Uh huh.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-03-31, 02:09   Link #551
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

No one is above the law.
Old 2023-03-31, 02:31   Link #552
ramlaen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
No one is above the law.
Can you name any of the people who were in Ghislane Maxwell's black book?
Old 2023-03-31, 03:38   Link #553
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
No one is above the law.
No one should be above the law, but in practice not so much.
The dissapointing thing about the situation is the crime for what they go against him, they should had gone for something more critical or for some frauds or scams he did before 2016.
Old 2023-03-31, 07:26   Link #554
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
No one should be above the law, but in practice not so much.
The dissapointing thing about the situation is the crime for what they go against him, they should had gone for something more critical or for some frauds or scams he did before 2016.
Al Capone only got arrested for tax evasion. It’s hard to charge those with power that even finding something small could open the flood gates
Old 2023-03-31, 10:48   Link #555
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramlaen View Post
Indicting Trump on a misdemeanor, that was passed over at least twice by federal and state prosecutors in the past for a there not being a there, is the sort of genie in the bottle that I hope the people who want to see Trump in jail regardless of the facts do not regret setting free.
If you are thinking "when trump returns to power we will jail everybody and have the last laugh", that simply isn't going to happen. Trumpism is dead and we are going to see its carcass on display for months to come. This is but the first indictment, the tip of the iceberg and republicans run the risk of trump winning the nomination, being on the ballot but by the time of the elections being ineligible, now THAT would be the last laugh.
Old 2023-03-31, 11:24   Link #556
ramlaen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
If you are thinking "when trump returns to power we will jail everybody and have the last laugh", that simply isn't going to happen. Trumpism is dead and we are going to see its carcass on display for months to come. This is but the first indictment, the tip of the iceberg and republicans run the risk of trump winning the nomination, being on the ballot but by the time of the elections being ineligible, now THAT would be the last laugh.
I'm thinking that indicting political opponents on flimy charges in order to interfere with upcoming elections is a dangerous precident and something you see in third world dictatorships.
Old 2023-03-31, 11:41   Link #557
cyberdemon

Quote:
I'm thinking that indicting political opponents on flimy charges in order to interfere with upcoming elections is a dangerous precident and something you see in third world dictatorships.
Trump tried to do just that
Old 2023-03-31, 11:51   Link #558
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
The word you are looking for is not "third world dictatorships", the correct term is "authoritative governments", it is irrelevant whether they are poor (like nicaragua) or rich (like Singapore).

The thing here is that you need to be naive to think that trump is not guilty as charged, flimsy would they be if charges can be easily tossed by a semi-competent lawyer. I think the precedent here is that you should not nominate crooks to office, neither you should commit felonies while in office (oh yeah, those are coming, but come last because they are the cherry on the cake) and that is the anathema of authoritative governments.
Old 2023-03-31, 12:45   Link #559
ramlaen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
Trump tried to do just that
And House democrats voted to impeach him for it (at least initially as the accusation was an ever shifting goalpost). Does this mean Bragg should be punished as well?
Old 2023-03-31, 17:14   Link #560
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
Al Capone only got arrested for tax evasion. It’s hard to charge those with power that even finding something small could open the flood gates
As you said, it's hard to charge thoses with power and money, shouldn't they had go with something with better chance to get him in jail? Realistically they only have one chance at this, if they screw this one they won't ever try again.