3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-07-18, 03:22   Link #21
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I think it is hard to draw conclusions of how things will turn out, there is plenty of time for things to flip around a few times really .
Doesn't look like that to me. They had plenty of chances to start developing something between Hayate and Mirage (they were trapped alone in the ship in episode 14, and they were shopping alone together in this episodes), but nothing came out of it, romantically speaking. At this point I don't think that's ever going to change.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2016-07-18 at 03:45.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-18, 04:06   Link #22
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

I am just annoyed that we have a half-Meltran girl in the main cast but not get to see her go giant.
Old 2016-07-18, 06:45   Link #23
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Isn't it obvious?
Spoiler for ep16:
Spoiler for alternatively:

That moment made me go "DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN" This is a feeling I've never felt with any previous Macross love triangles ever, which tells me they're very successful at what they're trying to do on that front.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-18, 06:58   Link #24
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Nice seeing Walkure and the Delta Squadron throwing a party for Freyja Wion! On the other hand, it's sad that Mirage is crying in the end as Freyja and Hayate are enjoying together even though they're not in an intimate relationship. Don't worry Mirage, you'll get your happy ending!

Meanwhile, it's sucks that Arad didn't tell about Hayate's father and his role during the Windermere War of Independence 7 years ago. On the other hand, I wonder how old Mikumo Guynemer is as no one celebrate her birthday? It's so mysterious...
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-18, 09:47   Link #25
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I am just annoyed that we have a half-Meltran girl in the main cast but not get to see her go giant.
But Mirage is a quarter Zentradi. So was Ranka and she didn't go big.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-18, 09:53   Link #26
Mistyclear

All in all a heart warming episode.
Mistyclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-18, 10:09   Link #27
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_Hunter View Post
Agreed, which is why I still like Frontier more than Delta so far, I mean we're just getting some backstory (info about Hayate's dad) and development (him apparently realizing his feelings for Freyja) for our protagonist this late in the series, and development for other characters including the two female leads has been scarce, specially for Mirage for example.
Absolutely agreed.

---

As for the episode: A character development episode, which was long overdue. Hayate finally gets an inkling about his feelings, although he really is almost as asexual as Basara was. The two girls.... eeeh. I feel the show is being still too coy about having them realize what they are feeling. With Freyja, I am not sure exactly what she is feeling, to be honest. There are way too many mixed signals in this episode.

What's more, is Freyja's singing somehow harming Hayate now? The dizzying spell he had when his fold crystal reacted to her song was certainly worrying.

As for the Windbags, the split between the old and new generation continues. I am a bit confused by Bogue's behaviour, on one hand he seems to support the attack on the galaxy, on the other hand he sorta mocks Heinz in this episode.

And Heinz views mind-controlling the entire galaxy as "liberating" them. Great, kid. You might be just as delusional as your old man was.
Old 2016-07-18, 10:20   Link #28
CriiGV
Junbi wa inka ne?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
What's more, is Freyja's singing somehow harming Hayate now? The dizzying spell he had when his fold crystal reacted to her song was certainly worrying.
It's more that Hayate and Freyja's resonance is getting deeper and now he's also able to feel her strong emotions. Kind of a common trope and development when two characters resonate with each other. At first the resonance is superficial but as they progress and become closer, the resonance also deepens to the point that they can feel each other's emotions.
CriiGV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-18, 10:31   Link #29
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Excuse me while I cast aside all logic and devolve into a dumb fanboy.

Images
holy shit
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

OH GOD YES IT'S HAPPENING!! I never thought this pairing could go so far and it feels like this episode pretty much announced Hayate x Freyja for endgame. Mirage has never got this much sheer chemistry with Hayate during the show even during their moments alone together and now it feels like Freyja is blowing out the competition. Also making snow for Freyja was the BEST BIRTHDAY IDEA EVER, awesome job Hayate! I'm so goddamn happy right now and on top of that it was also a super awesome amazing heartwarming cute awesome super episode which was great!

I swear if they actually end with Hayate x Mirage after this I'm going to be trolled beyond belief.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-18, 10:50   Link #30
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Oh GOD, Mirage is so adorable this episode, especially with that skirt (I never thought she'd ever wear one lol). From trying to make aware Hayate of his feelings towards Freyja, to somehow ending up as the one in charge of Freyja's party (even though Maki said she'll take care of the details ), Mirage just can't escape the emotional pain train. Clearly Hayate thinks of Mirage as his best friend, asking her out to buy Freyja's gift with, but Mirage isn't blind when it comes to Hayate really enjoying his time around Freyja. Hope she still continues to be Hayate's best friend despite her feelings growing uncontrollably, as I absolutely love the drama that unfolds from these sorts of situations.

I swear though, Mirage is doing her best impression of Misa with that forlorn look near the end of the episode. So even though technically Mirage ship has its hulls breached as of now, I just can't help but feel she still has a decent chance by the end of this all.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-18, 10:53   Link #31
xeviouses

Keep sailing beyond the stars my ship! hehe..

In all seriousness though I wonder how Hayate will react when he finds out whatever it is Arad is keeping from him about his dad.

And Knights are finally getting a clue, about time.
Old 2016-07-18, 11:03   Link #32
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Normally I'd consider this sort of episode as "peaking early" for the girl who seems to be winning the ship here. But in this case, Freyja isn't merely in the lead here, she's the only one who's even out of the starting gate.

Yes, Mirage's feelings for Hayate's are very clear, but there's now very little reason to think that Hayate sees her through a romantic lens. It's pretty clear that he sees her as a good buddy/comrade. Meanwhile, him and Freyja have flirted a lot with each other already, and this episode makes it pretty clear that they have romantic feelings for each other. Hayate's just such an easygoing guy that he's only now realizing this, ironically prompted by Mirage herself.

I wouldn't say all hope is lost for Mirage, but it would almost certainly take larger scale plot events for Mirage to come back from this. What I mean is something like Freyja getting captured by the Aerial Knights and being out of reach for Hayate for several episodes (though even this wouldn't necessarily kill HayateXFreyja).

Hayate's choice seems pretty clear right now. In any event, beautiful episode! Lovely birthday celebration with some very strong emotions.
Old 2016-07-18, 11:15   Link #33
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Mirage's characterization leaves much to be desired. Though they are supposed to eventually perform a Valkyrie duet in the near future, we will see how that goes.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-18, 11:40   Link #34
Alhazred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Mirage's characterization leaves much to be desired. Though they are supposed to eventually perform a Valkyrie duet in the near future, we will see how that goes.

- Tak
Hmm... has there ever been another supposed 'major character' in a Macross series that had less impact than some of the 'side characters' until 60% through the series run, but still managed to make a (credible) turnaround by the end?

At this point i'm sorta betting that:
  • Freyja gets kidnapped by Wintermere/Epsilon to replace Heinz as the singer for some nefarious purpose.
  • Hayate resonates too strongly with her so he has to temporarily ditch the fold crystal pendant, resulting in him suddenly being a terrible pilot again.
  • Mirage has to step up and get him back on his feet, bringing about the synchronous piloting that we see in the first OP.
  • Mirage shippers will get thrown a few bones during this period, but the series will likely end almost immediately after Freyja is rescued during the final climax, so no 'closure' until the inevitable movie adaptation.
Alhazred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-18, 11:44   Link #35
RDF2050
Superidol

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbox360 View Post
Hayato dad must of did something major if Arad want to keep mum about it. Was he pilot who nuke windermere?
I believe this is exactly the case.
Old 2016-07-18, 11:47   Link #36
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
As for the Windbags, the split between the old and new generation continues. I am a bit confused by Bogue's behaviour, on one hand he seems to support the attack on the galaxy, on the other hand he sorta mocks Heinz in this episode.
That's just GG taking way too much liberties with the translation again. He just said they have to follow Heinz in that line. The "oh-so-wise" thing is crap GG came up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alhazred View Post
  • Freyja gets kidnapped by Wintermere/Epsilon to replace Heinz as the singer for some nefarious purpose.
  • but the series will likely end almost immediately after Freyja is rescued during the final climax
That's not gonna happen. If Freyja gets kidnapped next episode, they'll have her back by episode 19 at most. The producers just can't have their main idol out of the game for longer than that. They know the Japanese are watching more for her than for Hayate, and they have to keep selling CDs and live events tickets.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2016-07-18 at 11:58.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-18, 12:02   Link #37
Alhazred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
That's not gonna happen. If Freyja gets kidnapped next episode, they'll have her back by episode 19 at most. The producers just can't have their main idol out of the game for longer than that. They know the Japanese are watching more for her than for Hayate, and they have to keep selling CDs and live events tickets.
Wasn't predicting she'd be kidnapped next episode; despite the ominous foreshadowing in the brief preview (and all the flags raised by giving her a birthday celebration episode) it might be a bit before something happens to her.

Edit: Of course the longer it takes them to drive a temporary wedge between Hayate and Freyja, the less time they have to give Mirage the spotlight, but she's gotten the short end of the stick enough that i hold out only waning hope of them making a credible effort to rectify that.
Alhazred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-18, 12:06   Link #38
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alhazred View Post
Wasn't predicting she'd be kidnapped next episode; despite the ominous foreshadowing in the brief preview (and all the flags raised by giving her a birthday celebration episode) it might be a bit before something happens to her.
Well, I do think she might get kidnapped next episode, all things considering. But Hayate and co. will rescue her in no time. Like I said, the producers won't have their main idol benched for too long. She's the one selling this thing, after all.
Old 2016-07-18, 12:11   Link #39
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Normally I'd consider this sort of episode as "peaking early" for the girl who seems to be winning the ship here. But in this case, Freyja isn't merely in the lead here, she's the only one who's even out of the starting gate.

Yes, Mirage's feelings for Hayate's are very clear, but there's now very little reason to think that Hayate sees her through a romantic lens. It's pretty clear that he sees her as a good buddy/comrade. Meanwhile, him and Freyja have flirted a lot with each other already, and this episode makes it pretty clear that they have romantic feelings for each other. Hayate's just such an easygoing guy that he's only now realizing this, ironically prompted by Mirage herself.

I wouldn't say all hope is lost for Mirage, but it would almost certainly take larger scale plot events for Mirage to come back from this. What I mean is something like Freyja getting captured by the Aerial Knights and being out of reach for Hayate for several episodes (though even this wouldn't necessarily kill HayateXFreyja).

Hayate's choice seems pretty clear right now. In any event, beautiful episode! Lovely birthday celebration with some very strong emotions.
Thing is Hayate isn't even aware he has choice, at this point Mirage isn't even in contest she only wish she were. She and Hayate build very strong relationship as strong or possibly even stronger as he has for Freya, so even if she run beside track it's not like she will necessarily behind once she enter the fray.

She just have to do it before it's too late, which is often her type of character undoing...
Old 2016-07-18, 12:36   Link #40
Boukenxha

Wonderful song, tailored for Suzuki Minori and probably shall be most remembered as Hayate and Freyja's love theme. Praise Delta for giving us a clear romance pairing, I'm good either way but this episode is special as Delta dispense with most hooks of a convoluted love triangle. It actually won't be a bad idea to keep it at that imo. I'm available for free hugs, Mirage.
Boukenxha is offline   Reply With Quote