AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-08-09, 20:00   Link #281
Puzzle_XD

Well Anime is DEFINITELY no lonely hobby, if it was then you wouldn't have hundreds attending a convention now would we?
Puzzle_XD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-09, 20:46   Link #282
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzle_XD View Post
Well Anime is DEFINITELY no lonely hobby, if it was then you wouldn't have hundreds attending a convention now would we?
You can most definitely make it a lonely hobby. It is just you watching TV shows after all. There are no requirements that you need to go to conventions, make anime-watching friends, join clubs, or even post and read opinions online. You just need to...watch, and presumably enjoy.

This is compared to other geeky hobbies like, say, playing multiplayer videogames or tabletop gaming, where you actually have to play with other people. Anime is inherently more introverted, though that doesn't stop people from trying to make it social either. Lots of people do; good for them, and you as well.

Just don't invite me to screenings. Or clubs. Or conventions. Or make friends with me at all I guess.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 04:14   Link #283
goddesskimshee
jae'swaifu

not for me! i am just getting into anime and i am not lonely i have tons of friends! i don't like watching tv shows or anyhthing like that i like family guy but they make episodes once in a blue moon so i watch anime!! is fun!

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2012-08-12 at 04:39.
goddesskimshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-12, 08:16   Link #284
jdennis007

Anime is like any other hobby, it is as lonely as you make it to be.
jdennis007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-13, 06:21   Link #285
Irisu
フフリ

If by "lonely" means having no other people to talk about it in real life, then it is indeed the case for me.

Probably because I always avoid the likes of "anime club" and conventions.
Irisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-13, 20:21   Link #286
stormtrooper

You can make it as lonely as it can be. Watching anime doesn't stop you from going to conventions and be social about it.

Of course people have different tastes when it comes to anime so it would still depend on the people you meet. It isn't as lonely like you think it is.
stormtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 02:46   Link #287
leokiko

Like many already said, it depends on you.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 21:02   Link #288
Jmac
Sharing my world thru art
*Artist

It doesn't have to be. You have branch and find liked minded people like you. I was surprise that there so many people at my work that watch anime. Granted its popular shows like DBZ and the like, but at least I'm not alone. And slowly I'm getting my wife into anime. She really loves Crayon Shin-chan LOL
Old 2012-08-16, 08:51   Link #289
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

Ehhh it can be pretty lonely sometimes, I like in Oklahoma, and we only have like 2 mid-sized cons here sooo..... yeah depending on your location and attitude it can be pretty goddamn lonely sometimes.
ttdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-16, 11:35   Link #290
LaniGuy
In the Penalty Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeirin View Post
If by "lonely" means having no other people to talk about it in real life, then it is indeed the case for me.

Probably because I always avoid the likes of "anime club" and conventions.
I agree with this, I find most of the people who like anime around me are way to eccentric. I'm a pretty normal guy, a jock actually, who loves anime, so I don't talk about it much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leokiko View Post
Like many already said, it depends on you.
But I agree with this, all of my friends know I like it and don't think much about it. Despite that though, this forum is perfect for chatting about what's on our mind about what we watch!
LaniGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-17, 01:14   Link #291
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzle_XD View Post
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdennis007 View Post
Anime is like any other hobby, it is as lonely as you make it to be.
and this.
Old 2012-08-17, 11:28   Link #292
kazzuya13

I don't know about "being lonely" cause I'm a Clotaku (Closet Otaku). Cause I think my friends would think I'm weird considering I'm already 23 and still watch anime.
kazzuya13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 21:19   Link #293
Digital

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazzuya13 View Post
I don't know about "being lonely" cause I'm a Clotaku (Closet Otaku). Cause I think my friends would think I'm weird considering I'm already 23 and still watch anime.
I suppose it all depends on how you explain it. I've been watching anime for longer than you've been alive (!) and my friends don't think I'm weird. It can be a lifelong passion if you let it, particularly since there are always new shows coming out. Sure, a lot of them are all about fan service, but there are just as many that take a more serious approach. In my mind, it's no different than someone who's still into comic books well into their life.

I think back when I got into the hobby, it was a bit lonelier than it is now. Anime clubs - if they existed - were fairly small. Anime conventions of 200-300 people were huge, and very few people even understood what it was. Now we have huge conventions and I rarely run into anyone who doesn't know what it is, even if they've never seen it. Just remember - all the geek culture that we see now at ComicCon and other venues was all underground 20-30 years ago. The Internet has really allowed fans of many genres to come together more readily.
Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 21:22   Link #294
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
It becomes lonely when your own tastes diverges from your family's and rl friends'. I am one of the opinion that hobbies are more enjoyable if shared.
Old 2012-09-21, 23:00   Link #295
stormtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital View Post
I suppose it all depends on how you explain it. I've been watching anime for longer than you've been alive (!) and my friends don't think I'm weird. It can be a lifelong passion if you let it, particularly since there are always new shows coming out. Sure, a lot of them are all about fan service, but there are just as many that take a more serious approach. In my mind, it's no different than someone who's still into comic books well into their life.

I think back when I got into the hobby, it was a bit lonelier than it is now. Anime clubs - if they existed - were fairly small. Anime conventions of 200-300 people were huge, and very few people even understood what it was. Now we have huge conventions and I rarely run into anyone who doesn't know what it is, even if they've never seen it. Just remember - all the geek culture that we see now at ComicCon and other venues was all underground 20-30 years ago. The Internet has really allowed fans of many genres to come together more readily.
So that's how it was back then. I didn't know anime conventions until say 10 years ago. I guess it isn't lonely now that more people are recognizing anime because of internet mostly.
stormtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-22, 00:49   Link #296
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

As an extreme example, I'm pretty open about my various "eclectic" hobbies which includes most of japanese popular culture (anime/manga/music/etc). Usually, I just get a blank look. But I also know a fair amount of Japanese language and am married to a Japanese-American so some of them assume its just part of that.