AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2015-02-04, 19:06   Link #1
Dwalin

Anime in omnibus format

What do you think about omnibus format in anime (especially in romance stories)?
I honestly liked the idea in Amagami and Photo Kano, because in that way there are alternative universes and every fan can choose his/her own one, and there are no wars about this or that character who allegedly should have won the right to stay with the main character. Everybody can choose the arc where the girl the viewer wants to end up with the main character, DOES actually end up with the main character, and the other arcs can just be ignored or considered not being part of the "personal canon" because every arc is organized in such a way as if the other arcs didn't happen. So everyone is happy with their own ending and no flaming fan wars.

So I am kind of surprised and disappointed the omnibus format didn't become more popular and used in more anime series. I thought it was a good solution to satisfy all fans of a series, not just a part.

What do you think?
Dwalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-05, 06:25   Link #2
Arya

I don't like it for various reasons.
The first is that it shorts down the stories of each arc with the easy outcome to have each story packed and/or rushed taking out from it the impact of the climax moments because to close one to the other. Instead Having them scattered along the full length of a cour gives the viewer the due time of "wait" to appreciate/enjoy each of them at their best.
I can't if everything happens in 20 minutes. I forgot about it 20 minutes later.

Second obvious reason, this format excludes completely any doubt about the outcome. It's like watching a recorded sport match knowing already the score, having one team ruling over the others all the time. It removes the unpredictable factor from the storytelling that for me is a major factor, in romance stories, to enjoy the narrative itself, despite the outcome.

These couple of reasons together have as consequence imbalance characterizations and imbalance of interactions, that actually lead to damage the writing as a whole.

It also removes the bit of animosity you could find between the viewers that despite it can easily degenerate at times, it can give you different views and interpretations that despite you may like or not, they may be right. It could help going deeper into the characters and the story if they are good enough.

For why is not popular my bet is that is the least profitable format since viewers will buy only the arc of their favorite girl.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-05, 08:53   Link #3
Dwalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
Second obvious reason, this format excludes completely any doubt about the outcome. It's like watching a recorded sport match knowing already the score, having one team ruling over the others all the time. It removes the unpredictable factor from the storytelling that for me is a major factor, in romance stories, to enjoy the narrative itself, despite the outcome.
But the romance genre isn't like the detective one, where the main factor is failing to guess the right outcome and to have an unexpected surprise at the end. Maybe I am wrong, but I always thought that in romance you choose a specific girl to root for, and having an arc that guarantees her victory saves a lot of annoyance.
Dwalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-05, 18:32   Link #4
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
It is a viable approach, but I find by going every possible way tends to have a wishy-washy apperance for the show, meaning it'll do a bit of everything... and runs the chance of accomplishing nothing. Basically, I get the feeling (especially in romantic series) that romantic resolution is ultimately disposable.

Yosuga no Sora was a pretty decent attempt at it because all the separate bits were not just haphazardly put together but done in a way to assemble the story together by revealing a different perspective. Of course, whether or people were paying attention to this is another story.

It also avoids pitfall of the "unified" mechanism of having to have all events adapted by consistent with each other, and there are usually complaints of watering down said parts, etc, etc as well as the troubles of a unpleasable fanbase.

It certainly has its advantages, but honestly I can't say I'm a fan of it.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-05, 19:05   Link #5
Darthtabby

The format does have one thing I consider a big advantage: even though it may still have a whole bunch of girls going after one guy, they're at least not all doing it at the same time. Rather than constantly competing with each other each girl gets a chance to shine as the main focus for a few episodes.

The format can lead to large variations between different arcs though. If the girl who is the focus of the arc is awesome, the arc will probably be awesome, but if she's a lame character, then the whole arc will probably be lame.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-05, 19:35   Link #6
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
If the girl who is the focus of the arc is awesome, the arc will probably be awesome, but if she's a lame character, then the whole arc will probably be lame.
Hm, I've only seen two omnibus shows:

Yosuga no Sora was great. The show told a coherent story, actually, occasionally rewiding the story to a branching point and replaying a different outcome. The result is still unique in anime (though fairly common in games). Basically, the arcs shed light on each other, and felt much less "arcy" than many shounen shows.

Amagami SS did have both great arcs and awful arcs, but, surprisingly, it didn't depend on the girls, for me. My listing of favourite arcs and favourite girls diverge widely. Interesting, no?
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-06, 04:14   Link #7
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalin View Post
But the romance genre isn't like the detective one, where the main factor is failing to guess the right outcome and to have an unexpected surprise at the end. Maybe I am wrong, but I always thought that in romance you choose a specific girl to root for, and having an arc that guarantees her victory saves a lot of annoyance.
That's a very subjective matter, so there's not a right or wrong approach obviously. If I have to say what you are saying is the concept in a nutshell, but it may vary a lot depending on the genre, the target, the format and such.

Personally I prefer a more complex, less straight, approach because it could induce in the viewer a wider range of emotions (also annoyances), making the whole experience more compelling and engaging. Approach that is more difficult to reach with an omnibus format for the reasons I gave you earlier.

As Dawnstorm I have seen only those two shows IIRC and about Amagami SS I just remember the girls I liked so, the first and the last, the cutest and the awkward/weird one. But I totally forgot about any interaction.
Speaking of Yosuga no Sora, that was actually a very good show, first thing I remember is the atmosphere. It was able to set up a very fitting mood for the story. Adding to this the unique storytelling that differs from a more clear-cut omnibus format.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-16, 13:50   Link #8
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I think it's a great approach and think it's a shame it isn't used more often.

I feel the positives outweigh the possible negatives. People can leave with less disappointment because a character they like does end up happy in their own separate universe. You get more focus on those relationships even if it's in short bursts, because you don't have to somehow keep the lead getting points with all these girls and yet not realizing his situation. Can have two characters actually become interested in each other a bit more freely.

Of course different shows have different methods. If you have a tight love triangle series that's not as big a deal because that's part of the charm.

Also feel a lot of time there isn't that much mystery to a romance series. Often (though certainly not always) you can spot the main girl and know those other girls won't get that much attention since they aren't coming out on top at the end of the day.

I agree with one thing I heard on the format in that it does show how life can really diversify. Maybe you want there to be a fated pairing it's not a positive, but if you like to see the various twists that life can go down depending on different circumstances it's a positive.

I think it's a format that when done right can be really enjoyable. Other formats can be done enjoyable as well, I just think that this should be a more viable options for certain series.