AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-10-09, 15:59   Link #81
Ama no Kagaseo
Your local dark deity.

Send a message via MSN to Ama no Kagaseo Send a message via Yahoo to Ama no Kagaseo
Outside of tragic story/monster of the week, I don't have much of a hope for a story for this show. The best plot I can foresee is mini arcs about some massive evil that they must combat, and then at the end Itsuki will be forced to take off his eye patch...

And order them around.

Only to suck them up later.

Sadly I too see the harem anime in the making. u.u Hense my disappointment.

Now that I'm thinking about it, Rental Magica has a strange feeling to it that makes me think of both "Ghost Hunt" and "D-Gray Man" or whatever at the same time, and in the worst way. xD Kind of like they said "Well, this is cool. This is cool too!!! -Smashhhh!-"
Ama no Kagaseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 16:23   Link #82
herbert

Quick, too quick.

How can everyone already decide what kind anime this show is only after one episode?

I haven't read the novel so I can't tell you if you are wrong. But I suggest give it a few more episodes before announcing you are disappointed.
Old 2007-10-09, 16:27   Link #83
Ama no Kagaseo
Your local dark deity.

Send a message via MSN to Ama no Kagaseo Send a message via Yahoo to Ama no Kagaseo
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
Quick, too quick.

How can everyone already decide what kind anime this show is only after one episode?

I haven't read the novel so I can't tell you if you are wrong. But I suggest give it a few more episodes before announcing you are disappointed.
First impressions are the most important.

I'm not to quick in my decisions, we al already know just from the first episode that it's not going to turn into an intellectual magic anime over night, and it's already dropping some pretty big harem hints.

I never said, either, that I wasn't going to give it a fair chance. We all know that a show can turn around after the first episode, but we already have a vague idea of what it's about already. There's only so much it can change.
Ama no Kagaseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 16:31   Link #84
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

Think Phantom Quest Corp/Ghost Sweeper Mikami with probably a larger storyline for anyone that's wondering what this show is like or similar too. Meant that original for herbert but I read his post wrong. >_>
Shouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 16:37   Link #85
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
I see...

Unlike most other shows I've been involved in lately, I do NOT know this anime's story for a change (and I'd prefer to keep it at that ^_^ ), so I'm basically just another fan. But it seemed to me at the end of the ep that Kunugi would not become a part of any harem in this show.

So Manami (she is the apprentice, right?) will develop a romantic interest in Itsuki too? Hmm... okay.

I just got the feeling that the show will not turn out to be a simple harem comedy. Maybe I'm hoping for too much, but my antenna seems to pick up undercurrents of a decently serious main storyline, garnished with Addie-Honami antics. I'm absolutely looking forward to that.
Oh, you don't know anything about it. Then I won't say anything. It's likely that the director will explore some of the history of the show and explain things as they go along which makes extraneous notes about this show a bit pointless.

I will say that the start of this first novel is different than the anime. I started reading it and noticed that it actually starts with an introdction unlike this first ep.
Shouta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 17:01   Link #86
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Heh, the third girl isn't confirmed yet. But probably will be.

It's sorta like Seto No Hanayome, it just screamed harem but the protagonist wasn't even aware of 2 of them.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 17:25   Link #87
Cyprene

HiHi!
Shinsen-Subs translator here. Since there seem to be some misconceptions about RM, I thought I should respond to a few things based upon my reading of the novels:
I don't think these are really spoilers, but eh. Just in case.
Spoiler for Information on General Series Structure:
Cyprene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 18:56   Link #88
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Nice info cyp...Made things alittle more clear without spoiling much which is always a nice thing.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-09, 22:18   Link #89
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Wow love this show (I'm getting both subs just so I have the excuse to watch it twice). The broom is great and I'm hoping for more out of the romance side (even though Cyp burst that bubble). Personally I think this magic show is much better then the other one that just came out, but as it has already been pointed out, its too soon to say.
Old 2007-10-09, 22:36   Link #90
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I do think the series will work out fine Have to agree the broom stalling was pretty funny as well. Does have that irony of having a powerful eye with that kind've ability yet didn't see getting nailed in the eye coming.

Feel it'll be a solid show and at least gave a better feeling than some of the series I've seen so far. But regardless have to be cautious not to give up on a good series too early. Some just take a bit to hit their stride.
Spoiler for Structure Comment:
Old 2007-10-09, 22:48   Link #91
Cyprene

I don't know of any similarities between KnS and Rental Magica in staff, budget, company, etc, though to be honest I haven't really looked. Both of them, however, are light novels with a similar format, a book or two of "serious" lengthy dramatic plots, followed by a book of random one-off short stories.
Cyprene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-10, 01:40   Link #92
outlaw97

For the gamers out there, am I the only one getting Shikigami no Shiro vibes? Character designs are similar, but the different types of magic/mysticism are also an easy transition for a danmaku/vertical shooter.

Not bad for a first ep though - I hope they elaborate further on the different magics, as it always makes for an entertaining culture clash. Plus, the lead seems to be voiced by the same person who did Kazuki in Busou Renkin, which is a plus in my book
outlaw97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-10, 04:13   Link #93
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

I enjoyed the first episode. It was pretty interesting and to see a rental agency with magicians out for rent. Thats a pretty cool idea.
Although, the whole theme kinda felt like D.Gray-man mixed with magical people. Itsuki's eye can see critical hit points in the enemies that they fight, although it looks like if he uses his "demon eye" he loses a lot of stamina and faints after use.
This show looks like it will become interesting...I'm going to follow this one for the fall anime line up.
Ultima_Rasengan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-11, 06:22   Link #94
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
The first thing that came to mind was VVV when I saw that eyepatch.
Old 2007-10-11, 07:15   Link #95
Slice of Life
eyewitness

The setup looks very similar to VVV after one ep (I've seen only two eps of VVV altogether so I don't really know where this was heading later on). Smells like case of the week, monster of the week, always resolved by the ultimate weapon[TM]. I expect them to break the routine though, maybe after about 4-5 of 13 or 8-10 of 26 epsiodes. I'm not sure if I will still be on board then though.
Old 2007-10-11, 10:17   Link #96
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Finally got around watching the first episode, and i have to say i felt it somewhat weak. Smells strongly like monster of the week stuff for the foreseeable future. That alone is not the worst thing, but i found the humor not very funny, and overall pretty boring. I don't see him realizing anytime soon the two (three>) girls like him either. Will give it a few more episodes (i think), but overall i am expecting to drop it pretty soon. Doesn't look like my kettle of fish.
Old 2007-10-11, 10:21   Link #97
zalem

It was a pretty bad first episode. I get the feeling this series is going to be super episodic. And it has harem vibes. Much as I love FukuJun's voice acting, I don't like his character so much. In fact, I really dislike him. Don't think I will continue with this one. Maybe I'll try one more episode but I have a feeling my gut instinct about it is right.
Old 2007-10-11, 10:23   Link #98
martino
makes no files now

Episode 1 thoughts ~

Spoiler:

Since I rarely drop something that I watch, I'll probably keep up with the rest. However if it deteriorates I probably won't think for too long about alternatives...
Old 2007-10-11, 19:16   Link #99
Nergy

Send a message via MSN to Nergy Send a message via Yahoo to Nergy
I'm quite liking this anime. Mixing all the sides of folk magic is interesting (and a good distraction from all the Shinto magic you see a lot in animes). What I am being cautious of is that evil eye that somehow makes him Super Special Awesome (Technical term). If it becomes one of those things they use at the last minute whenever things get too tough then that would give the shows credibility a bit of a dent.

Maybe if he loses his power halfway through the series and has to learn to be a good leader on his own, then that would be great.

As for this turning into a Monster of The Week anime. I think they might go into a different direction, like Zombie Loan did.

I'll give the series a few episodes to grow on me.
Nergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-12, 03:12   Link #100
evil-samurai

Just from one episodes this show has me Hooked! I really enjoyed it more than I thought. The characters were just appearing out of thin-air at the start

Music was Great, Animation was Good, Decent monster designs and the humor was done well, not too over the top and nothing Annoying. I cant find anything i didn't like about the show, Now if only it can keep the animation at this level..

And For some reason the after-credits section reminds me of Canvas 2. Which kicked but, and i just looked.. too, and... it must be because it has the same Director and Animation Studio behind it. So I guess that it will be a regular thing! Yea!
evil-samurai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, romance, shounen