AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-10-25, 17:23   Link #261
LKK

^^ I just rewatched the CR subs. Here's the sub from the 20:26 mark.

Quote:
Could you stop? Sorry, but don't call me again. I stopped playing Karuta.
I'm not qualified to say if CR's translation is a good one though. Perhaps someone better suited can judged.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-25, 17:25   Link #262
Kirarakim

I would think if Chihaya had kept in touch with Arata she would have known he had quit Karuta. So I am betting this is the first time she called.
Old 2011-10-25, 17:42   Link #263
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Some noticeable changes to the OP this week. Mainly in the long shot of the school near the end, Chihiya's now standing in front of it. Also, more action shots of her in the closing seconds, but I think that part changes every episode.

I hope the tactics, strategy and mind games of the Karuta games come more into play now that she's Class A. Her opponent this week was every bit as fast as she was, and they're all moving on the first syllable already. The competition really can't get any faster, or more intense. They'll need something else to keep the challenge level from plateauing at ep 4.

I don't think Chihiya has phoned Arata in a long time, if ever. I know she said that they'd be Class A next time they "meet", but I took that as meaning the next time they spoke. His reply sounded like he was saying "You still have this number? Please lose it.", so if she has talked to him since that day, it was quite some time ago.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-25, 22:43   Link #264
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Like how Chihaya is still childish self. Lol at the chocolate sign, Taichi must have spent a fortune. Nice to see her keepfighting and eventually win. Lol how she went and embraced Taichi after her win. Though him being there was a big support for her. Guess Taichi has to start a club with her now. Wow Arata has changed big time. Can't tell for how long he's stopped, but didn't Taichi mention something about him not being in the past tournament or something before? If its recent i think maybe he lost to someone and can't take it. If it's not recent then maybe his grandfather passed a way and he lost his love for it while grieving.
Old 2011-10-25, 23:06   Link #265
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Your getting too touchy Chihaya! Stop sending mix messages to Taichi! I really sympathize for Taichi girlfriend. What on Earth did she see in this guy and why did he even except a confession, if he's not serious about.
The XIX century called, it wants its ideas back.

Disclaimer: This sounded too close to those otaku purity ideas so it really stoke a nerve.

Good episode overall. The series keeps its strong streak. I wonder how will this affect Chihaya overall. It seems she has learned to love karuta regardless of what Wataya does, so there shouldn't be any major setbacks. Maybe.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-26, 00:02   Link #266
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

I totally didn't expect I'd enjoy watching this series as much as I am now. The interactions and relationships of the characters really just draw you in. This will be one of the few series I'm following this season.

Ep4: I really want to know why Arata decided to quit but, from the look of things, he's not happy. I also want to see the older Arata up close (and not the "flash" from the OP). I haven't read the manga, so the anime will be enjoyable and unpredictable for me.

Taichi is nice to Chihaya but he's being quite unfair to his girlfriend - hopefully he'll clear that up soon.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-26, 04:38   Link #267
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Kind of feel sorry for Taichi
Spoiler:
This was pretty much my solid thought going away from episode 4. I feel sorry for his current girlfriend in the long run.
Old 2011-10-26, 07:37   Link #268
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by .x.crii.x. View Post
Well, according to the manga, they had kept in touch. But apparently they had not called sent each other new year's cards in a year.
Interesting! So I guess that would mean he only quit within the last year? I guess I was kind of hoping it was longer than that so he would be on more equal levels with Taichi and Chihaya when he does start playing again (which I think is inevitable).

Although it's also possible Arata just never told Chihaya he quit because it hurt too much. Like others I am guessing it has something to do with his grandfather.
Old 2011-10-26, 08:57   Link #269
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
The XIX century called, it wants its ideas back.

Disclaimer: This sounded too close to those otaku purity ideas so it really stoke a nerve.
So in the 21st century, we shouldn't take romantic relationships seriously anymore, and sending mixed messages is entirely cool?

If so, maybe those 19th century ideas are worth taking another look at...

Seriously, Proto, that was a bit of an overreaction to a perfectly reasonable observation on vansonbee's part, an observation which other members here have more or less echoed.

I also feel sorry for Taichi's girlfriend. This is potentially a very bad situation for her, and she seems nice enough to me.

That being said, Taichi seems like an Ok guy as a teenager. He was a bit harsh with Chihaya early on, but I think a lot of it is that he has no desire to go back to playing karuta, so he's trying to demoralize her a bit before she gets that full head of steam up and running, which he knows from experience can be pretty overwhelming. In fact, it might already be overwhelming him a bit.

This was a good, fun, and solid episode. Chihaya's drive to win, and the close competitiveness of her final match, were displayed well. I liked the plot twist of sorts at the end pertaining to Arata.

9/10 for Episode 4.
Old 2011-10-26, 09:52   Link #270
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
So in the 21st century, we shouldn't take romantic relationships seriously anymore, and sending mixed messages is entirely cool?
Good or bad that's how the situation is at the moment. Trying to chastise an individual for what is totally normal behavior on our current society just sounds like trying to impose your own ideals on other people. If you want to preach at something then you can do it about our current moral situation instead.

Yes, he's not being nice to her girlfriend, and I totally agree with everyone there. No, it's totally normal to have casual girl(boy)friends where you don't really have to be serious about the relationship. As long as he seriously deals with the matter and cuts her off sooner rather than later I don't really see the problem. And everybody moves on with their lives.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-26, 09:55   Link #271
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Frankly I'm guessing his relationship with his girlfriend was perfectly fine until Chiyaha showed up. He probably doesn't even realise it himself yet.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-26, 10:43   Link #272
maplehurry

Quote:
Trying to chastise an individual for what is totally normal behavior on our current society just sounds like trying to impose your own ideals on other people.
No, it's called freedom of speech and having different opinion. He's not trying to legislate a law for it. People who dislike abortion but not voting to ban abortion sounds reasonable enough to me.

According to your logic, people whining about "trivial" things is also totally normal behavior atm.

Last edited by maplehurry; 2011-10-26 at 10:56.
maplehurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-26, 10:48   Link #273
sikvod00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Frankly I'm guessing his relationship with his girlfriend was perfectly fine until Chiyaha showed up. He probably doesn't even realise it himself yet.
I'm betting he doesn't realize it because he constantly denies his overwhelming feelings for Chihaya, just like he did as a kid. "I-I'm just making sure that nobody has to see your ugly mug." Suuuuureee. That crap didn't even work when they were kids because she was an adorable tomboy, but now it sounds so lame
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-26, 11:25   Link #274
Kirarakim

Actually the whole Chihaya/Taichi/Taichi's Girl Friend (does she have a name yet?) sort of reminds me of the whole Kyoko/Godai/Kozue thing from Maison Ikkoku.

Well except Arata complicates things further. Of course I could say Arata could be Mitaka except I doubt the:

Arata/Chihaya/Taichi relationship will be as clear cut as the Mitaka/Kyoko/Godai relationship was. And well it's way too early to say if Chihaya will end up with Arata or Taichi. Although I am sure a love triangle or quadrangle is inevitable.

I usually hate love triangles but I am only interested in this one because I feel both Arata and Taichi are compelling characters so I am not even sure who I will root for. I just hope Taichi's girlfriend turns out to be an interesting character in her own right because right now Chihaya has the advantage from a narrative perspective (and that is sort of boring to me).

edit: Sorry to anyone who is not familiar with Maison Ikkoku
Old 2011-10-26, 11:39   Link #275
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
I'm betting he doesn't realize it because he constantly denies his overwhelming feelings for Chihaya, just like he did as a kid. "I-I'm just making sure that nobody has to see your ugly mug." Suuuuureee. That crap didn't even work when they were kids because she was an adorable tomboy, but now it sounds so lame
It's not as if sorting out his own feelings is all he has to do - Chihaya is (in her defense, I think unwittingly) sending him very mixed signals about her own feelings. In terms of his relationships Taichi's head is spinning at the moment and I think that's totally understandable.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-26, 12:01   Link #276
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Argh! Yeah, I was right, moment Taichi's girlfriend came up, all I can think was 'URAGIRIMONO!' and I had to restrain myself from punching the screen. It didn't help that this episode showed more interest in Chihaya's part that reinforced her shock in episode 1, from what looks like jealousy when the girlfriend show up to her actions and lines that if it were any other anime, would be a fitting confession of sorts already. And if Taichi didn't get a girlfriend during middle school, I bet he would've made more progress with Chihaya already. But not only did he get a girlfriend, but he's treading dangerously in 'cheating' territory, and I feel sorry for his girlfriend.

Well, not that I can blame Taichi. Chihaya after all is the younger sister of a model, and probably grew up as beautiful as her sister if her finals enemy is of any indication. Doesn't mean I have to like what he did and what he is doing right now, but I guess it's all done for the sake of drama. :shrug:

Gah, where's Arata when you need him? Stupid bloke quit Karuta, so I guess that makes that his 'obstacle' with getting on with Chihaya. Still less irritating than Taichi's 'obstacle' with his girlfriend... >_>

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-26, 12:05   Link #277
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Certainly the mixed signals aren't helping things. Have things like throwing half her body out the window at him after winning and then saying "hey I should call Arata" . Just goes all over the place. No wonder he went out with the other girl, seems more 'stable' and considering she made the confession there isn't a doubt on her side of things. Feel bad for the girl since if the signals keep getting thrown at Taichi he's going to be pulled right back to his original feelings (he's pretty much already there as it is).

Good job though for Chihaya by winning the whole thing. Plenty of intensity helped her win out. Though it was tough last match.
Old 2011-10-26, 12:14   Link #278
sikvod00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
It's not as if sorting out his own feelings is all he has to do - Chihaya is (in her defense, I think unwittingly) sending him very mixed signals about her own feelings. In terms of his relationships Taichi's head is spinning at the moment and I think that's totally understandable.
I totally agree that's it's understandable to be confused and flustered when it comes to Chihaya. The girl is a natural beauty, has a heart of gold and a wonderful personality. Most guys would be overwhelmed by her spirit not to mention looks. It sucks that she's hopelessly unaware of her "homewrecker" potential.
But my point still stands. While it's perfectly natural and fine to be confused about your feelings for someone else outside a current relationship, there should be a minimum level of commitment. You don't have the luxury of letting those feelings linger and grow, because they can unintentionally hurt someone else. The burden is on Taichi to figure himself out, since he has the girlfriend, not Chihaya. I do like that so far the girlfriend seems nice--generic as hell, though--because it makes the viewer more sympathetic because they see foresee trouble for her care if she gets hurt. It'd be lame if the writers make her out to be some horrible person, so that it's easy for Taichi to leave if he so chooses.
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-26, 12:16   Link #279
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Good or bad that's how the situation is at the moment.
Not necessarily. Most people I knew in high school took romantic relationships seriously (and in fact some ended up marrying their high school sweethearts). That was only a decade or so ago, hardly "19th century".

There's plenty of people in the world today that take romantic relationships seriously, and expect people who enter into such a relationship with them to take it seriously as well. Taichi's girlfriend is quite possibly one such person (given the fact she's given him a pet name and all, and immediately/somewhat defensively asked about Chihaya, there's reason here to think that Taichi's girlfriend takes relationships seriously, so Taichi should as well if he's agreed to be in one with her).

Quote:
Trying to chastise an individual for what is totally normal behavior on our current society
It's not the chastisement of Tiachi that I agree with (which is why I wrote "Taichi seems like an Ok guy as a teenager"), but rather the part of how this is a bad situation for his girlfriend. His girlfriend has a right to pursue serious romantic relationships, and if she's been given the impression from Taichi that the two of them have that, then I think that's something Taichi should take into account.

Quote:
Yes, he's not being nice to her girlfriend, and I totally agree with everyone there. No, it's totally normal to have casual girl(boy)friends where you don't really have to be serious about the relationship.
That depends on what the boyfriend/girlfriend expects out of the relationship. Again, I get the sense that Taichi's girlfriend takes their relationship seriously.

If I didn't get that sense, my feelings on the matter would of course be quite different.

Quote:
As long as he seriously deals with the matter and cuts her off sooner rather than later I don't really see the problem.
Or chooses her over Chihaya. But if he does cut her off when she thought she had a nice boyfriend/girlfriend relationship here, isn't that reason enough to feel sorry for her?

Last edited by Triple_R; 2011-10-26 at 12:27.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-26, 12:26   Link #280
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I feel sorry for everyone -- and hopeful, too. Much as I love Chihaya, the fact that she seems to be frozen socially at eleven years old makes her dangerous to those around her. She runs to embrace Taichi, not considering in the least what signals she is sending. Then he is caught in the backwash when she immediately turns to thinking of Arata instead of him.

Unnamed girlfriend is the one most likely to be knocked into the ditch, and I really hated Taichi's immediate confession to Chihaya that he really didn't love the GF. But he too is immature, and far more confused at this point than single-minded, romance-deaf Chihaya.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
josei, karuta, madhouse