AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-10-02, 00:02   Link #1
kyon91
Starcraft 2 player

Send a message via Yahoo to kyon91
Exclamation MyAnimeList hacked?

Apparently all the news and most of forum topics are now "We're officially screwed".

I'm scared. My precious manga and anime lists

http://myanimelist.net/
Old 2011-10-02, 00:11   Link #2
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Folks, this is what happens when a site administrator gets really freaking bored.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 00:13   Link #3
Kyuu
=^^=

There's no ?. MAL has certainly been hacked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito_Kinomoto View Post
Folks, this is what happens when a site administrator gets really freaking bored.
No, it's more or less the case of an admin that kinda isn't caring much about the site. Well, not as much as he used to. Correct me if I am wrong - but - hasn't MAL been sold off to some company a few years ago?

Anyways, it's nothing to fret about. I exported my list.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 00:19   Link #4
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

This is probably a big prank, but I saved htm copies of my anime and manga lists just in case.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 00:21   Link #5
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Meanwhile, on Anime-Planet...
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 00:34   Link #6
Aesthetic Shampoo

I'm surprised people actually took the time to make their anime lists. I mean there's just so much to go through, how can you be bothered? Though if they did, then i would see why they'd be concerned for it
Aesthetic Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 01:01   Link #7
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnythesun View Post
I'm surprised people actually took the time to make their anime lists. I mean there's just so much to go through, how can you be bothered? Though if they did, then i would see why they'd be concerned for it
Simple. You make your list once. Then you update it afterwards, with each series you complete. I must admit: it does push me to watch more series than before; although, I will refuse to outright watch everything, as not all of them are worth my time. Crap is crap, after all.
Old 2011-10-02, 01:33   Link #8
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica

Whoever is hacking MAL's forums is at it again, this time using the hacked accounts of a user and a mod. I exported my lists after the first attack, but it looks like it's not going to be the last.
Old 2011-10-02, 01:44   Link #9
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldlight View Post
Whoever is hacking MAL's forums is at it again, this time using the hacked accounts of a user and a mod. I exported my lists after the first attack, but it looks like it's not going to be the last.
Looks like any "staff" member is a target for these attacks. At least so far - they've been tinkering with nothing more than the forum - unless they decided to raid the series database as well.
Old 2011-10-02, 01:47   Link #10
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Looks like any "staff" member is a target for these attacks. At least so far - they've been tinkering with nothing more than the forum - unless they decided to raid the series database as well.
Not just staff anymore, two an ordinary user has already become one of the victims in the latest attack that ended just a few minutes ago.

Last edited by Coldlight; 2011-10-02 at 01:49. Reason: the other one was also a mod
Coldlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 02:37   Link #11
Xinil
Blargh

Send a message via ICQ to Xinil Send a message via AIM to Xinil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito_Kinomoto View Post
Hah, I have better things to do with my time than screw with my users. Apparently the hacker doesn't though. In fact, he has all the time in the world to mess with people it seems.

We're trying to sort out the issues. Sorry for the troubles guys.
Xinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 02:43   Link #12
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Is it safe to access MAL at this moment?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 06:59   Link #13
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

o.O I really don't see the point of hacking MAL unless you're just that bored.

I made my list a long time ago...and forgot all about it lol.
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 08:53   Link #14
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Simple. You make your list once. Then you update it afterwards, with each series you complete. I must admit: it does push me to watch more series than before; although, I will refuse to outright watch everything, as not all of them are worth my time. Crap is crap, after all.
If I were making a tracking list of any importance to me, though, I'd make it on my own computer and not pass it out to some other website or server.

And if people work on their MAL lists just to show off to people and enlarge their ePeen, I think that's just silly. And it devalues the anime experience, I think.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 09:01   Link #15
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
And if people work on their MAL lists just to show off to people and enlarge their ePeen
Not everyone has a MAL account for such a purpose.
The advantage of online anime tracklists is that they provide you with much more information, much more than you can have in an offline tracklist.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 09:28   Link #16
zatsu-chan
I want u... now!!! meow~

is it ok to access it??? O_O arghhh why MAL! >,<
zatsu-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 09:52   Link #17
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica

Yes it is, the attacks already stopped several hours ago. Only the forum and some accounts were affected, as the hacker was using the compromised accounts of the site admin, some mods and users to flood MAL's forums with nonsensical, identical threads. Those threads have been deleted now. Changing your password is recommended.

Here is an announcement by a moderator about the issue:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=350643
Old 2011-10-02, 11:41   Link #18
Fahd
* >/dev/null

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldlight View Post
A big site is a big target. It shouldn't really be surprising that someone would try to mess around MyAnimeList. Presumably they'll have database/site backups so it'll only be time lost rather than (a large amount of) data. I'm more interested in how the admin accounts were compromised.

--edit--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Not everyone has a MAL account for such a purpose.
The advantage of online anime tracklists is that they provide you with much more information, much more than you can have in an offline tracklist.
Quite. They're also a good thing to have around if you want to ask for suggestions, as that way people will know what you've watched, dropped, etc. and so you'll get reasonable suggestions rather than some generic list (e.g. best titles in a genre).

Last edited by Fahd; 2011-10-04 at 21:36. Reason: typo
Fahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 12:55   Link #19
Puddingman

Wait, I don't understand. I'm using the site now and it seems fine. Do people just erase your anime lists? Is there any real danger in this, like accessing your computer files or anything?
Old 2011-10-02, 13:25   Link #20
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
And if people work on their MAL lists just to show off to people and enlarge their ePeen, I think that's just silly. And it devalues the anime experience, I think.
You can use it to find people who have a similar taste in anime as you, thus giving you something to talk about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddingman View Post
Wait, I don't understand. I'm using the site now and it seems fine. Do people just erase your anime lists? Is there any real danger in this, like accessing your computer files or anything?
As Coldlight said, the attacks have stopped, so it should be safe by now. If you're worried about your anime list, export it, or just save the webpage on your computer. And your computer shouldn't be at any risk at all if you have a good firewall and antivirus.

Now that the problem's solved, perhaps we can close this thread? Unless we really want to turn this into a "MyAnimeList general discussion thread".
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote