AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-07-07, 21:12   Link #1521
night_sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestaki View Post

I don't discount the possibility Saki was kingmaking as well as getting +/-0, since right now she's basically utterly inscrutable to the audience but clearly in control of the entire game. We haven't heard her inner monologue in god knows how long.
It would be nice to actually know Saki's thoughts right now. Her thought bubble is very scarce since we stepped in the national arc of the manga. It doesn't help Saki's action is very ambiguous. In fact, right now I'd trade all of the other characters' thought bubbles for a glimpse of Saki's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajis View Post
Yeah, just what's been going on inside her head lately? The smile she showed at panel 12 after giving her thanks for the game is kind of off... it's like her mind came from "I must defeat them all to meet Teru-neechan" to "I must defeat them fast to find a washroom." and the way she set off at the last panel is like she seriously need to use the washroom...
I haven't noticed it much since Saki is such a subdued character. But now that I'm actively looking for it starting from the national arc, Saki has been acting incredibly off.

One of the first indications is Saki is not sightseeing like everyone else and doing much bonding. As seen in the manga wherein everyone has a panel showing them having fun in Tokyo, Saki is conspicuously missing from the panels. And as seen in Achiga, Saki pretty much declines an invitation to go out to do some brooding near the washing machine. Which is very out of character thing for Saki to do since she likes going out with her friends as seen in the original series.

Saki has also been actively avoiding watching any games that Teru or Teru's team is playing. She went out in the manga to read a book while everyone watches Shiraitodai's match and in Achiga she stayed alone outside in the courtyard than enter the building where the semi-final is being held.

And then there is the iconic "defeat them all declaration", Saki just saw the result of the lottery to which team will fight with whom. And from Saki's reaction, her first thought is probably where is oneechan's school and how do I get there variety.

From this, I think Saki is very off-balance right now and probably being obsessive with her goal considering it is so close. Just one train ride or bus ride and Saki can actually talk to Teru who is Saki's primary reason for getting in Mahjong and being in the tournament in the first place. But, Saki also knows that if she meets Teru right now the reception she's going to get would be chillier than a blizzard. For Saki, having her goal so close and yet so far away must be a untenable position to be in to put it mildly.

So its not out of the question that Saki is falling into old habits like +/-0 since this is a very stressful situation for her and old habits die hard. Then, Teru is very near and probably providing familiar stimulus may not be helping matters.

Truthfully, after some thoughts I'm actually happy that they haven't erased this aspect of Saki since according to the manga she did play +/-0 starting when she was six. A habit like that must already be deeply ingrained in Saki's subconscious and would be very hard to kick and depending on which school of psychology you subscribe into this habit may be impossible to totally erase actually.
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 21:49   Link #1522
NeutralZero

So someone should smack some sense into her once more... but who? where? and when?
Don't think Nodoka can do it anymore...
Got a bad feeling that they'll lose the team tournament...
But wasn't in the anime at least in the single tournament Saki was consciously doing the +/- 0?

Last edited by NeutralZero; 2012-07-07 at 22:32. Reason: add ons... re-arange...
NeutralZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 21:55   Link #1523
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZero View Post
But wasn't in the anime at least in the single tournament Saki was consciously doing the +/- 0?
Yes, she was, but it was more to give Hisa a chance to get a slot than anything else. When Nodoka calls her out on this, she goes back to trying to win, which in the process knocks Hisa out of 3rd place.
Old 2012-07-07, 22:07   Link #1524
King-Slayer

Spoiler for pic:

Maybe she was talking about the first day?
King-Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 22:39   Link #1525
orangejuicetang

Rereading the chapter, wow I actually felt real bad for Toyone.

Almost to the point where I want to see Teru crush Saki in a maybe exhibition game before the tournament, although unlikely.

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 22:46   Link #1526
NeutralZero

Really unlikely... since their position is different...
Old 2012-07-07, 22:53   Link #1527
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
Almost to the point where I want to see Teru crush Saki in a maybe exhibition game before the tournament, although unlikely.
Sadly, the only real way that Saki can play her sister face-to-face is in the Individuals, and given how some readers view the Individuals (which was mostly anime-only except for the end result), well, it's why we keep on getting people who want to see the two play each other despite the fact that it's been hammered in repeatedly that they can't, due to being in different positions. The best way for Saki to make a point to her sister without facing her directly is to completely crush Shiraitodai, without any -/+ 0 shenanigans.
Old 2012-07-07, 23:06   Link #1528
orangejuicetang

Quote:
Really unlikely... since their position is different...
That's why I said 'exhibition'. As in, not the official tournament match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Sadly, the only real way that Saki can play her sister face-to-face is in the Individuals, and given how some readers view the Individuals (which was mostly anime-only except for the end result), well, it's why we keep on getting people who want to see the two play each other despite the fact that it's been hammered in repeatedly that they can't, due to being in different positions. The best way for Saki to make a point to her sister without facing her directly is to completely crush Shiraitodai, without any -/+ 0 shenanigans.
I do need to ask again, do we even know if Teru's in the individual tournament?

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 23:08   Link #1529
NeutralZero

Why not just have her team lose before she could face Teru's team...
that would really crush Saki...
Old 2012-07-07, 23:11   Link #1530
NeutralZero

Teru is in the individual match and she's the reigning champion... if we're not mistaken...
Old 2012-07-07, 23:24   Link #1531
The Green One

Quote:
Why not just have her team lose before she could face Teru's team...
that would really crush Saki...
Because the previews of the nationals from the anime would make absolutely no sense. Not to mention make the series end pointlessly.
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 23:32   Link #1532
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
I do need to ask again, do we even know if Teru's in the individual tournament?
Teru is ranked 1 in the Individuals, followed by rank 2 Arakawa Kei and rank 3 Tsujigaito Satoha (the only Japanese player of Rinkai). It's one of the two reasons (the other being that her school is the reigning top dog in the country) she's called "Champion".

Also Shiraitodai in the finals is a lock, as everything in the narrative points to them being the final "boss" as it were. As mentioned, we already saw Yuuki hit by Teru's demon mirror (followed by the 9 Lanterns, which has a scary implication in itself, as it means that Teru's consecutive runs weren't stopped), so it's not a matter of "if" anymore, but WHEN.
Old 2012-07-07, 23:57   Link #1533
The Green One

I wonder how deep the hole Yuki will end up in. It'll be interesting to see how she survives the match. Maybe something from her games with Saki will help her. Though considering how long these matches tend to take it's a long way away from that kind of speculation.
Old 2012-07-08, 00:33   Link #1534
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
I wonder how deep the hole Yuki will end up in.
If one of the other girls with her during the vanguard is Kuro (who might not have her dora magnet back by then), then it's going to be a very deep one for everyone concerned. It all boils down to what the last girl in the table can bring to mitigate the mahjong rape train that is Miyanaga Teru.
Old 2012-07-08, 00:51   Link #1535
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
If one of the other girls with her during the vanguard is Kuro (who might not have her dora magnet back by then), then it's going to be a very deep one for everyone concerned. It all boils down to what the last girl in the table can bring to mitigate the mahjong rape train that is Miyanaga Teru.
If the dora magnet's backfire cooldown needs some rounds, then it has to be the training sessions. At least by then, the dora magnet cooldown will be 0, but then, Teru would have known her fatal mistake in using the mirror skill against Kuro, so Teru might not be using it against her as if the skill gets back by then, who knows what stunts she may pull again.(Thats Teru's fatal flaw in her ability, that is reading the others' abilities.)
Old 2012-07-08, 01:08   Link #1536
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarletknive View Post
If the dora magnet's backfire cooldown needs some rounds, then it has to be the training sessions. At least by then, the dora magnet cooldown will be 0, but then, Teru would have known her fatal mistake in using the mirror skill against Kuro, so Teru might not be using it against her as if the skill gets back by then, who knows what stunts she may pull again.(Thats Teru's fatal flaw in her ability, that is reading the others' abilities.)
There's no reason for Teru to hold back on using her mirror against Kuro.

The only reason that she dealt into that ron from Kuro is that her mirror determined that it would be greatly unlikely for Kuro to discard a dora as she was back then. It was her character development that saved her back then, but if they face each other again in the finals, the mirror's reading should calibrate itself accordingly.

The way I see it, Teru's Shoumakyou serves to imprint the souls of her opponents on its surface, so it shouldn't be so easy to escape from.
Old 2012-07-08, 02:08   Link #1537
The Green One

Yes the same strategy would be nowhere near as effective as Teru will be watching for it now. If it is indeed Kuro attending it may come down to if she's no longer a one trick pony or not, and who the mystery fourth school turns out to be.
Old 2012-07-08, 03:02   Link #1538
Marina2

Kuro, Yuki and 4th school (Which is now may not be Rinkai...since Saki may make them lose at semi-final and bring the weakest school with Kiyosumi insted) will have to help each other to fight Teru. That will happen.

Kuro can drop out Dora right now. Her playstyle now should be more flexible and more comfortable to help other player. About negative effect that Dora won't come to her for a while if she drop Dora..I think author can easily come up with something like [Kuro can get over herself now and dora will still come to her even she drops them out!!].

Anyway, In final round, Kuro should somehow get a lot better than semi-final with playstyle change.

.................................................. .......

I have been thinking about this a lot. If Teru know Yuki is from Kiyosumi, Teru may aim to make Kiyosumi point become 0. Who know how much suffer Yuki has to endure?. Teru may even try to manipulate Yuki to deal into Kuro high point hand - -'' . Now, thats will be scary!
Old 2012-07-08, 03:20   Link #1539
uis

Seriously if Rinkai don't go to final who will gonna stop Teru...

Satoha is no. 3rd in japan after all and she fight Teru and Kei in individual last year...

I dont see Kuro or Yuuki doing decent to Teru... even Yuuki get ronned by sanbaiman with Jindai...

Kuro lost her dora and make Teru will get more easy win next time except *hurrdurr my powerlevel increase so dora coming back to me*

-It is okay if you are weak. I will grab your hand and realize your dream-
uis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-08, 04:38   Link #1540
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by uis View Post
Seriously if Rinkai don't go to final who will gonna stop Teru...

Satoha is no. 3rd in japan after all and she fight Teru and Kei in individual last year...

I dont see Kuro or Yuuki doing decent to Teru... even Yuuki get ronned by sanbaiman with Jindai...

Kuro lost her dora and make Teru will get more easy win next time except *hurrdurr my powerlevel increase so dora coming back to me*
Like I said before, if Kuro can't get Dora for a few rounds, then the Achigas must try to have more training before the finals so that Kuro can get back the Dora before the finals.

Also, having dora does make Teru easier to make her hand easily, but there is a need to consider some unneeded doras.

Example: If Teru has sanbaiman in that round, the next one is a yakuman. To make a Yakuman without a dora, it must have a 6 han chinitsu hand, tanyao, pinfu, riichi ippatsu, ryan pei kou and hmm... I need 1 more yaku... So with dora in place, she can just get a chinitsu, tanyao, dora 6

For course, to defeat Teru, cooperation is needed, and also a person whose skill is unpredictable.(Beginner's luck may be used here, as a newbie can get yakuman easily. But the hand has to be at least iishanten then can beat Teru. If anywhere further than that, Teru can win fast.)

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri