AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2013-08-19, 02:54   Link #221
suicane07

thanks for the translations..just love it..!!
suicane07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 05:42   Link #222
mike211
CoNfuSeOnE

Thank for completing the first volume.

It seem Ogre Lux weapons are all the hype these days, do you think Julis would eventually obtain one as well?

Also it seem Claudia Ogre Lux weapon "Pan-Dora" is a dual sword.

“Whatever your reasons may have been, you did what you did. Do not forget that the day will come when you must pay for it.”
mike211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 06:14   Link #223
setsuna86

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike211 View Post
Thank for completing the first volume.

It seem Ogre Lux weapons are all the hype these days, do you think Julis would eventually obtain one as well?

Also it seem Claudia Ogre Lux weapon "Pan-Dora" is a dual sword.
I don't think Julis will have one, since she's already a witch, and Ogre Lux user are all neither witch nor magician.
setsuna86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 06:36   Link #224
bludvein

Quote:
Originally Posted by setsuna86 View Post
I don't think Julis will have one, since she's already a witch, and Ogre Lux user are all neither witch nor magician.
Wasn't Ayato's sister a strega as well? She used the same Ogre Lux Ayato is using.
bludvein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 09:01   Link #225
mike211
CoNfuSeOnE

Ok my memory have fail me cause I thought "Witch" just another word for Strega, while "Magician" is another word for Dante. And Strega is use for girls while Dante is use for boys.

Also I thought Lux is a tool for only Strega and Dante, so Ogre Lux user can only be a Strega or Dante if the compatibility is right.

If I am wrong then what the definitions for "Witch" that I miss reading?

“Whatever your reasons may have been, you did what you did. Do not forget that the day will come when you must pay for it.”
Old 2013-08-19, 09:39   Link #226
Hiyono

Quote:
Ok my memory have fail me cause I thought "Witch" just another word for Strega, while "Magician" is another word for Dante. And Strega is use for girls while Dante is use for boys.

Also I thought Lux is a tool for only Strega and Dante, so Ogre Lux user can only be a Strega or Dante if the compatibility is right.

You're mostly right. For the most part Strega and Dante are incompatible with Ogre Lux weapons, but a select few are capable of it.
Hiyono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 10:19   Link #227
bludvein

Quote:

From chapter one.

Quote:
The girl was a Genestella<Starpulse Generation> who possessed a phenomenal physical ability due to her adaptability with Mana -- and besides, judging from the ability she used earlier, there was no doubt she would be a Strega<Witch>, whose existence was especially unique even among them (Genestella).

Starting with this Seidoukan Academy, most of the Students of the six Academies present in Asterisk were Genestella<Starpulse Generation>. Even Ayato, who was almost completely uninterested in the Festa<Star War Festival>, knew at least this. And though by adapting the "Mana", Strega<Witch> and Danchi<Magician> could bend even the physical laws of this world, he also knew just how rare of an existence they were.

According to a theory, even among the Genestella<Starpulse Generation>, those who revealed talent as Strega<Witch> or Danchi<Magician> were only a few percent. In the first place, even though there was an increasing tendency, the Genestella<Starpulse Generation> themselves were still a rare species. Speaking of that rarity, it could be easily inferred.

Ayato himself had actually so far come in contact with only one Strega<Witch>.
Lux are tools all Genestella can use. The Strega/Dante are those who can cast "magic" with their mana. No Lux required. The rest can only boost their physical abilities and infuse mana into Lux(which have their own effects).
bludvein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 10:23   Link #228
zerodragon

thx for all your hard work Nandesuto, i look forward to volume 2.
Old 2013-08-19, 10:51   Link #229
blaspot
\o/

When does volume 2 release? Really looking forward to the spoilers.
blaspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 11:01   Link #230
bakapervert
A pervert

^ According to the series overview, this series already has 3 volume released.
bakapervert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-20, 03:57   Link #231
mike211
CoNfuSeOnE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nandesuto View Post
You're mostly right. For the most part Strega and Dante are incompatible with Ogre Lux weapons, but a select few are capable of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvein View Post
From chapter one.

Lux are tools all Genestella can use. The Strega/Dante are those who can cast "magic" with their mana. No Lux required. The rest can only boost their physical abilities and infuse mana into Lux(which have their own effects).
Thank for clarity it for me, maybe I should re-read the vol.

Old 2013-08-20, 13:13   Link #232
Hiyono

OK, status update: I'm not going to have anywhere as much free time as I did before, but I'll try and finish V2 nonetheless. Whereas before I'd only post chapters in their entirety, I think now I'll probably just update with whatever progress I have every few days (or when there's notable progress).

Now, I know some of you have been wanting to help, but can't translate, and I've turned down offers to edit. That said, there are a couple things I could really use your help with:

#1: I was making my way through some of the terminology in the novel, and I realized why our translation for Named Cards/Battle Omnicon was wrong. We'd always thought there was something off, but I only just figured out what it actually ought to be: Named Charts (i.e. named rankings). I tried to fix the instances I found, but if you find any, I'd appreciate it if you fixed it for me.
Along the same lines, I think Denormative's suggestion of "invocation body" is much better than "activation body" or "tool" or whatever I was using to describe Lux weapons before. I haven't changed any of those myself, and would appreciate anyone kind enough to read through and update the wording.

#2: The naming of the terminology in this series can be a major pain in the butt, and I waste a lot of translation time trying to puzzle things out, particularly because the naming is generally non-English. As such, I've compiled a list of the ones from V2 that I wasn't able to figure out, and I figure I'd turn it over to you guys for suggestions.

As such, let me give a brief description of how these work. A lot of terminology in LNs is composed of two halves: one half that is kanji, and another half that is ruby, or furigana which explains how its name should be "read". The kanji provides a literal description of the thing in question, and the furigana gives its name. These names are more often than not given in katakana, and are not actual Japanese words; they're meant to be sounded out. When it comes to Asterisk in particular, they're often some European language or Latin, or some mixture thereof. Translating these names, more often than not, comes down more to Google-fu than any expertise in Japanese.

Let me give you an easy example to give you an idea of how the kanji meanings and the names go together:
星武憲章(ステラ・カルタ):
The kanji translates to "star""military""charter". The kana sounds like: stera-karta. Hence, put together, Stella Carta. "Stella" comes from "stellar" and "Carta" like in Magna Carta.

And now, the terminology in question (try and do the same kind of thing):
白濾の魔剣(レイ=グレムス)
孤毒の魔女 (エレンシュキーガル)
獅子派 (フェロヴィアス)
超人派 (テノーリオ)

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by Hiyono; 2013-08-20 at 15:54. Reason: Ferrovius looks good to me.
Old 2013-08-20, 15:16   Link #233
Fenrisulfr
私たち”友達”だから

For the 獅子派 lion faction? did you shorten it from フェロヴィアス? & I only found Ferrovius for it, some character from a book or something.
Fenrisulfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-20, 15:22   Link #234
Hiyono

You're absolutely right; I did. Ferrovius looks good to me, thanks.

Last edited by Hiyono; 2013-08-20 at 15:54.
Old 2013-08-20, 16:06   Link #235
Fenrisulfr
私たち”友達”だから

I give up, the 1st two are impossible, the last one from the superman faction? seems to be Tenorio which apparently means ladykiIIer in spanish lol.
Old 2013-08-20, 17:37   Link #236
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrisulfr View Post
Seems to be Tenorio which apparently means ladykiIIer in spanish lol.
超人派 -> Choujin Ha(?) -> Superhuman faction [ Tenorio ] (literally should be Superhuman faction, but I think it sounds silly that way... maybe? depends on what it's reffering to). テノーリオ is a spanish last name and a opera term, I think? It's also a fictional character from a spanish writer (search Diego Alatriste)

Hakuro(?) No Maken -> The Pure White magic sword [ Rei Grems ] (should be "white filled litteraly or something), レイ=グレムス probably comes from latin inspiration so I likely got it wrong.

Kodoku no Majo -> The venomous witch , Kodoku is a pot where poisonous living things are thrown in, and the one that survives has the strongest poison of them all due to surviving & absorbing the other poisons on their own, there are various examples of this in fiction. About the エレンシュキーガル , I'm not sure if is a term or a person or whatever, and I can't make it out [ Eremsh kigar (?) ]
Old 2013-08-20, 17:47   Link #237
Fenrisulfr
私たち”友達”だから

The グレムス might be Glems, some river in Germany, I was almost going to say it's from Ray-o-Grams as a joke since the Cursed Sword of White Filter? seemed to have to do with lights xD but レイ=グレムス & レイヨグラム are too different, would've been funny though. Edit: I came across Ereshkigal but it's slightly different エレシュキガル

Last edited by Fenrisulfr; 2013-08-20 at 22:24.
Old 2013-08-20, 23:04   Link #238
Hiyono

I just gave up on 白濾の魔剣 (レイ=グレムス) and went ahead and posted v2c1. Thanks for the help those who tried. (I figure we can always fix it later if someone figures it out down the road.)
Old 2013-08-21, 01:50   Link #239
bakapervert
A pervert

Thanks for the update Nandesuto.

Spoiler for new chaps:
bakapervert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-21, 02:09   Link #240
dragonsense

thanks for the translation at the present pace looks like nandesuto and hiyono would completed gakusen first before setsuna finish madan vol 07
dragonsense is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternate history, fantasy, harem, school life