AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2011-02-13, 10:07   Link #19961
justavisitor

to me, detailing is fine, but at least majority part of the model should have the correct color

This is because I don't have to tools and I don't have time to paint them...then it's an eye sore to see the model with all the wrong color XD

but then, I know it's just me I guess
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-13, 12:06   Link #19962
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

That still doesn't logically make a model an "improper" model kit. In the first place, Bandai is the exception and not the rule for model kits, having models with parts-color integration and snap-fit kits made to look good out of the box - a large percentage of all model kits in the world come in two-tone plastic colors and require glue and lots of paint to look good. A "proper" model kit is a kit that can be assembled to resemble the design it is made to be a model of.

The limitations of the model kit you mentioned is a byproduct of the things you state you lack - tools and time. However, this is a shortcoming of your circumstance, rather than a shortcoming with the kit itself. The HG Aile Strike, with paint and touch up, will look like the Aile Strike design when completed with the features of the HG technologies at the time, and hence is already a "proper" model kit in itself. Admittedly, the HG Aile Strike isn't up to the standard of some of the HGUC kits in the same time period when it comes to a few features (for instance the hands), but at the time the HG Aile Strike and others were the epitome of Bandai's HG technology at the time. If we were to have this discussion back then, then we would be wishing for designs to be made in the same technological and engineering vein as the HG Aile Strike, much like how we wish for designs to be made to Real Grade standards now.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-13, 12:58   Link #19963
JC...
I am a Pie

That's why Modelers who become Gunpla-modelers are usually more skilled than people who went straight into gunpla. Gunpla out of the box takes little skill, not glue or anything is needed, so it's a walk in the park for experienced modelers.

In fact, you get articulation in Gunpla, that makes it even more 'proper', other model kits don't always have movable propellers or wheels let alone fully articulated joints.
JC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-13, 13:52   Link #19964
justavisitor

@LoweGear and JC...
True enough I guess...I forget that when compared to other models that need glue and massive paint, HG is already an outstanding series

hmm...that makes me think whether I should buy a RG strike kit lol...I am afraid that my limited skill would just waste the kit...basically I only know snap-fit...how hard it is to build a RG kit??
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-13, 14:19   Link #19965
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
I personally rather have them as complete as possible since it takes less work to finish them. Coloring can be fun admittingly but I really want to have a working articulate model ASAP since I get the most enjoyment from the completed product as opposed to the work even if the end product is more satisfying if you put more work into it.( time constraints mostly, don't have as much time as i used to) Still, the HG kits of recent years are good enough since most of the colors are already done.
Old 2011-02-13, 16:19   Link #19966
Butagami

I also like how Bandai kits are quite goodlooking out-of-box. I'm not feeling ready mentally for painting and such,and also lack materials and workspace atm. Having said that, I also noticed recently the progress Bandai has made with their kits. I have two 1/100 scale kits, a Wing Zero (TV Version) and a Dynames (which by the way is Awesome, only problem I have with it is that the red pieces on the V-fin and the small green parts on the cheeks are stickers, they slide when I reveal the Forehead Camera >:^( ,and that the connector of the Rifle sticks out like a sore thumb when he has it hanging on his shoulder. )
Zero is riddled with panellines all over, but not all of them are really deep enough so that the marker stays on. They also fade at some points.
Dynames has few panellines, but the ones he has are well-made and easy to do. You can also feel the difference in plastic quality. zero feels "cheap" somehow.

I also compared their main weapons. Yet again, great difference. Zero's Twin Buster Rifle has a decent amount of panellines, but appears rather dull, especially when you split it in half.
Meanwhile, Dynames Sniperrifle has a buttload of details spread across it, and not just some lines. When you look at it from the side, it almost looks functional.
And somehow, The sniperrifle is bigger than the TBR... The TBR is a bit chunkier, but the barrels are smaller and it doesn't look like it could blow up a colony.

Overal, it looks like Bandai really learned some new stuff in the way of materials and detailing. I'm really looking forward to how kits will look 10 years from now.

Just so you know, While I've really fallen in love with the Dynames, Zero was and is one of my favorites (Wing was my gateway series for both Gundam and Anime in General, so it has Special value :P). The 1/100 kit just doesn't do it justice. Just like some others on this thread, I'm hoping for a decent HGAC line. And definitely a MG Dynames, the suit just screams for it.
Butagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-13, 21:27   Link #19967
MoonLightShadows
Gundam Meister

I got the MG Infinite Justice to replace my old 1/100 that i painted most of it red and noticed the MG box had a 30th anniversary stamp on it. and had an extra 'F' plate with clear parts

Spoiler for :
Old 2011-02-15, 11:09   Link #19968
CsrFSeiei

Yes the 30th campaing is very sweet! i have the RX-78 ver 2.0 with clear parts also !
Gundam kits out-of the box are cool but if you go fordward just a little for example begin with top coat flat or gloss it gives a total new look only by spraying some coat! later you can try with other kits painting with spray cans and then Air brush !
Old 2011-02-15, 11:57   Link #19969
JC...
I am a Pie

Hand painting works too. It's a bit harder to get a good result, but it's fun and easy.

Just use some watered down paint and light strokes to prevent visible brush strokes.
Old 2011-02-15, 12:52   Link #19970
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC... View Post
Hand painting works too. It's a bit harder to get a good result, but it's fun and easy.

Just use some watered down paint and light strokes to prevent visible brush strokes.
And don't forget to have rubbing alcohol close by.
Old 2011-02-15, 15:54   Link #19971
CsrFSeiei

But Spray cans are easy to use, also use some masking tape for masking!
Old 2011-02-15, 18:24   Link #19972
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

I'm really bad at spraycans, can't control the pressure and speed. Not as much colors as the ones that comes in the small bottles too and can't mix colors.(unless you take it out of the can) I just invested in the cheapest airbrush I could find and bought the Mr Color paints in the small bottles. I do like to use the clear ones though on occasion when I'm lazy to handpaint them.

Now that I leave overseas I can't do that anymore though (or for that matter, anything gunpla related), but I used to a few months ago.
Old 2011-02-15, 18:43   Link #19973
Butagami

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSP View Post
I'm really bad at spraycans, can't control the pressure and speed. Not as much colors as the ones that comes in the small bottles too and can't mix colors.(unless you take it out of the can) I just invested in the cheapest airbrush I could find and bought the Mr Color paints in the small bottles. I do like to use the clear ones though on occasion when I'm lazy to handpaint them.

Now that I leave overseas I can't do that anymore though (or for that matter, anything gunpla related), but I used to a few months ago.
Sucks for you that you can't get your gunpla cravings satisfied. I hope it's not permanent
Butagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-15, 19:00   Link #19974
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butagami View Post
Sucks for you that you can't get your gunpla cravings satisfied. I hope it's not permanent
It's not, I brought some of my gunpla with me but I can't work on any new ones. I'm going to be here for awhile though since I'm studying here. The goodwill is greatly appreciated however.

Maybe, I'll start ordering online and buying my painting stuff online too but I'd rather not start in the near future. Coming from a country where you have gunpla stores shelved with gunplas and paint, it's going to be a bit different though.

Speaking of which I have a query. You all are familiar with the standard Bandai-seperately sold 1/100 stands right? (the ones that are also compatble with 1/144s)

Using the "stick" configuration, has anyone had any problems fitting their HG 00 Raiser or HG 00 Qan(T) on it? Mine will ALWAYS be loose for some reason with this type of stand, it just doesnt fit. My other HG 1/144s almost have no problem with them though, and the standard sole seperate HG 1/144 stand with the stick config fits the 00 Raiser/Qan(T) perfectly but I can't get it to work with the darn 1/100 stand for some reason. Which is sad, because I like the 1/100 stand because it allows you to post them at a higher altitude. Anybody else had this problem before?

It's not just unique to a particular physical unit either, I have two 00 Raisers and a Quanta and I have trouble fitting them with all three. Nor is it limited to a specific stand, I have a lot of these Bandai 1/100 model stands (15 give or take) and all of them give me the same issue.
Old 2011-02-15, 21:48   Link #19975
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Found this on DeviantART:

Spoiler:
Old 2011-02-16, 00:38   Link #19976
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

That Harute reaaaaaally remind me a bit of Arche.
Old 2011-02-16, 04:48   Link #19977
Araxiel

Sweet. Red is really flattering on Harute.
Old 2011-02-16, 09:34   Link #19978
CsrFSeiei

Quote:
" I Feel you Man" (As DOTA Shaman :P)

I live in Peru (yeah quite far!) and here there is only ONE store that sells Gunpla, and is overpriced!!! Really overpriced, what i'm doing for gunpla is buying some from japanese stores and then my family send me the gunpla in a bag, is much much cheaper than buying it here ( in my blog there are some pictures).

Also when a friend goes to USA i ask him if he could buy me some, or just bring it here.

BTW spray cans are useless here because they sell only the paint cans not for modelling. I have a cheap airbrush (: and i import the Mr. Color painT!
Old 2011-02-16, 11:15   Link #19979
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
That Harute reaaaaaally remind me a bit of Arche.
I actually thought it was an Arche initially.
Old 2011-02-16, 11:22   Link #19980
JC...
I am a Pie

I'm going to be buying an Arche soon, and possibly converting it into an Arche Drei type unit.

Tags
gundam, gunpla, model kit, toy