AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Gundam 00 Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 127 31.67%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 152 37.91%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 65 16.21%
7 out of 10 : Good 33 8.23%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 1.75%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 7 1.75%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 3 0.75%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 0.50%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 1.25%
Voters: 401. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-04-05, 19:56   Link #41
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Though I agree, the backstories of the plot-relevant non-Meisters really do need to be expanded upon.
That why we have sidestories such as OOP, OOF and OOV. All part of the franchise, really.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-05, 19:58   Link #42
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
That why we have sidestories such as OOP, OOF and OOV. All part of the franchise, really.
True... But wouldn't it be better if characters that are actually relevant to the plot of the anime can get a little bit more exposure in the anime itself?
Old 2008-04-05, 20:00   Link #43
Var
Banned

Quote:
True... But wouldn't it be better if characters that are actually relevant to the plot of the anime can get a little bit more exposure in the anime itself?
I, personally, expect more building of certain characters in the second season when they don't have to use ~13 episodes to build the world in which the story takes place.
Var is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-05, 20:05   Link #44
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Var View Post
I, personally, expect more building of certain characters in the second season when they don't have to use ~13 episodes to build the world in which the story takes place.
I agree. Unless, of course, they choose to use another 13 episodes to build the newer world which the story takes place...

Seriously though, the second season can go multiple ways... 1) Develop existing characters, unravel the first season's mysteries and opened plots, or 2) Go into an entirely new plot, introduce tons of new and shallow characters, adding more plot devices without explaining the old ones, or 3) a combination of the two...

Based on Kuroda's history, I really see either of the first two happening. Hopefully it turns out as you expect.
Old 2008-04-05, 20:07   Link #45
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL

Quote:
She's not a star in the show business sense, but a celebrity of upper class heritage... And not everyone recognizes every celebrity from every single country out there, you know.
She's supposed to be an international celebrity, though, and Saji's already connected to the media through his sister. If any "average joe" should have recognized her, it should have been him.
Quote:

Though I agree, the backstories of the plot-relevant non-Meisters really do need to be expanded upon.
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 00 sidestories focus on entirely new characters, not expounding on the histories of the main characters.
Dean_the_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-05, 20:07   Link #46
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
I believe we all know the business model of Bandai well enough from SEED. For those not in the know, there's the upcoming novel which might expand the worldview of 00.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_the_Young View Post
She's supposed to be an international celebrity, though, and Saji's already connected to the media through his sister. If any "average joe" should have recognized her, it should have been him.
According to the novel, she's descended from nobility. Might I ask you do you know all the relatives of say, Prince William of Britian apart from his brother, parents and grandparents ?

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 00 sidestories focus on entirely new characters, not expounding on the histories of the main characters.
They could start another sidestory that explain backstories and not necessary squeeze everything into the current 3.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-05, 20:34   Link #47
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Nowhere does it say that. Most of her profiles say that she's indeed a celebrity, and that she is well acquainted with well-to-do people all over the world. That does not make her an international celebrity.

Plus its pretty evident from the show that Saji doesn't pay close attention to what his sister reports...

Quote:
I believe we all know the business model of Bandai well enough from SEED. For those not in the know, there's the upcoming novel which might expand the worldview of 00.
I've got no issues with them expanding the world through sidestories. What I do have an issue with is the sidestories filling up the anime's plotholes and answering major question marks... (and this applies to CE too). That sort of stuff should be self-contained within the anime.

Quote:
Didn't a baby Feldt supposedly show up in one of the stories (in 00F's flashback or something)? Just something I heard. Haven't been keeping up with those.

And judging from Astray, some of the minor characters in the anime should get major roles in the sidestories too.
Old 2008-04-06, 04:38   Link #48
Terra

Quote:
I've got no issues with them expanding the world through sidestories. What I do have an issue with is the sidestories filling up the anime's plotholes and answering major question marks... (and this applies to CE too). That sort of stuff should be self-contained within the anime.
I agree with that. It's bad planning and writing if you need sidestorys to give background on major anime characters. Sidestorys are to expand on the world and to give other views on it. Not to act as plot hole fillers from the anime that they forgot to put in. Not everyone reads them. So they need everything relevent to the anime in the anime.

I don't see them taking many eps to explain the new world set up in the second season. We know the world now, so it'd only take an ep or 2 to explain the changes. It's not like it's been turned totally on it's head. It's just taken a combined status since the end of the first season. A combination that started in the first season.
Old 2008-04-06, 15:08   Link #49
astranagun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
I agree with that. It's bad planning and writing if you need sidestorys to give background on major anime characters. Sidestorys are to expand on the world and to give other views on it. Not to act as plot hole fillers from the anime that they forgot to put in. Not everyone reads them. So they need everything relevent to the anime in the anime.

I don't see them taking many eps to explain the new world set up in the second season. We know the world now, so it'd only take an ep or 2 to explain the changes. It's not like it's been turned totally on it's head. It's just taken a combined status since the end of the first season. A combination that started in the first season.
I don't think it's bad writing if you have them already planned from the beginnings because if it was so, for example, .hack would have very bad writing with all the sidestories, novels and anime that add to the games.
astranagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-06, 15:26   Link #50
Terra

But that was announced from the start it was going to be that way. As far as I know nothing like that has been said about G00. Plus it works for .hack. The entire .hack franchise was built around it. Gundam isn't. And changing it to something like that wouldn't be a good idea.
Old 2008-04-06, 15:45   Link #51
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
But that was announced from the start it was going to be that way. As far as I know nothing like that has been said about G00. Plus it works for .hack. The entire .hack franchise was built around it. Gundam isn't. And changing it to something like that wouldn't be a good idea.
Gundam has always been that way. Why do you think there is so much supplementary material for the UC universe? Gaps about Char and Amuro's life are still being filled to this day. Nearly all the "facts" about UC Gundam weren't ironed out in the first series until later.
Old 2008-04-06, 16:33   Link #52
Terra

But did the series that aired feel like they were missing major explainations about important characters?
Old 2008-04-06, 22:18   Link #53
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Don't forget. This series was planned to be split into two series from the its conception. They would be foolish to explain everything in the first half and leave out the second.
SeedFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-06, 23:41   Link #54
Jays

Let's keep this short and simple:

What I liked:
- The characters themselves were the most interesting thing, it was nice to see someone whom you could like that was human, and not some freak god. It was really down to earth in the sence that no one got a too powerful for their own good.
- The setting was great, I felt that it also helped to keep the show relevant, and didn't make it become some far off crazy world.
- The production qualities, such as animation, sound/music, and voice acting was superb.
- The story was fresh.

What stunk:
- Not enough background added to some characters that died, and others that remain living, although I suppose some of what will be covered in Season Two.
- Saji and Louise.

If I had to score it:
- +3 points for interesting characters.
- +2 points for the relevant setting.
- +3 points for the strong production values.
- +2 points for the fresh story.
- -1 point for not fleshing out some characters.
- 0 points for Saji and Louise, they just annoy me thats all.

9/10 Superb series.
Jays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 00:05   Link #55
IHaveCrayons

Really, really slow at the beginning. Finally picked up at the end, back to the Gundam we know and love.
IHaveCrayons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 00:24   Link #56
finalnight
Supreme Commander

Character Animation Quality: 6 (+1 for HD)=7
Mecha Animation Quality: 7 (+2 for HD)=9
Voice Actors: 7
Script: 7
Editing: 8

Avg=7.6->8 on vote
finalnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 03:01   Link #57
Astrana
MMmmmm Bacon~~~

Quote:
But did the series that aired feel like they were missing major explainations about important characters?
They did not explain details about character back ground because Half of them died in the end.

00 is a bit different than other gundams, really fresh at the beginning. then the whole character appaearing then dying thing geto realy annoying, to me character developement and the interaction between them is very important. And I never got the whole Saji thing, hpe they are buidling something for he second season.

seems like first season is pretty much show setting + explanation + build hype for season 2. like seriously, the show is called Gundam 00, and the "Gundam 00" only appareard in the end of the season for like 4 seconds

Last edited by Astrana; 2008-04-07 at 03:02. Reason: grama and spelling
Astrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 04:39   Link #58
Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrana View Post
They did not explain details about character back ground because Half of them died in the end.

00 is a bit different than other gundams, really fresh at the beginning. then the whole character appaearing then dying thing geto realy annoying, to me character developement and the interaction between them is very important. And I never got the whole Saji thing, hpe they are buidling something for he second season.

seems like first season is pretty much show setting + explanation + build hype for season 2. like seriously, the show is called Gundam 00, and the "Gundam 00" only appareard in the end of the season for like 4 seconds
I feel the show has been set up that way as well. First season was to establish the world and most of the main characters to a point. But not to give us everything about those characters. Even Lockon wasn't fully done, but he does have a brother that can help fill in the gaps there.

Explanation though isn't really something done in S1. That'll really come with S2. S1 was more about the giving us the questions. This is why the first half of G00 doesn't bother me. I was loving the series from ep 1, and they've built up a world that I can see continuing onwards with new stories even after this one has been told. We know the world and how it works. When S2 starts we'll need very little time spent on getting us up to date on what's changed in the world since we did see the start of those changes in S1.

As for Saji and Louise, apart from that really daft part with Louise's mother, I didn't mind them. There's obiously more for those 2 to do yet. And I hope it doesn't involve military, at least on Saji's front anyway. They kept him away from that for a reason. If they wanted him there they would have had him join in the 4 year gap. Besides, we have enough pilots on the ESF front anyway. Saji would be out of place.
Old 2008-04-07, 10:19   Link #59
Goeckeritz

Great!

Animation: 10/10
Plot: 8/10
Characters: 9/10
Battles: 9/10
Overall: 9/10

Has anybody considered that 00 is a prelude to the original MSG? Colonies are just being built along the orbital elevators; the world has moved away from fossil fuels (in MSG they used nuclear power, which could be a replacement for solar); the Earth has become united and renamed "Earth Federation" (that is a big give away right there); Gundam 00 appears and shares similarities to RX 78 (although in MSG RX 78 was made by the feds); the Alejandro's organization could be an ancestor of the Zeon rebels; Lastly, although they haven't mentioned it yet, the year might be changed later to UC 00"00" where the name for the series might originate.

I don't know, I just figured this was the case because the A.D. calendar was still being used and "00" was the title.
Goeckeritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 11:55   Link #60
Wesley84

Quote:
I feel the show has been set up that way as well. First season was to establish the world and most of the main characters to a point. But not to give us everything about those characters. Even Lockon wasn't fully done, but he does have a brother that can help fill in the gaps there.

Explanation though isn't really something done in S1. That'll really come with S2. S1 was more about the giving us the questions. This is why the first half of G00 doesn't bother me. I was loving the series from ep 1, and they've built up a world that I can see continuing onwards with new stories even after this one has been told. We know the world and how it works. When S2 starts we'll need very little time spent on getting us up to date on what's changed in the world since we did see the start of those changes in S1.

As for Saji and Louise, apart from that really daft part with Louise's mother, I didn't mind them. There's obiously more for those 2 to do yet. And I hope it doesn't involve military, at least on Saji's front anyway. They kept him away from that for a reason. If they wanted him there they would have had him join in the 4 year gap. Besides, we have enough pilots on the ESF front anyway. Saji would be out of place.
I'm curious as to what will actually be relevant from the first season, carrying on into the second. Something tells me the first season could easily have been compressed into 13 episodes, going on 40 without a seasonal break and without missing out on anything relevant. So much time was wasted on repeating things, with very little actual change in perspective, along with very slow or non-existent character developement.

Maybe the special edition DVDs will make the first season actually worth watching? Assuming they'll be released.
Wesley84 is offline   Reply With Quote