AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

Old 2007-02-22, 10:52   Link #1
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

CLANNAD the Movie

The official site for the theatrical adaptation of CLANNAD, a 2004 bishojo game released by softhouse VisualArt's/Key after their success with Kanon and AIR, featuring one of the longest and most complex story in the industry, has opened.

http://www.clannad-movie.jp/

The official opening will be on March 8th.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-22, 10:57   Link #2
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I've wrote the date down on my calender - very much looking forward to this. Shall be interesting to see what Toei can do with it.
Old 2007-02-22, 13:06   Link #3
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
featuring one of the longest and most complex story in the industry, has opened.
And they go and make it a film rather than a series. GG guys. And while I've got nothing personal against Toei... after their version of Kanon, I'm not really holding out that much hope for this film. Though to be fair it's not like Toei are the same as they were in 2002, so they may yet surprise
Radiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-22, 15:02   Link #4
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Toei did a decent job with the AIR movie. It complemented the AIR series nicely.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-22, 15:35   Link #5
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Yeah, but that's the point, it complemented an already existing series, so it didn't need to do so much legwork in building things up, since most people were already familiar with the series and characters.
In this case though, unless you've played the game, you're not going to know any of the characters, and this is a long game as has already been stated, so I don't really see how they will be able to fit it into a film length feature without butchering a lot of it.

Guess it's possible they'll just pick one section and focus on it, much like short OAV's converted from huge games (like Tales of Phantasia.) We'll see.
Old 2007-02-22, 15:42   Link #6
FireChick

Oh cool! I gotta see this! Nagisa looks cute! Oh! When's the movie gonna come out?
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-22, 16:06   Link #7
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Yeah, but what I mean is that a Toei movie doesn't preclude the possibility of a TV series by another company.

It's too bad that no one's made Planetarian into a movie yet.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-22, 16:29   Link #8
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus IX View Post
Its to good to be made into a movie.

& thats true, we shouldn't exclude the possibility of a CLANNAD TV series happening in the future.. hopefully by you know who.
Old 2007-02-22, 17:18   Link #9
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiosity View Post
And they go and make it a film rather than a series. GG guys. And while I've got nothing personal against Toei... after their version of Kanon, I'm not really holding out that much hope for this film. Though to be fair it's not like Toei are the same as they were in 2002, so they may yet surprise
Like I mentioned elsewhere when Toei announced the CLANNAD movie adaptation last year, there's a pattern to this thing. Toei has already worked on Kanon (TV anime) and AIR (movie), with Kyoto Animation coming into the scene later each time with something that completely shadows Toei's version of the adaptations. With a Toei CLANNAD movie due out this year, it would almost be natural to expect a Kyoani CLANNAD TV animation to follow after that. With Kyoani's current busy schedule though, nobody knows when it'll come. But I think all Key fans will agree by now that we expect no less than Kyoani when it comes to a CLANNAD anime adaptation.

Still, that doesn't mean the CLANNAD movie will be a flop. That would be giving Toei too little credit. I'm still very much looking forward to the movie, although I fear it would be nothing but a barebone version of Nagisa's story, simply because of CLANNAD's sheer size and length. CLANNAD is longer than both Kanon and AIR combined for a reason, after all.
Old 2007-02-22, 18:25   Link #10
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Quote:
Like I mentioned elsewhere when Toei announced the CLANNAD movie adaptation last year, there's a pattern to this thing. Toei has already worked on Kanon (TV anime) and AIR (movie), with Kyoto Animation coming into the scene later each time with something that completely shadows Toei's version of the adaptations. With a Toei CLANNAD movie due out this year, it would almost be natural to expect a Kyoani CLANNAD TV animation to follow after that. With Kyoani's current busy schedule though, nobody knows when it'll come. But I think all Key fans will agree by now that we expect no less than Kyoani when it comes to a CLANNAD anime adaptation.
You're not the first to mention it either, because I already came to the same conclusion some time ago during discussions in an IRC channel I idle in. I still believe that they should go with maximum wow factor the first time round with a 24-26 ep series done by KyoAni when they have time, rather than diving into a truncated feature film version like this.

Quote:
Still, that doesn't mean the CLANNAD movie will be a flop.
Neither do I, and will likely enjoy it as much as I did the Air film (which was ok for the most part.) I just don't think it's really a good move.

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus IX
Now that's something I would love to see a good quality film of. It's short enough for it to be absolutely mind-blowingly awesome and atmospheric and sweet, particularly if a really high quality studio did it.
Old 2007-02-22, 19:51   Link #11
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
I wonder how the movie foucus will be, and which bits they will change. I can't wait to see Nagisa animated ^-^

For planetarian if it were to be animated, I wonder if they would animate bits from the novel.

Looking way ahead I hope for a Little Busters anime too XD
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-22, 19:56   Link #12
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y View Post
I'm still very much looking forward to the movie, although I fear it would be nothing but a barebone version of Nagisa's story, simply because of CLANNAD's sheer size and length.
Fear? That's what I'm hoping for. It'll be a total mess if they try to focus on more than one of the ladies. Sure, the others can have small parts, but spreading itself too thin would be far worse than just focusing on one single plot thread.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-22, 22:03   Link #13
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Otaku View Post
I wonder how the movie foucus will be, and which bits they will change. I can't wait to see Nagisa animated ^-^
The focus will be on Nagisa almost without a doubt. The other heroines will probably get a cameo/sub-heroine level appearance during the school life arc, and then fade out once we get into the After Story portion (speculation).

Quote:
For planetarian if it were to be animated, I wonder if they would animate bits from the novel.
Planetarian would make a good movie, although for some reason, it doesn't look like anyone is expecting one. Perhaps because of its limited story contents compared to a full-fledged game?

Quote:
Looking way ahead I hope for a Little Busters anime too XD
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. First we need to hope that the game actually gets released on the promised date first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Fear? That's what I'm hoping for. It'll be a total mess if they try to focus on more than one of the ladies. Sure, the others can have small parts, but spreading itself too thin would be far worse than just focusing on one single plot thread.
Oh, no, I wasn't suggesting in any way that they should try to capture the other girls' routes. To begin with, that would be impossible to do even if we split the movie into several installments. Besides, most other heroines' routes weren't all that significant compared to Nagisa's epic main route anyway (save Fuuko's, I cried so damn hard during her ending ).

By barebones I meant the movie having so little room to wiggle, they wouldn't have time to portray anything from Nagisa's story except the bare minimum that's required for the story to make sense. We're talking about a story that progresses through several eras in the characters' lives, after all.

Another concern I have, though less important, is the atmosphere the movie will end up providing. Anyone who played CLANNAD (or any Key game, for that matter) will tell you that it is a game that's as funny as it is touching (I think game fans will agree that CLANNAD wouldn't be CLANNAD without Sunohara or Akio's gut-bustingly funny antics). If possible, I want to see a movie that can maintain the "serious but gut-wrenching funny at times" atmosphere that the game managed to achieve.

Then again, maybe I'm just worrying too much. Dezaki-san is one of the most experienced anime directors out there, and I'm sure his experience with AIR movie will help with CLANNAD as well.
(then again, the guy is like 54 years old... ^^; )

Last edited by Sushi-Y; 2007-02-22 at 22:15.
Old 2007-02-22, 22:31   Link #14
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Sign me up as another person who doesn't see this working. There have just been too many examples in anime history of lengthy complex stories losing all that makes them meaningful and interesting when they're squeezed into a two hour movie. Sure, the AIR movie was acceptable, since it was more an adaptation than a direct retelling, but it was nothing compared with the TV series. Without knowing much about the CLANNAD story, I'd guess they'd do a similar thing with that, but my early guess is that it's going to be underwhelming compared with the source material.

And it seems I'm not the only one who would love to see KyoAni do a full length TV series with the CLANNAD story. They've shown already that they have a massive respect for Key's stories and the way they handle them is outstanding. We may dream, I guess. Hopefully Kanon 2006 will be a massive financial success to the point that KyoAni would see the benefit of bowing the any public requests for them to animate a CLANNAD TV series.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-23, 01:28   Link #15
velocity7

Looking forward to the movie, for two reasons:

1. Nagisa animated!
2. Good way to attract attention to my translation project!

TOEI can either do this two ways; they can either, as Sushi-Y said, have a barebones version of Nagisa's route (would that cover both School and After stories?). Or, they could do a completely original scenario that only involves Nagisa and ties the 幻想世界 a lot more than it should be. Maybe to the point where it's more like the AIR movie was. Not saying it's bad, I haven't seen it myself, but you never know when you only have 90 minutes.
Old 2007-02-24, 01:53   Link #16
-Nyu-
Yozora

Quote:
Yeah, but what I mean is that a Toei movie doesn't preclude the possibility of a TV series by another company.

Spoiler:

Yeah, Clannad movie, I can't hide that I'm little displeased that it's not KyoAni doing this. Moreover I played the game and it's long and I just wonder: How the hell they want to make a movie out of this? There were already mentioned a few possibilities, but it's still hard to imagine for me.
Ah, as for little Busters, the game release date is the 27th July, so better keep back with anime and stuff, that's how rumors get started!
But throwing away all questions and doubts, a KEY visual novels is getting animated, that's already a good reason for a party!^-^

Last edited by -Nyu-; 2007-02-24 at 05:43.
-Nyu- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-25, 07:45   Link #17
Skane
Anime Snark

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Its to good to be made into a movie.

& thats true, we shouldn't exclude the possibility of a CLANNAD TV series happening in the future.. hopefully by you know who.
Quote:

Still, that doesn't mean the CLANNAD movie will be a flop. That would be giving Toei too little credit. I'm still very much looking forward to the movie, although I fear it would be nothing but a barebone version of Nagisa's story, simply because of CLANNAD's sheer size and length. CLANNAD is longer than both Kanon and AIR combined for a reason, after all.
IF, and I stress on the "if", KyoAni ends up doing a remake of CLANNAD shortly thereafter. I am going to be really paranoid about my "Key's Conspiracy" theory.

Natch.
Old 2007-02-25, 10:09   Link #18
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Hey, I don't mind this type of a conspiracy from Key. If they get an R1 distributor on board too, that would be great.
Old 2007-02-25, 11:21   Link #19
nani
Dreamer
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity7 View Post
TOEI can either do this two ways; they can either, as Sushi-Y said, have a barebones version of Nagisa's route (would that cover both School and After stories?). Or, they could do a completely original scenario that only involves Nagisa and ties the 幻想世界 a lot more than it should be. Maybe to the point where it's more like the AIR movie was. Not saying it's bad, I haven't seen it myself, but you never know when you only have 90 minutes.
Another possibility is that the film will only cover Tomoya and Ushio's event in After Story.
Spoiler for Clannad's After Story:

Quote:
(save Fuuko's, I cried so damn hard during her ending ).
Same here, which is quite surprising.

Spoiler for Fuko:

Quote:
There is still hope. After all, Key had produced an original novel, an OST and a drama CD last year, two years after the game was released. I am hoping that the movie (if there is one) will include events in 星の人 and チルシスとアミント(the last two chapters in the novel) as epilogue to give the story a bit more closure.
nani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-25, 13:08   Link #20
Question
Crossdresser

So does anyone know how long this movie is going to be? An hour? 1.5?

Tags
bishoujo, drama, key, movie, romance, school life, seinen, toei