AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 04 Rating
Perfect 10 43 14.88%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 12 4.15%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 8.65%
7 out of 10 : Good 42 14.53%
6 out of 10 : Average 26 9.00%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 13 4.50%
4 out of 10 : Poor 19 6.57%
3 out of 10 : Bad 16 5.54%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 8 2.77%
1 out of 10 : Painful 85 29.41%
Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-03, 00:30   Link #201
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
There are no significant changes
If there had been significant changes you wouldn't be feeling this sensation of wasted time, desperation and dread for whatever they will put in in the same episode you are feeling. If you are feeling all of those, I'd say it is mission accomplished. Welcome to Yuki's world
Old 2009-07-03, 00:32   Link #202
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I gave the episode a "7" as a standalone score... mostly because I was unsatisfied with the animation quality. I'll save my overall score for the series to decide whether I thought the multi-episode arc was a good idea or not.
Given my personal humor, very rarely will a series get more than a 7 from me. It's just how I am, I guess, or maybe I've mellowed out in the two decades or so that I've been watching anime. Haruhi is no exception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voitan
This was a good opportunity to either end the arc and/or show us something new. This is lazy writing and none of the scenes excited me.
I'd point to relentlessflame's answer to my earlier question about the Anime Director/Scriptwriter/Episode Director. There ARE new material, but it's subtle, though inevitably inconsequential compared to the atmosphere of palpable boredom and despair in the episode.
Old 2009-07-03, 00:36   Link #203
DoraTora!

You know what? I think I actually want them to do it again next episode.

The size of the following shitstorm would almost make all this worth it.
Old 2009-07-03, 00:43   Link #204
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoraTora! View Post
You know what? I think I actually want them to do it again next episode.

The size of the following shitstorm would almost make all this worth it.

Will Kadokawa's HQ survive afterwards though?

The clock is ticking. Frankly I got frustrated, not at the repeat itself, but with KYON. I mean, seriously, what he needed to do seemed to be obvious to everyone but his bullheaded self. He just doesn't... want to do anything on his own, ne? I guess spontaeneity isn't his strong point.
Old 2009-07-03, 00:51   Link #205
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I think much of the story establishes quite clearly that Kyon is an obstinate butthead ... but some sort of strong personality is required for his fate.
Old 2009-07-03, 01:05   Link #206
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Must. Not. Make. Late-night. One-on-One. Study Session. Joke.

I noticed we're still missing a few important lines from Yuki.
Old 2009-07-03, 01:06   Link #207
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
rofl I thought I was watching the same episode again.

Judging by Yuki's count, we willh have 15000+ episodes of this to illustrate all the situations that happened. And different fan service too!

I wholeheatedly give this a 1! Well deserved.
Old 2009-07-03, 01:16   Link #208
Forever
Revealing the truth

This is the first time I ever gave a 1 to haruhi episode but this one really deserves it. This is one repeat too much.

If the next episode does not end endless eight, I am seriously considering stop watching....
Old 2009-07-03, 01:20   Link #209
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I'm so conflicted.

The same things happened with minor variations.

I should consider KyoAni lazy for this.

But they redrew practically everything. If there was any stock footage used at all, I couldn't tell.

KyoAni is clearly trolling their fans. Where's the Picard facepalm jpeg when you need it... ?
Old 2009-07-03, 01:29   Link #210
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
But they redrew practically everything. If there was any stock footage used at all, I couldn't tell.

KyoAni is clearly trolling their fans.

That's the thing, there wasn't a single bit of stock footage at all. Which makes this VERY expensive if it was just to troll viewers.

Also, what we're having here is very likely nothing compared to the firestorm going on in 2ch right now.
Old 2009-07-03, 01:31   Link #211
Ardee

Bad news, everyone - I just checked my calendar and today is June 19th. We just *think* we're being played with by KyoAni...

For those wondering about earlier time loop stories, the closest I've read is Philip Dick's "A Little Something for us Tempunauts".
Spoiler for for that story:

I for one don't mind this drawn-out approach: as a comparison, I've re-watched the 80's He-Man cartoon (aimed at 5-8 year olds) - it has some episodes that set up some really interesting scenarios that, with more time and an older audience, could be tunred into something really dramatic. But then they run out of time and have a mostly pointless deus ex machina ending. So I completely buy the idea that drawing this out is a good way to give drama to it. (when each week the world is in dire straights, how do you make one week more dire than the last?)
Old 2009-07-03, 01:33   Link #212
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Guys, just because the studio was trying to be creative doesn't mean that their creativity is well done. This episode earns a 2/10, and I have never rated a Haruhi episode below a 7/10. I'm just going to act like this episode never existed in the first place.

I find it incredibly stupid that they had to rehash the same idea all over again. We already got the point that it seems to be a hopeless situation, in which we just want to get out of this recursion of time. I suppose what really bothers me is that this offered no extra material. Even though last episode was also a recursion episode, we still got to see new things.

They do not need to animate an episode for the audience to understand that this is what has been happening over and over again.

This episode was EPIC FAIL. I didn't wait these years to see 4 or possibly more endless night episodes..............
Old 2009-07-03, 01:51   Link #213
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Still surprised that people haven't been figuratively screaming BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD yet. There's clearly disappointment (especially considering disproportionate amount of low scores given versus middling or high ones) but... I was expecting fire and brimstone. Ah.

Mmm, Yuki, what makes you tick? Why haven't you gone Hinamizawa Syndrome level 5 yet and murdered everyone? Or is your revenge for the mind-numbing repretition reserved for later in the series?
Old 2009-07-03, 01:53   Link #214
kniteowl

I actually haven't given this episode a score yet, but it's probably the worst episode of Haruhi for me yet (I'm one of those people who didn't like Episode 00, I still haven't actually completely watch that episode so I might be contradicting myself lol)... but if we were to consider that all E8 episodes were one episode then it'd probably get a higher score.

Heck I was expecting an almost an entire repeat of the previous episode, all I wanted was One Significant line of text they skiped from the short story that wasn't included last episode and I would've been happy and given it a decent score, at least that way we're actually going somewhere... although very slowly, although it'd make sense since 15,000 + iteration have already occured.

I also wondered why Kyon hasn't pointed out why Yuki isn't holding or reading a book... when she isn't occupied with something else, she ALWAYS holding a book to read that might've been a huge give away that something is definitely not right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei
Mmm, Yuki, what makes you tick? Why haven't you gone Hinamizawa Syndrome level 5 yet and murdered everyone? Or is your revenge for the mind-numbing repretition reserved for later in the series?
I assume you haven't reed the novels yet so do you want a hint to why?

Spoiler for HINT:
Old 2009-07-03, 01:56   Link #215
Jiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Frankly I got frustrated, not at the repeat itself, but with KYON. I mean, seriously, what he needed to do seemed to be obvious to everyone but his bullheaded self. He just doesn't... want to do anything on his own, ne? I guess spontaeneity isn't his strong point.
I don't usually get emotionally invested, but as a distant observer I think you've basically nailed it.

Kyon complains about Haruhi magnifying minor things to a universal scale, but it's pretty much projection on his part; at least she doesn't know her subconscious wishes are coming to fruition, but Kyon doesn't have that excuse. He's fully aware that time will keep looping and Yuki will keep suffering if he doesn't do something as simple and minor as asking her for advice (or listening to Itsuki's), but lets it continue anyway.
Old 2009-07-03, 01:57   Link #216
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Mmm, Yuki, what makes you tick? Why haven't you gone Hinamizawa Syndrome level 5 yet and murdered everyone?
That would utterly own, and be the best episode ever.
Old 2009-07-03, 01:58   Link #217
sacundim

I suspect that five years from now, this episode will be remembered as truly epic, but nobody will actually wish to watch it again...
Old 2009-07-03, 02:01   Link #218
Silent_One

Only fanboys/girls would give this episode high rating.I think this whole season has been a waste of time to watch but this episode was beyond the simple mediocracy of episode 1-3 it was downright boring I didn't even watch it all. I have never seen an anime with a good first season have such a bad second season.I hope it gets better but not much hope at this point ,its going to my when I am bored as hell watch list
Old 2009-07-03, 02:08   Link #219
Eak
One angry cloud.

Sadly, what they are doing is good for merchandise but a kick to fans who want new content.

Sadly (number 2)... guys, we've already used up what, 4 episodes now? Only 9 more episodes until another possibly long ass wait (then again, I predict maybe one or two OVA's to come out soonish). I rated it a 3/10... I am a sucker for new looks and presentation.
Old 2009-07-03, 02:08   Link #220
Jintor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
I don't usually get emotionally invested, but as a distant observer I think you've basically nailed it.

Kyon complains about Haruhi magnifying minor things to a universal scale, but it's pretty much projection on his part; at least she doesn't know her subconscious wishes are coming to fruition, but Kyon doesn't have that excuse. He's fully aware that time will keep looping and Yuki will keep suffering if he doesn't do something as simple and minor as asking her for advice (or listening to Itsuki's), but lets it continue anyway.
It's not that he's 'letting' it happen, it's that he simply doesn't take into consideration that it will help at all.
Closed Thread