AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2018-10-24, 23:50   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 922 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Last time, Kaidou finally revealed himself in front of Luffy and co. What will happen next? Let's find out. Credit goes to AP's Redon and ScotchInformer for the info + pics:

-Chapter title is "Hundred Beast Pirates Governor-General Kaidou". Splash features Koala, who's training with the Kung Fu Dugongs.

-Momonosuke is worried upon seeing Kaidou in his dragon form. As for Law, he reports to Kinemon that their enemies are already aware of the identities of himself, Luffy, and Zoro. Furthermore, Kaidou's targets are those who ruined his SMILE dealings with Doflamingo, so thankfully, this won't affect Kinemon's plans for revolution. However, out of concern for the fact that dragon-form Kaidou is hovering above Okobore Town, Luffy rushes to the village on his own! An irritated Law chases after him to stop him from further complicating the situation. As for Kinemon and Okiku, they decide to descend the mountain together in order to rescue the former's wife, Otsuru.

-Back in town, the villagers and bandits alike panic upon seeing Kaidou. Interestingly, the dragon, upon laying eyes on Shutenmaru, says he remembers him. The bandit leader himself also recalls facing a dragon in the past. However, at the moment, it turns out that Kaidou is drunk, and offers to forgive Shutenmaru of any past enmities if he becomes his subordinate. Jack is worried about the possibility of his master going on a drunken rampage, as the villagers count as the labor force of the factories, but it's at this point that Hawkins steps in. He tells Kaidou that Luffy and Law are most likely hiding in Oden Castle, and as the structure in question is an object of trepidation for Shogun Orochi as well, perhaps destroying it would count as killing two birds with one stone.....

-Soon, the Yonkou makes a beeline for the castle! As Nami and the rest prepare to evacuate, the huge dragon unleashes a powerful breath attack that leaves the ruins in even further devastation! Both Jack and Hawkins are in awe of Kaidou's incredible might, but at this point, a figure appears above the dragon, unleashing an Elephant Gun on his unsuspecting noggin! It's none other than Luffy, who's naturally enraged that Kaidou just attacked his companions.....!!!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2018-10-25 at 15:44.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-25, 00:06   Link #2
WyrdMonger

Luffy has planet size balls.
WyrdMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-25, 07:16   Link #3
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Doesn't look like the attack fazes Kaido much.
Old 2018-10-25, 08:52   Link #4
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

so i'm assuming luffy will get a power up of some sort in this wano arc? there's no way he can fight kaidou right now...

the thing about one piece is the characters get power ups during the arc (ie: enies lobby, wci), which i find kinda "hard to believe"... even in one piece's world... it looks like the same thing will happen here...

i know i know... some of you might disagree with me but it still doesn't sit well with me that, for example, during the fight with katakuri luffy suddenly gain the ability to see the future like his opponent... i guess i expect a character to go through strict training to achieve a higher level instead of it happening during a fight or through a short amount of time...

i doubt anymore time skip will happen so i should expect more "level ups" in this format from our heroes as the story progresses...
Old 2018-10-25, 10:16   Link #5
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post
so i'm assuming luffy will get a power up of some sort in this wano arc? there's no way he can fight kaidou right now...

the thing about one piece is the characters get power ups during the arc (ie: enies lobby, wci), which i find kinda "hard to believe"... even in one piece's world... it looks like the same thing will happen here...

i know i know... some of you might disagree with me but it still doesn't sit well with me that, for example, during the fight with katakuri luffy suddenly gain the ability to see the future like his opponent... i guess i expect a character to go through strict training to achieve a higher level instead of it happening during a fight or through a short amount of time...

i doubt anymore time skip will happen so i should expect more "level ups" in this format from our heroes as the story progresses...
There comes a point where training will only take you so far. Rayleigh said that one's haki gets more powerful through real battles of survival. And while there's still a fair amount of story material to cover, we are reaching towards the end point. The strawhats should be able to take care of themselves by now. They may not be the strongest, but they'll have to find ways to best their enemies.
Old 2018-10-25, 11:05   Link #6
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

It's too soon for Luffy to fight Kaidou, so the fight will get broken off one way or another. Luffy could escape after seeing his friends are fine, with Kaidou letting him go because he's too drunk.
Old 2018-10-25, 11:43   Link #7
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Of course, the arc just started. I was talking in a general sense for the grand scheme of things. Real combat experience is what will propel the strawhats to the top in this era.

Last edited by Blackbeard D. Kuma; 2018-10-25 at 12:01.
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-25, 13:01   Link #8
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Of course, the arc just started. I was talking in a general sense for the grand scheme of things. Real combat experience is what will propel the strawhats to the top in this era.
I actually wasn't replying to you, just posing my thoughts after reading the spoilers.

For what it's worth I agree with you. One Piece has never been big on training arcs in the first place, most of the training Luffy and the others ever did happened off-panel. Oda did a timeskip in order to make the Straw Hats' growth more believable, but now that Luffy has hit his limits, the only way for him to get stronger is to keep fighting strong opponents. As you said, this was established by Rayleigh. I can understand why people would value training over this approach though.
Old 2018-10-25, 15:10   Link #9
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I actually wasn't replying to you, just posing my thoughts after reading the spoilers.

For what it's worth I agree with you. One Piece has never been big on training arcs in the first place, most of the training Luffy and the others ever did happened off-panel. Oda did a timeskip in order to make the Straw Hats' growth more believable, but now that Luffy has hit his limits, the only way for him to get stronger is to keep fighting strong opponents. As you said, this was established by Rayleigh. I can understand why people would value training over this approach though.
Watching a protagonist train every single time before every big fight can be boring for some. They would rather the MC go straight to the action than getting bogged down by training arc after training arc. No wonder OP Isekai MCs are very popular these days, they don't need to train ever.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-25, 16:07   Link #10
marvelB

Updated the OP with a couple pics + splash info! Huh, that flashback panel of Shutenmaru's looks rather interesting.... is that silhouette supposed to be Oden? Or maybe one of the lost allies Kinemon is searching for....?

Anyway, back to the other discussion, I'm pretty much with BDK. Training is all well and good, but even that has its limits. It's gonna take actual combat experience to break those barriers.... a "baptism" of sorts, if you will. As was also noted, Rayleigh even told Luffy as such during the training flashbacks. That's why I'm not expecting any more time skips to occur any time soon..... any further growth Luffy and co. will experience will take place over the course of their journey (like how Usopp awakened his observation haki at Dressrosa, to use a non-Luffy example).

Now, going back to Kaidou.... I think it's dead obvious Luffy's no match for him at the moment. However, thanks to his intoxicated state, I think it's safe to say that the beast king is currently as good as "nerfed" for the time being (sorta similar to how Big Mom literally starved herself thin during the previous arc). I can easily see the rest of the crew surviving his attack due to his aim being off while drunk or something like that. Maybe Luffy will exchange another blow or two with Kaidou next chapter, but this fight definitely won't last much longer. My guess is that Law will warp him to safety with his room or something before Kaidou truly gets pissed off.....
Old 2018-10-25, 18:21   Link #11
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

About Luffy and Kaidou, I very much doubt Luffy will fight him alone, so he doesn't need an enormous power up. He'll most likely deal the finishing blow, but my guess is that the main battle will be supernovas (Luffy, Law and Kidd at the very least) vs Kaidou.
Old 2018-10-25, 19:41   Link #12
Rainbowman

Going on a drunk rampage is not exactly the kind of excuse Luffy would accept.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-25, 20:33   Link #13
cyberdemon

Quote:
It's too soon for Luffy to fight Kaidou, so the fight will get broken off one way or another. Luffy could escape after seeing his friends are fine, with Kaidou letting him go because he's too drunk.
Or they're forced to flee because big mom shows up. Like maybe he is actually winning the fight and Big Mom joins in forcing them to flee

Last edited by cyberdemon; 2018-10-25 at 20:47.
cyberdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-25, 21:36   Link #14
grecefar

I just can't help to shake my head and laugh of luffy actions some times. lol
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-26, 03:45   Link #15
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
This is absolutely insane. Part of me thinks Luffy will get captured. Maybe a way for him to meet up with Kidd? Not that that was his plan though, lol. The question is what Law is going to do now, but also how the team managed to dodge that bullet.
Old 2018-10-26, 03:50   Link #16
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

this arc is going even faster than Big Mom's arc

I guess Kaidou will forget everything when he sobered up after beating Luffy up
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-26, 03:52   Link #17
TURI123456

Quote:
About Luffy and Kaidou, I very much doubt Luffy will fight him alone, so he doesn't need an enormous power up. He'll most likely deal the finishing blow, but my guess is that the main battle will be supernovas (Luffy, Law and Kidd at the very least) vs Kaidou.
I don't think so in One Piece the main battle is one vs one so I think the main battle her be Luffy vs Kaido one vs one.
TURI123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-26, 07:59   Link #18
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURI123456 View Post
I don't think so in One Piece the main battle is one vs one so I think the main battle her be Luffy vs Kaido one vs one.
That's not entirely true. We've had team battles before (off the top of my head I can think of the Straw-Hats vs. zombie Oars at Thriller Bark, the crew vs. that one PX bot at Sabaody, and heck, even the majority of the Doflamingo battle involved Luffy and Law working together (or heck, the entire island of Dressrosa if you count their efforts to stop the Birdcage)). So yeah, I don't find it implausible at all for Luffy to team up with several powerful allies to take down Kaidou.
Old 2018-10-26, 08:16   Link #19
Theia_Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
That's not entirely true. We've had team battles before (off the top of my head I can think of the Straw-Hats vs. zombie Oars at Thriller Bark, the crew vs. that one PX bot at Sabaody, and heck, even the majority of the Doflamingo battle involved Luffy and Law working together (or heck, the entire island of Dressrosa if you count their efforts to stop the Birdcage)). So yeah, I don't find it implausible at all for Luffy to team up with several powerful allies to take down Kaidou.
There was also when Big Mom boarded the Sunny and had gotten several blows from Nami and Jinbei at the least back in the climax of the Totto Land Arc. Besides, this is a manga about pirates. And since when have pirates been known to "play fair" and do one-on-one fights? Crocodile said it himself back in Alabasta that "unfair" doesn't exist for pirates.

Also, it seems like Jack referred to his boss in one translation as "insane"... which is rich coming from him.
Theia_Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-26, 09:46   Link #20
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

on those last panels does it seem like the punch hurt kaido?
there's some writing there that's not translated