3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2019-05-19, 11:52   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Attack on Titan - Episode 53 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Attack on Titan, Episode 53.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Character bashing is not on-topic and will not be tolerated.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Kairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-19, 17:09   Link #2
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The final charge begins.

Armin, you useless shit. I hope he'll redeem himself before this is over.
Old 2019-05-20, 05:31   Link #3
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Daisuke Ono fucking nailed it.
Old 2019-05-20, 17:15   Link #4
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
He really did.

I'm surprised this has become one of the least discussed show of the season on this forum. Not much point in making individual episode threads anymore.
Old 2019-05-20, 17:18   Link #5
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Yeah, his speech definitely roused my spirits. Though, considering his "charge" speech against Reiner and Bert, we really shouldn't be surprised.
Old 2019-05-21, 03:49   Link #6
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I'm surprised this has become one of the least discussed show of the season on this forum. Not much point in making individual episode threads anymore.
I'd like to think that's because this entire season so far is just 1 long episode that hasn't ended yet
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-23, 00:51   Link #7
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The final charge begins.

Armin, you useless shit. I hope he'll redeem himself before this is over.
In his defense, nothing anyone's done's been useful against Bertholt.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-23, 10:17   Link #8
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
In his defense, nothing anyone's done's been useful against Bertholt.
The main problem was his attitude. He was entrusted with a responsibility and dumped it all on Jean. And Jean at least tried to do something, even if it failed.
Old 2019-05-23, 16:11   Link #9
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

To be fair, I wouldn't call that "dumping" but "delegating". To me, it is just the same as Erwin asking Armin for a plan regarding Reiner and Berdholdt lurking around: if the person in charge believes they aren't qualified for the situation at hand, it is much better to delegate that role to somebody else, even if it is on minute notice.
If Armin didn't make that decision and was lost in thought for any longer, it could cost the life of Eren and everyone else.

Armin is good when it comes to thinking outside the box and long term strategy, but Jean is better when it comes to urgent assessment and short term tactics. Both are aware of their respective strong points and weaknesses, hence why Jean took the lead, but warned Armin the latter is still needed in the grand scheme of things.

By the way, due to leaks, Funimation (and most likely other simucast companies) is forced to delay the release of the simulcast, to prevent any possible incident prior broadcast in Japan.
As such, subbed episodes are to be released on Wednesday instead of Sunday. This measure is immediately in application, so Episode 54 will be subbed on Wed 29th May, instead of Sunday 26th.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2019-05-23 at 20:18.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-24, 17:17   Link #10
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Regarding the delay, I read the article on ANN and that seems to be quite the radical decision to me. Apparently, two simulcast sites leaked the episodes early (didn't mention who they were). It would make sense not to give the episodes early to these guys, but doing it for the whole world seems extreme.

The delay is surprisingly long too. You just know fansubs will be available before that.

And I must be really out of the loop because I wasn't aware of those leaks at all.
Old 2019-05-24, 17:21   Link #11
Applehell

Yeah, I can see people just switching to fansubs in that event if the companies involved are going to be this heavy handed about it.

EDIT: Well speak of the devil...

Quote:
Funimation announced on Friday that it received an update from its licensor of Attack on Titan, and will stream subtitled episodes of the second part of the Attack on Titan Season 3 anime on Sundays at 9:45 p.m. EDT starting this Sunday.

Funimation had stated on Thursday that it would delay the episodes worldwide from Sundays at 1:35 p.m. EDT to Wednesdays at 9:00 a.m. EDT. Funimation explained that sublicensees leaked new episodes for two weeks in a row in two territories before the premieres in Japan. The licensor then decided to give show materials to Funimation after the premieres of upcoming episodes in order to prevent further leaks.

The show's simuldub will still premiere on Sunday as planned. The series will also debut on Adult Swim's Toonami programming block on Saturday.

The anime premiered in Japan on the NHK General channel on April 28. The second half of the third season will air for a total of 10 episodes (episodes 50-59). Funimation, Crunchyroll, and Hulu are streaming the series as it airs in Japan.
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...-anime/.147112

Last edited by Applehell; 2019-05-25 at 04:54.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-25, 12:45   Link #12
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The French simulcaster had previously (I think?) confirmed it would simulcast the episode on Sunday as planned, which made me think it was only Funimation that was getting "punished", but after reading this it looks like the Japanese simply changed their minds. After some negotiations, I'm sure.
Old 2019-10-26, 21:06   Link #13
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Perfect Game

Ever felt walking into a narrow maze and blindly following the trail with no room to collect your thoughts in order to make sense of your surroundings? And, that's when you failed to notice the encroaching darkness has already consumed and left you helpless but to wait for the impending outcome.

When I first came across the manga I felt sullen, bitter, and powerless reading page after page at how the new recruits were begging for their very existence as they rode with Erwin to their very deaths.

It was such a powerful imagery, and now that I got the chance to watch it adapted into the anime medium my heart sank into the bowels of my gut; almost felt like crying.
Over and over the Beast Titan kept relentlessly pitching his game until getting what was left of Erwin's regiment, literally, stuck on the wall without a possible way out for the Scouts to survive.

This is when another powerful scene later came into the play and was Erwin privately confiding to Levi the futility of never reaching the basement, in spite of the mountain of corpses he built in order to get them this far.
From my interpretation, this crucial exchange made Levi to come to terms that Erwin was always a flawed person just like him and the rest of humanity.
It is precisely why they have to make the most of their deaths and their dread in order to pin down the trail that would eventually lead them to decisive victory, and that's why it was imperative for Erwin to step into the battlefield to lead those frightened recruits right into their deaths as there was no one else left capable of such task.

Deftinitely, the episode closing down with that shot of Erwin getting mauled by the boulders paints a fatalistic cliffhanger for what's to become of the Scouts the next episode, but with only death a certainty nothing else in life is either guaranteed or secured. Henceforth, now that Erwin and the Scouts accomplished their mission with their deaths, then I can only hope that this will suffice for Levi to accomplish his at the other end.
If all comes falling down according to Erwin's last strategy, then sooner or later the Beast Titan might pay a terrible price for his hubris.

Last edited by Guido; 2019-10-29 at 01:15.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote