AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-07-08, 04:58   Link #21
NarutoHead

Send a message via AIM to NarutoHead
well i just watched episode 90 and i take back everything I said.

the simple answer to this thread's question is

no
Old 2004-07-08, 06:18   Link #22
Ratix

Send a message via AIM to Ratix Send a message via MSN to Ratix
Tons. Naruto doesn't interest me. At all. My personal interest in Animes are Mystery anime or mysterious animes. Naruto is just... not my taste. If you somewhat have the same taste as I have, I recommend these:
.hack//sign(Sign only, not Udeden)
Gilgamesh
Monster

More to come, I have yet to watch Lain... >_>.
Old 2004-07-08, 13:22   Link #23
donna8157

Hmm. I enjoy Naruto a lot also. So here are some suggestions:

Rurouni Kenshin - 95 Eps with 2 OVAs and a movie. Great samurai historical anime series. =) Wonderful characters and a great plot that is up to Kyoto Arc.

Juuni Kokki- Beautiful animation, music, and great plot. Action/Fantasy/Adventure

Princess Tutu - As kiddy as it sounds, it's actually really a great series. ^_^ Beautiful animation, music, and such.

Samurai Champloo - One of the more recent series that is really wonderful =D

There are a lot more .. but these are ones that you should definitely check out.
Old 2004-07-08, 14:52   Link #24
black_king

Well I havent seen much animes as yet But here are my Fav as of Now!
Cowboy Bebop- Great One!
Berserk-Good anime except the last 10 minutes or so.
Witch Hunter Robin- yea gets better after episode 13 as all told me and i agree.
Rouruni Kenshin- Very Good and my Fav till Episode 61.
Naruto-One of the best for sure
And I dont agree that One Piece and Hunter X Hunter is Better than Naruto , No way I have seen those 2 and Naruto Kick their ass . Naruto has a lot more depth that those 2.
I am going to start watch the animes suggested by the peeps here and hope to find some good ones which will be good if they can beat any of the above!!
Old 2004-07-08, 15:54   Link #25
bubblehead

Send a message via Yahoo to bubblehead
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeppelinJ0
Infinite Ryvius - think Lord of the Flies in space!!!
O.o

That would suck. BIG TIME.

No offense or anything, but I hate Lord of the Flies. Granted the movie makes the book look like a great piece of literature and an entertaining romp, because the movie is so bad, but I still don't like the book.

...As for things I do like, I like Airmaster. The fight scenes are about my personal favorite of what I've seen in anime, the characters are likeable (though stupid) and there's a fair bit of comedy (which wouldn't happen if the characters weren't so stupid). Granted, it's not perfect (sometimes they delay the fights a bit much and it's more a series of miniplots than one continuous one) but it's still extremely entertaining. I recommend this one as much as I can.

Also, there's Rurouni Kenshin. It's very silly and likeable (TV series only here, don't like the OVAs and haven't seen the movie) but afterawhile I do get tired of the fighting, as it starts to remind me more and more of DBZ (which I don't like). I haven't seen past the Kyoto arc.

I second the Cowboy Bebop recommendation, it's one of my favorite animes and has about my second favorite fight scenes. And you can't forget the space dogfights.

I actually haven't seen Naruto, just read the manga in Shonen Jump every month, but I like it.

That's just the few animes I like that are more similar to Naruto than most stuff I watch (which is more "cute" and less action).
Old 2004-07-09, 05:28   Link #26
NarutoHead

Send a message via AIM to NarutoHead
i reccomond something totally different from Naruto's genre.

go watch some drhama anime, maybe some high school comedy.

Go completely left field, you'd be amazed.

I mean, look @ naruto's dls, 5,000 plus seeds. There's no question about it, Naruto does what it does really well.

but there's been plenty of great anime moments when I wasn't watching Naruto.
Go spelunking around this forum and dl something from each reccomondation post. You'd have some fun trust me.
Old 2004-07-11, 17:56   Link #27
pkblaze100

Naruto is still my personal fav, but here are a couple that i have really enioyed anyway

.hack/sign....for gods sake PLEASE watch it in Japanese (with subs)....translation is painfull to watch. Its not in the same genre but definetly worth watching anyway

One Peice - YEAH TO PIRATES, this is a little bit more humorous overall then Naruto, but watch to episode 15 or so then decide if you like it or not. I didn't really care for it at first, but it has grown on me

Hunter x Hunter: Overall very very good, not as good as Naruto, but don't skip it

I would start with these three, you have about 200 episodes, so it should keep you busy for a bit
Old 2004-07-11, 20:46   Link #28
luniz

Hunter x Hunter >>>> Naruto

I think One Piece is as good as Naruto.

I liked Hikaru no Go, Noir, Berserk, Now & Then, Here & There, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Shingetsu Tsukihime, Boys Be, Witch Hunter Robin, and Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien more than Naruto. Oh yea and Scryed, and Key the Metal Idol.
Old 2004-07-12, 19:07   Link #29
Ryu_Hiragoshi

Send a message via AIM to Ryu_Hiragoshi Send a message via MSN to Ryu_Hiragoshi Send a message via Yahoo to Ryu_Hiragoshi
I'm sorry that I have to be the one to say this.

Japanese Animation is so veried that everybody's answers are going to be different. It's no different with any thing else on this planet. This thread really sickens me because everybody's B!tching about what they think is the best and it really just comes down to one opinion versus another.

My advice to the original poster is to think about what types of movies YOU like and try to find series and movies that will fit your tastes. Don't waste your time going to everyone else because in the end you'll just end up watching what everyone else likes and nothing you like because you FAILED to do a little research on your part.

Rant over

Hirakashi Ryu
Old 2004-07-12, 20:38   Link #30
wnkryo
HainShodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinobi_shay
Blah! Naruto bitch slaps all those titles.

Sorry but soppy drama and lame romance anime make me cringe.

*Shudders at the tissues comment*

Naruto bitch slaps Great Teacher Onizuka? Are you crazy? nononono.....

Matter of fact I don't think you EVER seen GTO. So please just shhhhhhh
Old 2004-07-12, 20:44   Link #31
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

If you like Naruto and Inuyasha, give Hunter x Hunter a try. It's in the same genre, but the series is of a more manageable length and pretty much stomps all over most other shounen action series in terms of everything from fight scenes to character development.
Old 2004-07-13, 12:52   Link #32
Imazul

Naruto is geatly inspired from HxH (the whole forest thing, Sasuke, "baka" hero) and it excels Naruto from all angle (in my humble opinion)

Sorry but I had to reply that after seeing the thread's title and some people stuff, go even Dragonball (original, Not Z or that GT crap) is better than Naruto.
Old 2004-07-13, 13:53   Link #33
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

I don't think you can go as far as to say that Naruto is inspired by Hunter_x_Hunter. The entire genre builds upon itself just like anything else- true originality is near impossible. I mean, was Hunter the first action anime to have forest scenes ala Naruto? No, definitely not.

You will find people who prefer Naruto and people who prefer hunter. I belong to the former group, because I believe that Naruto, in the stylistic sense, achieves a great deal of originality. The entire world that the anime creates seems to have its own distinct flavor- I can't quite put my finger on how to otherwise explain it. In addition, characters in Naruto have a greater amount of depth than characters in other shounen series such as Hunter- partly because of the flashback scenes that some people whine about. To me, no episode of Naruto can be boring because I care so much about each of the characters.

One thing I don't understand is why many people- even admitted Naruto fans- don't like the main character. I think that the main character is very admirable- he works hard and strives towards a dream, constantly gives viewers a reason to laugh, and portrays the theme of free will over causality

Spoiler:

I could see people complaining about him if he was flat- if all we saw was his baka side, but we are frequently given very sincere looks into his psyche. He has become, in my opinion, a very well developed and likable character.

OK, end of Narutard rant
Old 2004-07-13, 16:40   Link #34
Imazul

The point if not a forest scene, that was a very low interpretation of a point given.

If you watch Hunter x Hunter you can see that there is a test to become a Hunter. And 1 step from this test is alot like the Naruto forest arc.

Theres alot more point in common (like I stated the Kurapika/Sasuke thing) but of course someone has cultivated has a Naruto fanboy in watching anime should have already seen them.

I have nothing against Naruto (in fact I like the Manga alot) but I am heavily against the use of therms such as

Quote:
Is there any anime that Better than Naruto?
I find that to be insulting to the anime world.
Old 2004-07-14, 00:42   Link #35
Mankool

Well.... I think Naruto is the best... But thats because I'm a Narutard...
Other Suggestions:
--- Narutaru (Shadow Star)
--- Trigun

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarutoHead
well i just watched episode 90 and i take back everything I said.

the simple answer to this thread's question is

no
This is soooo true!
Old 2004-07-14, 01:34   Link #36
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

The original poster should check out Hunter x Hunter and One Piece like others have suggested them to do so... they're both very good shows...

here are my suggestions: PlanetES and Full Metal Panic ...
Old 2004-07-14, 04:02   Link #37
Aegis
生與死

Location: A place where it is not seen,it is not heard,just pure emptyness and beyond
my neighbour totoro ..would pwn naruto anyday and year...naruto is way too overrated...sure it was great..but its getting very shallow and bottoming out IMO
Old 2004-07-14, 10:32   Link #38
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis
naruto is way too overrated...sure it was great..but its getting very shallow and bottoming out IMO
???......bottoming out?.......most people would agree that the series is really starting to pick up again (although I don't think it ever stopped being fantastic).

I will admit that the forever prolonged Hokage/Orochimaru battle was kind of...well...odd, but that is the only fault I personally see.

The characters continue to become deeper and more interesting- and more interesting characters are being introduced- Tsunade, Itachi, etc.

I just don't understand how you can't like this series. I really like a lot of series- Gilgamesh, Scrapped Princess, Lodoss War, Lain, and Tsukihime just to name a few- but Naruto takes the cake as my favorite.
Old 2004-07-14, 10:39   Link #39
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imazul
The point if not a forest scene, that was a very low interpretation of a point given.

If you watch Hunter x Hunter you can see that there is a test to become a Hunter. And 1 step from this test is alot like the Naruto forest arc.

Theres alot more point in common (like I stated the Kurapika/Sasuke thing) but of course someone has cultivated has a Naruto fanboy in watching anime should have already seen them.

I have nothing against Naruto (in fact I like the Manga alot) but I am heavily against the use of therms such as

I find that to be insulting to the anime world.

There have been other training scenes in forests in anime- I assure you- just off the top of my head, Yu Yu Hakusho has a similar scene if my memory serves me correctly.

And badass characters like Sasuke and Kurapika are a dime a dozen- every shounen anime has to have one- and many of them lose their families and loved ones. What makes Sasuke unique is his twisted relationship with his brother and the stark contrast and friendship he has with Naruto.

It seems our positions are reversed- I read the HxH manga and watch the Naruto anime. I considered watching the HxH anime once, but I just don't think I could stand Hisoka with BLOND hair (needs to be white).

And for every person, there probably is a "best" anime. For an apparently large number of people that anime is Naruto- so perhaps...heh heh heh....there aren't any better animes to Naruto- atleast to myself and the threadstarter.
Old 2004-07-14, 13:30   Link #40
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

unfortunately there is a tragic "disease" (read: cliche) that Naruto suffers from: they always have several fights at once (except during the anime's current arc, which is why it's one of my favorites) and skip back and forth between them. The Hokage-Orochi battle was especially plagued by this (they cut to their battle and then had NOTHING happen except the hand move a few inches...I'M NOT EXAGGERATING) Naruto-Gaara and Orochi-Hokage were excellent fights until the Hokage fight got into the "stalemate" and began continually interrupting the Naruto/Gaara fight.
It's not the first time (nor will it be the last) even during the Zabuza saga...well actually i detest the last few episodes of the Zabuza saga since the first 5 minutes of each episode was a recap of the previous one....NOT an enjoyable thing when you're watching episodes consecutively. It wasn't that exciting to cut from the Haku-Sasuke/Naruto fight to the stalemated Kakashi-Zabuza fight over and over again.
Closed Thread