AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-07-02, 15:45   Link #41
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Enjoyed episode one. It had the gentle sweetness of the original, even if so much else was different. It took me a while to slow down to the required pace. But I really got off on the photographic backgrounds. Great feeling of Hokkaido. I thought the animation of the faces was excellent, even if the voices sometimes didn't match the lip-movements. Hanazawa Kana was very good, with a slightly different version of what was identifiably her voice, but with feeling. I look forward to photographic backgrounds of Tokyo next week.

Once again, I watched the Horrible Raws version, with all the TV ads before, during, and after the show. Love it.

And I thought both the OP and ED were excellent, particularly the quality of the singers' voices (THYME and micc, respectively). These women can sing.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 16:21   Link #42
Claes
Claes lover

What video codec did that raw file use? I cant play it
Currently using klite mega codec pack 163
Old 2008-07-02, 16:35   Link #43
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep1:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 16:44   Link #44
Claes
Claes lover

Just watch it
MINDBREAKING BACKGROUND!!!
The artwork for the background is SUPERB!!!
Way better than the original someday's dreamer (thought for character design, I prefer the original someday's dreamer)
The music, still as good as ever. OP and ED, well, I prefer the original someday's dreamer
Old 2008-07-02, 16:56   Link #45
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claes View Post
What video codec did that raw file use? I cant play it. Currently using klite mega codec pack 163
Since you have now seen it, I guess you got it working, but if you mean the HR raw, here's the info: VLC tells me that it's using a video codec called Windows Media Video 9 Advanced, and for audio Windows Media Audio 9.1. I had no trouble playing it. The CCCP codec pack works like a charm for me on just about everything (in conjunction with ZoomPlayer, and occasionally VLC).
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 16:59   Link #46
Claes
Claes lover

It work this time
Good ol winamp >_<
Old 2008-07-02, 20:48   Link #47
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Spoiler for ep1:
I agree. I was enjoying the beautiful backgrounds and pretty animation (wish the art was more like the poster on the first page). I also only noticed the BGM while the snow was falling. It's like a mix of celtic oldschool samurai music. Difficult to describe, but I really liked it.
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 23:11   Link #48
NakedAngelX

Truly stunning backgrounds, looks soooo real...
So there's a 1st season? I'll go watch first season before i watch this then
Old 2008-07-02, 23:11   Link #49
Ottocycle

It's been a long time since I heard such a great OP song. Last one I thought was remotely similar in the style and feeling it gave was Nodame's Konna Chikaku de.
As for the BGM, it sounds a little like what would probably come out of Spice and Wolf, just a little mellower. I look forward to the tracks Haketa would be using for the subsequent episodes, since the quaint country feeling will be gone. I hope for just one more piece of piano to appear.
And as said, the photographic backgrounds were awesome.

OP release date: 6th August. Damn!

Oh and what happened to the franchise logo? I thought that was pretty nice.
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-02, 23:43   Link #50
dxgarten

Episode 1 Screencaps/summary/OP-ED

Spoiler:
dxgarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 01:25   Link #51
kari-no-sugata

Interesting series and fairly enjoyable first episode.

Regarding the backgrounds, I wouldn't think it'd be that hard to take a good set of photos in a reasonably short time - for the most part, it seems a fairly fixed algorithm has been applied (boost colour separation and apply particular type of smoothing to give it a more anime like look) but I feel that some manual clean-up has been done too. It does rather feel like the shots were mostly taken specifically for the show, though some could be from a catalogue (particularly the less scenic shots).

I think it's not so much that the "live action" backgrounds are a problem per say, but that they contrast too heavily with the fairly simple character designs. I think I could get used to it but it was rather distracting at first.

I wonder if the slow pacing (more suitable for rural area) will pick up in the bustling city? I don't particularly mind either way though.

Another conflicting feeling I had in the back of my mind while watching this was a bit unfair - I couldn't help notice that HAL is doing the animation here (since their logo is rather prominent), and next season they'll be doing what has been my favourite manga for several years, Skip Beat. That series has (or should have) a completely different pacing and set of character personalities and so much focus on the backgrounds would be really jarring - apart from both being set in Tokyo, they're almost polar opposites. That being said, HAL does seem to have done quite a variety of shows.

Anyway, I'll definitely be watching the next episode...
kari-no-sugata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 02:04   Link #52
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
I wonder if the slow pacing (more suitable for rural area) will pick up in the bustling city?
If anything, the first season (whose action is set on Tokyo during the whole run) may indicate that it will probably not pick up. Not that it's a bad thing.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 03:35   Link #53
Impz
Insanity Anime Blogger

I have set up an entry for the first episode.

Oh, Whitelight fansubs will be working on this. The translation is already done, so 2-3 days should be the longest period for waiting before this episode is released. Enjoy ^^.
Impz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 06:21   Link #54
Hazard

Yay, looking forward to it.
Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 06:38   Link #55
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
ep 1
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 07:40   Link #56
Ottocycle

@DKZ The promo image was taken out of the manga, so if you want more of that, it's there.
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 10:20   Link #57
Lesca

I really liked the first episode, it's pace is different to what I have been watching lately so it makes a nice change, and it does remind me of a "slice o' life" series which I tend to like. I think Hanazawa Kana has a lovely voice as Sora and the BGM music and OP was really something ^_^
Old 2008-07-04, 15:57   Link #58
ChronoReverse

Looking forward to fansubs. I liked the original so much that I purchased the original tanks. Of which I'm twice as glad that I did so because of the colour pages >_>
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 17:34   Link #59
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Ooh, boy, I am going to love this series.

Brief summary of the things I loved from Hal's approach:
  • The setting. The attention they put on the calm and stillness of day to day life was superb. And even then, they didn't lose the track and managed to tell the side story of the first episode very well. With few words they achieved in a single episode what other shows can't do in 26 dialog-heavy episodes. This is what makes me love the Straight Story-like approach to narration, where several side characters join in to add their own, almost completely unrelated subplot.
  • The backgrounds, though a bit shocking at first, help a lot when trying to recreate the ideal slice of life feeling.
  • Takefumi Haketa's music is as beautiful as always--but the choice of only playing it in key moments deserves some praise, as well.
  • The seiyuu were good. Nothing out of this world, but satisfying all in all. Though I am a bit bothered at the lack of some form of inaka-ben throughout most of the cast (only Sora's mom seemed to throw in very few inaka-ish expressions, even though her voice had that characteristic funny entonation). I have to say that it spoils the atmosphere a bit, but not enough to make me really bothered.

All in all, this show is the one that is the closest to capture the true essence of what, in my opinion, should be the ideal of slice of life. Hal is about to dethrone their very own Aria as the image to aspire to. Which is good--innovation is always welcome

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.

Last edited by WanderingKnight; 2008-07-04 at 17:55.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-05, 19:44   Link #60
Seravy
Dorothy-chaaan~!

nice 1st episode. the bg detail is JAW dropping! not so fond of the character art though (especially considering the standard the manga sets). absolutely love the OP! (I <3<3 THYME)
Seravy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slice of life