AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2022-06-29, 08:57   Link #41
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Been seeing some collab stuff, even from the Asobiba airsoft field.

Though the basic ones are pins, black shirts and velcro patches.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-07-01, 07:16   Link #42
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Found out that the ARCAM patch I preordered isn't out until September.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2022-07-01, 12:31   Link #43
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

So I've done watching the new Spriggan last week...and I do like it.

It really feels like action adventure anime from the 80s/90s but the setting got swapped with the smartphone era instead of Cold War. Because of that, certain aesthetic & narrative things feel a bit weird but not nearly enough to ruin my enjoyment.

And speaking of enjoyment, this show has some of the best fight choreography of the last decade that rival the likes of Jujutsu Kaisen. Granted, some of the CG cel-shading can look awkward but the show always firing on all cylinders whenever the action gets serious. Yu is a likable 90s-style protagonist in the era of social media and his highschool life gets a lot more screentime & adapted better here. I also really like Jean, Yoshino & Yu's twin classmates whenever they're on screen.

Anyway, when comparing the older Spriggan movie & this series, I think this video did a good job at it:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

All in all, Netflix Spriggan is a real neat show and it gave me more confidence that this director can handle the upcoming Gundam WFM, at least from the action department.
Old 2022-07-03, 05:12   Link #44
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

That video does.

I also recommend looking into that video too.

Old 2022-07-16, 19:34   Link #45
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Finally finished watching this. I'll get this out of the way; ep 5 was boring as f*k. Could not finish it. I watched the first 4 eps when this first came out, got to ep 5, and completely sapped my interest. Boring setup, annoying accompanying char, animation nosedived = interest lost. After several attempts, I just decided to skip it. Most episodes seem self-contained anyway.

Outside of that, I enjoyed the series. There are some questionable components in the story, like nearly every random antagonist knowing Yu is an agent at ARCAM with no obvious shortcomings, Yu's naivety, and how he just let his ARCAM compatriots die terrible deaths because of that naivety, but given this series was based on a story that came out in the early 90s(?), these elements aren't exactly surprising.

My favorite episodes were definitely 2, 3, and 6. Episodes are definitely better when the supporting cast can supplement the main character directly. Jean and Yoshino were great at this, and I'm glad we get Yoshino twice, since she is awesome and cute =03. I'm always sad missing the minor details, like when/how these chars met, their interactions for the first time, etc, but skipping these components for this kind of story and given the # of episodes seems ideal to maximize the chemistry of the characters. Ep 4 was kind of boring for the opposite reason ep 2,3,6 were great; no direct support char, and a robot(that has no interesting motivations) as an antagonist.

Several times its brought up that ARCAM may not be "on the side of justice" like Yu believes them to be, and it is rather suspicious that they monopolize the relics and then utilize their power for this so-called justice. Particularly in the last episode, the whole thing about his instructor leaving ARCAM and his final words are definitely setting up the concept of ARCAM turning out to be bad; or at least a faction within it turning bad, and then Yu having to betray them for his own idea of justice.

I could see myself returning to this series if another season is greenlit. Great action, and great supporting cast when they actually show up, makes for an entertaining watch.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote