AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-05-16, 01:55   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 667 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

That time of week is here again! Credit goes to the regulars from 2chan/AP (T, CCC) for summary and translations:

-Chapter title is "COOL FIGHT". Ministory features Ivankov at the Kamabakka kingdom, confirming Luffy's return to sea.

-After getting filled in on the previous chapter's events by Chopper (in Sanji's body), Luffy decides to rescue Nami (in Franky's body). Franky (in Chopper's body) requests some rumble balls, and Chopper hands some over, though he warns him in advance that he won't be able to control its effects well. Thus, right when Luffy is about to set off for the rescue mission, he ends up getting attacked by Franky, who ends up going berserk from the effects of the drugs.....

-Meanwhile, CC says that he's only interested in Franky's beam technology, and nothing else. It also seems that he's preparing a counter-attack against the marines. We then cut to Nami and the Cool Bros. who are properly introduced. It seems the brothers are naked, and complain about the cold. Luffy and Franky are following their footprints, and during the chase Luffy blows away some stalagmites with a haki-infused Gatling. Unfortunately, Franky is still unstable and once again attacks his companion.

-The yeti bros. take advantage of the confusion and drop an iceberg on the two pirates, but Franky throws it back. It's at this point that Luffy's fed up with Franky's antics, and knocks him out with Elephant Gun. During the altercation, one of the brothers, Lock, escapes with Nami in tow.....

-Suddenly, Trafalgar Law appears in the middle of the fight, and splits the remaining brother Scotch in two with a technique called Counter Shock! The warlord then tells Luffy that Punk Hazard contains a key to stirring up the New World. He continues that in order to survive in that half of the GL, it's necessary to either ally with one of the four emperors, or challenge them. He already knows that Luffy won't follow anyone else's lead, so he offers him a proposition: The chance for the two of them to form an alliance and take down one of the Yonkou....!!!!

....Man, this storyline just gets deeper and deeper. So Law is gunning for the emperors now, is he? Personally, I'm thinking he'll go after either Blackbeard or Kaidou (hopefully the latter, since we still don't know much about him). And while I'm sure that there will be choruses of "LAW FOR NAKAMA" posts, I really don't expect Luffy to take him up on his offer. But hey, at least now we're getting somewhere with Law's reasons for hanging out at PH in the first place.....

BTW, I'm a bit sad that one of the yetis was apparently already defeated (though if he was just split apart, then he might not be out of the game, yet....). And Oda once again touches upon the subject of drug abuse with Franky's rumble rampage! Heh, makes me wonder if he'll still be addicted to the stuff once he goes back to his original body.

Anyways, chapter sounds really cool. Can't wait for the full release!
Old 2012-05-16, 04:18   Link #2
Darmill

Awesome spoiler, sounds promising!

Well nice to have Franky being the first one to use somebody else's body in combat. I think his performance wasn't too bad the way he countered one of those Yeti brothers' attacks. But once again, Law's abilities make those assassins look like fodder...

I can't rule out the possibility of Luffy teaming up with Law as the Shichibukai offers our protagonist the best chance to return the favor and to show his gratitude respectively.
Old 2012-05-16, 04:19   Link #3
Mateus

I wonder if this would be Law & Luffy vs Big Mom, that would be cool but Luffy would probably decline huh?
Old 2012-05-16, 05:48   Link #4
Jouten

If Law targets another emperor except Big Mam and Luffy accepts he will wage war against two emperors already.

I don't trust Law also...
Old 2012-05-16, 05:48   Link #5
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

For once I really hope that Luffy grows a brain. An alliance with Law is the most beneficial course of action for the two. Not only that but it would be nice to have not just the SH go one-on-one with an emperor's crew but also use their allies. From what we've seen aside from Shanks, emperors tend to have large crews AND from what Law tells us, most pirates in the NW are likely their allies, which further increases their numbers. It would make more sense if the SH beat these large groups with their own large group, rather than another 1 vs many scenario they are sadly so used to by now.

Not only that but Law didn't specify which emperor they would be taking out, so Luffy could very well use his help in dealing with his current target, Big Mam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
And Oda once again touches upon the subject of drug abuse with Franky's rumble rampage! Heh, makes me wonder if he'll still be addicted to the stuff once he goes back to his original body.
Unlikely. The body is what craves drugs once addiction kicks in more so than the mind. Meaning once they switch back to their original bodies Chopper, being already used to the drug, will have no problem re-adapting and Franky will have no physical craving for it. Psychologically there might be short term side effects but nothing that can't be brushed off by someone such as Franky. Plus, Franky is a cola addict so he can just go back to his old addiction
Old 2012-05-16, 07:22   Link #6
randomlex
In the eye of the storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
For once I really hope that Luffy grows a brain. An alliance with Law is the most beneficial course of action for the two. Not only that but it would be nice to have not just the SH go one-on-one with an emperor's crew but also use their allies. From what we've seen aside from Shanks, emperors tend to have large crews AND from what Law tells us, most pirates in the NW are likely their allies, which further increases their numbers. It would make more sense if the SH beat these large groups with their own large group, rather than another 1 vs many scenario they are sadly so used to by now.

Not only that but Law didn't specify which emperor they would be taking out, so Luffy could very well use his help in dealing with his current target, Big Mam.
Yeah, this would also be a perfect way for Luffy to fight Big Mam without seeming overpowered (even with two years of training, taking on a Yonkou alone should be very hard, if not impossible).
Old 2012-05-16, 08:49   Link #7
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Saw a few images of the chapter and looks exciting buts thats what a only a few images can do to you.
Liking the idea of Luffy and Law making a even temp alliance to fight a Yonkou.
It would be something different instead of seeing the SH go it alone at first and then teaming/picking up allies during the course of the "big fight with a big shot" arc.
Instead we could see Luffy teaming up that could very well stand on par with himself or even be stronger, thats a very interesting prospect.
Plus I think we could see some very funny interactions bewtten Law and his crew and the SH
If theres one thing Oda does well is show some very funny moments between characters you just wouldn't expect to see.
Old 2012-05-16, 10:31   Link #8
Rainbowman

Quote:
-Suddenly, Trafalgar Law appears in the middle of the fight, and splits the remaining brother Scotch in two with a technique called Counter Shock! The warlord then tells Luffy that Punk Hazard contains a key to stirring up the New World. He continues that in order to survive in that half of the GL, it's necessary to either ally with one of the four emperors, or challenge them. He already knows that Luffy won't follow anyone else's lead, so he offers him a proposition: The chance for the two of them to form an alliance and take down one of the Yonkou....!!!!
While Law is there, Luffy should ask him on how to revert the crewmembers Law encountered back to normal. Nami is going to get angrier for every second she remains in Franky's body.
Old 2012-05-16, 10:32   Link #9
marvelB

Looking at the spoiler images, I find it interesting that we still don't see the yeti brothers' faces even when they're finally given a proper introduction. They must have some really freaky mugs on them if that's the case.....

Anyhow, on the subject of the possible Luffy/Law alliance:

Quote:

You definitely make a good point and I agree with you (albeit to some extent). Personally, I still feel that Luffy will decline Law's offer, but maybe some of his fellow shipmates can help convince him to accept.

But that being said, I think there's still one thing to consider about this proposition: Whether or not Law can be completely trustworthy. Even if he did save Luffy's life during the war, there's still little to no doubt that he's a very shady character. So how do we know for sure that he wouldn't backstab his potential partner at the very last minute? Frankly, as much sense as it would make for Luffy to team up with other powerful pirates to take down the emperors, partnering with Law of all people seems a little TOO risky......

Quote:
Unlikely. The body is what craves drugs once addiction kicks in more so than the mind. Meaning once they switch back to their original bodies Chopper, being already used to the drug, will have no problem re-adapting and Franky will have no physical craving for it. Psychologically there might be short term side effects but nothing that can't be brushed off by someone such as Franky. Plus, Franky is a cola addict so he can just go back to his old addiction

Now again you make a sound argument. But I think you're forgetting something: Remember what Oda just revealed in the recent SBS? That's right, Rumble Ball Candy. Even if Franky doesn't get addicted to the morphing drug once he's back in his original body, he might end up gaining a sweet tooth for the candy version of it and will decide to add it as a snack to go along with his soft drinks!
Old 2012-05-16, 11:08   Link #10
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
You definitely make a good point and I agree with you (albeit to some extent). Personally, I still feel that Luffy will decline Law's offer, but maybe some of his fellow shipmates can help convince him to accept.

But that being said, I think there's still one thing to consider about this proposition: Whether or not Law can be completely trustworthy. Even if he did save Luffy's life during the war, there's still little to no doubt that he's a very shady character. So how do we know for sure that he wouldn't backstab his potential partner at the very last minute? Frankly, as much sense as it would make for Luffy to team up with other powerful pirates to take down the emperors, partnering with Law of all people seems a little TOO risky......
This can be said about any NW pirate aside from maybe the former WB crew and allies just because he was both Ace's little brother and WB protected him.
Aside from them, any of the supernovas are about as trustworthy as Law is, if not less.

I'll be honest, I don't much care who...but I want Luffy to start making allies outside of the islands he visits, I want him to make real pirate allies that will back him up against emperors. I still highly doubt that Luffy and his crew are strong enough to beat an emperor, even after the two years of training. That being said...we'll either have to wait until they actually grow strong enough or have them team up with someone. Any other resolution (like the SH beating Big Mam on their own) would be hard to believe for me.

Quote:
Now again you make a sound argument. But I think you're forgetting something: Remember what Oda just revealed in the recent SBS? That's right, Rumble Ball Candy. Even if Franky doesn't get addicted to the morphing drug once he's back in his original body, he might end up gaining a sweet tooth for the candy version of it and will decide to add it as a snack to go along with his soft drinks!
Cola and Candy...new SSSSUUUUUUPPPPAAAHHHHHH FFFFFUUUUUEEELLLL!!!
Let's just hope it doesn't have the same effect as cola+mentos.
Old 2012-05-16, 11:30   Link #11
marvelB

^Definitely agree in believing that Luffy and co. still aren't properly prepared to take on the emperors on their own just yet. Though at least in the case of Big Mom..... don't they at least have Jinbei (and I suppose the Sun pirate remnants) on their side? And yeah, there's still the Whitebeard remnants (and possibly Shanks' crew) as well, so it's not like they're totally on their own at this point.....

Quote:
Cola and Candy...new SSSSUUUUUUPPPPAAAHHHHHH FFFFFUUUUUEEELLLL!!!
Let's just hope it doesn't have the same effect as cola+mentos.

Why not? At the very least, it would inspire Franky to create a new SUPER-weapon!
Old 2012-05-16, 11:41   Link #12
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
^Definitely agree in believing that Luffy and co. still aren't properly prepared to take on the emperors on their own just yet. Though at least in the case of Big Mom..... don't they at least have Jinbei (and I suppose the Sun pirate remnants) on their side? And yeah, there's still the Whitebeard remnants (and possibly Shanks' crew) as well, so it's not like they're totally on their own at this point.....
Doubt Shanks would get involved, if he did the balance would be upset and the marines or other emperors could take advantage. If Shanks were to help take down Big Mam for example, it would be viewed by the WG as an emperor taking down another with his young allies. They could then take advantage of the aftermath of the battle.
If an unrelated alliance were to take down an emperor, to the WG it would just mean that another force of similar power to Big Mam took over in her steed, so the balance would remain and an attack by the marines would be unlikely.

However I do agree, I don't know about the rest of the sun pirates (To be honest, they didn't seem to have any strong players aside from Tiger and Jinbe) but the WB remnants would make for killer allies, especially if the division captains were still allied. A WB crew without WB is much weaker but still a major threat.

Then again...I'd rather see the new generation overtake the old one in the NW rather than being helped by other members of the old generation. So an alliance with Law, who seems to be on the best terms with the SH, could be quite interesting.

Quote:
Why not? At the very least, it would inspire Franky to create a new SUPER-weapon!
SUPER GEYSER CANNON!?
Old 2012-05-16, 11:48   Link #13
Homura7

We must take into account that if not for his worsening health Whitebeard would have sweeped the floor with the marines and Marineford in its whole. This shows us the colossal strenght of a Yonkou. And, despite Luffy will exponentially grow stronger as he progresses in his journey, I'm with Randrak here: no matter what, he can't take a Yonkou by himself, he can't defeat Big Mam alone. He NEEDS allies, and Law couldn't go better in order to achieve such accomplishment. Then he later might go in search for Eustass who already got into a fight with Big Mam's fleet.
Old 2012-05-16, 12:44   Link #14
Blackbeard D. Kuma

As if it wasn't obvious enough already for some, this chapter all the more asserted that the SHs alone can't take on an emperor yet. A potential alliance between Luffy and Law certainly could be very interesting; and as mentioned already, that's one of the only plausible ways for an emperor to be taken down.
Old 2012-05-16, 13:16   Link #15
Homura7

Face it already. The only Yonkou Luffy will take on alone is Blackbeard.
Old 2012-05-16, 13:27   Link #16
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurusu-Shirudo View Post
Face it already. The only Yonkou Luffy will take on alone is Blackbeard.
And this most definitely won't be anytime soon since Luffy still has a while to go before he reaches top-tier status.
Old 2012-05-16, 14:19   Link #17
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

Send a message via MSN to LeaD36
^blackbeard a yonkou? when? where? lol
i still believe shanks'll be the strongest emperor of em all =/
Funny how this series actually keeps being interesting for somebody who only reads about 1 in 40 chapters of it
Old 2012-05-16, 14:27   Link #18
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
"LAW FOR NAKAMA"
Yeti brothers for Nakama

Brown Beard for Nakama
Old 2012-05-16, 14:30   Link #19
andy

Chapter was good , a Luffy and Law team would be awesome .
Also Luffy has gotten smarter in the way he fights .
Old 2012-05-16, 14:37   Link #20
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Me thinks that Luffy will initially refuse Law's proposition, but then blackmailed into it to get his crew back to their original bodies.
Closed Thread