AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

View Poll Results: Hanasaku Iroha - Episode 13 Rating
Perfect 10 30 46.15%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 22 33.85%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 8 12.31%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 4.62%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 3.08%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-26, 03:20   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Hanasaku Iroha - Episode 13 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Hanasaku Iroha, Episode 13.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2011-06-26, 10:04   Link #2
.x.crii.x.
To the beat//

Ohana officially says....

Spoiler for ...:
Old 2011-06-26, 10:08   Link #3
Freeter
beyond

Spoiler for 13:
Old 2011-06-26, 10:35   Link #4
Peanutbutter

Spoiler:
Old 2011-06-26, 10:54   Link #5
ipodi

Wait, Satsuki switched the drinks? I thought Ohana simply mistook her soda as alcohol and "played drunk." This happens all the time to young people.

Nice episode on the family dynamics.
Old 2011-06-26, 10:57   Link #6
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

This is exactly what I wanted to see. An episode focusing on family where the three generations could bond. Ohana has not only grown closer to her mother (who finally acted like a mother in this ep!), she's gotten closer to her grandmother as well. Pretty heartwarming.

In the end, Satsuki is definitely not a bad person, but she's certainly no angel either lol. We thought she used to be like Ohana when she was younger, but it wasn't really the case. She bullied her brohter constantly, doing things like forcing him to do her homework (even thought he's younger than her! Is he some sort of genius) and stealing his New Year's money. I think Tomoe's remark that this explains why he likes Takako was very insightful

Nako was, as always, a yuri magnet. Even Satsuki couldn't resist.

& YEEESSS! The Ko subplot is over, which marks the end of the first half of the series. I'm really glad Ohana went back to her regular lovable self. Conclusion of the first half: Kissuiso >>> Ko

And the good news don't stop here! Next week's episode will finally focus on Yuina! And it's the long awaited beach episode! My body is ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodi View Post
Wait, Satsuki switched the drinks? I thought Ohana simply mistook her soda as alcohol and "played drunk." This happens all the time to young people.
That's what I think happened too. I doubt Satsuki actually made her drink alcohol.
Old 2011-06-26, 11:02   Link #7
ZGMF-X10A
Tsukiyomi -Moon Phase-

Send a message via MSN to ZGMF-X10A
Drunk(from soda = =;; ) Ohana is so kawaii

the ending seems alittle different (recap of previous episodes) maybe a new OP or ED next week?
Old 2011-06-26, 11:11   Link #8
marcosius
Anime Critic
*Author

Tohru lovers, let's party. Ko has been refused.
Old 2011-06-26, 11:24   Link #9
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGMF-X10A View Post
the ending seems alittle different (recap of previous episodes) maybe a new OP or ED next week?
It made me think that this was the last episode, until the preview popped up.
Old 2011-06-26, 11:26   Link #10
ZGMF-X10A
Tsukiyomi -Moon Phase-

Send a message via MSN to ZGMF-X10A
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosius View Post
Tohru lovers, let's party. Ko has been refused.
I wouldn't party so fast, Ohana said "I love Kissuiso, I love everyone that works there, I love grandma the manager, and I also love my mother, Ko chan also"

saying goodbye doesn't make it that's he's rejected or anything but it's just goodbye for now because she loves living in Kissuiso. I can see Ko chan going to Kissuiso, and visit Ohana this time actually able to stay there in a later episode.
Old 2011-06-26, 11:30   Link #11
Midnight Bliss
Radiant as the sun;
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Midnight Bliss
I feel like Ko is going to come in just when things between Tohru and Ohana start getting good to cause trouble...
Hopefully new OP next week, and I want to see Tohru's reaction to Ohana in a swimsuit pretty bad. <3
Old 2011-06-26, 11:50   Link #12
Shadow5YA

Keep in mind that the manager put the Kissuiso over her husband too. There's still a way for Ohana to be with Ko while still separated from him. While she said good-bye to Ko, she also said that she wouldn't give up on him either.

That just means that Ohana is putting Ko on hold for now... which she pretty much has been doing since the first episode.
Old 2011-06-26, 12:13   Link #13
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Are they going to focus on the Yuina's Inn in the future?
Old 2011-06-26, 12:22   Link #14
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGMF-X10A View Post
I wouldn't party so fast, Ohana said "I love Kissuiso, I love everyone that works there, I love grandma the manager, and I also love my mother, Ko chan also"

saying goodbye doesn't make it that's he's rejected or anything but it's just goodbye for now because she loves living in Kissuiso. I can see Ko chan going to Kissuiso, and visit Ohana this time actually able to stay there in a later episode.
We'll know for sure next week when we see the new OP. If Ko isn't in it, there you have it.

Personally, I'm convinced this is it for Ko. Ohana took Ko's "see ya" as him dumping her. At the end of the episode, she decided to say "see ya" to Ko as well and thanked him for everything (<- you usually say this to people you're not planning to see again, and sure enough, Ohana has no intention of going back to Tokyo. She had to choose between her new home, Kissuiso, and Ko; she chose Kissuiso. Ko lost to an inn, which I guess is better than losing to another guy, in a way). This doesn't get any clearer than that. Ko has moved on from Ohana first. Now she has moved on for him. They then both lived happily ever after... with different partners.
Old 2011-06-26, 12:41   Link #15
ipodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
At the end of the episode, she decided to say "see ya" to Ko as well and thanked him for everything (<- you usually say this to people you're not planning to see again, and sure enough, Ohana has no intention of going back to Tokyo.
Now, is this what she actually said in Japanese?

In real life, Ko would have already been getting in on with that bookstore chick, but anime doesn't follow real life logic.
Old 2011-06-26, 12:44   Link #16
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

^Yes, it's exactly what she said. No ambiguity whatsoever here.
Old 2011-06-26, 13:12   Link #17
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Nako was, as always, a yuri magnet. Even Satsuki couldn't resist.
Bwwahaa, you thought so too? She's so adorable.

Amazing how well grandmother kept her dignity after drinking herself under the table. Japan seems too tolerant of drunkeness; Ohana was very funny though.

Ohana's accepted her situation with Ko and let him go his own way, but I wouldn't mind seeing the old boy make a comeback later. I do very much want Tohru to end up with Minchi, or at least progressing towards it by the end.
Old 2011-06-26, 13:23   Link #18
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
We'll know for sure next week when we see the new OP. If Ko isn't in it, there you have it. Personally, I'm convinced this is it for Ko. Ohana took Ko's "see ya" as him dumping her. At the end of the episode, she decided to say "see ya" to Ko as well and thanked him for everything (<- you usually say this to people you're not planning to see again, and sure enough, Ohana has no intention of going back to Tokyo. She had to choose between her new home, Kissuiso, and Ko; she chose Kissuiso. Ko lost to an inn, which I guess is better than losing to another guy, in a way). This doesn't get any clearer than that. Ko has moved on from Ohana first. Now she has moved on for him. They then both lived happily ever after... with different partners.
Not so fast. All that you say is true. That is what the director is telling us right now. But we know that Ohana now recognizes she loves Kou, and her grandma has told her not to take one rejection as the final word. If it ends this way, fine. It's quite moving and real: she finally has a life that does not depend on Kou's help. But this show keeps hinting opposites to us. I'll be waiting to see the OP. And waiting for the possibility of Kou reappearing in a few episodes. "Ja" is not "mata ne," but it's also not "sayonara."

Whatever happens, of course, Ohana is the future Okami-san, for sure. Might her mother come back to take over the inn? I doubt it, but grandma's dream hinted at it. More hinting of opposites. Neat trick.

Anyway, I loved this episode. The fact that the ending gave the feel of a series end -- halfway through -- was also nice. And maybe, as people say, it's the end of her stage of incomplete commitment to the Inn (because of Kou). The Inn is her home now. I wonder what will happen next....

Sorry to spoil the party, but whatever happens, I would be very surprised if she ends up with Tohru. Largely because of her affection for Minchi, but also because I haven't seen the least hint of feeling toward him yet.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2011-06-26, 13:39   Link #19
Blaat

I suppose denial is a stage of grief: we see this with the shippers who keep on insisting there is still a chance left for Kou and we see this with Ohana: who's passiveness, inability to respond to Kou's feelings is the cause of the failed relationship and yet she managed to convince herself that she got dumped.
All sympathies I had for her are gone.
Old 2011-06-26, 13:59   Link #20
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
& YEEESSS! The Ko subplot is over, which marks the end of the first half of the series. I'm really glad Ohana went back to her regular lovable self. Conclusion of the first half: Kissuiso >>> Ko
Have you forgotten how the author is such a successful troll? I'm pretty sure Ko will eventually make a come-back in some way. One thing I am sure of at this stage is that Ohana won't be going out of her way to seek him out, or even to go back to Tokyo for that matter. She's decided to remain in Kissuiso, as you say.

Oh, and let's not delude ourselves into thinking Ohana rejected Ko. It was the other way around from what I can tell. Ohana's simply chose to accept it and move on with her own life.

Quote:
And the good news don't stop here! Next week's episode will finally focus on Yuina! And it's the long awaited beach episode! My body is ready.
When it's about Yuina, your body is never ready.

That being said, this was quite an amazing episode. It was heartwarming in every manner of speaking, and I have to admit at this point that I don't think Satsuki's as bad as I initially claimed. She has her downsides, like being a horrible mother for not caring about Ohana at all through her entire life, for being the type of person who doesn't think about what's truly right and wrong is works for money and nothing else, for being too flighty with guys and people in general, but she does have her good side. She gave good insight to how things could improve in the inn, and approved that Kissuiso is in fact a nice inn regardless and clearly has taken a liking to some of the people there (oh Nako-chi). It shows that she doesn't just care about herself, but knows how to read and understand people, after all. And tho I don't agree with her timing, she is showing sympathy towards Ohana now.

The family reunion was also excellently made. The discussion between Satsuki, Ohana and the granma, especially that part where Satsuki and her mom smiled at each other. Tho they have their differences, it shows that in the end, they can get along with each other but don't like to admit it (the way Ohana did admit she loves her mom, which I find admirable). Ohana's conversation with her granma was beautiful. It's the longest convo they've had together in the entire series, as pointed out by Ohana, which to me shows that they are getting closer, and Ohana's really showing a knack for knowing how to treat customers, which Satsuki probably picked up on as well when the deed was done.

All in all, it was a brilliant ep showing a family get-together that didn't turn out to be the bloodbath everyone thought it would be, and was really touching in the process.
Closed Thread