Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-27, 14:53   Link #2721
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
They should. Overfishing has done major damage to fish stocks world wide. The populations of many former staples of the fish market have dropped so low that there simply isn't enough of them left to catch. This has itself devestated the fishing industry in many parts of the world. It's hard to maintain a livelyhood by fishing where there aren't enough fish left to catch to make it worth the operational expenses of the fishing boat. Stricter regulations would have helped prevent that. Of course no one wanted to hear that they should make a little less now so the industry is sustainable so they won't end up ruined later when they run out of catchable fish. No, after all it's a big ocean. There are plenty of fish out there, ignoring that only a few species are desirable for human consumption.
You'd be amazed where alot of fish is being fished for Do some research on the Green movement.

I think animals had an amount of rights, like all livings things they should not be exposed to unneccassary violence.

It's not so much of the varying markets that seem to be wasteful of the fish. Fish are being fished so that they can be used for organic farm fertilizer to the commercial fish eaten by people and animals. There has been studies on the size and population of fish, they have both dramatically declined (For reasons I cannot decipher why) there's obviously a huge market for fish, but it isn't just for our food. We can try to regulate it, and they do, but of course rules will be broken. Its almost impossible to help.

We can't ban the whole practise becasue it's suddenly bad. That causes black markets, that causes poaching. Who do you think will finance a navy patrol to patrol the enitre oceans? Its impossible and forces people off their jobs. There's no real solution until they find a way either to selective breed fish to make them faster growing and stronger. But honestly, the other markets just want volume rather than quality. And obviously we can't do anything about volume.

Credit To Risa-chan!
Old 2009-05-27, 15:09   Link #2722
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

We could try to introduce a predator for fishermen in the form of privateers...
Old 2009-05-27, 15:44   Link #2723
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Old, but still relevant me thinks.

Judge rules family can't refuse chemo for boy.

The story is that a family has refused to have their son get chemo for his Hodgkin's lymphoma cancer, which has a 90% survival rate with chemo treatment

The parents have decided to use alternative medicines for religious reasons. However, a judge has ruled that not getting the boy proper medical care is parental neglect and he has ruled in the favor of the state to force the boy to recieve treatment.

Recently, the mother and her child have fled to Mexico. Kid's thirteen and he can't even read.

Last edited by Dilla; 2009-05-27 at 22:29.
Old 2009-05-27, 16:12   Link #2724
Thingle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Complete with a smoking Seoul, at the very least, and the PRC would definitely demand a unified Korea to allow their influence inside to counter the States.
Might as well move the capital to Busan for the time being.
Old 2009-05-27, 16:14   Link #2725
Thingle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
The parents have decided to use alternative medicines for religious reasons.
I wonder. Minnesota voted Obama but that's some Red State attitude right there.
Old 2009-05-27, 17:56   Link #2726
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingle View Post
yeah they do that. it's about time to bomb that little ronery dictator's ass.

Who's in for a free, democratic North Korea?
I would prefer rich and democratic North Korea thank you very much.

Quote:
Complete with a smoking Seoul, at the very least, and the PRC would definitely demand a unified Korea to allow their influence inside to counter the States.
I really hope that PRC does do that, you know because two different nations trying to influence Korea worked so well last time.

Quote:
Well I suppose I should rep you for writing Busan properly instead of that Pusan crap that is written in almost all English world map.
Old 2009-05-27, 18:49   Link #2727
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Well, in Chinese, we call it Fushan...

Seoul should be the capital of a unified Korea, but as the capital of the South... Maybe, they should move it.
Old 2009-05-27, 19:04   Link #2728
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Well, in Chinese, we call it Fushan...

Seoul should be the capital of a unified Korea, but as the capital of the South... Maybe, they should move it.
No way lot of history in that city and it has been the capital for over 600years.
Old 2009-05-27, 19:08   Link #2729
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Just looking at the names it accumulated through the centuries should give a hint.
Old 2009-05-27, 20:58   Link #2730
LeoXiao
思想工作

I thought that Pyongyang was the historical capital of Korea.
Old 2009-05-27, 22:22   Link #2731
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Japanese develop glowing monkeys...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8070252.stm

Actually for serious use, but the innate sci-fi hilarity just beckons...
Old 2009-05-27, 22:24   Link #2732
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
Old, but still relevant me thinks.

Judge rules family can't refuse chemo for boy.

The story is that family has refused to have their son get chemo for his Hodgkin's lymphoma cancer, which has a 90% survival rate with chemo treatment.

The parents have decided to use alternative medicines for religious reasons. However, a judge has ruled that not getting the boy proper medical care is parental neglect and he has ruled in the favor of the state to force the boy to revieve treatment.

Recently, the mother and his child has fled to Mexico. Kid's thirteen and he can't even read.
Okay, not to support their lunacy but last I checked we had no universal healthcare. Any of ya'll have any idea how much chemotherapy costs and how many for-profit health insurance companies exit the building before the bill comes due?
Old 2009-05-27, 22:34   Link #2733
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Okay, not to support their lunacy but last I checked we had no universal healthcare. Any of ya'll have any idea how much chemotherapy costs and how many for-profit health insurance companies exit the building before the bill comes due?
Enough to make your average family rather destitute for the rest of thier lives, I assume. But, with only a 5-10% chance of survival without the chemo, I would assume that most parents say 'cost be damned' and do it.

I don't think it's even about the money, either. The kid doesn't even think he's all that sick. The parents are just crazy.

Quote:
Hauser said she had been treating the boy's cancer instead with herbal supplements, vitamins, ionized water and other natural alternatives — a regimen based mostly on information she found on the Internet.
I'm not in the medical field, but I don't think it'll work.

Last edited by Dilla; 2009-05-27 at 22:57.
Old 2009-05-27, 22:46   Link #2734
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
Quote:

now i won't be surprised if there were real Pokemon existed in real life.
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Old 2009-05-28, 03:21   Link #2735
mg1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooPurePureBoy View Post
I don't think it's as clear cut as you present it. There are some legit concerns that she may be unfit to be on the Supreme Court. I mean consider that somewhere around 80% of the appeals against her rulings that have gone to the Supreme Court have been overturned. Even more interesting is that some of the reasons other judges have overturned her has not been ideological in nature, but simply that she "got her statutory wrong", as in she simply didn't understand the law surrounding the case. This Judge has a history of putting the matters of law aside and using the cases she oversees to promote her own personal opinion on what would be "good positive social change". I don't care if you are a overly liberal judge or if you are an overly conservative judge, your job is to adjudicate law, it is not to promote your own personal agenda, no matter how well intended it may be.
hmmm it's 60%
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...s-fodder-to-f/

btw Here's her appellate record spelled out by topic.

http://www.scotusblog.com/wp/judge-s...n-civil-cases/
Old 2009-05-28, 04:10   Link #2736
Jaden

Quote:

Hey that would be pretty cool in the disco. *goes to inject himself with GFP flu*

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2009/05/...8511242253294/

edit: oh this would have fit that other news thread better. I forgot we have two.

Last edited by Jaden; 2009-05-28 at 04:22.
Old 2009-05-28, 05:58   Link #2737
KimmyChan

Concerns grow over Vauxhall jobs -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8071297.stm
Old 2009-05-28, 08:18   Link #2738
Thingle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
I thought that Pyongyang was the historical capital of Korea.
Anyway, who in his right mind would put up with one nation taking another hostage. Wtf is with threatening to flatten a foreign city because they don't like what their government doing? No one is obliged to provide the North with food and fuel so they better not impose.

The sunshine policy only took it too far. What did it achieve? Its time for bombshine policy.

Last edited by Thingle; 2009-05-28 at 08:22. Reason: grammar check
Old 2009-05-28, 08:20   Link #2739
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

That is the general feeling one NYT article gave me. The South is getting fed up.
Old 2009-05-28, 08:23   Link #2740
Thingle
Banned

Quote:
The South is getting fed up.
I would too...
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international