Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2013-07-17, 08:44   Link #841
Log
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsie View Post
Yes.

As for IS's similarity with 魔技科の剣士と召唤魔王, I just don't see it. Yes there is magic/tech, world domination, school setting, harem but that's about it. Not to mention the latter has a sword and magic faction. When you add in the 72 Devils, things start to really stray off from IS.

As for IS, I personally believe 学戦都市アスタリスク (Gakusen Toshi Asterisk) is a almost a mirror copy of IS. Much more than the aforementioned series.
Well yeah, Gakusen Toshi Asterisk copy's IS to the point where it almost seems like a fanfic of IS. Hell even the art looks similar (without factoring in the change in IS vol 8). It's sorta hard to get any closer then that.

For 魔技科の剣士と召唤魔王 I worded it badly. Instead of background I should use the word synopsis. The background is admittedly quite different.

Let me make a comparison.

Spoiler for IS synopsis taken directly from the wiki:

Spoiler for 魔技科の剣士と召唤魔王 synopsis made by me:

If you just read 魔技科の剣士と召唤魔王 synopsis you'll think, oh hey a IS with a twist to it. You won't think Campione!, Strike the Blood, or Successor to the Sword Saint because without reading it you won't know about most of it's in story details.

This doesn't mean that I think it's like IS once you get into it. Take note that in the previous post I did acknowledge that once you start reading it, it'll sound closer to the one's you mentioned.

Anyways I realize that our discussion doesn't really belong in this thread. If you want to continue feel free to VM me or something.

To get this thread back on track I have another recommendation: Tsukumodo Antique Shop for those that enjoy more dark stories.

It's complete and two volumes are already available at Baka Tsuki (with a third volume incoming). The chinese translations has all seven volumes.

Spoiler for review:
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-17, 10:57   Link #842
rickiminato

anyone know the light novel mahou sensou?
Old 2013-07-17, 11:12   Link #843
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike211 View Post
I have recently finish with reading HO and now I have nothing to read.
While waiting for new vols for to be translated or be released, I have been conflicted on what I should read next.

which 1 should I read next?

1 - Hidan no Aria
2 - IS
3 - C3
4 - LN you would recommend to me.
C^3 beats the first 2 by far
Old 2013-07-17, 13:15   Link #844
blackwhite67
Banned

Gakuen Toshi Asterisk is similar to IS only in the art, the school setting, and the harem, but that's it.

As for 魔技科の剣士と召唤魔王, Log, can you at tell us who the god is that chose our MC as a summoner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickiminato View Post
anyone know the light novel mahou sensou?
Oh! Thanks for that! I looked it up online and realized it was a series I passed over because no one was translating. I loved it at first glance, but since no one was translating I forgot about it. It looks like the first chapter was scanlated two days ago.
blackwhite67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-17, 14:11   Link #845
Log

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
C^3 beats the first 2 by far
Out of curiosity is it because C3 is good or because the other 2 are just that bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwhite67 View Post
Gakuen Toshi Asterisk is similar to IS only in the art, the school setting, and the harem, but that's it.
Eh, it's very similar........ but I'm honestly not motivated enough to get into another discussion on this so I'll drop it.

Quote:
As for 魔技科の剣士と召唤魔王, Log, can you at tell us who the god is that chose our MC as a summoner?
Spoiler for spoiler:

Also does anyone have a good slice of life comedy novel that's not in Baka Tsuki? Preferably translated in Chinese
Old 2013-07-17, 14:48   Link #846
whsie

Quote:

Gakuen has the same older sister background, sword background, female dominant school (though males exist), mad researchers, quasi super techs, etc. To me, it's about as close as a carbon copy to IS as you'll find without committing plagiarism.

Note for 魔技科の剣士と召唤魔王, thus far the supernatural entities that have formed contracts aren't gods.
Spoiler for spoiler:
whsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-17, 18:52   Link #847
blackwhite67
Banned

Quote:
Gakuen has the same older sister background, sword background, female dominant school (though males exist), mad researchers, quasi super techs, etc. To me, it's about as close as a carbon copy to IS as you'll find without committing plagiarism.

Note for 魔技科の剣士と召唤魔王, thus far the supernatural entities that have formed contracts aren't gods.
Spoiler for spoiler:
It was stated to be female dominant? The first chapter of the manga that was scanlated showed an even ratio of males and females.

Last edited by blackwhite67; 2013-07-17 at 19:07.
Old 2013-07-17, 23:27   Link #848
whsie

Quote:
It was stated to be female dominant? The first chapter of the manga that was scanlated showed an even ratio of males and females.
For Gakuen, the ratio is balanced, but if you look at who is ranked at the top, they're pretty much ALL females.

For 魔技科の剣士と召唤魔王, yes. Only females can form contracts since they inherently have a higher reserve of mana (or whatever they call it). In 魔技科の剣士と召唤魔王,
Spoiler for spoiler:

Now, after reading this, does anyone still feel this is remotely similar to IS? And before anyone says "older sister", realize that the older step sister here is a dual blade wielding loli.
whsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-18, 00:17   Link #849
Fenrisulfr
私たち”友達”だから

Maybe I haven't read that far yet so he might have another sister but Kanae is his younger sister right? Oh and depending on how the female>male thing is played out it might be initially similar to IS, I remember some girls i.e. Cecilia having the whole "you male, you weak" thing along with some other random scene when Ichika went shopping, other than that it' seems pretty different
Fenrisulfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-18, 09:32   Link #850
blackwhite67
Banned

Quote:
For Gakuen, the ratio is balanced, but if you look at who is ranked at the top, they're pretty much ALL females.

For 魔技科の剣士と召唤魔王, yes. Only females can form contracts since they inherently have a higher reserve of mana (or whatever they call it). In 魔技科の剣士と召唤魔王,
Spoiler for spoiler:

Now, after reading this, does anyone still feel this is remotely similar to IS? And before anyone says "older sister", realize that the older step sister here is a dual blade wielding loli.
Actually, I was strictly talking about Asterisk. The majority of the top 12 are female because of fanservice and the will of the author. It's not like females are superior to males or anything so it's not the same as IS in that regard.
Old 2013-07-18, 11:48   Link #851
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Location: First star to the left, you should go there sometime.
Does anyone know of any good LN that makes good use of multiple perspectives like Baccano, Durarara, and Vamp?
Student no.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-18, 13:17   Link #852
Log

Quote:

Spoiler for spoiler:
Spoiler for spoiler:

Quote:

Spoiler for spoiler:

Spoiler for spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrisulfr View Post
Maybe I haven't read that far yet so he might have another sister but Kanae is his younger sister right? Oh and depending on how the female>male thing is played out it might be initially similar to IS, I remember some girls i.e. Cecilia having the whole "you male, you weak" thing along with some other random scene when Ichika went shopping, other than that it' seems pretty different
Spoiler for spoiler:

I'm wondering if I should make the thread for this at this point given how much this thread's being derailed over this topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mare Boy View Post
Does anyone know of any good LN that makes good use of multiple perspectives like Baccano, Durarara, and Vamp?
Look at my rec above.

Also:

Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria

Last edited by Log; 2013-07-18 at 13:30.
Old 2013-07-18, 15:30   Link #853
blackwhite67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Log View Post
Spoiler for spoiler:

Spoiler for spoiler:

Spoiler for spoiler:

I'm wondering if I should make the thread for this at this point given how much this thread's being derailed over this topic
Please do. In fact, I'm willing to make the thread if you're willing to provide some generous exposition, but if you're planning on taking this offer I'd appreciate it if you could translate the title. Otherwise, I just have to name the thread using the japanese title.

Also, I think you forgot that gender discrimination was demonstrated in IS on multiple occasions. Once, when Ichika was shopping for simwsuits with charl, he got called over by the female manager of the store to help sort the merchandise. Him, a complete stranger.

Quote:
"I'm calling you, man! Arrange the swimsuits here!"
A woman whose name I don't know suddenly said to me. 10 years after the introduction of IS, the female superiority quickly spread throughout the world, and every country treats women better. When guys walk down the streets, they will be ordered to do something by someone they don't know. But I-
Old 2013-07-18, 16:19   Link #854
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

There is one I was looking at--It is in Chinese but its translated to be Princess and SKY KINGDOM . (公主+天国(H+P 公主天国) Not sure what the Japanese translation is.

It has 5 LN and 10 chapter worth of manga.

About a guy who has a dominating elder sister who don't want his younger brother end up being a playboy like Dad (AKA playboy, so sort of a Onee version of Sukiza from Campione). He is living in Japan, high school boy.

He is also a good Kendoist. The two siblings own a Dojo and he is master of a sword art.

Then he got teleported/summoned into the classic "magic kingdom" world (Like Zero no Tsukima)

The Kingdom is protected by a magic barrier, the barrier is setup by a Queen who is the ruler of the land. But the barrier is slowly weakening because the Queen is ill, and someone must take over the barrier shield duty, because an ARMY OF DARKNESS is trying to break in.

In order for someone to do so, one of the Queens' 5 daughters must ascend the throne and become the new queen...but in order to do so, she must be preggo by a "King" via a ritual.

So our boy is now stuck with (In order of age)
-Red head serious Magic Knight girl (AKA deliver most violence on MC)
-Blonde one (Leather)
-Blonde two (lace)
-Glasses-low self-estain low magic girl.
-Loli "I don't need panties"

And other than the redhead, the other 4 are willing and sharing

Completely cliched, but fun to read.

Old 2013-07-18, 16:26   Link #855
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Location: First star to the left, you should go there sometime.
Quote:
Look at my rec above.

Also:

Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria
Already reading Hakomari. Awesome for sure. You're referring to the Antique Shop one right? I'll look into it.
Student no.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-18, 19:03   Link #856
Fenrisulfr
私たち”友達”だから

@blackwhite67, Well the raws online have the title as Magika No Kenshi To Bashireusu but when I searched the last part of the name ヴァシレウス it led to some random navy ship ヴァシレウス・ゲオルギオス(Vasilevs Georgios) & the english wiki only has Vasilefs Georgios so it's pretty confusing, also none of this is confirmed but I just wanted to throw it in there. edit: vasilefs seems to also be Basileus so yeah, four different titles lol

Last edited by Fenrisulfr; 2013-07-18 at 19:19. Reason: typos
Fenrisulfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-19, 03:43   Link #857
Bakaizer
Demon Hunter

can anyone recommend me a light lovel with 16.5 scene just like SAO, thanks
Old 2013-07-19, 03:54   Link #858
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikohowell View Post
can anyone recommend me a light lovel with 16.5 scene just like SAO, thanks
No such light novel. Only 18+ novels.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-19, 04:10   Link #859
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Out of curiosity is it because C3 is good or because the other 2 are just that bad?
Both.

C^3 is actually a pretty nice work. It actually grows on you instead of being cliche and forced.

As for HnA and IS.....I am sure by now their flaws are legendary...
Old 2013-07-20, 22:03   Link #860
mike211
CoNfuSeOnE

Quote:
[SPOILER="eh"]No clue on C3 but HnA>IS (not by much though and HnA gets worse as it goes).

If you're looking for a harem genre LN Gekka no Utahime to Magi no Ou, is a lot better then both HnA and IS.
I have already reading that, waiting for the completion of vol 2.

HnA isn't that bad, it just annoy me when Kinji refused to go HSS mode when needed most.

I think, I'm going to read C3 after HnA.

“Whatever your reasons may have been, you did what you did. Do not forget that the day will come when you must pay for it.”
mike211 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light novels