AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-12-27, 17:07   Link #1
Tritium
doaho...

can anyone explain what bilingual means?

I want to buy the love hina manga, at my online manga store i can get 2 versions the plain english one and a bilingual? is this one different then the english one or what? thnx for helping me
Old 2003-12-27, 17:19   Link #2
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Bilingual = two languages

Basically it is a version with both the original Japanese and the English translation.
Old 2003-12-27, 17:22   Link #3
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritium
I want to buy the love hina manga, at my online manga store i can get 2 versions the plain english one and a bilingual? is this one different then the english one or what? thnx for helping me
I assume the English edition is TokyoPop and the bilingual Edition is Kodansha.

The bilingual edition contains the text in both English and Japanese. This is achieved by first removing the Japanese text and then replacing it with the English translation. The Japanese is then added again but typically in the margins at a reduced font. When there are large Japanese 'sound effects' in the panel, these remain and English equivalents are placed in the margin in a small font (typically in brackets).

With the TokyoPop version, they remove the Japanese text and replace it with English. They do leave the Japanese 'sound effects' but do not provide a translation in most cases.

Both retain the original right to left format. The Kodansha Volume 1 contains the first four chapters (140 odd pages) while the TokyoPop Volume 1 contains 6 chapters plus a few pages of character designs (190 odd pages). Both volumes are the same height but the Kodansha volume is a bit slimmer.

You may find later volumes of the Bilingual edition difficult to find. I think (not sure) that they stopped availability of it outside Japan after 10 (?) or so volumes. All of the TokyoPop volumes should be easier (and more than likely a bit cheaper) to obtain. I would suggest you check out www.amazon.com or www.amazon.co.uk or .nl (if there is one).

Hope that helps.

Oh yes. The Kodansha translation are more "English" while the TokyoPop translation are, of course, American.
"You're accident prone" - "You're a klutz"
"Ooh, you dirty rascal" - "You letch!"

Last edited by xris; 2003-12-27 at 17:31. Reason: Extra
Old 2003-12-27, 17:26   Link #4
Megane
Sleepy Head

Send a message via AIM to Megane Send a message via MSN to Megane
Quote:
Bilingual means to be in two different languages. If a person is bilingual, they might be able to speak English and Japanese, or English and French, or Welsh and Afrikaans, for example.

In reference to bilingual manga, it means it is most likely printed with both Japanese and English text. They do exist, and are designed to teach Japanese people English, and can even probably be used the other way around. A quick web search turned up a few links, if you want to find out more.

[EDIT]Eheh... looks like xris and NightWish are doing their jobs. Damn they're quick...
Old 2003-12-27, 18:19   Link #5
Tritium
doaho...

thnx xris for such a great explanation! And you're right about the part that volumes 10+ are hard to get my manga retailer doesn't even have 9+

edit:
yeah the almighty google forgot all about that one is there anyone that has a page of a bilingual manga? (or is this a illigal request?!) because google images only turns up in 404's
Old 2003-12-27, 18:32   Link #6
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
yeah the almighty google forgot all about that one is there anyone that has a page of a bilingual manga? (or is this a illigal request?!) because google images only turns up in 404's
It is against the forum rules to ask for translated material (be it for anime or manga) once something has been licensed. I suspect most sites removed their scanlations once it was licensed by TokyoPop.
Old 2003-12-27, 18:39   Link #7
Tritium
doaho...

k sorry i thought one tiny page couldn't harm anyone hehe

edit:
i found a page and it's nice to see but i'd rather have the "normal" english ones

Last edited by Tritium; 2003-12-27 at 18:52.
Closed Thread