AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Sakurasou

Notices

View Poll Results: Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo - Episode 7 Rating
Perfect 10 14 21.54%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 14 21.54%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 23.08%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 16.92%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 7.69%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.54%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 3.08%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 3.08%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-11-23, 20:11   Link #61
bastek66

Which parts of episode were original and which are in LNs?
Old 2012-11-23, 21:22   Link #62
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastek66 View Post
Which parts of episode were original and which are in LNs?
Spoiler for comparison:
Old 2012-11-23, 23:20   Link #63
bastek66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Spoiler for comparison:
Threesome or foursome?
Old 2012-11-23, 23:23   Link #64
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Three of them refers to Sorata, Mashiro and Nanami
Old 2012-11-29, 16:33   Link #65
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I'd been putting Sakurasou off because of this episode, and the fact that there's probably no anime trope I'm more tired of than the little sister who's a brocon and screams "Onii-chan!" constantly.

And yet... I rather enjoyed this episode.

The reason is that I'm pretty confident that this episode is to the Ore no Imoutos of the world what Scary Movie is to serious horror films.

In other words, this was so over-the-top that I really have to think it's lampooning these anime tropes moreso than playing them straight. And taken that way, I found it very funny and gratifying. Simply put, this episode did a great job of poking fun at the little sister brocon archetype.

It's possible that I'm wrong here, of course, but I honestly doubt it. This is the first character I've seen come virtually out of nowhere, to act like a total scenery-chewing caricature, since I watched Excalibur in Soul Eater. And he was definitely a joke character.

So yeah, I think the only scenes in this episode with possible lasting significance are the cuter Sorata/Nanami ones. And those were genuinely very nice and promising.

8/10 overall (but only because I'm taking this episode as 90% lampoon, and 10% possible serious romance development between Sorata and Nanami).
Old 2012-11-29, 17:22   Link #66
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Not much of the episode.

We got jealousy building on. Rivals are becoming obvious.

Yeah, fan service...
Old 2012-12-04, 07:17   Link #67
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
So I also put off Sakurasou because I heard bad things about this episode and... Yep those people were right...

This is just the Hanasaku Iroha episode 3 incident all over again. I know Okada didn't personally write this episode, but w/e you put ur name on series composition, so I'm blaming you! (just kidding)

Sigh...

Just because you are making fun the tropes you are using, doesn't mean you get to do it in the most annoying, faceplant, unsubtle and bulldozing way possible. No, this isn't a parody, this is just pure untasteful fanservice which does not move the plot nor develop character. Shame on you Sakurasou.

For an example of how to do a parody correctly, Daily Lives of High School Boys is a good example... half the time at least.

However, I expected it and therefore I am no where remotely close to attached to this show as I was to that, so I'm not raging like I did a year ago... but you know, it still bloody sucks because the last episode was really good...

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2012-12-04 at 07:28.
Old 2012-12-04, 12:59   Link #68
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Just because you are making fun the tropes you are using, doesn't mean you get to do it in the most annoying, faceplant, unsubtle and bulldozing way possible. No, this isn't a parody, this is just pure untasteful fanservice which does not move the plot nor develop character.
I think that's the point though. I view it as a satirical commentary on just how horribly flanderized the "lolicon little sister who is a brocon" archetype has become.

Sorata's sister is totally, 100% obsessed with her brother. Aside from liking video games, her character is a complete "lolicon blank slate" defined entirely by her being a diehard brocon. And in a cast where the major characters are more multifaceted than their major quirk(s) might lead you to believe, the paper-thin shallowness of Sorata's sister really stands out.

Other reasons why I think this is a lampoon rather than playing a trope straight:

1. The cartoonish way that Sorata's sister was used for scene transitions.

2. That Sorata himself never really gives in to his sister's mania. Usually when the "brocon little sister" is played straight, there's a heartwarming "D'AAWWW" moment designed to sort of justify the trope (even Ore no Imouto has some of these). That moment is when the brother shows genuine warmth and love to his little sister, and in an unambiguous way. We don't really get that here, and I find that lack of a "D'AAWWW" sibling moment telling.

3. Sorata's sister hasn't been heard from since this episode, or even referenced.

So on the whole, I think she's a joke character that hopefully will only show up in another episode or two (because as gratifying as I found the lampooning of the little sister brocon archetype, the joke can get old fast, and I think the archetype critique is most effective if Sorata's sister never advances beyond a joke character).
Old 2012-12-13, 03:34   Link #69
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Spoiler for Seriously?:
Mark Jackson: Are you kidding me? This should be against the law. Son! My goodness!

Quote:
Hinata-chan is now Kirito's youngest sister (sorry Leafa/Suguha).

Last edited by judasmartel; 2012-12-13 at 04:02.
Old 2012-12-13, 21:54   Link #70
judasmartel
*Author

Well, what I could say about Yuuko...

Her voice is the best performance I have ever heard from Yui Ogura, bar Ro-Kyu-Bu's Hinata-chan. I haven't heard her anywhere else before (though I know she has voiced quite a lot of anime for her relatively young career), but Yuuko giving off a boatload of "Hinata vibes" really drove me insane.

She's basically a cross between Hinata-chan and Last Order.
Old 2013-11-09, 06:33   Link #71
s07195
However,

A harem episode once in a while is fine too. XD

Also, I'm more and more certain that Mashiro is also a genius at trolling.