AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2022-04-22, 19:05   Link #61
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magewolf View Post
So Eiko is a cute blonde bartender with self-esteem and daddy issues. I think the biggest fantasy element in the show is that she has managed to last this long with the giant neon "Take advantage of me" sign floating over her head.
She's had the owner looking out for her, and he's VERY protective. And she's extremely lucky to have him. I mean, this is the girl who brought a complete stranger who was drunk to her house and felt comfortable enough taking a shower while he was sobering up.
Old 2022-04-22, 19:45   Link #62
stray
Classic Tsundere

Aside from Owner looking vaguely yakuza the club scene tends to be fairly close knit no matter how big of a city you're in -- Kongming for example already knows plenty of woo girls in Roppongi just from scouting.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-25, 07:13   Link #63
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-25, 08:33   Link #64
Tenzen12

Spoiler for "Be Crazy for me" Full song music video:

Spoiler for "Shooting Star" Full song music video:
Old 2022-04-25, 10:51   Link #65
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
YouTube
I liked the avatar for Kongming.

This show has more commercial possibilities for P.A. Works than anything I can recall. The OP video has nearly 3.3 million views; the two versions of the rather forgettable OP for Appare-Ranman have fewer than 500,000 views together. The Sakura Quest OP in both versions comes in just short of a million views. The Shirobako OP, "Colorful Box," appears a number of times on YouTube, but even the most popular instance has fewer than 100,000 views.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-25, 16:14   Link #66
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
This show has more commercial possibilities for P.A. Works than anything I can recall.
"Wow, this anime is trending! Let's make a MV of one of Eiko's songs!"
"Oh crap, we were totally expecting the anime to bomb so we didn't have anything ready! Umm... Well, here is one illustration, let's add some words on screen..."

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-25, 17:12   Link #67
stray
Classic Tsundere

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
"Oh crap, we were totally expecting the anime to bomb so we didn't have anything ready! Umm... Well, here is one illustration, let's add some words on screen..."
They're saving the big guns for when she gets a rapper/hype man... maybe.

I'm partial to Shooting Star I think. Both are a bit more trancey than I prefer but they're still really well done overall.
Old 2022-04-25, 18:37   Link #68
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I liked the avatar for Kongming.

This show has more commercial possibilities for P.A. Works than anything I can recall. The OP video has nearly 3.3 million views; the two versions of the rather forgettable OP for Appare-Ranman have fewer than 500,000 views together. The Sakura Quest OP in both versions comes in just short of a million views. The Shirobako OP, "Colorful Box," appears a number of times on YouTube, but even the most popular instance has fewer than 100,000 views.
Last I checked it was almost at 4 million. It probably will be by the time you read this post. It's crazy. Only really big IPs like One Piece and Attack on Titan can pull those kind of numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
They're saving the big guns for when she gets a rapper/hype man... maybe.

I'm partial to Shooting Star I think. Both are a bit more trancey than I prefer but they're still really well done overall.
I like Shooting Star better because it isn't full Engrish. Granted, her English is better than most, but I wouldn't say good enough for an entire song. But who am I to judge?
Old 2022-04-25, 19:12   Link #69
Ragashingo
Happy Sphere

Quote:
This show has more commercial possibilities for P.A. Works than anything I can recall.
Yeah... but is it that the anime is good and a high profit path forward, or is it just the theme song and op animation happened to be really, really fun. I mean, I like the show and all, but I don't see it being so appealing as to justify those YouTube numbers without the stellar intro.
Old 2022-04-25, 20:45   Link #70
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

I hope the OP isn't coming out with the OST. That's like....2 whole months of waiting.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-25, 21:41   Link #71
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragashingo View Post
Yeah... but is it that the anime is good and a high profit path forward, or is it just the theme song and op animation happened to be really, really fun. I mean, I like the show and all, but I don't see it being so appealing as to justify those YouTube numbers without the stellar intro.
I kind of agree here. The show is fun and well-made, but the OP is really the only thing about it that’s exceptional. That said, it can be leveraged pretty extensively if they’re smart about it.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-26, 15:20   Link #72
stray
Classic Tsundere

Quote:
I kind of agree here. The show is fun and well-made, but the OP is really the only thing about it that’s exceptional. That said, it can be leveraged pretty extensively if they’re smart about it.
I'm not sure how to quantify "exceptional" but so far it strikes me as a lot more memorable than Appare-Ranman or Aquatope or anything else PA Works has done recently. For me its up there with NANA as one of the more down to earth music anime I've seen but I don't want to pass final judgement with only 1/3 of the season done.

If it was just a catchy OP it would be one thing but people are actually picking up the show, enjoying it, and rating it pretty highly after watching the OP. Whether that translates to sales remains to be seen but I'd imagine if nothing else the single for "Chiki Chiki Bang Bang" will do well.

Side note but the audio mix actually sucks on the official video with 4m views. The 60 FPS version has 3.3m alone.
Spoiler for 60 FPS:
Old 2022-04-26, 16:26   Link #73
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
The fact it is a music-based success story that is fun and well-made in the first place makes it exceptional though. The cute PA Works character designs definitely is important.
I mean, look at Carole and Tuesday, for instance. You got a minor genre and meh character designs. Who is gonna stay and watch this, let alone talk about it or buy it?

But here? Cute character designs, a likeable male protagonist, and also bait for those Three Kingdoms otaku (this is especially apparent by the intros in each episode, which were not in the manga)

Will it be profitable? Who knows. Good anime don't necessarily sell and anime that sell well aren't necessarily good. But at least it has top-level exposure thanks to its OP, and the content doesn't make people run 100 miles an hour in the opposite direction. You know, kinda like the Stone Sentinel Maze

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-27, 01:50   Link #74
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Last I checked it was almost at 4 million. It probably will be by the time you read this post. It's crazy. Only really big IPs like One Piece and Attack on Titan can pull those kind of numbers.
What are you comparing it to to, exactly? From what I've seen anime music openings/endings getting millions of views is extremely common.

For example, the first Jujutsu Kaisen opening has 39 million views here, and it's not even on posted on a Japanese channel:

The Spy x Family opening also has 4.5 million views as well:
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-27, 02:23   Link #75
Tenzen12

These are "really big IPs" though...
Old 2022-04-27, 03:52   Link #76
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
These are "really big IPs" though...
Shikimori-san's OP, Honey Jet Coaster, while not as high, is still at 1.1 million views.

Music in general performs fairly well on YouTube at numbers that would be unthinkable for general content creators because... well, they're songs. People have more reason to relisten to them compared to other kinds of videos.

This is why YouTube has their content ID system in the first place. Record labels know how much money they would be losing if other people were monetizing their songs for free.

Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-27, 04:46   Link #77
Tenzen12

That's quarter for show that started around same time and had already some fandom already. Personally I think Shikimori has exactly middle-of-road kind of numbers to compare to, when you want determine success, or... lack of it
Old 2022-04-27, 07:03   Link #78
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
What are you comparing it to to, exactly? From what I've seen anime music openings/endings getting millions of views is extremely common.

For example, the first Jujutsu Kaisen opening has 39 million views here, and it's not even on posted on a Japanese channel:

The Spy x Family opening also has 4.5 million views as well:
The Jujutsu Kaisen comparison isn't a good one because it's been uploaded over a year ago. The Spy x Family one is more apt, but as Tenzen12 stated, it's a very big IP. It's by far the most popular manga on Jump+ and it has always been very popular in the West as well.

I don't have the sales number for the Kongming manga in Japan, but I highly doubt it comes anywhere close to those two. So the OP attracting so many viewers is quite the feat.
Old 2022-04-28, 09:31   Link #79
stray
Classic Tsundere

Slow episode this time focused our our new rapper Kabetaijin. The tracksuit look definitely works for Kongming at the laundromat, though egregiously I'm not sure he was wearing shell toes.
Old 2022-04-28, 12:20   Link #80
stray
Classic Tsundere

YouTube

If anyone was curious here's the actual original version of the song in the ED... kind of fitting for the duo we have coming together.