Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2010-12-10, 16:36   Link #8941
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh_nubkilr View Post
Another editor has since changed it to being able to do some damage on the ELS planetoid's surface.
That was me.
Old 2010-12-10, 19:52   Link #8942
teh_nubkilr
*IT Support

I see you're also a member here I personally love TvTropes for the environment. On that note, I don't think that much damage was done to the surface, as it appears to have been deflected by the GN field. However, if anything, it is a testament to the sword's power, if it was able to generate a beam powerful enough to affect the surface despite the presence of a GN Field powerful enough to stop the super laser from the CB Mothership.
teh_nubkilr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-10, 22:24   Link #8943
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
I see you're also a member here I personally love TvTropes for the environment.
I love it for the fun.

Quote:
On that note, I don't think that much damage was done to the surface, as it appears to have been deflected by the GN field. However, if anything, it is a testament to the sword's power, if it was able to generate a beam powerful enough to affect the surface despite the presence of a GN Field powerful enough to stop the super laser from the CB Mothership.
Yeah it clearly did damage, but my question is whether that closing gap Graham kamikazed into was the damage from the 00Q being healed, or another area away from the damage and the sword didn't really do much?
Old 2010-12-11, 00:25   Link #8944
teh_nubkilr
*IT Support

We'll have to wait for the Blu-ray release to find out. I barely remember the exact details from when I first saw it. All I recall is the blade impacting the surface and smoke coming out, after which Graham plunged his Brave into the planetoid. Perhaps having the movie easily accessible will make that more easy to determine.
Old 2010-12-11, 13:37   Link #8945
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
We'll have to wait for the Blu-ray release to find out. I barely remember the exact details from when I first saw it. All I recall is the blade impacting the surface and smoke coming out, after which Graham plunged his Brave into the planetoid. Perhaps having the movie easily accessible will make that more easy to determine.
The main reason I point this out is, if that was the damage from the 00Q being repaired, why didn't Graham's opening heal up so quickly?
Old 2010-12-11, 16:43   Link #8946
teh_nubkilr
*IT Support

It's possible that the ELS follow conventional rules regarding their organic structure (i.e. areas that were previously injured are susceptible to further injury). This is the case in carbon based life forms, since the repair mechanisms wouldn't have allowed for the full recovery of the region: follow trauma to a site, the organism's main priority is to close the gap and perform repairs on the tissues, I imagine that since the area was already weakened, it would be simpler for an overloading Brave to generate an explosion of sufficient power to damage even the repair mechanisms, thus creating the hole to allow Setsuna to pass through.

Of course, this is merely speculation, as I cannot really draw analogues between carbon-based and metal-based lifeforms. However, it could explain what happened there
Old 2010-12-11, 20:30   Link #8947
GundamFan

Quote:
It's possible that the ELS follow conventional rules regarding their organic structure (i.e. areas that were previously injured are susceptible to further injury). This is the case in carbon based life forms, since the repair mechanisms wouldn't have allowed for the full recovery of the region: follow trauma to a site, the organism's main priority is to close the gap and perform repairs on the tissues, I imagine that since the area was already weakened, it would be simpler for an overloading Brave to generate an explosion of sufficient power to damage even the repair mechanisms, thus creating the hole to allow Setsuna to pass through.

Of course, this is merely speculation, as I cannot really draw analogues between carbon-based and metal-based lifeforms. However, it could explain what happened there
It's possible I suppose but who knows how likely it is since we don't know how well the ELS rebuild there bodies. Also ELS bodies natural form have some commonalty with mercury or galluim based metals I don't suppose with have metallurgist on the board or someone from another field who deals with those elements or metals largely made of them?
GundamFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-11, 21:12   Link #8948
teh_nubkilr
*IT Support

I'm strictly a bioinformatian, but I have some background in inorganic chemistry. To my knowledge, neither of those metals would be good for forming the basis of a life-form due to their physical properties. All Earth-based life forms are carbon based because carbon has the remarkable property of catenation into stable long-chain molecules. Other atoms can do this, but under most conditions (i.e. standard temperature), do not form stable polymers.

From the looks of it, it is most likely that the ELS are silicon-based. Unlike mercury and gallium, silicon has a higher melting point, which would make it the preferred choice for interstellar travel for an organic life form (although in itself, we do not actually use silicon as material for our spacecraft because of its limitations!). Silicon is also is harder than gallium (the former has a Mohs hardness of 7, and the latter has a hardness of 1.5), which is more consistent with what we saw with the ELS, especially when it came to how the crystals moved and grew. Finally, silicon can exhibit some of the bonding properties of carbon (with respect to hybridization), which makes it a more probable base element for them. However, the fiction side still stands, and it is entirely possible that the ELS may be made of an alloy of any of these elements, or even be a completely different material altogether.
Old 2010-12-11, 21:16   Link #8949
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

I seem to remember hearing someone say that ammonia was actually a good compound for alternate lifeforms to form from. Is that true?
Old 2010-12-12, 11:38   Link #8950
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
It makes me wonder though, whether ELS actually can adopt the actual material of their copy? Because for them to keep their effectiveness, they pretty sounds like they can and have to. Like the armor of most MS are E-Carbon and they are effective because of the material they are made from.

So I wonder........whether the ELS can actually modify their material to fit whatever it is their adopting? It's certainly a useful property to have for a shapeshifter even if their base material is some type of metal. Assuming that they adopt the full exact stats/ability of their forms, it seems quite crucial IMO.

I have almost 0 knowledge on chemistry, but I know that they are a lot of small stuff on different levels that make up things that eventually make up materials. So it's possible the ELS have had an ability or trait that allow them to shift that material type by manipulating the most bases of bases of based to get to a specific material for a specific part of a specific machine.

If they couldnt do this, then their copied forms would retain many weaknesses since they're all designed with specific materials on each part for specific functions. If the ELS cannot adapt this, then the design would falter.

Essentially, I'm suggesting that the ELS may have a base material in some metal for some preferred reason but possess the ability to manipulate material beyond metals which comes very handy for a shapeshifter. This "ability" may be the core of their shapeshifting ability.

How they do it scientifically is a different matter. the way they go through evolution may be completely different than we do, even far more than what our scientific knowledge could easily grasp ATM.
Old 2010-12-12, 12:26   Link #8951
GundamFan

Quote:
I'm strictly a bioinformatian, but I have some background in inorganic chemistry. To my knowledge, neither of those metals would be good for forming the basis of a life-form due to their physical properties. All Earth-based life forms are carbon based because carbon has the remarkable property of catenation into stable long-chain molecules. Other atoms can do this, but under most conditions (i.e. standard temperature), do not form stable polymers.

From the looks of it, it is most likely that the ELS are silicon-based. Unlike mercury and gallium, silicon has a higher melting point, which would make it the preferred choice for interstellar travel for an organic life form (although in itself, we do not actually use silicon as material for our spacecraft because of its limitations!). Silicon is also is harder than gallium (the former has a Mohs hardness of 7, and the latter has a hardness of 1.5), which is more consistent with what we saw with the ELS, especially when it came to how the crystals moved and grew. Finally, silicon can exhibit some of the bonding properties of carbon (with respect to hybridization), which makes it a more probable base element for them. However, the fiction side still stands, and it is entirely possible that the ELS may be made of an alloy of any of these elements, or even be a completely different material altogether.
Well your much better at it then me my background is as accounting/it I did do a little reading though on the subject also silcon is a metalloid so that would help account for what we have read about them being living metal although it doesn't explain anything else. Something this alien though I would be surprised if there aren't at least a 3 unknown elements in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
I seem to remember hearing someone say that ammonia was actually a good compound for alternate lifeforms to form from. Is that true?
It's one theory but I don't it would work for something like the ELS though which are metal based.
GundamFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-12, 12:32   Link #8952
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

It may be a special metal that is beyond our grasp, just like GN Particles is a special particle that we have no idea what type of particle it is yet. (or whether it may qualify as a special particle in it's own right) And among the two, the ELS beings seems far more capable by far to have the properties to allow them such versatility.
Old 2010-12-13, 06:12   Link #8953
RES-01 Perses Gundam
A Contradiction Beneath

To be precise, maybe quantum physics?

Also, we need to consider the properties of the ELS that attract them to quantum brainwaves. Silicon, being in the same group as carbon, and having similar properties, could be a good choice.

Also, responding to SonicSP, do you mean arranging the subatomic particles? Like manipulating the protons, neutrons and electrons through alpha, beta decays and whatever?
RES-01 Perses Gundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-13, 12:45   Link #8954
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Something like that I guess.
Old 2010-12-14, 04:06   Link #8955
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Hey Sonic, found this on Gundam Wiki in the GN Drive article:

Quote:
Fifty years later, AD 2364, true GN Drive technology has been mastered by the ESF. It was never clarified whether CB released this technology or if the ESF merely closed the technology gap. Circumstantial evidence suggests that CB and the ESF reconciled and shared data on the development of GN Drive technology. Data about the new generation of mass-produced GN Drives is unknown, it's only presumed that the drives are more powerful and more efficient than its predecessors.
Is there anything supporting this or is it just fan theory?
Old 2010-12-14, 04:32   Link #8956
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Seems like just a fan theory to me.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-14, 07:47   Link #8957
v717

Electromagnetic Rail gun

Electromagnetic Rail gun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BfU-...layer_embedded

Weapon for a future gundam

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...iles-away.html
v717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-14, 09:50   Link #8958
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
Hey Sonic, found this on Gundam Wiki in the GN Drive article:

Is there anything supporting this or is it just fan theory?
No.......there isnt. I mean some stuff will always be close to plausible speculation but it's not a confirmed fact like the first line says.

Sigh..........I take my eyes off for one second and this happens. I swear that wasnt there before, this is relatively new edit.

Hmmm, some of us here have come to that conclusion before but there really isnt anything much to support it as far as I remember. This will take some analysing of the epilogue scene of the movie, something I cannot do I'm afraid. If there are any green particles all over the place then it may help. I wont delete the info though, because a lot of it is written in a speculative matter, though I have an issue with the first line that states it like a fact, the rest are just conjenture which I actually accept in some cases since there is always a need for speculative info on some occasion as long as it's explicitely written as such and not written like a fact.

Would be nice if any of you could check out the scene for me and see if there are any signs. I cant access the video.
Old 2010-12-14, 13:44   Link #8959
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSP View Post
Would be nice if any of you could check out the scene for me and see if there are any signs. I cant access the video.
I went back and re-watched the video. There were no signs of any GN Particles being emitted at all, despite the "sound" that signifies the Drive is in use. Granted, it could just be the low quality of the video.
Old 2010-12-14, 16:16   Link #8960
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by v717 View Post
Next in line is the Hellion!
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote