Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2004-12-01, 22:29   Link #401
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Manchester United 1 : Arsenal 0
David Bellion (1)

Though inconsequential and the prize likely to be ignored by both managers, Manchester United has achieved another victory over Arsenal. This time, in a boring dull game.

Tottenham 1 : Liverpool 1
Jermain Defoe (108) : Florent Sinama Pongolle (117 pen)
Liverpool goes through 4:3 on penalties

It looks like Tottenham has another possible prize slip from their very hands. The FA Cup looks possibly to be their only route left for glory this season.
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-02, 02:54   Link #402
elniro

Send a message via MSN to elniro
Bellion scored in 18.5 seconds!!!

And looks like the arsenal juniors are going to turn out like the seniors, cheating and unprofessional scum, van persie and that diving Lupoli exemplified that, van persie should have got sent off
elniro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-07, 14:16   Link #403
7thMethuselah

Champions League Night

Today's Match-ups

Group E
Arsenal v Rosenborg
Panathinaikos v PSV

PSV is allready certain of a spot in the next round, the next ticket is for either Arsenal or Panathinaikos, if Arsenal wants to get to the next round it has to get an equal or better result than Panathinaikos. (crosses fingers they make it). The loser of these two goes to UEFA Cup

Group F
Celtic v Milan
Shakhtar v Barcelona

Nothing really interesting left in this group, both Milan and Barcelona have allready acquired the needed points for the next round. The two other teams will have to fight for that UEFA ticket

Group G
Inter Milan v Anderlecht
Valencia v Bremen

Milan is allready qualified, the other one will be Valencia or Bremen and since they are playing each other, this can be the most interesting game of the evening. Valencia needs to win here, and win good. If you watch a game tonight, pick this one, a top spanish vs a top german team with a CL Qualification on the line

Group H

Porto v Chelsea
PSG v CSKA Moskva

Chelsea just about owned everyone in this group, the second spot (and CL qualification), the UEFA ticket and disqualification are all undecided between the three other teams, gonna be a close call between progressing to the next round and being disqualified here !

On a side note : One of Belgium's greatest coaches and football experts Raymond Goethals has died yesterday . He was in charge of our national team for 10 years, obtained several titles and cups in our national competition. His greatest succes was in 1993 when he won the Champions League with Olympic Marseille by beating the almost unbeatable AC Milan.
rest in peace Raymond !
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-07, 16:28   Link #404
elniro

bleh arsenal winnin 4-1
Old 2004-12-07, 18:21   Link #405
Alexcha17
Banned

Quote:
bleh arsenal winnin 4-1
This is bullshit!!! I was expecting them to have a score of 1-4. Damn... my fave team lost. damn it!
Alexcha17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-07, 20:04   Link #406
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by elniro
bleh arsenal winnin 4-1
Lol, they won by 5-1 against Rosenborg so it's not really that big a surprise.
Some noted results : Porto beat Chelsea by 2-1 , it doesn't happen often to see Chelsea lose but the final goal fell in the last few minutes of the game. And Valencia got owned by bremen, So Bremen goes to next next round. Anderlecht lost their last game as well, damn that's 6 losses in a row I knew it'd be hard when they were in that killer group but I never expected them to do this bad , ah well at least our teams in the UEFA cup aren't doing too bad and still have all options open to qualify there.

Teams placed for the final 16

Arsenal (UK)
PSV Eindhoven (Netherlands)
AC Milan (Italy)
Barcelona (Spain)
Inter Milan (Italy)
Werder Bremen (Germany)
Chelsea (UK)
Porto (Portugal, winners of last years CL)

Manchester United (UK), Juventus(Italy), Bayern Munchen (Germany) and Lyon(France) are placed too but still have to play one more game. There are 6 candidates for the remaining 4 spots. One thing is for sure, we are gonna have some beautiful match-up after the winter breaks. Once those have been drawn I'll place my bets on the next CL winner )

Tomorrow is another interesting game day : in two groups all options are still open

Group A
Olympiacos 10
Monaco 9
Liverpool 7
Deportivo 2

Liverpool playes Olympiacos and Monaco plays Deportivo La Coruna, If Liverpool wants to qualify they need to win, with 2 goals I believe, but winning is a must. Let's hope they make it, It would be totally awesome to have 4 english teams in the final 16

Group B
Dynamo Kyiv 10
Leverkusen 8
Real Madrid 8
Roma 1

Real Madrid plays Roma and Leverkusen plays Kiev. Yes Real Madrid isn't sure yet of qualification, in fact i saw several of their games lately and I'm not impressed, for having such an awesome line-up they just can't manage to get their act together. They've been winning quite often on a few flashes of their abilities but they should be able to control the match and easilly set the opponent aside. I wonder if Beckham will remain in Madrid next year, it's almost as if he doesn't like playing there. And Owen has been playing a number of good games at Madrid but he often starts of the bench while the other offensive players aren't always that good ...

Group C and D aren't really interesting since everything is pretty much decided there.
Old 2004-12-08, 03:29   Link #407
AzureLight
I've Sound Freak

Send a message via ICQ to AzureLight Send a message via AIM to AzureLight Send a message via Yahoo to AzureLight
A question for you Dutch football fans: PSV has qualified to the second round of the Champions League for the first time ever, even though they sold a good amount of their star players. Why is this? So far the only acquisitions I've noted are veteran Philip Cocu and former Sheffield Wednesday striker Gerald Sibon.

But congratulations to PSV anyway.
AzureLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-08, 13:10   Link #408
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

Liverpool will definitely make it tonight, I have faith in Gerrard.
Old 2004-12-08, 16:02   Link #409
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenPath
Liverpool will definitely make it tonight, I have faith in Gerrard.
minute 47 : Liverpool scores and levels the score, scoring right after the break, it's still possible, difficult but possible ! Pongolle scored after being in the field for only a minute !

PS Ajax just took the lead vs Bayern Munchen, the road to the UEFA is now open to them, they just need to hang in now.

Liverpool scores a second time !!! One more to go for the qualification !!! Mellor this time in minute 80

Gerard scores in minute 86 Liverpool is now qualified, only a few more minutes left !!!!

Last edited by 7thMethuselah; 2004-12-08 at 16:32.
Old 2004-12-08, 18:49   Link #410
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

When the ball fell to the feet of a certain captain with 4 minutes remaining on the clock, there was no doubt it was going to finish at the back of the net...

Quote:
Time continued to tick away and as the clock moved onto 86 minutes Gerrard unleashed a 30-yard screamer that whistled into the far corner of the net.

Liverpool 3 - 1 Olympiacos
27' Rivaldo
47' Pongolle
80' Mellor
86' Gerrard

We've finally made it to the last 16 with Arsenal and Man U!
Old 2004-12-08, 19:28   Link #411
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenPath
Liverpool 3 - 1 Olympiacos
27' Rivaldo
47' Pongolle
80' Mellor
86' Gerrard

We've finally made it to the last 16 with Arsenal and Man U!
Yeah, it was a great game, not to mention that Pongolle and Mellor both scored after they entered as substitutes
PS You forgot Chelsea, there are 4 UK teams in the final 16

These are the final 16 in this years Champions League

4 times the UK : Arsenal - Chelsea - Liverpool - Manchester United
3 times Italy : AC Milan - Inter Milan - Juventus
3 times Germany : Bayern Munchen - Bayern Leverkusen - Werder Bremen
2 times Spain : Real Madrid - Barcelona
2 times france : Monaco - Olympique Lyon
1 times Portugal : Porto (who won the CL last year by beating Monaco in the final)
1 times the Netherlands : PSV Eindhoven (impressive!)

Once the match-up have been drawn it's time to place your bets people
Old 2004-12-09, 11:00   Link #412
elniro

Crappy man united reserve team lost, i wouldnt have minded them losing 1-0 but 3-0, thats embarassing. One of the most boring champions league matches i have ever seen

Ronaldo needs to work on his deliveries into the box along with his utter rubbish free kicks
Old 2004-12-09, 15:35   Link #413
AzureLight
I've Sound Freak

Send a message via ICQ to AzureLight Send a message via AIM to AzureLight Send a message via Yahoo to AzureLight
Mmm well, Man U needed to rest players, no matter what you say Sir Alex's decision to bring on the League Cup XI was justified... but it would also mean a potentially tough draw... we'll see on Friday who they'll be up against.
AzureLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-09, 20:21   Link #414
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

At this stage with these teams, it seems insignificant on getting first or second placing in their groups. Sir Alex was right when he quipped "It doesn't matter".
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-10, 13:28   Link #415
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
At this stage with these teams, it seems insignificant on getting first or second placing in their groups. Sir Alex was right when he quipped "It doesn't matter".
Well, he has a point but by winning the group he could have avoided the obviously strong italian teams and Barcelona. These four have made quite an impression in round one. But I agree that the remaining 16 are all very strong.
Last year a lot of the big teams got ousted fast, at least this year we can expect some very nice match-ups. The champions League is really really looking interesting this year !! Too bad we'll have to wait until february for the next games :

Ah well, UEFA Cup group phase will finish next week, I wonder if Standard Liège and Club Brugge make it to the next round . I'll be watching Liège's game for sure, they have a very cool way of playing football, they just charge towards the other teams 16 , completely ignoring defense This gives very refreshing offensive football but they take a goal on counters from time to time, I'll be supporting them
Old 2004-12-10, 13:58   Link #416
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Wow! All the time I’ve been here and I always thought this was an American football thread.

Anyway I'm a Man Utd supporter living in Liverpool lol blame my Dad.

Ok I'll start reading some posts now. Be sure to see more of me in here.
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-10, 21:52   Link #417
Sun_Tze
I pity the foo!

Send a message via MSN to Sun_Tze Send a message via Yahoo to Sun_Tze
Just a little warning:

Next Sunday is the International Toyota Cup, between the winner of the Champions League (FC Porto - Portugal) and the winner of the Libertadores Cup (Once Caldas - Colombia). Porto won this cup on 1987. Could they bring another one to Portugal, or will this cup head to South America?
Sun_Tze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-11, 03:42   Link #418
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Tze
Just a little warning:

Next Sunday is the International Toyota Cup, between the winner of the Champions League (FC Porto - Portugal) and the winner of the Libertadores Cup (Once Caldas - Colombia). Porto won this cup on 1987. Could they bring another one to Portugal, or will this cup head to South America?
If traditions are respected, the Cup will go to South America ... again
Old 2004-12-11, 15:03   Link #419
elniro

South American players are the more exciting players to watch, even though continental europe have their fair share e.g. Cristiano Ronaldo, Raul, etc
Old 2004-12-11, 16:00   Link #420
Mcdonalds

i'd have to disagree. I've tried to watch some south american football games and i find them sooooooooo boring compared to the fast high tempoed english game.
Mcdonalds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
football, soccer