AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Muv-Luv Franchise

Notices

Old 2013-04-19, 03:26   Link #221
Alastor Mobius Toth
Idar Lead

Eeeerrrrr....Well, I could probably make out the most of it, but it's written in Cyrillic, which I can't read - I come from the parts that adopted Latin alphabet.

Still, this is better than nothing. Thank you.
Alastor Mobius Toth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 05:54   Link #222
Timsel

Its a pity.
Well, may be someone of you perents, who studied Russian in communist Poland Peoples Republic could help you?
Timsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 10:21   Link #223
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor Mobius Toth View Post
Eeeerrrrr....Well, I could probably make out the most of it, but it's written in Cyrillic, which I can't read - I come from the parts that adopted Latin alphabet.

Still, this is better than nothing. Thank you.
Just translate it into latin script.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 13:00   Link #224
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

If anyone can copy the text into a word file and upload it, I can give it a shot at converting to english. Having problems copying the cyrillic text from the PDF.
*Update: Its ok now, managed to get my Acrobat to convert to Word. Will post the English convert up soon.

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt. Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.

Last edited by grevierr; 2013-04-19 at 13:21.
grevierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 18:54   Link #225
Mazryonh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor Mobius Toth View Post
Since I was asked, I'll be doing some more some more. I might do some vol. 5 scans while at it too.
Any chance you'll actually be posting those scans here? Or is that project cancelled?
Mazryonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 10:29   Link #226
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Can someone who can type Russian help me to contact the translator for the 2nd chapter and ask him nicely if he minds me trying to process it to english? I see that he worked with MisterV, who seems to be awol, so if its possible please help to ask as well if the original translation he got was in English, many thanks!

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt. Run in little circles, wave your arms and shout.
Old 2013-04-21, 13:56   Link #227
LeoXiao
思想工作

Wait, do you mean converting to the Latin alphabet or to English? The two are quite different...
Old 2013-04-21, 14:48   Link #228
Mazryonh

Okay, the official Schwarzesmarken webpage now displays the header picture of Ch. 30 (while the "Story" section still hasn't been updated past Ch. 24, too bad). It seems that Katia Waldheim is finally starting to come into her own and make a stand.
Mazryonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 21:27   Link #229
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
Wait, do you mean converting to the Latin alphabet or to English? The two are quite different...
English, as per my post. Latin would be a totally different beast.

Old 2013-04-21, 23:48   Link #230
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

The letters that we use for English etc are called the Latin Alphabet. That's the correct term used by publishers and linguists, etc.

It's like how the A-10C Thunderbolt II is called the Hog. ;D

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 23:53   Link #231
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevierr View Post
English, as per my post. Latin would be a totally different beast.
Um... let's try this again:

Let's say we have the original sentence У меня нет воды. When you're done "converting it to English", will it look like

a) U menya nyet vody

or

b) I have no water

?
Old 2013-04-22, 02:38   Link #232
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Quote:
Um... let's try this again:

Let's say we have the original sentence У меня нет воды. When you're done "converting it to English", will it look like

a) U menya nyet vody

or

b) I have no water

?
Erm, b). I guess I should put it as spoken English rather than spoken Latin? Sorry, I just realized that Russian can come in both text symbols.

In any case I was trying to run it through a machine translator and putting the sentences right grammatically, and getting someone from the forum to help with the trickier text that won't translate. However this might get put on hold until I can find someone to help, as I just signed up to work on a translation for Chronicles 01, and I will be gone for the best part of 3 weeks to the army.

I'm also not really certain if touching this is right, since MisterV was suppose to do the translation...

Old 2013-04-22, 03:05   Link #233
Timsel

Quote:
Can someone who can type Russian help me to contact the translator for the 2nd chapter and ask him nicely if he minds me trying to process it to english? I see that he worked with MisterV, who seems to be awol, so if its possible please help to ask as well if the original translation he got was in English, many thanks!
Well, that was my translation, and you can communicate with me in English here
No problem, if you want - translate it to English.
Original translation of ch1 and 2 were in Russian. Ch1 appeared in English only because MisterV kindly helped me with Japanese and then, to not waste his efforts - made English translation. Now he is really busy, and I am afraid he said that can`t
translate next chapter to English.
My own English isn`t so good to make literature translation but if someone will try to do that, based on my Russian translation, I can help him.
Timsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-22, 03:18   Link #234
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timsel View Post
No problem, if you want - translate it to English.
Original translation of ch1 and 2 were in Russian. Ch1 appeared in English only because MisterV kindly helped me with Japanese and then, to not waste his efforts - made English translation. Now he is really busy, and I am afraid he said that can`t
translate next chapter to English.
My own English isn`t so good to make literature translation but if someone will try to do that, based on my Russian translation, I can help him.
Excellent! Thanks for the Russian translation and update on the current status. I'll PM you with what I have soon before the end of the week. I would like to keep the english part of the project alive as much as possible with your help. Many thanks!

Old 2013-04-22, 03:18   Link #235
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Erm, b). I guess I should put it as spoken English rather than spoken Latin? Sorry, I just realized that Russian can come in both text symbols.
What I was getting at was that English is written in the Latin or Roman alphabet, while Russian is in Cyrillic. It had to do with the Polish guy up there saying he couldn't read Cyrillic, so when you said "convert" I thought you may have meant "transliterate" from Cyrillic to Roman.

Quote:
In any case I was trying to run it through a machine translator and putting the sentences right grammatically, and getting someone from the forum to help with the trickier text that won't translate. However this might get put on hold until I can find someone to help, as I just signed up to work on a translation for Chronicles 01, and I will be gone for the best part of 3 weeks to the army.
The problem with this is that Russian has a lot of grammatical case and not to mention idioms that don't really make sense when you just translate them directly into English. The sentence "I have no water" I used in my last post literally means "At me no water's", for instance, since it's the way Russians express the verb "to have".

Quote:
You're the one who did it? Cool.
Old 2013-04-22, 03:21   Link #236
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Y'know, while I'm tied down with Comet and DYRL BETA duties, in addition to writing Tropical Thunder and Garuda Wings, I wouldn't mind at all being a part of this community project to work on Schwarzesmarken.

...Shit, I'm gonna havta learn Japanese now, aren't I?

I believe in miracles.

Old 2013-04-22, 03:52   Link #237
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Quote:
The problem with this is that Russian has a lot of grammatical case and not to mention idioms that don't really make sense when you just translate them directly into English. The sentence "I have no water" I used in my last post literally means "At me no water's", for instance, since it's the way Russians express the verb "to have".
Yup, I noticed that some. But mostly I managed to get a good translation with the built in translator in word, and Google does an ok job with it too. It translated your phrase as "I do not have water". So I think it should be more or less ok, other than the mentioned tricky parts.

If you can help out as well that would be great, for the German terms, which I suspect are the ones causing the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Y'know, while I'm tied down with Comet and DYRL BETA duties, in addition to writing Tropical Thunder and Garuda Wings, I wouldn't mind at all being a part of this community project to work on Schwarzesmarken.

...Shit, I'm gonna havta learn Japanese now, aren't I?
Sure, another translator / editor to help out would be great, and if you do know how to read Japanese its already more than I can do. If you can assist with the Russian - English translation I'll appreciate it.

Last edited by grevierr; 2013-04-22 at 04:04.
Old 2013-04-22, 05:17   Link #238
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Sure, another translator / editor to help out would be great, and if you do know how to read Japanese its already more than I can do. If you can assist with the Russian - English translation I'll appreciate it.
I am utterly crap at German and Japanese side of things, but I can do what I do for Comet and ML: DRYL and do the English editing.

Damnit, now I gotta save up for 1) Japanese lessons and 2) getting my TESL certification.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2013-04-22, 07:13   Link #239
Alastor Mobius Toth
Idar Lead

>Got Cambridge IB English

>Never has to do any English test, ever again.

Because that's how academia works, apparently.

I can always try and help with any Japanese/English translations (although my kanji is pretty limited - my hiragana is much, much better), and some translations from slavic languages, as long as they're all written in latin alphabet.

Also, my idea for making scans on vol. 5 is postponed again. It just takes too much time (which right now, I don't really have) to sit down and cram it into my scanner. The fact that I can right now use only one hand doesn't help.
Alastor Mobius Toth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-22, 08:00   Link #240
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Ok guys, the first page is up here. Please leave comments on the google doc if you do any changes, thanks! The pages will be in pastebin links.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...SZFl1aHc#gid=1