AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

Old 2010-10-04, 21:09   Link #1121
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

Well, after watching the movie, I felt that this definately should've been a 12 episode anime instead of one movie. Or at least, 2 movies instead of one. They rushed waaay to many things, trying to put unreasonable amount of material in just two hours. . As for the OST, it wasn't bad, but it also wasn't like very impressive or anything. The best part, of course, was the Archer vs Shirou scene with *that* OST on the backgroud.

Either way, I guess I should be glad that I got to see more of FSN animated. Wonder if they will do the last arc as well.. though I didn't like the last part as much as the first two.
Old 2010-10-04, 21:27   Link #1122
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

this movie had some of the worst pacing i've ever seen. having never played the game, but loved the anime, i found it to be okay. the animation was top notch.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 00:00   Link #1123
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nochgo View Post
Well, after watching the movie, I felt that this definately should've been a 12 episode anime instead of one movie. Or at least, 2 movies instead of one.
Bingo.

Two instead one would be perfect, the caster part is good "checkpoint"

Shame we only get this, still must grateful though.
Old 2010-10-05, 01:58   Link #1124
iceyfw

whoever directed this movie made it a total mess. any person who has never read through rins routes will have trouble connecting the scenes together. if i had not read the route beforehand, point A to point D would not absolutely make sense to me except to fill in the holes with my imagination. the only thing great about this movie was the animation and some of the action scenes.

i am guessing the audience they aimed this movie at are people who have read and completed the FSN novel prior to watching this. it was a total letdown thinking since it is a movie, they would at least fix everything the TV anime adaption had screwed up on. oh, well. time to wait for the next break blade movie to come out.
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 02:14   Link #1125
Aqua Knight

Yeah in Rider's part they were just mindlessly running around first out f school then inside the school. Rin was like " shoot gandr here , run shoot there".
Aqua Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 04:35   Link #1126
0rphen21
^.^

fight scenes were awesome but the story line it self felt disjointed especially if you have not watched the series nor played the game my best advice is to watch the series or play the game first before watching this

just a quick question for anyone who has played the game
Spoiler:
Old 2010-10-05, 05:15   Link #1127
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

As someone who played the original game on all three storylines, I stopped halfway through the movie after realizing I was watching a completely mangled and dessicated version of UBW, and that's not enough for me because I liked this path more than I even did Fate, and I was willing to accept DEEN's version of the Fate route, but UBW just got massacred here. Good Lord.

Goddammit DEEN.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 08:15   Link #1128
Darkside

Send a message via AIM to Darkside
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rphen21 View Post
fight scenes were awesome but the story line it self felt disjointed especially if you have not watched the series nor played the game my best advice is to watch the series or play the game first before watching this

just a quick question for anyone who has played the game
Spoiler:
Yes that is when it happens.
Old 2010-10-05, 08:50   Link #1129
Yuno
Balanced Diet

Mixed feelings is all I can say... I liked the UBWs path the best of the possible story lines and my mind kept going "wait... Wait a sec" and disrupting my ability to watch it. I then paused it, seperated what I knew from the movie and pretended like it was just seeing the characters again doing things a little different. I wish they would have extended it made it into two parts because UBWs is a great story line and I feel like they gutted it and rearranged things to fit... not even sure what.

With that being said I enjoyed the action scenes quite a bit and seeing the characters animated once more was a bit of a treate. It also restored my liking of Lancer. He was extremely cool, and I find it odd that I would let him slip from my "favourite characters" list. The soundtrack was also quite good and fit the scenes very well. I downloaded the soundtrack almost immediately after the movie and am quite happy with that.

But dear me... what were they thinking? I would gladly sit for additional hours, minutes, anything to get the whole UBW storyline animated... no need to rush or gouge!
Yuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 09:17   Link #1130
kakakka

Never expected that the story would be handled ok, so no surprise there.

The action is ok, considering they are moving fast (lol). Never cared about the details on UBW novel fighting scenes, so I wasn't bothered about how they did these in the movie.

The most terrible scene for me is the scene between the church meeting and Saber vs. Berserker fight. The animation is static(?), the view is horrible, and nothing is happening much around there; and this interaction happened in a bit long time line.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 11:48   Link #1131
Cherry_Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Finally, I dread the possibility of Heaven's Feel being animated into anything except an OVA; not only for duration, but primarily because cutting out sex will make it incorpehensible.
Well, Realta Nua cut out the sex (and all the references to rape), and it still worked to some extent (although IMO it does indeed make less sense). But, yeah, a shortened version of HF would be a disaster, because it would make it impossible for people to understand Sakura's character at all. I mean, enough people who have played the VN fail to understand her....

Quote:
Then again, it is highly unlikely that this will ever happen, since Sakura is not popular, and the route is pretty dark.
I'm not so sure, actually. Sakura is less unpopular than you might think, and people will watch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
this movie had some of the worst pacing i've ever seen. having never played the game, but loved the anime, i found it to be okay. the animation was top notch.
It's quite clear to me (from having talked to someone who has played the game and then watched it) that the film is clearly aimed at such people. It skips so many important scenes (for instance, it skips the scene in which Fate and UBW seperate) that it was never going to make sense to someone who has only seen the anime.
Cherry_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 14:06   Link #1132
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry_Lover View Post
Well, Realta Nua cut out the sex (and all the references to rape), and it still worked to some extent (although IMO it does indeed make less sense). But, yeah, a shortened version of HF would be a disaster, because it would make it impossible for people to understand Sakura's character at all. I mean, enough people who have played the VN fail to understand her....
Shortening any of the routes is a disaster, as was the case here. I think it would be hard to believe than anyone who didn't play the VN could truly understand Archer, Shirou, and even characters like Gilgamesh in this movie.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 14:41   Link #1133
nchan

I only saw the anime. So what I learn at the end of UBW is kind of shocking. I didn't expect Archer is(spoiler)......

Shirou

Is Shirou really is Archer in Fate/Night? Or is it in this route, Shirou is Archer, but in another route, he is not? damn, I need to play the game. lol.
nchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 15:05   Link #1134
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Archer is Emiya Shirou regardless which route you are following, although his role is very different depending of the route.
It is hinted that Archer is the Emiya Shirou from an inexistent "Illya's route".
Old 2010-10-05, 15:12   Link #1135
mAc Chaos
King of Heroes

If you go back and watch the anime, you'll notice a lot of hints... they have the same eye color... they have the same unique power... Shirou was in the archery club... they both had Rin's jewel... Archer knew exactly what advice to give to Shirou to let him access his full powers, and so on. He did become a hero, after all.

Go back and see for yourself. There's lots of things I picked up that I didn't notice the first time I saw the anime.
mAc Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 15:31   Link #1136
Cherry_Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchan View Post
I only saw the anime. So what I learn at the end of UBW is kind of shocking. I didn't expect Archer is(spoiler)......
Hmm, you know this board has spoiler-tags, right...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
It is hinted that Archer is the Emiya Shirou from an inexistent "Illya's route".
Actually, this is not true. Archer is known to have cared deeply for Ilya, and her death (which canonically will happen a year or so after the war, no matter what) was a big trigger for him following his ideals, but it seems like he comes from a route that is rather similar to Fate, only where he never managed to 'save' Saber. The Ilya route would likely end with her either being finally saved, or dying. Also, the Ilya route would likely be similarish to HF, and thus is highly unlikely to be Archer's past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
If you go back and watch the anime, you'll notice a lot of hints... they have the same eye color... they have the same unique power... Shirou was in the archery club... they both had Rin's jewel... Archer knew exactly what advice to give to Shirou to let him access his full powers, and so on. He did become a hero, after all.
Well, FSN in general is very good at that (Rin's relationship to Sakura is particularly well foreshadowed). But, the anime actually contains enough info to determine Shirou's relationship to Archer if you're observant, and you're supposed to work it out.
Old 2010-10-05, 16:01   Link #1137
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Aye, I'm an hour in and have to take a break from this. It of course was impossible to fit all the content in such a short time span, but even considering that, this is pretty subpar. Worst scene transitions known to man and there is no effort at a narrative whatsoever to make the plot coherent. Yes, it is quite a daunting task but I just get the feeling they didn't try. I was also expecting a bit more to the fights, but whatever, it's not that bad in that area. At least Rin and Saber are nice to look at.

I will get back when I finish.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 16:05   Link #1138
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Oh God guys, I haven't even watched this yet and now you've all made me dread it.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-05, 16:08   Link #1139
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry_Lover View Post
Actually, this is not true. Archer is known to have cared deeply for Ilya, and her death (which canonically will happen a year or so after the war, no matter what) was a big trigger for him following his ideals, but it seems like he comes from a route that is rather similar to Fate, only where he never managed to 'save' Saber. The Ilya route would likely end with her either being finally saved, or dying. Also, the Ilya route would likely be similarish to HF, and thus is highly unlikely to be Archer's past.
I actually know about Archer and Ilya, considering the few instances here and there (which was also hinted in the anime, if I recall correctly).
Although I'm unsure if Saber could be saved should there was any Ilya's route to be honest.
That said, for some reason, I was expecting Iliya's route sort of similar to the fate route, but I guess it has been ages I didn't read F/SN in general.

Will probably watch the movie a second time for the lulz, but for some reason, a lot of inconsistencies emerged even more when I was thinking about it (and this is from someone who barely read the VN twice at most )
Old 2010-10-05, 17:13   Link #1140
Cherry_Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I actually know about Archer and Ilya, considering the few instances here and there (which was also hinted in the anime, if I recall correctly).
Probably. I've only ever played the game, though (except for watching a few scenes of the anime), so I'm not sure. It's clear that he cares a lot for her, but that doesn't mean that he's from an Ilya route. Fate Shirou would care a lot for her too. Most likely Archer is from a route much like Fate, probably where he was not as close to Saber.

Quote:
Although I'm unsure if Saber could be saved should there was any Ilya's route to be honest.
Erm, I meant Ilya would be (as opposed to in Fate, where she dies a year later).

Quote:
That said, for some reason, I was expecting Iliya's route sort of similar to the fate route, but I guess it has been ages I didn't read F/SN in general.
Well, the Ilya route was originally meant to branch off from HF (and I believe a lot of the HF plot (in particular the stuff to do with Angra Mainyu and the explanation of the true purpose of the Grail War) was originally supposed to be in there), so it wouldn't have been much like Fate.