AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-04, 22:24   Link #1
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

SOTM 2010 - November (Steampunk OR Cyberpunk) - Entry Thread

!!!Welcome to the SOTM!!!

~Congratulations to Marina for winning the October Contest!~

The theme chosen for November is - Steampunk Or Cyberpunk.
What is that? See here for details.

About the SOTM:
The Signature Of The Month contest is open to all members of the Animesuki Forums. The goal of the contest is to provide a fun and competitive way of showing off and improving the signatures and personal skills of contestants. The winner of each months contest is given the privilege of choosing the theme for the next month.

The contest begins on the first of each month and consists of roughly two weeks of entry creation/submission, one week of voting, and one week off. The entry and voting periods may be extended or shortened slightly as needed.

About the SOTM Theme:
Each month prospective contestants are given a theme to base their entries on. This theme is decided by the winner of the previous contest. The theme can be anything, as long as it does not break forum rules regarding inappropriate material. At the end of the month, voters choose which entries they liked best out of all submitted entries and a new winner is decided. Themes cannot be used twice in a row.

The Rules of the SOTM:

1. Contestants are allowed to create, work on, and submit their entry from the start of the contest until two weeks from the start date. This period of time is specified by the organizer every month. Once the entry period expires, all submitted entries are gathered up and sent to the Voting Thread.

2. Contestants must submit original works. This means you cannot simply cut a picture out, slap your name on it, and call it your own. Claiming someone else's work as your own is also not allowed. Anyone caught doing this will have their entries removed from the contest.

To further expand on this rule:
2A. Unless proven otherwise, all entries made by contestants are derivatives of works made by someone else. Thus, no claim of "ownership" shall be made in reference to the image(s) used in the signature entry.

2B. Misrepresenting someone else's signature work for your own is prohibited and will result in an immediate expulsion of the entry and disqualify the contestant from the current month's contest.

2C. In the spirit of originality, "crop" sigs are frowned upon, but not discouraged; however, the contest organizer can call upon all contestants to show the source of their entry(ies) at any time.

2D. Also in the spirit of originality, new signatures are encouraged. However, if you feel one of your older signatures is perfect for the theme and wish to enter it, you may. Just remember that the signature still has to follow the rules stated above.
3. Contestants are allowed to create as many entries as they wish, but are only allowed to enter one. To submit an entry officially, the contestant must mark the post in the Offical Entry Thread containing that entry with the words "Final Entry", or they can submit the signature to the contest organizer using the private message function.

4. Contestants who wish to keep their entries private until after the submission period can private message the contest organizer with their entry. The entry will not be displayed until submissions are closed, unless the contestant displays that entry publicly.

5. Entries must comply with Animesuki rules regarding signature size. This means each entry can be no larger than 500 x 160, and must be less than 50,000 bytes. They must also comply with forum decency rules. If you think your entry will be offensive or reported to the moderators, don't post it, even as a joke.

About the SOTM Entry Process:

Every month, a new entry thread is created. Each month's entry thread is a central spot meant to give contestants a chance to create and improve their entries as well as their skills, in addition to providing them a place to post their official submissions.
The thread is solely about helping contestants with entries, and as such these things will not be tolerated:
1. Nonconstructive and negative criticism (if you truly dislike something about an entry, be polite and helpful)

2. Comments, questions, or complaints about General SOTM affairs

3. Flaming, trolling, and other uncivil behavior that breaks Forum Rules
Anyone disrupting the thread will be asked to take it privately, to the SOTM Generic Discussion Thread, or if the offense is severe enough - reported to the moderators.

This Month's Entry Period::

This months entry period officially starts Thursday, November 4th, 2010 and lasts until Friday, November 26th, 2010. Entries will be gathered and put up for voting on Sunday, November 28th, 2010. Voting will end on the following Sunday.

The due date ends at 11:59 (midnight basically) UTC/GMT. The polling will be up one day later after 11:59 (again, midnight). I will try to be as lenient as I can with last minute submissions but only slightly.

It is up to you as a contestant to know what your time zone is in relation to UTC/GMT. I cannot do this for you.

Here is a site that can help you figure that out: http://www.worldtimeserver.com/convert_time_in_UTC.aspx

Good luck to all contestants, and most importantly, have fun!!!
Old 2010-11-05, 04:33   Link #2
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

final entry
Old 2010-11-05, 05:33   Link #3
Namiey
is busy...
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Namiey
my try:

c&c?
Old 2010-11-05, 09:32   Link #4
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

I worked on those 2 sig hoping than they would fit the cyberpunk theme: C&C would be welcome.

Old 2010-11-05, 10:56   Link #5
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

Namiey, I like it
ganbaru, I like the first better, it has very good colors and blending. maybe adding some text would make it even better

Here is my first try, I decided to do it originally without some pics, so here it is.....

c&c? Please
Old 2010-11-05, 13:20   Link #6
Cierra
Pieces Of Me
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Cierra
FINAL ENTRY

Thanks to KiNa for this lovely signature =3
Old 2010-11-05, 15:53   Link #7
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cierra View Post
FINAL ENTRY
Very nice....but the girl seems to stand out a little more making her out of place somewhat.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2010-11-05, 19:11   Link #8
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

@ganbaru, second is better and fits the theme more.
Old 2010-11-05, 19:49   Link #9
Haladflire65
*Artist

@ganbaru: I like the first better personally but I agree that the second fits the theme a bit more.

My first try:

Old 2010-11-05, 22:44   Link #10
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

@milan kyuubi May I suggest either to blend more the render or to add a buffer area around it.

@ felix and Haladflire65, I know than the second try would fit better the theme, maybe I should add the cables of the second to the render of the first ?
Old 2010-11-05, 22:53   Link #11
Kagayaki

edit: snipped, we don't need this like 5 times on the same page...

Hmmmm, suggestions?

@ganbaru: Yeah, I think that would work really well.

Last edited by Kagayaki; 2010-11-05 at 23:08.
Old 2010-11-05, 22:56   Link #12
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagayaki View Post

Hmmmm, suggestions?

@ganbaru: Yeah, I think that would work really well.
I think the main thing is that the text pops out a little too much. Maybe try a darker red?
Old 2010-11-05, 23:04   Link #13
Kagayaki

Yeah, I think that's a good call. Thanks.

Last edited by Kagayaki; 2010-11-06 at 15:56.
Old 2010-11-06, 02:52   Link #14
JuJuBeez

Final Entry

Last edited by JuJuBeez; 2010-11-14 at 19:43.
Old 2010-11-06, 04:59   Link #15
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

New versions......

Steampunk:
V2

Cyberpunk:

c&c? please
Old 2010-11-06, 06:55   Link #16
Mr. Wang
Scholar of Yanderes
*Author

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Wang
Quote:
Originally Posted by milan kyuubi View Post
New versions......

Steampunk:
V2

Cyberpunk:

c&c? please
Hmm... alright. For v2 of the Steampunk, the text comes off to me as... out of place. It still looks a bit flat, try making it... pop a bit more. In my opinion, I think that the blending applied to the character and the background looks a tad... unusual. I would personally make him less faded-looking.

Cyberpunks... well, the first one is Megaman... The sig looks good... but I see the Cyber, I just can't see the Punk. Perhaps it is a certain point of view of the theme. With just the image supplied alone, with the background, I just don't feel much of the cyberpunk theme...
The second one, I like much better. It fits the theme, and we have a bit of a Matrix look to it. We've got some tubes and a central orb radiating from the center of the man/machine's chest. That all looks good. My current concern, is the background. While I do like the vertical lines of computer code text, the object being depicted on the left looks out of place (that looks to be what I could only assume is a compass, meter, or watch of some sort). I would recommend placing something such as a computer interface, or futuristic metallic-looking patterns instead. After that, I think it'll look really good.
Old 2010-11-06, 14:00   Link #17
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

I added some blended cables to the render and thinking about some text for it:

C&C would be welcome.
Old 2010-11-06, 17:35   Link #18
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagayaki View Post

Yeah, I think that's a good call. Thanks.
Text is now too dark and hard to read. Try to make it lighter and blend it into the background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milan kyuubi View Post
New versions......

Steampunk:
V2

Cyberpunk:

c&c? please
The render in the first sig blends too much into the background, and the sig feels a bit flat? The font doesn't work well with the sig (says someone who sucks at fonts ). Second sig feels too cute for a Cyberpunk theme. Third sig fits the theme but it lacks depth and detail. Need some lighting and the Matrix background stands out too much.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Old 2010-11-06, 20:54   Link #19
Mr. Wang
Scholar of Yanderes
*Author

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Wang
Okay, here's my first attempt. I am surprised I even made myself get an early start, the past two months I've made sigs on the final day of submissions. At least I've got lots of time to improve. Anyway, it isn't the best, and to me, I still think the designs and text on the left looks flat in contrast to the rest of the image, but I'd like to hear what you guys think. If any of you have advice on how to remedy the... "flatness" of certain parts of sigs, that'd be great. If not, I'll probably have to ditch the machine-like design on the left in place of something that... fits in more.
Old 2010-11-06, 21:21   Link #20
CMSensei
Formerly -> CMHerrera
*Graphic Designer

Okay! Ver. 1
Does this fit the theme well enough?

CM-san's Mystical Creations

"The one who can win
against me, is me!"

- Daiki Aomine
Closed Thread

Tags