Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-11, 15:42   Link #121
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabata View Post
By the way, does anyone knows what accent Horo is talking in?
Apparently, its not pure "Edo period courtesan" speech (oiran kotoba) but incorporates a lot of Oosaka-ben as well. From "that translation site"'s notes concerning how to phrase her dialog in English:

Quote:
Her dialect in the novels is closer to Okayama-ben or Oosaka-ben than Edo-era Japanese. That is to say, the differences are mainly pronouns, verb endings, and gobi. She is perfectly intelligible to a modern Japanese speaker, whereas Shakespearean English is not. Hence the following conventions:
  • No contractions. "It is", "I am", and so on, will replace "It's" and "I'm". This is to represent her slightly aloof style of speech
  • No slang or colloquial phrases. While it may make sense to use common English phrases for other characters in order to get the best translation from the source, in the case of Horo, she uses very little of it to begin with, and keeping her language to well-established phrases helps instill the "sage" feeling we are going for.
Old 2009-08-11, 21:17   Link #122
Keitava

Is it just me, or anyone more think Deanna may be the child of a god deity and a human?
Old 2009-08-11, 21:29   Link #123
Intranetusa
Pedites Extraordinarii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitava View Post
Is it just me, or anyone more think Deanna may be the child of a god deity and a human?
Or a raven diety in disguise just like horo.

I hate harem shows but I'd enjoy some competition between Deanna and Horo vying for Lawerence's affection...
Old 2009-08-11, 21:34   Link #124
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intranetusa View Post
Or a raven diety in disguise just like horo.

I hate harem shows but I'd enjoy some competition between Deanna and Horo vying for Lawerence's affection...
Oddly enough, if Horo wasn't around and didn't have such a deep bond with Lawrence, I could see Deanna being a good match for him.
Old 2009-08-12, 02:44   Link #125
AlaAlba

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabata View Post
By the way, does anyone knows what accent Horo is talking in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Apparently, its not pure "Edo period courtesan" speech (oiran kotoba) but incorporates a lot of Oosaka-ben as well. From "that translation site"'s notes concerning how to phrase her dialog in English:
oosaka-ben? bleh. not even a single oosaka-ben is used by horo.

Horo's accent is an edo period courtesan speech(frankly speaking; Edo period prostitute speech- kuruwa kotoba/oiran kotoba) indeed,
Hasekura sensei made Horo's accent himself, based to accents used by characters in manga "Sakuran"(manga about Edo period prostitute) by Anno Moyoko. so it is a Hasekura sensei original.

Spoiler for horo-nese:

Last edited by AlaAlba; 2009-08-12 at 06:23.
Old 2009-08-12, 06:03   Link #126
Hopit

should episode 6 come today?
Old 2009-08-12, 07:15   Link #127
typhonsentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitava View Post
Spoiler:
Old 2009-08-12, 09:37   Link #128
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopit View Post
should episode 6 come today?
Episodes come out every Thursday, so we should have a new episode out by tomorrow.
Old 2009-08-12, 11:10   Link #129
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Episodes come out every Thursday, so we should have a new episode out by tomorrow.
Actually, episode 6 airs today.
Old 2009-08-12, 11:25   Link #130
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaAlba View Post
oosaka-ben? bleh. not even a single oosaka-ben is used by horo.

Horo's accent is an edo period courtesan speech(frankly speaking; Edo period prostitute speech- kuruwa kotoba/oiran kotoba) indeed,
Hasekura sensei made Horo's accent himself, based to accents used by characters in manga "Sakuran"(manga about Edo period prostitute) by Anno Moyoko. so it is a Hasekura sensei original.

Spoiler for horo-nese:
You should go visit the fan translation site and put in your two cents

... I actually agree with you that it is pretty much straight oiran kotoba and keigo-ish but that's based on just analyzing the first novel or so... I didn't look to see if they pointed out specific examples that were supposedly "oosaka-ben" or "okayama-ben".
Old 2009-08-16, 03:18   Link #131
FTGT

Rather late for the 5th episode. But I didnt want to watch it in a rush, so I had to wait until now.

Disadvantage: Everything important has been said already. :P
Advantage: The 6th episode awaits me right now.

I have to highlight again how brilliant the story of the novel is turned into motion. Every important aspect is there. *happy*
Old 2009-11-16, 17:08   Link #132
Velsy

I just finished watching this episode now.

I also wubbing Deanna's mysterious character, I also suspected her to be similar to Horo, But I have no real evidence to back it properly other than the feathers around her crib suggesting she could be some type of bird if I am right. Few of the posts have already noted that too I see.

I've enjoyed watching lawrence the last 3 episodes, given him major +++ points. while Horo whos currently in my top ten characters, has been receiving major negative points. Was going to wait until I finished spice and wolf before announcing my favourit character of the year. Half way thu the 3rd ep I was thinking, dam Horo has a chance at rivaling Senjougahara for that title, but at the end of episode 3 and to the current ep, I think or would say shes missed out most likely.

Even with my fall of Horo right now, Lawrence has been awesome to balance things out. If he can pull this victory out, Ima be so proud of him! I was going to say alone, but It be even more awesome if Deanna has her hand in his victory over the prince charming brat.

Donated by Om Nerabdator

Last edited by Velsy; 2009-11-16 at 17:56.
Old 2010-01-20, 21:34   Link #133
Kakisho
Just Another

Send a message via AIM to Kakisho
(yes, talking about it way after it's been out and everything)
Even though I hated Amati for everything he's done, think about it from his perspective.

Maiden is forcibly held by man and has no other relation with him.
I am in love with her and I can gain her love by freeing her with this contract.

There's like nothing wrong by everyone's Horoism sense just kicks in and says that only ホロand Lawrence can be together.

Then what if Amati doesn't amass 1000 silver? Wouldn't he just look like protagonist of story that FAILED to save the maiden from the evil villain? What if he amasses the 1000 silver and ホロ decides to rip up the contract? The entire thing could've been avoided if Lawrence just told Amati that there was no debt and that Horo was her traveling companion.

I still dislike Amati for trying at Horo, but is there really anything wrong with him at all?
(and yeah, i bet this'll be the last reply of this thread, unless anyone else is crazy enough to just start the anime and decide to forum about it).
Old 2010-01-21, 00:26   Link #134
BashZeStampeedo

Nah, not the last post.. I just rewatched the series with my local anime club, and I have to admit that the lines got blurrier the second time through. Horo is clearly not at her best this season (knowing that, I wasn't nearly as upset with her as the first time I watched it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakisho View Post
I still dislike Amati for trying at Horo, but is there really anything wrong with him at all?.
I've got nothing against him for falling for Horo. I mean, she is a pro at playing men for everything they're worth. Even Lawrence knew this, and that's why he let Amati go out with her.

But Amati's a twit, plain and simple. You can use the "he's in love" defense, but that doesn't excuse him. I mean, Lawrence is obviously even further gone for Horo, but when she's not in front of him at least he mans up and even uses whatever brains he has left.

Amati's too egotistical and sure of himself to even consider the obvious, and it's clear that he's gotten where he is in life through sheer luck, or by being a shameless opportunist.
Closed Thread