AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-07-12, 11:52   Link #181
Cullinan

Saint Seiya began as the dream of Masami Kurumada transformed into manga and anime. In the first episodes, Kurumada wanted to introduce the public to those wonderful SS characters and their story. After the first sanctuary saga. Saint Seiya began to be produced for commercial purposes only, and not because of kurumada's vision (sorry fans, but that's the truth).
I myself am a huge fan of SS, and I love the first sanctuary arc of SS, I also loved Hades Sanctuary, it was very well done.
It is my dream that Kurumada puts his head back to the true essence of Saint Seiya (I mean, the latest OVAs were pathetic jokes, really). And a true animation company should take the lead, Disney, Dreamworks, or maybe TOEI must take things seriously.

Last edited by Cullinan; 2009-07-12 at 12:03.
Cullinan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-12, 12:00   Link #182
Cullinan

In my opinion, Lost Canvas anime must achieve a moderate success.
First, I hope that the new saga will restore the true essence of Saint Seiya we knew in Sanctuary Arc, and redeem the awful mistakes in Hades Inferno and Elysion.
Now, If it lives up to our expectations, it will be wonderful to all of us fans and stay true to the Manga and it will end gracefully.
But if it achieves a big success, the producers will want to milk the cash cow, that is, they will extend the episodes by adding meaningless stories and delays so as not to reach the ending. Just look at what happened to Naruto, the first 100 episodes were very good, but after that the story kept going on and on and on....with no point whatsoever, simply because they know there are many fans still watching.
Don't get me wrong, but the first 50 episodes of Saint Seiya (the original) weren't so much important, it was with the encounter of the gold Saints that the true Cosmos began to burn in our hearts. And the Asgard and Poseidon Saga also were overrated and were produced for the sole purpose to make diehard fans buy SS figurines and toy cloths (sorry...but that's the truth, although some Asgard characters were unforgettable and very charismatic.)
The Hades Sanctuary could've been better, but it was good nonetheless.
To wrap it up, I just hope that the new Saga will stick true to the legend of Saint Seiya and that they animated the vision of a dream, not some lousy cartoon to make us buy their DVDs and products. In other words, we are believers of a legend, not money makers(Yes...I'm talking to you Kurumada).
Cullinan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-12, 13:30   Link #183
Albafica
Pisces no saint

I agree with you about Saint Seiya becoming commercial, but it's was forced when a shonen manga became a success. Look at Naruto/One Piece/Bleach/Dragon Ball ^^.
And OK Asgard was a filler commercial arc but it was one of best arc of Saint Seiya in my opinion. Commercial doesn't mean it will be bad (ok, a lot of commercial things are bad).

There are some people who say that Asgard Arc is the best arc of Saint Seiya!
I think this arc is not over rated, it had some beautiful and interesting character. They have a very good background (compare to Gold saints or others...). Now we have ennemies who have their story (Mime is an unforgeattable character). It's not a manichean fight, there are not really good and bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeedFRI4Fxg Mime Benetnasch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFtZPZpNIQs Siegfried Dubhe

About Poseidon arc, I don't know if it is over rated because a lot of people say that it's a shi!?! And i'm in!

Toei Unanimation does Inferno and Elysion, I don't want this compagny touch again Saint Seiya >_<. Disney and Dreamworks, i think it's a dream . But Madhouse, IG Production, why not? Well we have TMS with Lost Canvas, and their work isn't bad.

I hope OAV of Lost Canvas will have some success so we can have a sequel of these 13 OAV . But Manga of Lost Canvas uses a lot of commercial things like fan service which is a little irratating when there is too much of this shi!?! And Shiori seems to extend the story...
I hope Lost Canvas will end gracefully too.

You're right about success is not alway "good" for a manga. But when you want to have success, you need to attrack more reader... And fan service attracts mens . It's not good too >_<.

Last edited by Albafica; 2009-07-12 at 14:24.
Albafica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-12, 22:15   Link #184
beamknight87
Gold Saint

The Asgard filler probably is the most appealing arc given that it was actually the only saga that boarded the background and the reasons why they fought of each of the enemy God Warriors, being Mime, Alberich and Siegfried the most popular ones. Compared to any other enemies Seiya & co. fought, none of them got such deep characterizations or backgrounds (save few exceptions, like Leo Aiolia or Kraken Isaac).
Old 2009-07-13, 02:12   Link #185
Blablabla
Zetsubo-sensei daaaaaa !!

Asgard is my fav' chapter, too... thanks to a beautiful storyline, wonderful soundtrack and heartbreaking characters (Siegfried, Fenrir, Mime and the Twins). That's why there are people who actually like the Episode G. Because it's quite Asgardish with enemies who are not that evil and who have, more than a grudge against Olympians, their own motives (can be selfish like Themis and Japet, or more "noble" like Coeos and Hyperion).
And the Asgard Movie is also my fav' one... because it has the better score of all, because Freya is amazingly cute and because it is the only time in Saint Seiya storylines that Athena is not actually saved by Seiya himself (but Frey). And that's cool.

As for Lost Canvas anime. I am very disappointed by the voice acting and the soundtrack. The score is not going further than a generic fantasy music and ends up to be pretty annoying. Not that I expected something as great as Seiji Yokoyama did back then, but man... what made Saint Seiya 'that' great was a also wonderful musics.

Hirano should have kept on dubbing hysteric and annoying teenagers and let more "mature" characters to a real voice actress (has the staff listen to her pitiful performance on Hokuto no ken before hiring her ?).
And I did not really understand why they didn't keep the original voice acting cast for the gold saint. Hearing the Pope speaks with Milo's former voice is quite disturbing.

So I dunno if I will go on with the anime. Since it's just an animated "copy paste" from the manga with nothing new of different, there seems to be no point watching it... And that won't have to listen Hirano trying to act like a grown responsible girl, then.
Blablabla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-13, 03:35   Link #186
Albafica
Pisces no saint

I love Asgard but I don't like episode G (last volume are quite boring in my opinion). What I like the most in Asgard is characters, but the atmosphere too (Araki style + Yokoyama soundtrack= epic). I love the Asgard movie too (Hyoga is my favourite character, and I love his fight ), but Abel movie is so beautiful in my opinion *_*.

About Asgard OAV, i agree with you, the soundtrack is not very good. Yokoyama soundtrack was unforgettable, some tracks are so beautiful, deep, sad, and epic!

Wada soundtrack (Lost Canvas OAV, D.Gray-Man, Cassherns sins) is so...ordinary in my opinion. There is no life in his composition...

About Hirano, I can't disagree you! I hate her voice, she speaks with her noise! She does Suzumiya (SHNY), Misa (Death Note), Izumi (Lucky Star) and I hate these characters. I hate that nasal voice!
She can't do a "mature" character.

I will continue Lost Canvas OAV because I want to see some fight...(Albafica! ).
And I need some Saint Seiya stuff...
Old 2009-07-18, 21:12   Link #187
Kardia no Scorpio
Gold Saint

Hello SS fans! I'm new to this forum.

Quote:
As for Lost Canvas anime. I am very disappointed by the voice acting
Hirano should have kept on dubbing hysteric and annoying teenagers and let more "mature" characters to a real voice actress (has the staff listen to her pitiful performance on Hokuto no ken before hiring her ?).
Were all voices disappointed or just Hirano's? I thought Mizuki(Pandora) , Kakihara(Tenma), and Shimono(Alone) and even Tomohiro(Hypnos) did a fantastic job.

Quote:
And I did not really understand why they didn't keep the original voice acting cast for the gold saint. Hearing the Pope speaks with Milo's former voice is quite disturbing.
I'm glad they didn't keep the original voices. Ono Daisuke as Manigoldo, Tomozaku Sugita as Aldebaran, Shinichiro Miki as Shion, Ishida Akira as Asmita is just EPIC and way better than their counterparts...

Quote:
So I dunno if I will go on with the anime. Since it's just an animated "copy paste" from the manga with nothing new of different, there seems to be no point watching it... And that won't have to listen Hirano trying to act like a grown responsible girl, then.
Don't know what you mean by "copy and paste," but I like to think of it as an adaption, which by the way, TMS did an excellent job in that department. As for the scenes actually there's a few new ones (tenma vs yato, Dohko's rozan hyakuryu ha, and the scene with Pandora and Hypnos at the end of OVA 1).

Can't wait for August 21st when the second DVD is released!

Last edited by Kardia no Scorpio; 2009-07-18 at 22:25.
Kardia no Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 01:34   Link #188
Albafica
Pisces no saint

WTH Kardia no scorpio, I like your name and your sign . If you follow Lost Canvas manga, there is a topic about it too!

About voices, I'm a bit disappointed too. Aya Hirano is just so bad for Sasha.
Ishida Akira for Asmita? I don't hear his voice with Asmita but I really don't like his voice althrough I love his work on Athrun Zala (Gundam Seed).
Mizuki for Pandora was ok, Alone too. I don't like Tenma VA, but perhaps after it will be better...
And why they don't conserve VA of Shion and Dokho. They were awesome in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEOp1bNTRBo

Look at this, Nobuo Tobita was awesome (I love his work on Akabane Kurodo of Get Backers). Compare Aries Stardust Revolution in Hades Sanctuary and Lost Canvas... The Stardust Revolution in Lost Canvas was pathetic...
About Dokho, his voice in Lost Canvas is too old (like his design)! In Hades Sanctuary his voice was cool, young and authoritarian.

About Ono Daisuke, I really don't know who is he -_-, but i hope he will not kill the character, or I will be .

For now, I prefer the precedent cast than Lost canvas cast. But we will see later.

"copy paste", it's because anime is not very different from the manga. But well, no problem for me . I don't want TMS doing fillers, except if it has the same quality as Asgard .

I can't wait too! I want to see this:

Spoiler:
Old 2009-07-19, 03:05   Link #189
Kardia no Scorpio
Gold Saint

Thanks Albafica I like them too lol
I guess it's just a matter of opinion, but so far I'm loving the cast. And yeah, Albafika vs Minos looks very promising, but for me the most anticipated fight is Hasgard vs. Kagaho. That Titan's Nova is gonna be amazing!

Last edited by Kardia no Scorpio; 2009-07-19 at 18:55.
Old 2009-07-20, 12:12   Link #190
Albafica
Pisces no saint

Yeah i'm waiting for this fight too. Well my best characters of Lost Canvas are Pisces, Cancer and Taurus .
Old 2009-07-20, 16:00   Link #191
beamknight87
Gold Saint

Saint Seiya related. These guys just arrived and man, they are awesome. They are easily in the top 10 of the whole collection:

Now I'm aiming for the Poseidon myth cloth (anime version of course, the ROE is damn expensive...)

Also... 1 more month before the next LC OVAS are released.
Old 2009-07-21, 13:32   Link #192
Albafica
Pisces no saint

Yeah cool cloth man . I like this Saga surplice!

About Lost Canvas OAV, well it's a bit long -_-. And we must wait a lot of time for the best fight of Lost Canvas (in my opinion )...
Old 2009-07-21, 17:13   Link #193
Kardia no Scorpio
Gold Saint

Awesome figures beamknight87! Soon I will start collecting those figures.
This just in! Kenyuu Horiuchi (Dohko's VA in SS Hades) will voice Hakurei in LC. Awesome choice in my opinion!
Old 2009-07-21, 17:45   Link #194
Goblinator

I'm watching the original SS again after so many years.

can someone tell me why did kurumada drop out unicorn from the main characters? I mean, he was made of pure awesome and stupidity. His comments about Shun made me LOL, his crazy relationship with Saori was just hilarious and he was insane enough to challenge Phoenix Ikki. Kurumada should really have kept him but I'm glad the writers of Lost canvas are giving more importance to the unicorn now.

Wolf Nachi is another great character. I mean, he's fucking hilarious! His entrance to the ring was one of the best ever! ARM AND KNEE, SHOULDER AND CHEST! And then, bam, owned by Ikki in one hit.

Last edited by Goblinator; 2009-07-21 at 18:17.
Goblinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 18:39   Link #195
beamknight87
Gold Saint

I think you just answered your own question lol. Those secondary Bronzes were made of complete FAIL, especially the Wolf, I still laugh my ass off when I watch how Ikki owned him with the Genma Ken.
The Unicorn was quite hotblooded and maybe he should have been added to the main cast but... no. His only technique was that lame kick lol... do you even realize the massacre these guys would have suffered against the Silver Saints? Or even the Gold Saints?
Nevertheless, I think it would have been nice if they had made a side history or something of those 5 Saints when Seiya & co. were at Asgard or something... and that reminds me, Mizar Zeta Syd also owned those 5 in one blow lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYQvvJRcE6o
Old 2009-07-21, 21:16   Link #196
Goblinator

That video, they don't have their cloth on.

The kick is not a reason although I still think it looks cool. If Kurumada wanted to make him a main char, he would have done it. Kurumada had plans Jabu to be a main char but then he dropped him out and I want to know why he did that. Just look at the number of lines he have at the beginning of the series compared to the other saints.

The minor bronze saints have some screentime but it's not much.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9LgLYK8y9o

But seriously, I still think Jabu should have been a main char, I don't know, cuz Shun kinda piss me off.
Old 2009-07-21, 21:35   Link #197
RDF2050
Superidol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albafica View Post
No problem, I think Lost Canvas will attrack some people when they will see me (heum... Albafica ). I hope...

Good luck with manga of Kurumada
I have not see the manga yet but i think why you and other are acting like this person is very good (if the person Piscis ? )
Old 2009-07-21, 22:16   Link #198
beamknight87
Gold Saint

Well SantaBla, those were simple soldiers. Seiya & Shun also pwn instantly several number of Marine soldiers without breaking a sweet right when they arrive to the Poseidon Temple so...
I also thought Jabu would become a main char back then when I saw the first episodes, but the moment he got assraped by the Nebula Chain I was like "I don't think so lol"

Albafica is well liked since he made the debut of the Gold Saints in the LC against a pretty powerful opponent and completely redeemed the name of the Pisces Saint.
Old 2009-07-22, 09:21   Link #199
Goblinator

yeah i know. I'm just saying they did get some screen time but obviously not much.

Kurumada just didn't plan it out well. If Jabu was destined to be a secondary character, he wouldn't have had this much of screen time in the beginning.

By the way, the unicorn gallop (read the manga, it's not like the anime, and is more detailed) Plus in manga again, Jabu successfully used his unicorn gallop on 3 spectres in the beginning of hades.
Old 2009-07-22, 11:04   Link #200
Kardia no Scorpio
Gold Saint

Cover for DVD/Blu-ray #2 of LC

Dohko looks awesome!

Tags
fantasy, shounen