Fate/Zero
Steins;Gate
Code Geass
Fate/Zero

Suggesting:
Shoujo Kakumei Utena
Mawaru Penguindrum
2nd this list

Although, full enjoyment of Fate/Zero kind of requires that you have good knowledge of the sequel (since this is a prequel), Fate/Stay Night, especially since the broadcast version is missing 23 minutes from the first season alone so some parts will be even more confusing for those with no knowledge of the background.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 22:24   Link #22
Selestine

thanks alot for clarifying what Madoka is all about. Now we'll make sure to give it a go.

We're almost done with Guilty Crown, btw. 15/22 Episodes. ^^
Selestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-31, 11:23   Link #23
Arya

Ahh, Guilty Crown, its OST is terrific!!
I'd second surely Psycho Pass even if it's an ongoing series, so once you catch up with it you'll have to wait
I'd second even Another, an horror show, so I don't know if it fits your requirements, but I liked it a lot, even if it messed up a bit with the ending. Be sure to have a good audio system.
I find/found both series having a more realistic mood than your usual anime (don't know how describe it well).
Liked even Phantom - Requiem for the Phantom and Higurashi.
There is another ongoing series that you could take an eye on: Shin Sekai Yori. But since it's still ongoing I can't really say if it will end being memorable or a failure.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-01, 00:27   Link #24
Mangakasan
BURST LINK!!

I think everyone here is forgetting the anime gantz it fits extremely well in what your looking for
Strength isn't just about winning. Even if my attempts are pathetic and comical, and even if I'm covered in the mud of my defeat, if I can keep fighting and look up at the sky as I lie on the ground, that alone is proof of true strength!
Mangakasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-01, 07:02   Link #25
Selestine

Oh, how could i have forgotten to mention Gantz in our list? I've seen it some years ago, it's a good show with some really bizzare elements & a weird ending, haha. I actually kept following the manga releases for a while after the Anime ended. I should do that again.

Edit: happy new year to all of you.
Old 2013-01-01, 12:35   Link #26
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selestine View Post
thanks alot for clarifying what Madoka is all about. Now we'll make sure to give it a go.

We're almost done with Guilty Crown, btw. 15/22 Episodes. ^^
Happy New Year.

Awaiting to hear what you two thought of Madoka. Let us know please.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-01, 20:46   Link #27
Selestine

We just finished Guilty Crown. We liked the show, although it was a bit confusing at points and the ending was a bit too simplistic. Everything seemed to be explained right in the end and left us confused throughout the series. A little more background on why Gai was fighting in the first place would have been nice...

Nontheless it was a fun anime to watch, so thanks for suggesting it.

We just got into watching Phantom, which seems quite good so far. But yes, after Phantom it'll definetly going to be Madoka and i'll keep you guys updated
Old 2013-01-01, 21:11   Link #28
kitten320

Just for information, Phnatom has 2 time skips and with that basically 3 different arcs with different feel. If you won't like arc 1, you might like arc 2 or 3. Majority prefers second arc, I fancy first
Old 2013-01-02, 08:28   Link #29
Traece
:cool:

Nobody mentioned Gunslinger Girl yet? Whoa now... One of the darker and more memorable shows I've seen. On Netflix too. I think this is absolutely up your alley.

.Hack series is a good one and it has a lot of dark. There's definitely some psychology at work but the violence is kind of tame. It's a popular series and it's most well known for its music and the "getting trapped in the video game world" that SAO is doing right now. Might be worth demoing.

I also recommend Code Geass highly. Very popular series when it aired. Steins;Gate is good as well.

Darker Than Black is a favorite of mine, and I highly recommend it. Definitely darker and very memorable. Done by the same people who did Phantom, and in my opinion Phantom and DTB are basically the same thing. I prefer DTB however.

If you haven't seen Ghost in the Shell, watch it. The series is a classic, and a must watch for just about anyone. This is an obligatory recommendation.

Hell Girl might be a good one to try. It's dark, violent, psychological, and although it is somewhat episodic it does have a main plot that's pretty nicely explained. It has, I believe, three seasons?

Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop might be up your alley as well, but more specifically Bebop since it's a bit more dark. I didn't see those on the list and those are, again, classics of a sort.

The difficult thing for recommendations here is that I tried to stick mostly to your list of themes that you liked. That would be fine, but your list of anime that you both liked is very broad. There seems to be a common denominator of suspense and action, but I'm not positive there. I think the best recommendation that I can give is that you both watch some of the most absolutely mainstream shows that everyone else has watched, and some of the classics. Bebop, Champloo, Ghost in the Shell, Code Geass, Gundam, Macross, Outlaw Star, Naruto, Bleach, Full Metal Panic!, etc.
Old 2013-01-22, 15:46   Link #30
Selestine

Hi all,

It took us a little while but today we finally finished Phantom - Requiem for the Phantom. Once again, thanks for the suggestion. The anime was pretty good, apart from the third arc, which just didnt live up to the rest of the show.

Spoiler for Spoiler - Third Arc / Ending:

We'll prolly try Madoka Magicka next. I promised, didn't I? xD

Last edited by Selestine; 2013-01-22 at 15:59.
Old 2013-01-22, 17:21   Link #31
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Seeing Mononoke on your original list made me wonder whether you had also seen its precedessor, the "Bakeneko" arc of Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales. The remake included in Mononoke, set in the twenties I think, is very different from the original, so do not expect to be bored. I think the original "Bakeneko" is actually the most powerful of all the Apothecary stories with a sensibility similar to the opening arc of Mononoke. "Bakeneko" is floating around on YouTube with the English dub, but for $9 you should just buy the DVD. There is absolutely no reason to listen to anyone other than Sakurai Takahiro in the role of the Apothecary. It may still be my all-time favorite performance by a male seiyuu.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 20:39   Link #32
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Hi all,

It took us a little while but today we finally finished Phantom - Requiem for the Phantom. Once again, thanks for the suggestion. The anime was pretty good, apart from the third arc, which just didnt live up to the rest of the show.

Waiting in anticipation.

It's always fun to see what people think as they go through the episodes of Madoka.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 01:33   Link #33
fukarming

Quote:
Hi all,

Spoiler for Spoiler - Third Arc / Ending:

I also recommend you to play the game Phantom base on. It is one of the few anime/game adaptation that I feel the anime can totally stand on its own, yet the game add lots of viewpoint which add depth to the story.
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 02:50   Link #34
larethian

Quote:
Now that you mention Code Geass (and since it's been mentioned before), I have to admit that I have given it a go some years ago. I think I ended up watching 2 episodes and then I dismissed it, thinking it was rather childish.
You sure you watching the right show?
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote