Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-05-27, 21:35   Link #761
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Wait, is this even confirmed? This is the first time I ever heard about it.
Yea, that's what the 24hr online check is for, to verify that all the games installed in your system hasn't been sold yet.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-27, 21:51   Link #762
demino_hellsin
That one guy

After wtching address the sess, I think they forgot what console gming is all about.
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-27, 21:52   Link #763
cronnoponno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post

I don't see any actual points being made that giving Gamestop more money is doing the industry more benefits.
No one tried to make this, other than claim that used games can have benefits for companies(which they CAN), I don't see how you've come up with any good points yourself.

Let me bold it for you

SOMEONE BUYING A NEW GAME AT GAMESTOP DOES NOT GIVE ANY MONEY TO THE PUBLISHER AT ALL, GAMESTOP HAS ALREADY BOUGHT THAT NEW GAME FROM THE PRODUCERS AS THEY HAVE WITH EVERY OTHER NEW GAME THEY HAVE AND WHETHER OR NOT IT SELLS DOESN'T CHANGE THE FACT THAT THE PUBLISHER HAS OBTAINED MONEY FROM IT. HIGH AMOUNTS OF USED GAME SALES PRESSURES GAMESTOP TO RESTOCK(THAT MEANS BUY MORE) ON NEW INVENTORY TO INCREASE THE POOL OF PRE-OWNED, BY THE TIME PRE-OWNED HAS A STEADY SUPPLY OF PRODUCT, THE GAME IS OFTEN YEARS OLD AND RESTOCKING ON NEW TITLES WOULD BE IRRELEVANT AND ONLY SHOPPERS WHO WANT TO BUY PARTS OF A SAGA OR WANT TO BUY GAMES CASUALLY FOR A CHILD OR SUCH WILL BE BUYING THEM.

The damage used games do to the gaming industry is ludicrous, it does MINIMAL damage. Buying a new AAA title used is rare and almost pointless, saving 4$ on a game that was used by someone else is something people RARELY do, and acting like this has a noticeable impact on the gaming industry is even worse.

It's not some business killer, it doesn't put gaming companies out of business, it is far more complicated and there are far, FAR worse things that damage the game-industry, and targeting used games, one of the only things that actually DO benefit customers isn't fixing anything.

People are also ignoring that, people who trade in games aren't just limited to pre owned games, they often go for new as well. The ability to trade in games give people WITHOUT MONEY to buy new games as well.

Last edited by cronnoponno; 2013-05-27 at 22:04.
cronnoponno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-27, 22:54   Link #764
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronnoponno View Post
Let me bold it for you

Please don't.

THE SHOUTING IS SCARY.
Old 2013-05-27, 22:59   Link #765
cronnoponno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Please don't.

THE SHOUTING IS SCARY.

I didn't mean to imply shouting, it's just that I feel my post was ignored twice... so I am bolding it and capping it for emphasis.
Old 2013-05-27, 23:01   Link #766
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronnoponno View Post
I didn't mean to imply shouting, it's just that I feel my post was ignored twice... so I am bolding it and capping it for emphasis.
I think if you bold it in regular text and put it in a quote box, that will highlight that text without doing the all caps. The thing is, people tend to just skip over text in all caps.
Old 2013-05-27, 23:07   Link #767
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Or just use a different colour.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-27, 23:09   Link #768
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Your post just screams 'strawberries'.

And cronnoponno, your post just screams.
Old 2013-05-27, 23:12   Link #769
cronnoponno

Quote:
Your post just screams 'strawberries'.

And cronnoponno, your post just screams.

Perhaps I should make it screaming strawberries, that way it'll be like a fruit punch.
Old 2013-05-27, 23:26   Link #770
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Indeed. Smack the reader upside the head!
Old 2013-05-28, 04:09   Link #771
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
It's actually getting rather annoying how everyone is ignoring Nintendo. And as long as Microsoft/Sony keep their servers going, companies can continue to develop for the 360 and PS3 too.
There is some stuff going around that EA stopped their support, because the WiiU/3DS doesn't have a native DRM feature, for retail games, and have opt for an open system, where publisher can decide if want to implement one by their own account, see Uplay, Origin aso. Of course this means that publishers have to themselves managed their own systems, which adds costs, and have to answer to consumers directly, if shit hits the fan.
And here is the thing, if sony does promote native DRM features, all western publishers will stop putting, at least, retail version of games on nintendo consoles. Eshop versions on the other hand does have a DRM like thing going on, as all titles are machine bond.
So depending how Sony act either Nintendo or MS could be in trouble.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-28, 06:20   Link #772
kyp275
Meh

Here's a good piece of article to read about the whole ups and downs of used game sales and just generally about MS's policy and the arguments of those that supports it:

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Pen...ees-56140.html

Quote:
Now it's time to tear down the misinformation like the Berlin Wall. According to digital and retail trends, digital game consumption had risen to $10 billion in 2012, while (gasp) used game sales have dipped by 17.1% in 2012. Year over year, the used game market from retail sales are dropping. Let me repeat that, there has been a 17.1% drop in used game sales and a surge in digital media consumption. If you still don't believe the numbers and refuse to follow market trends, even Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst Michael Pachter buried the rumors of used games killing the retail market when he pointed out that, at max, there is an approximate 5% cannibalization rate of used games on the new games market. And as the final nail in the coffin, Inside Gaming Daily reported that 70% of Gamestop's used game trade-ins go toward new game purchases, effectively fueling new game sales that directly resonates as revenue for publishers.
This is worth a read as well:

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Top...try-40569.html
Old 2013-05-28, 07:12   Link #773
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
There is some stuff going around that EA stopped their support, because the WiiU/3DS doesn't have a native DRM feature, for retail games, and have opt for an open system, where publisher can decide if want to implement one by their own account, see Uplay, Origin aso. Of course this means that publishers have to themselves managed their own systems, which adds costs, and have to answer to consumers directly, if shit hits the fan.
And here is the thing, if sony does promote native DRM features, all western publishers will stop putting, at least, retail version of games on nintendo consoles. Eshop versions on the other hand does have a DRM like thing going on, as all titles are machine bond.
So depending how Sony act either Nintendo or MS could be in trouble.
Before Wii U released, EA was buddies with Nintendo, but then things went sour. What I hear is that EA tried to get Origin on Wii U but then Nintendo decided against it and so EA is being a pissy baby.
Old 2013-05-28, 08:04   Link #774
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I don't know about buddies, but this thing with Nintendo saying no to their bullshit origins is why they're not developing games for their consoles.

I believe they had pulled Crysis 3 from the Wii U because of it as well.
Old 2013-05-28, 09:48   Link #775
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Wow, thats super vague.
Old 2013-05-28, 09:54   Link #776
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Wow, thats super vague.
more like, blockbuster is still around!?

I also get this funny feeling that blockbuster probably don't have much of a record to begin with. Now if a major retailer reports the same thing, then that'd be different (at least those tend to have solid numbers).
Old 2013-05-28, 11:51   Link #777
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

You never know how PR could spin things and present the info to gaming sites. Record pre-orders with the XBO might just mean something like "record pre-orders of a Microsoft game console for the UK division of Blockbuster". I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case. Lawl
Old 2013-05-28, 12:15   Link #778
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
You never know how PR could spin things and present the info to gaming sites. Record pre-orders with the XBO might just mean something like "record pre-orders of a Microsoft game console for the UK division of Blockbuster". I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case. Lawl
My impression of the article was that it IS from the UK division of blockbuster.
Old 2013-05-28, 12:59   Link #779
defki

It is Blockbuster UK.

The bigger surprise should be that they are still alive.
defki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-28, 13:05   Link #780
Eragon
Still Alive

So, does MS think that screwing around with gamers is fun or that its the only company in the market in the console market?

I mean always online for almost anything to work? What the fuck?