AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-05-18, 11:03   Link #121
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
Haruhiism is more than a just fad, its a whole new religion.

The show comes from a set of novels written by Tanigawa Nagaru, its an award winning novel.
To quote from the eternal Haruhi-ism quote, as seen in C.A.'s sig, even if it may end as "just another fad" in this universe, it will live on in another parallel universe, forever perpetuating until all the multiverses are filled with at least one Haruhi-ist in each of them.
Old 2006-05-18, 11:17   Link #122
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Okay this is just getting weird, are there subliminal messages in this show that are turning people into worshippers. Fanatacism is never a good sign and might explain why this show got such a high rating on ANN. This better be really good. A show can not be a religion by the way, it can only advocate one.
Old 2006-05-18, 11:18   Link #123
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama
Okay seriously why is it so insanely popular?
Personally, I think that it's because it does the right things at the right time. It is popular because it does popular things, and a great many people find, quite individually, that they like it. The high production quality and the character personalities do help, of course. (As does the highly infectious ending theme.)

I know at least two people who don't like it, and the reasons they don't like it are exactly opposite. One says that there is not enough factor A and too much factor B, another says there is too much factor A and not enough factor B. And really, both can be absolutely correct.

EDIT: Generally, I think that the "worshipping" thing is, seriously speaking, just mostly done in a sort of humour. It's along the lines of Discordianism or the Flying Spaghetti Monster: most people, if in an utterly serious situation, would admit to not really believing in it, but there will be some who do (not that it's a bad thing, I think).
Old 2006-05-18, 11:21   Link #124
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Okay seriously why is it so insanely popular? I'm downloading an episode to watch and this better be something really special and not just another furor over a pretty new series as usually seems to be the case. I'm still not convinced why this is so highly rated based off of what I've read about it from a variety of websites. To me it seems like a wacky antics type show. These can be good, but I doubt that good. We shall see. Just playing the devil's advocate by the way.
You can't be a Devil's Advocate unless you actually know anything about what you are talking about. We don't need to convince you why we rated the show so highly, since frankly, we don't really care if you hate the show or not. Kyoto Animation doesn't owe you money. You have no right to demand anything, especially since you haven't spent any money.

Those who just want to complain can get lost. We don't need the "This show is overated!" "This show sucks! And I will watch it every week so I can tell you how much each new episode sucks!" trolls.

Quote:
Okay this is just getting weird, are there subliminal messages in this show that are turning people into worshippers. Fanatacism is never a good sign and might explain why this show got such a high rating on ANN. This better be really good. A show can not be a religion by the way, it can only advocate one.
Watch it already, or stop trolling.

I have a suspicion about you...
Old 2006-05-18, 11:42   Link #125
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
I believe that just as SHnY doesn't need posts that troll by slamming on the show just to get a reaction, we also don't need posts that are fanatical to the degree that any dissenting opinion is immediately shouted down.

Regardless of whatever the show (and the "Haruhiism" bit) purports, we don't really need a religious war.
Old 2006-05-18, 11:46   Link #126
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis
I believe that just as SHnY doesn't need posts that troll by slamming on the show just to get a reaction, we also don't need posts that are fanatical to the degree that any dissenting opinion is immediately shouted down.

Regardless of whatever the show (and the "Haruhiism" bit) purports, we don't really need a religious war.

Is this Haruhiism thing a part of the show, where its a joke about the main character converting people to a cause. I think I'm really starting to get part of the shows popularity, much of it comes as part of a theme presented in the show right. If that's the case people should distinguish between ranking the show exceptionally high and promoting the show as part of an in-joke.
Old 2006-05-18, 11:47   Link #127
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
You'll note the closest I came to insulting the show would be referring to it as a wacky antics type show. You'll also note I said that can make for a great show if done right. I never once insulted the show.
By the very fact that you already pre-judge the show before watching any of it (with no intention of ever watching it unless we some how "convince" you that it's worthy of your attention), I already know more about you than ever thought possible.

More importantly, you wondered why it was so highly rated. The fact that you thought you know better about the show than us just because you read a few descriptions. The fact that you seriously believed that the show has subliminal messages to thank for it's popularity, rather than, say, it actually being a good show...

As for who I think you are, since you asked?
Someone who is uptight about religion and has no sense of humour. Who considers himself a connoisseur and holds no respect for the animation studios. I'll be lucky if you are not a Fundamentalist.

Quote:
If that's the case people should distinguish between ranking the show exceptionally high and promoting the show as part of an in-joke.
Why? Because YOU want us to?
It appears my suspicions were absolutely correct.
Old 2006-05-18, 11:47   Link #128
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis

I do agree with that, as much as I wish more people to be Haruhists.

Thats why in my anti-trolling posts, I mention that Haruhiism cannot be spread by word. The only way Haruhiism spreads and touch people is by the show itself.

Also like I mention in the Suzumiya Haruhu thread that a Haruhi gene may be needed. The gene for people to be able to grasp the overwhelming transfer of data from the show.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2006-05-18, 11:52   Link #129
Adigard

Quote:
Is this Haruhiism thing a part of the show
Quote:
Originally Posted by My post from right up there
The Haruhi-ism notion seems to be based off a scene at the end of the OP, when Haruhi is standing next to the show's semi-trademark "H" and the word Haruhi-ism. It's probably got more to do with the viral spread and succes of the show, and less to do with any sort of... err... religious trappings.
If you want to avoid the troll moniker that's getting thrown around (rightfully atm)... you really should... I dunno...

Watch
the
show

You know, the one you're trying to carry on a conversation about? It's in a foreign language. If you're so worried about getting messed up by subliminals from a language I have to assume you don't natively speak... You probably shouldn't be watching random things that people recommend anyway. Give it a few episodes and then come back and try a stab at intelligent conversation. 'cause atm, that's not where this is heading ^_^
Old 2006-05-18, 11:55   Link #130
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Hahahaha Me a fundamentalist, I love this, I'm one of the most easygoing atheist type people on the planet. I also have deep respect for certain studios like Bones, Sunrise and Studio Pierrot. I'll admit one thing and thats that I have a slight bias against New anime that suddenly becomes incredibly popular as most of the time it is a fad and blows over fairly quickly, mostly because people tend to overrate them and it takes fans further away from the classics that I dearly love. I always start of watching new anime as a skeptic. I'm sure if I came in here ranting and raving about how great the show was off the bat without having watched any, you'd be singing a different song Valiant, am I right. For now I will shut up and watch the show.
Old 2006-05-18, 11:58   Link #131
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

I think everyone's getting a mite too defensive on all sides.

Basically, if you want to know why we like the show, the obvious thing to do is to watch it. If you don't like it, that's fine. SHnY is, like every other show out there, not for everyone. You're free to state why you don't like it, with reasons and calm rational discussion.

If you do like it, that's great. But getting defensive about the show and slamming everyone who dislikes it (and says so) is not productive.

Let's keep the personal attacks down, please. I know I'm not a mod, and I don't have any more say than anyone else on the forum, but I don't want this forum to turn into a flamefest for both sides.
Old 2006-05-18, 12:03   Link #132
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Hahahaha Me a fundamentalist, I love this, I'm one of the most easygoing atheist type people on the planet. I also have deep respect for certain studios like Bones, Sunrise and Studio Pierrot. I'll admit one thing and thats that I have a slight bias against New anime that suddenly becomes incredibly popular as most of the time it is a fad and blows over fairly quickly, mostly because people tend to overrate them and it takes fans further away from the classics that I dearly love. I always start of watching new anime as a skeptic. I'm sure if I came in here ranting and raving about how great the show was off the bat without having watched any, you'd be singing a different song Valiant, am I right. For now I will shut up and watch the show.
Trust me, we can tell if you gave praises about the show without knowing anything about it.
I won't have gotten upset over it, of course, but that would be only because I would consider you to either be drunk or under medical influence.

And being "over-rated"?

That is one of the words I truly despise. That's a word used to insult a show not for its content, but for it's supposed over-popularity. No truly bad show could be over-rated, as people don't rate such shows at all. The only reason anything is called over-rated, is because someone didn't like a show that was popular to others.

Since even the very best shows other there are not for everyone, nearly all shows that have fans could be considered over-rated by some people. Thus "over-rated" is a meaningless term that serves no constructive purpose as criticism.
Old 2006-05-18, 12:17   Link #133
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
Nowadays the Haruhi subforum seems a little less active, but i still see like 50 people viewing the section.
The subforum has some serious downtime depending on the current cycle. The show airs raw, and people spend a few days joking about the raw without really being able to understand exactly whats happening. That lasts for about two days, then it slows down again while people await the fansub.

Then the fansub hits, and people repeat the cycle all over again. Except this time the folks who avoid raw's chime in as well. We have a few days of conversation, talking about the humor, the direction of the show, as well as the funky episode order... then we settle down for a few days until the next raw comes out... and the cycle begins anew again.

Also, with most of our wonderful and dedicated novel translators being busy with RL things, the novel translation has stalled a bit. Perfectly understandable after all... it's not like people are getting paid for it (and the critically important Vol1 is fully translated already) ^_^

We've also passed the halfway mark for the show's run so it's also possible that many of the bandwagon jumper's have moved on to greener pastures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
And being "over-rated"?
That is one of the words I truly despise. That's a word used to insult a show not for its content, but for it's supposed over-popularity. No truly bad show could be over-rated, as people don't rate such shows at all. The only reason anything is called over-rated, is because someone didn't like a show that was popular to others.
We don't need a rehash of the old over-rated vs. over-hyped debate that's raged across the internet, right? ^_^
Over-rated: To overestimate the merits of; rate too highly.
Over-hyped: To promote or publicize to excess: Promoters grossly overhyped the movie.

There's nothing wrong with not understanding grass roots fan-based hype. People who come into the show late are going to have very very high expectations of the show... and to be honest... it's very possible the show won't deliver. After all, it's not for everyone. So it's perfectly acceptable to come into the show now and find it over-hyped. On the other hand... if you're turned off from a show because all your peers are talking about it, you probably have some pretty serious issues.

If the show is legitimately over-hyped by the shows promoter's and the end-product doesn't live up to the hype, the over-hyped term applies perfectly. If, on the other hand you feel your peer's are spending too much time talking about a show... well... umm... maybe you're just an elitist who can only enjoy the niche shows. But those people are weird.

Last edited by Adigard; 2006-05-18 at 12:35.
Old 2006-05-18, 13:06   Link #134
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Eureka seven? What the hell?

/Edit: Okay then...please try to keep this thread on topic. Thanks.

/Edit2: Oh and please try to remember: this thread is for Questions and Answers and Show Facts. Try to take other discussion either to PM or request another thread. This thread is not for general discussion. Thanks tons. Love you guys! Cheers!

Last edited by Catgirls; 2006-05-18 at 14:07.
Old 2006-05-18, 13:51   Link #135
Katapan
俺様祭り

I'd like to ask a question to novel readers, after seeing the "SOS Dan Relation Chart" that Kinny Riddle posted.

Spoiler for Novel Spoiler:
Old 2006-05-18, 14:12   Link #136
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapan
I'd like to ask a question to novel readers, after seeing the "SOS Dan Relation Chart" that Kinny Riddle posted.

Spoiler for Novel Spoiler:
It's nothing that blatant,

Spoiler for the crush thing from Snow Mountain Syndrome:

Well, anyone with BL-minds probably took that and amplified it in their heads 100 times, hence the BL jokes.
Old 2006-05-18, 14:39   Link #137
Katapan
俺様祭り

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
It's nothing that blatant,

Spoiler for the crush thing from Snow Mountain Syndrome:

Well, anyone with BL-minds probably took that and amplified it in their heads 100 times, hence the BL jokes.
Well, that surely wasn't anything very suggestive but damn, that definitely sounds like a truly funny moment. I want to imagine the reactions now.
I can only hope for this part to be animated some day. Thanks a ton!
Old 2006-05-19, 12:10   Link #138
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomX
Lol, someone better translate that chapter NOW XD
Before that, one needs to read volume 4 first. Be patient.

Spoiler for Vol5:
Old 2006-05-20, 02:20   Link #139
PhantomX
Tsuruya's Lover

Send a message via AIM to PhantomX Send a message via MSN to PhantomX
It seems that there are novels that are very linear and story-centric (like 1 and 4) which are interspersed by lighter, more short story type novels (like 2 and 3). I think that everything is important in its own way though ... and I know a couple of short story events are referred to.
Old 2006-05-20, 09:00   Link #140
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Alright, I have a question here:

Why can't people see what's happening in episode 1? I mean those who watched the entire episode and still don't know that its an amateur student film. Its worse for those who deleted the video after watching 5 minutes or something.

Its good that theres people who didn't enjoy episode 1 but still watched and enjoyed episode 2. But the effect is totally different, without fully understanding the brilliance of episode 1, you miss a large portion of the story. Its one of the reasons why some people who have followed the show find the show confusing and hard to understand.

Why can't people see the brilliance and importance of episode 1? I'm sure those who understood episode 1 would rank it as one of the best, if not the best episode so far.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Closed Thread