Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2023-01-19, 17:01   Link #61
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojay View Post
That is the key aspect of an anime based on an existing story, whether a light novel or manga. The producers only have a short time to get through a large amount of story and they have to decide what works best when animated given the constraints of the production schedule, budget etc.

It's possible there will be another series of Bofuri after this one but the producers can't guarantee it. They need to bring this series to a satisfactory conclusion in about 250 minutes of animation runtime total, and to do that they have to ruthlessly cut and edit out stuff in the source material that they judge is not needed to make a consistent anime story within that limited runtime. Fans of the LN and manga want to see their favourite bits (and some of them want to see all of it animated in great detail) but it's not going to happen, sorry.
Definitely agree, here. I remember how last season, there were people who were disappointed that the anime cut
Spoiler for light novel:
When I read the story via the manga, I can understand why people liked the moment, but also understood the reason it got cut, as it didn't really bring anything important to the plot. Heck, there's this one story from the 4th Layer that I wanted to see get animated (a very funny one at that), and while it was disappointing that will likely not appear in the anime (especially with the anime version of the Mountain God fight using one element from that story to set things up), I can understand the reason for it being cut, as it was basically a fluff chapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeross87 View Post
Yeah your numbers are correct but for s1, 12 eps for 4 books mean roughly 3 eps per book which i think is the ideal pace of an anime adaptation (depending of the ln length but roughly speaking).

the first 2 eps of s2 covered all of vol5 and a third of vol6. if this pace is kept for the whole serie it would cover about 8 books of materials so two times more than s1.

since i decided to keep with official english released LN translation i know of the story only until end of book 7 so i don't know if the "natural pace" ending of volume 8 would be a particulary bad one, or if vol 9-12 are so fucking amazing they are worth skiping earlier stuff to get them into s2.
I'm am up-to-date with the WN, and trust me when I say that the end of volume 9 is going to be the place where Season 2 will end (and a good spot at that). With that said, the plan looks to be to get the first two volumes done within the first three episodes and then devote three episodes to each of the remaining volumes being covered this season. As for the feel of things being rushed, besides the need the get the first two volumes of the season done in three episodes, the other thing to consider is the fact that the fifth volume was crammed as it is with it trying to cover two layers and two events in one volume, and even then, the 5th Layer wasn't really explored properly due to the the focus on the 4th Layer Oni boss and the 6th Event. Meanwhile, I don't think it will be too much of a problem to
Spoiler for LN:
done in one episode.
Old 2023-01-22, 08:24   Link #62
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Combining this with the first episode, feels like they're intentionally trying to give everyone airtime. Which I understand, but it feels like Level 5 could have made for an interesting world. Really can't see an MMO only having new content be relevant for a few weeks then having everyone move on, seems a heck of a waste of developer resources and time.

Maple with demons and a throne. Sally gets a stat boost. Some decent moments but if they continue cramming things in non-stop, there really is no immersion or tension. Hoping something meaningful occurs soon. As endearing as Maple's antics are, they can wear out quickly if things remain on the same trajectory.
Old 2023-01-22, 10:07   Link #63
Huh...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
but it feels like Level 5 could have made for an interesting world. Really can't see an MMO only having new content be relevant for a few weeks then having everyone move on, seems a heck of a waste of developer resources and time.
Technically, a New MMO game usually launches with multiple levels or area at once from the beginning.
I haven't really played that many MMO's, but each one had atleast 4-5 areas/levels from start.
So, i guess, the developers of this game are slowly releasing each level/area, in order to better balance the game-play and power scale.

Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha Fandom Wikia ("Administrator")
Arifureta Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchu Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Yu-Gi-Oh! Fandom Wikia ("Content Moderator")
Huh...? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-22, 17:18   Link #64
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Combining this with the first episode, feels like they're intentionally trying to give everyone airtime. Which I understand, but it feels like Level 5 could have made for an interesting world. Really can't see an MMO only having new content be relevant for a few weeks then having everyone move on, seems a heck of a waste of developer resources and time.
First off, only the first episode was about giving everyone airtime.

As for the fifth world being done in a matter of minutes, consider the following:
  1. In both the LN and the anime, a good chunk of the 5th Layer's screen time is sadly nonexistent in order to give time for the story where Maple, who missed the opening of the Layer due to illness, tries to arrive there on her own and accidentally enters the Oni's tower instead.
  2. In the LN, the 6th Event happened on the 5th Layer instead of the 4th Layer. The reason for the move in the anime was basically to ensure that Payne makes an appearance in the first episode (as this event is the first time he reappears after the 4th Event).
  3. Of the three exploration stories that do happen here, the only one that needed to be covered last week was Maple and twins taking on the Mountain God, as one could possibly be held off to this week for reasons and the other is basically fluff (although there is reference to it in the form of the scene with Maple and the twins carrying umbrellas).

Quote:
Maple with demons and a throne. Sally gets a stat boost. Some decent moments but if they continue cramming things in non-stop, there really is no immersion or tension. Hoping something meaningful occurs soon. As endearing as Maple's antics are, they can wear out quickly if things remain on the same trajectory.
The change you are looking for will likely happen in next week's episode, as I feel
Spoiler for LN:
Old 2023-01-25, 11:58   Link #65
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Sally looked like a VTuber there in the library. 3D wasn't necessarily bad but really weird.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-25, 14:58   Link #66
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
Sally looked like a VTuber there in the library. 3D wasn't necessarily bad but really weird.
I thought they switched to CG there, and yeah it's not great. In some ways it does simplify animation, but it's more static. I mean, yeah, the bodies move more, but the faces seem awfully wooden, and the whole thing looks too different from the standard.

Anyway, looks like at this point the only way they can beat Maple is with terrain or other such "scenery" damage sources.

On a separate note, I was kind of hoping that after Frederica and Kasumi left and Mii dropped the act again, we'd find out that Marcus or some other high-ranking member of her guild was there from the start.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-25, 18:59   Link #67
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The battle with the book being CGI was really awkward. I get using CGI for a few shots, but it was pretty much the entire thing. Kinda awaiting an announcement this show is going to be delayed too...
Old 2023-01-26, 01:09   Link #68
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Consider that they did FOUR boss fights here, something's gotta give way.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-26, 05:34   Link #69
Liddo-kun
is this so?

episode 3:

Slime Maple is so cute. Brutal end for those two npc, she poisoned and then slimed them. It also caused a bug which is more work for the devs. LOL

Mii-chan slowly becoming more close to Maple. Just hope she does not get too dependent on her, and ask favor too often.

Sally got the items she wants, Maple is good friend getting those for her.

looking forward to next week!
Liddo-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-26, 16:11   Link #70
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Yeah, the CG battle wasn't great. Which is a shame since as a concept it could be a good fight and certainly letting Sally shine isn't bad. Just doesn't quite work since the CG Sally can't give off the same feeling of hyper speed.

Lack of tension is just the way of the show. Maple has reached such absurd levels of power that there's nothing the writing or the characters within the story can do. In order to actually topple Maple they'd have to design something so absolutely absurd that she and no one else could ever beat it.

I do feel for Mii though. Really has just stuck herself with a rough spot. I'd say dropping the act would be for the best, but that's easier said than done. Probably would feel like she was letting a lot of people down at that point. While hanging out with Maple will help, I'm not sure that will work forever. Her cover is either going to get blown or it's just not going to be enough.
Old 2023-01-26, 17:01   Link #71
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The battle with the book being CGI was really awkward. I get using CGI for a few shots, but it was pretty much the entire thing. Kinda awaiting an announcement this show is going to be delayed too...
First, the main reason for the CGI had more to do with the fact that this was a Sally-focused fight than animation problems.

Second, if it does get delayed, an announcement probably won't happen until late February, as the second PV and ads for the season feature footage from the first "post 7th Event" episode (one episode that I have a hard time waiting for, given how, when it came to the WN, I actually skipped the 7th Event and went straight to a part that I felt was more interesting ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Consider that they did FOUR boss fights here, something's gotta give way.
In terms of this episode:
  • The first boss fight was due to the anime wanting to get the 6th Layer done ASAP (since Sally isn't involved in this floor) by another case of combining two separate events (although it does lead to how the show will handle a certain moment if it does get animated).
  • The purpose of doing the first three floors of the tower in this episode is so that way the episode can end with the chat room bit that appeared after the 3rd Floor in the WN.

Meanwhile, the fact that they got through three floors in one episode does make me wonder whether it's going to take one or two episodes to cover the rest of the Event (I know of a good spot for where the second episode could end if there's three episodes, although the pacing does suggest it getting done in two to ensure more time for the stuff that's hinted at in the OP).
Old 2023-01-26, 18:03   Link #72
Dextro
He Without a Title

Honestly the CG wasn't bad. It was actually pretty great for most of the action bits. The problem is that they didn't cut away to traditional 2D animation for the bits where they were mostly standing still and talking. That's where the uncanny valley really kicked in.

It would genuinely be a great looking scene overall if they had been able to add some smart camera cuts so the character close ups wouldn't be CG. But I imagine this was more of a decision based on time constrains than anything else. It didn't really diminish my enjoyment of the episode that much.

That said, I absolute lost it before the opening credits when Maple just casually breaks the actual game code by triggering a bug. That's our Maple!
Old 2023-01-26, 21:38   Link #73
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Honestly the CG wasn't bad. It was actually pretty great for most of the action bits. The problem is that they didn't cut away to traditional 2D animation for the bits where they were mostly standing still and talking. That's where the uncanny valley really kicked in.
Exactly. This was one of the most complex battles so far, and even in the last season there were a lot of stills in Sally's battle scenes, so I can understand using CG to allow for a more elaborate portrayal of the action. However, while they did some good work with the action, the facial expressions and such were a little too static. Gained motion in one area and lost it in another, unfortunately a very crucial area that is easy to notice in anime. If they'd switched to hand-drawn for the slow points, I'd have enjoyed it far more. Here's hoping they'll have it drawn out on the Blu Ray.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-29, 07:42   Link #74
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

The perils of continually upping the ante are really showing. Thst episode was just bland. Season 1 always had a threat or setback. Within this episode, the setbacks couldn't even last a minute.

I'm presuming something causes issues next ep/long term. Surely. Maple's endearment can only go so far.
Old 2023-01-29, 16:44   Link #75
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
The perils of continually upping the ante are really showing. Thst episode was just bland. Season 1 always had a threat or setback. Within this episode, the setbacks couldn't even last a minute.

I'm presuming something causes issues next ep/long term. Surely. Maple's endearment can only go so far.
Remember that this is more of a "slice of life" show with a VRMMORPG setting, as such your not expecting any major type of danger.

That said, there will be a couple of setback situations later this season
Spoiler for LN:
Old 2023-01-30, 10:52   Link #76
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2023-01-30, 16:35   Link #77
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Zenith View Post
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
(Has a possible idea of what to expect in the May issue if the images are going to be inspired by moments from the show).
Old 2023-01-31, 18:20   Link #78
The Green One

You just know Maple is wondering what it tastes like......
Old 2023-01-31, 21:15   Link #79
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
You just know Maple is wondering what it tastes like......
The devs should have a coded a 'if you see Maple, don't get eaten' behaviour if they actually wanted to contain it.
Old 2023-02-01, 14:39   Link #80
Twi

If they didn't learn their lesson after the first season, they're basically using her as a tester at this point.