AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Tales of... > Tales of the Abyss (Archive)

Notices

Old 2008-10-06, 17:51   Link #441
Bobu44
Gaku Translator

Sorry Starks, I'll get to megauploading next time I can plan for it.

If I leave it to upload to megauploads now, I'm going to be away from my computer for the rest of the day, or say 12 or so hours then. Which means at best you'll get to download it much much later.

Alright everyone, thanks for your messages, will be back later on
Bobu44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 17:54   Link #442
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
Bobu44, if you want Gaku to be even remotely relevant, I strongly recommend that you offload the task of muxing and distroing to another person.
Old 2008-10-06, 18:01   Link #443
Starks
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
Well, I'm downloading Shinsen's now. Also watched Weiss and Osu. I don't know which I'll keep in the end (unless a group takes way too long). But anyway, it seems like a decent series, the main char is not as much of a shounen retard as I was expecting, so it's ok, I'll pick that, too. ^^
I feel really dirty praising Shinsen, but they actually deserve it for once.

I've hated them for years due to their monolithic status. Big groups have been out of style since 2003 and Vincent wanted Shinsen to be the exception to the rule. Unfortunately, such ambitions have lead the group to promise a fansub for practically every show in a given season, dropping many along the way or under-delivering due to an overstretched staff.
Old 2008-10-06, 18:02   Link #444
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Just to say this first, now that proper stream of subs seems to be rolling, it'd be best if we could tone down game-spoiler discussions to a proper minimum, even with spoiler tags.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 18:04   Link #445
Starks
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Just to say this first, now that proper stream of subs seems to be rolling, it'd be best if we could tone down game-spoiler discussions to a proper minimum, even with spoiler tags.
Not a chance.

The spoiler tag exists for a reason and if you click on a game-labeled spoiler, you have only yourself to blame.
Old 2008-10-06, 18:16   Link #446
Xevious451
Unassuming Local Guy

Send a message via AIM to Xevious451 Send a message via MSN to Xevious451
As far as the Shinsen and AC releases are concerned, I'm going to pay attention to both for awhile and see which I prefer once things get rolling.

Personally, I'd hope AC to be the superior release... if not just because I frequent that site daily already.
Xevious451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 18:22   Link #447
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starks View Post
Not a chance.

The spoiler tag exists for a reason and if you click on a game-labeled spoiler, you have only yourself to blame.
No not really. The rules state that future spoilers, even in spoiler tags are not allowed.

I truly want to enjoy this series, i've been wanting to for so long though because of the game never being released here i can't. I click on spoiler tags because i'll be watching it raw and i don't wanna be reading future events.
Old 2008-10-06, 18:23   Link #448
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Quote:
Not a chance.

I agree with you but doesn't the spoiler policy say otherwise
Old 2008-10-06, 18:27   Link #449
Starks
*Scanlator

The only problem AC faces is one of general experience with fansubbing.

I've witnessed many community-oriented groups come up short over the years. For all of their loyalty and familiarity with a certain series, an overall lack or deficiency in fansubbing fundamentals is a recurring theme.

One of the most recent examples I can think of would be the PPGZ anime with the ToTheZ community trying to outsub the veterans of TV-Nihon.
Old 2008-10-06, 18:29   Link #450
Starks
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
No not really. The rules state that future spoilers, even in spoiler tags are not allowed.

I truly want to enjoy this series, i've been wanting to for so long though because of the game never being released here i can't. I click on spoiler tags because i'll be watching it raw and i don't wanna be reading future events.
I call bullshit. The Code Geass board broke that rule on an hourly basis and was encouraged by moderators to the point where a dedicated spoiler topic was deemed necessary.
Old 2008-10-06, 18:35   Link #451
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
I call bullshit. The Code Geass board broke that rule on an hourly basis and was encouraged by moderators to the point where a dedicated spoiler topic was deemed necessary.
Originally, the rule was more flexible. But then the advent of unlabeled spoiler tags/inability to separate speculation from actual spoilers/etc did make it kinda hard to grasp onto the golden rule. Besides, it's harder to control the fans even with tags when they go to numerous amounts like Code Geass's fanbase did.

Which is why sub-forums usually have the Generic thread vs For Experienced yadayada threads. And how if a series didn't get too much exposure for sub-forums but a rampage of game/manga discussions occur, related discussions are forced to scuffle to the manga discussion threads, etc.

And yeah, spoiler policy.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2008-10-06, 18:40   Link #452
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
You can call what you like but I suggest you try actually reading the Spoiler Policy first.

Series that have their own forum (such as CG) operate under slightly different rules (as stated in the Spoiler Policy) than threads in the Fansubbed / Licensed / Unaired forums.

But enough of this off-topic banter. Can I remind people of the purpose of this thread, it is to discuss the anime series Tales of the Abyss. It is not about the creation of fansubs, fansub group comparisons, distribution methods, spoiler policy, it is for the story and plot of Tales of the Abyss.

Please remain on-topic
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 18:50   Link #453
Starks
*Scanlator

Gotcha xris.

Also, I want to correct the record on my evaluation of Shinsen's fansub.

It appears that pot and anime don't mix. I had misread the actual resolution of the encode and it turns out that the release is not 720p but rather the mid-range 1024x576.
Old 2008-10-06, 19:03   Link #454
FireChick

Ummm...is it me, or are there like THREE episodes coming this week? They aired two already!
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 19:09   Link #455
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Gotcha xris.

Also, I want to correct the record on my evaluation of Shinsen's fansub.

It appears that pot and anime don't mix. I had misread the actual resolution of the encode and it turns out that the release is not 720p but rather the mid-range 1024x576.
So, are the others (like Osu! and the others) upscale or is the Shinsen raw of lower quality? The Shinsen translation seems ok though, so I'd hate if the others are really better raws cause I think Shinsen's translation seems better (could be wrong though).
Old 2008-10-06, 19:10   Link #456
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick
Ummm...is it me, or are there like THREE episodes coming this week? They aired two already!
That was explained by someone previously. Basically, one network broadcasted the first two episodes back to back.

In the meantime, I'll be checking out Shinsen's fansub.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 19:38   Link #457
TrueKnight

Putting the fansub mumbo jumbo aside... maybe ASuki could list Gaku's 2nd ep torrent link seeing they're fixed (I'm one of the unfortunate individuals who've d/led the original). I can imagine the leechers faces when they saw 2nd Ep translated and up in the torrent list, "zomg wtf 2nd ep already wtf wtf!?!".

A good way to attract new viewers I'd say~
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 19:50   Link #458
Starks
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
So, are the others (like Osu! and the others) upscale or is the Shinsen raw of lower quality? The Shinsen translation seems ok though, so I'd hate if the others are really better raws cause I think Shinsen's translation seems better (could be wrong though).
I don't know what raws Osu! and other groups used, but I assume they used 1280x720 raws from Japanese P2P apps or an unnamed popular torrent site. They don't look like upscales.

Shinsen apparently used a TS (using transport streams is pretty much standard operating procedure for serious groups nowadays) and shrunk it down.

Some groups resize down as a compromise between filesize and video quality but I think it's completely unnecessary. x264 allows for amazing compression if you how to use it properly.

Also, I find it odd that Shinsen would give Casshern the full 720p treatment, but not ToTA. I don't appreciate the lack of uniform resolutions and Shinsen isn't the only group that does this with or without labeling the file as such.

Vincent really needs to coordinate his teams better.
Old 2008-10-06, 19:57   Link #459
kujoe
from head to heel

Well, at this point I'd say go with Shinsen. I'm not that familiar with the technical side of fansubbing, but from what I tell after scanning the first episode they got the names and terms right, and it seems someone in the group is actually familiar with the original material.

To those wondering: Shinsen is sticking with the official English translation of terms. (e.g., "fonon" instead of "fonim")
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 20:22   Link #460
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
Technically, 2 episodes aired last week.

This site here shows the schedule for Tales of Abyss. So the next airing for Abyss would be this Friday's episode 2 by MX (( made null by the special double airing )), so the latest episode would be by MBS/CBC on Saturday instead.

Tags
fantasy